Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2002 12:13:51 PM EDT
Hi there, I am thinking about turning a EA J-15 of mine to a DCM Rifle. I've been thinking about getting the RRA DCM upper and the various other parts. As I understand from the catalog, it has the Wylde chamber. Does this mean that the rifle is specifically made for Heavy 77-80gr bullets? I guess the term for it is, "throated" I'm asking this because I'd like to get into High Power rifle, but the ranges near me only shoot 1-200 yard matches...which in my humble opinion it doesn't really warrent the use of such "heavy" bullets. Thanks for your help guys...
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What factor has more to do with bullet weights used is the twist of the barrel, not necessarily the chamber. The Wylde chamber was designed by Bill Wylde one of the early pioneers in AR match rifle development. It is basically the body of a NATO chamber but with a much shorter throat. With the NATO chamber you touch the lands with the Sierra 80 grain bullet at about 2.550" OAL with the Wylde is more like 2.465" OAL or thereabouts. The RR DCM upper comes with a 1 in 8" twist which will handle all bullet weights from 52 to 80 grains. I have shot many 52's through even faster 1 in 7" twists with excellent results. This upper will shoot the 52's and 53's great, which is perfect for reduced course shooting. I would not hesitate to shoot it as such. Also, if you do go to a full distance course, the 1 in 8" twist will allow you to shoot the 80's as well. Just because it is a "fast" twist barrel does not mean it will not shoot the lighter (shorter) bullets.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one and it grouped under 4/10in at 100yds with Black hills 50grain moly and iron sights!

Those are quality parts
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
So does this mean that when ever I shoot with this upper I will have to use rounds with the longer length overall or could I use say factory Winchester 55gr's....or for the sake of it's all I can think of, what about South African surplus stuff...not that I want to but just for general knowlege..I'm just asking because I've heard that with throated guns, you can only use those rounds...with the longer over length... My point to all this is I'm wondering with the purchase of this rifle/upper, will I also need to consider purchasing a reloading press and it's various equipment to shoot it..Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 5:27:31 AM EDT
[#4]
You can shoot either ammo in the RR.

All rifles are "throated". The throat is just forward of the chamber in all rifles. With the Wylde chamber it is just a bit shorter than the standard NATO chamber in order to reduce bullet "jump" to the rifling. This enhances accuracy. Even at with the shorter throat of the RR, you still cannot find magazine length loaded ammo that will engage the rifling. This really only come into play when loading bullets such as the 80's that are meant to be fired slow fire, one at a time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you so much for your time and efforts, they are appreciated..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top