Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2002 9:45:52 AM EDT
So, free-floating the barrel improves accuracy supposedly. OK I'll go with that, that's what I want but:

How much accuracy is gained?

I have also heard that free float tubes allow the barrel to heat up too much. A hot barrel is supposedly less accurate.

Does the free float cancel itself out because of this during rapid fire?

of course I'm not talking about those super transformer, free-float, ultra vented doohickey hangers that I will never be able to afford.  
also:

Are free float tubes any less durable? would they bend because they are only attached in the rear like,if it were used to club a zombie after the ammo was gone?

Is there a solution to my question under $150?

Just trying to make a 16" as accurate, simple, and functional as possible without going broke.

Thanks for helping someone new to ARs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So, free-floating the barrel improves accuracy supposedly. OK I'll go with that, that's what I want but:

How much accuracy is gained?

I have heard 30% but it will vary from rifle to rifle.

I have also heard that free float tubes allow the barrel to heat up too much. A hot barrel is supposedly less accurate.

They only heat up faster if the float tube is designed wrong.  They can allow faster cooling if designed with enough ventialtion.

Does the free float cancel itself out because of this during rapid fire?

No

of course I'm not talking about those super transformer, free-float, ultra vented doohickey hangers that I will never be able to afford.  
also:

Are free float tubes any less durable? would they bend because they are only attached in the rear like,if it were used to club a zombie after the ammo was gone?

They are no less durable.  Possibly more durable but if they break you cant snap a handguard piec in to swap out a broken one.

Is there a solution to my question under $150?

Yes

Just trying to make a 16" as accurate, simple, and functional as possible without going broke.

Thanks for helping someone new to ARs.

Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info and thanks for bearing with me and my dumb questions as I obviously knew nothing about these things. But, now I do!

Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#3]
i use a 20" a2 with a heavy free
float tube and a standard heavy barrel not the big bull barrel. i use
it for varmite shooting and have gotten great results out to 320yrds.
and have shot 1.5" groups at 200yrds
at the range consistantly. i use 55gr
3200fps ballistic tips in a 1in9
barrel. i do admit i dont blast with
it, just varmite but i get all the
accuracy i want for under 1000.00 which icludes my 50mm 8 to 32pwr
swift scope. with a 16 inch barrel
you may loose some down range accuracy but i got a buddy with the
same set up you have and he just shoots twice as many rounds for the
far stuff. it looks like he is laying
down covering fire.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
saltshaker how many zombies have you clubbed this week also mohecus what the hell is a "varmite"
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
well, I normally only work on the werewolf and vampire disposal team, but sometimes the occasional zombie crawls out and causes trouble. You DO know how hard they are to kill right?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.fvza.org/index.html

hr

Cool site :D  Looks like I'm fit for the Assault Team.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
ok smarty pants. "varmites" is the
word for the messy piles of blood and
fur sitting between 100 and 300 yards
in front of my ar15 "varmite" killer.
oh and its a noun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top