Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/23/2002 4:48:58 PM EDT
Anyone out there using a 7.62 x 39 upper? If so, what kind of accuracy are you getting? What type of ammo? (Russian, Chinese, etc.) Any magazine problems? I'm thinking about purchasing one for hunting, who sells them? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 9:52:22 PM EDT
I had one and sold it (it was an OLY unit). Accuracy was decent (better than my SKSes). It ran the best on steel cased ammo (like the Russian Hollowpoint in the 'white bricks' or Wolf). It didn't function reliably when I tried the Winchester white box 7.62x39. Good High Cap mags are tough to find, the hybrid AR/AK from USA seem to be the best. Hunting magazines (like the Colt 7.62x39 magazines and the 5/10 round MWG plastic mags) work fine - Heck you can just load 5 rounds in a USGI magazine and it will feed ok (just don't try more than 7). Who Sells them? Olympic Arms (www.oly.com/usa.htm) has the uppers and DPMS sells the parts to build your own. Look around and you can find Colt units (I used to see them advertised in Shotgun News).
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:57:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 3:50:06 AM EDT
I have a Colt upper in 7.62x39 and I was very surprised with the accuracy. With a big scope on it, the thing will shoot 1.5" at 100 with Russian or Chinese ammo and it will put 5 shots into an inch with handloads. I don't remember the exact load, but I believe it was with H322 behind the old Hornady 123gr SP .311" diameter. You can't get those bullets anymore however....they are now downsized to .310". The hybrid magazines are the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 8:03:34 AM EDT
Yes the hybrid mags are the way to go. Here is a pic of a friend shooting mine. There are 4 casings still in the air. This is a USA hybrid mag. Some do need some tweaking but they can be made to work. [img]http://home.cfl.rr.com/c3stuff/762/cycling.jpg[/img] They also have some muzzleflash: [img]http://home.cfl.rr.com/c3stuff/762/muzzleflash.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:26:14 AM EDT
Nice pics man!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:12:46 PM EDT
Just food for thought. .300 Whispers will do whatever a 7.62x39 will do for hunting and then some. They can be loaded with 110 grain bullets on up to 250 grain matchkings and everything in between.(240 and heavier subsonics are soooooo quiet) you will most likley get sub MOA out to 200 meters. The heavy bullets tend to destabilize on impact and give good wounds, although sierra does not recommend matchkings for hunting. Also you can use all your USGI mags with no modification.......no extra mags to buy or worry about.....what more could you ask for? Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:48:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jedi_rifleman: Just food for thought. .300 Whispers will do whatever a 7.62x39 will do for hunting and then some. They can be loaded with 110 grain bullets on up to 250 grain matchkings and everything in between.(240 and heavier subsonics are soooooo quiet) you will most likley get sub MOA out to 200 meters. The heavy bullets tend to destabilize on impact and give good wounds, although sierra does not recommend matchkings for hunting. Also you can use all your USGI mags with no modification.......no extra mags to buy or worry about.....what more could you ask for? Just food for thought.
View Quote
This is quite true. But ammo is still limited (loaded that is) to Corbon (IICR). Most of it would have to be hand loaded. 7.62x39 ammo is cheap and plentyfull. For someone who wants to shoot stuff from the dark side, this upper is perfect. Granted, mags are the issue. At some point, I want to get one. Top Crest is working on a piston version in 223 (but I want one in 7.62x39). He just posted an update and hopes to be selling by Feb/March (IIRC). A piston op one should getaway from the problems of dirty ammo associated w/ the 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:37:30 PM EDT
Yup, the 7.62x39 AR-15 is great for blasting away. Accuracy is suprisingly good, too. With my Colts, I've shot 1.5" groups at 100 yards from a bench using garden variety American Eagle ammunition. It's liked the foreign stuff I've fed it, too. Good fun. It's a great way to enjoy and appreciate the AR-15 from a different perspective. Patience and a little extra money should get you some appropriate magazines. I've built up a nice little collection over the years and got some pretty good deals by simply keeping a vigil eye out and being in the right place at the right time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:56:58 PM EDT
yup... I saw a 30rnder USA go for $19.00 on an auction once. I forgot to bid it up.... [:D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:47:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kaliburz: A piston op one should getaway from the problems of dirty ammo associated w/ the 7.62x39.
View Quote
I've never had a problem shooting Wolf in mine, cases of it. True, it is dirty, but the dirt never caused a function problem. Just more cleaning at the end of the day :) I thought about a Whisper upper, for about 2 seconds ;)
Top Top