Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2002 6:57:36 AM EDT
I bought an M4 upper receiver assembly for my RR from a friend of mine. He told me it was all Bushmaster. The 14.5" barrel is marked "B MP 5.56MM 1/7", but the flat-top upper receiver, the bolt carrier and bolt have no markings on them at all. Is that typical for a Bushmaster upper?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe that "BMP 5.56mm" is typical of Bushmaster markings, although they mostly provide 1/9 rather than 1/7 barrels.  I went through the same thing a few years ago and I do know that their uppers do not say "Bushmaster" anywhere.  There are several things to look for though such as chrome lined bore, double-pinned bolt carrier key, etc.  Go to the Bushmaster website - it has a whole laundry list of identifying features to help you with this question.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Check for what looks like some grey paint on the inside of the upper.  That is the dry lube, and I believe it is only found on Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Generally, upper receivers are not marked by the manufacturer.  The markings you see are forge die markings from the aluminum forge that made the raw receiver forgings.

The only mark that sounds like it MAY be missing is the "MP" stamp on the bolt that indicates that it was magnetic particle tested.  Take another look.

-Troy
View Quote

I don't know abouT Bushies, but I don't see any MP markings on any of the other aftermarket bolts I've examined in the past couple of years.  That's why I "retired" a practically new Rock River bolt, and replaced it with a GI surplus C MP assy recently.  The Rock River, and other aftermarket units I've seen are NOT radiused at the edge of the hole. You can darn near cut your finger on some of them; the edges are so sharp. [:D]

Though I own an SP1 Colt, I'm not Colt fanatic, by any means----except when it comes to the innards. Bolts, Carriers, Triggers and Hammers in my 3 ARs are all either Colt or military contract parts.  I'm not saying that nobody on the aftermarket makes decent internals;  only that when I have the Colt stuff in them, I don't have to worry--------------as much[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top