Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2002 12:49:40 PM EDT
need some help.  I want to get into the ar15 seen and have been doing quite a bit of reading on various models.  I am interested in the bushmaster carbine 16 in.  I also would want to equip it with a scope that i can "grow into".  I would appreciate some feedback of how to get the most equipment for my money, and not want to have to upgrade in a year b/c i am bored with my entry level purchases.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for replying.  I have a couple more q's for you.  1. what is the difference b/t carbine and steel barrels 2. what advantage does the removable handle have 3. Are their any other brands of ar15 that you would recommend over the bushmaster, and why? thanks for the education.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
1. "carbine" generally means shorter barrel than a "rifle".  Steel is a barrel material.

2. The removable carry handle has a flat-top receiver with a rail for mounting a multitude of things like scopes, red dot sights, etc.  With a fixed handle you're limited to what you can mount w/o it being too high or too far forward.

3. Rock River Arms (RRA) is generally considered to be almost as good as Bushmaster (some would argue better) and cheaper.  Main difference is that BM uses the mil-spec 4150 barrel steel and always chrome-lines the barrel.  RRA uses 4140 steel and only chrome-lines on special request ($30 extra and only some models).  You want chrome-lined (not chrome-moly).  You probably can't tell the difference in the steels.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top