Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2002 7:42:25 AM EDT
I recently purchased a post ban Colt M4 with the fixed position "collapsible" stock. I have a pre-ban lower that I am getting ready to turn into a rifle. Couple of questions.

Can I turn the fixed position stock into a collpsible stock. It looks like its the same stock, just pinned. If so, what parts do I need?

Am I going to be leagal doing this as long as the now collapsible stock is going on a pre-ban lower?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
For your own sake and peace of mind, you'll need to get verification from Colt that this was indeed a preban lower and that at some point before September 13, 1994 that it was assembled into a full rifle.  If in fact that you do have a preban configured lower, then it would be legal for you to put a telescoping stock on it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the beauty of a Colt preban.  You can easily tell if it was produced prior to the ban by the serial number.  And Colt only produces complete rifle (not separate lowers) so you are assured that it began life as a "complete evil rifle."  [:D]

The plot twist comes in proving what has happened to the rifle since production.  I.e., a legal transfer of a preban lower, and not a "stripped" lower which BATF has apparently concluded becomes a postban.

Of course, verification letters are available from Colt.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, to answer your question, no, the fixed type stocks can not be turned into collapsabel ones. Plus, if you look, you'll see it uses a full length buffer tube.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, to answer your question, no, the fixed type stocks can not be turned into collapsabel ones. Plus, if you look, you'll see it uses a full length buffer tube.
View Quote

Amen.........
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll just buy a new stock, and maybe keep the fake on my M4.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Using a pre-ban receiver to make a rifle gets you a flash supressor and bayonet lug.  Making it into a carbine also gets you a telescopic stock.  That's three evil features, not two.

Whichever one you intend to be your primary weapon (vs. firearm) should be the preban.  No substitute for a flash supressor at night.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry, I misread the post.  I thought you were asking if you could put a telescoping stock on a preban lower that had a fixed "telestyled" stock.  As the other members said, it's not just pinned. It's also a full length buffer tube, and MAY use a full A2 buffer.  Some Fixed "tele-styled" stocks do use the carbine lengthed buffer and spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top