Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2002 8:56:18 AM EDT
If you could only afford one rifle, which of these two would it be? Mainly a target rifle, but something you could take in case things got bad.  My thought is that an Aimpoint can always go on an SPR, but you cant always get accuracy/ballistics from an M4 at long ranges.  Opinions please.  Jim
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Do the 18 inch SPR, it will be able to handle the CQB almost as good as the M4.  for a target rifle, the 18 inch SPR will be a much better choice. although you should not take anything away from a M4, New-ARGuy had proven the M4 is abale of MOA at 300yards. and this company Basher claim a 1 inch group with a 15 inch barrel carbine.  if you are going to spend the money, you should look to Wes @ MSTN to build up an upper for you. He has build many SPR uppers for AR15.com members, and that are all great looking piece of art. Talk to Wes, he will steer you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Just one? 18".
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Chen, I was considering using a 20" BM gov't profile barrel and having Kurt's cut it down to 18"  Although, it may just be worth leaving it 20" for simplicity's sake. Thanks, Jim
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't the SPR's have a tight match chamber?  I seem to recall reading somewhere on this board (maybe in Cincinnatus' SPR thread) that they don't deal with harsh environments as well as the milspec 5.56 chamber.

If this is true, I'm not sure that I'd want the SPR to be my one and only SUR.

This all IMHO.  Please correct me if I'm wrong on the above info as the closest I've been to an SPR is the computer screen.

EDIT: Argh.  I'm trying to find the thread that referenced the the SPR chambers and have not been able to do it.  It is not the Cincinnatus SPR thread, nor the Stokes SPR II thread.

Can anyone confirm the above information?

TIA
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Just one?  A 14.5"  is sub MOA capable to 300 yards and better for CQB.  Also most small arms conflicts occur under 100yds.

If you want a precision rifle for long range get a .308 bolt action.

An SPR is a niche gun and should be a 2nd or 3rd upper not your primary.  Stick with a chrome lined barrel for your first AR.  Id get a 20" govt profile over an SPR if it were my first AR.  Of course Id get a 14.5" over a 20" for a first rifle too.

If you are primarily using it for target shooting at under 600 yds then an SPR is fine just dont take self defense into consideration because it falls short in the reliablity dept to any chrome lined barrel/chamber.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
You could split the difference, get a 16" dissipator SPR with an OPS civilian muzzle brake.

Just a thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top