Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/30/2002 11:22:36 AM EDT
Is there a way to to replace the front sight taper pins with something else? I.e., something that you don't have to replace every time you remove them? I've heard that some people use some other method to attach the standard front sight to allow indexing adjustments. Any ideas?

Thanks,
fiz
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 12:48:33 PM EDT
I have used JP gas blocks that are held on with screws, but I have not seen a regular sight modified that way. I have not ever had problems in salvaging the taper pins after removing them and just putting them back in after sight removal at reinstallation time. It is very important that the gas port hole on the sight matches up with the gas hole in the barrel. Using the taper pins pretty much guarantees that things will go back like they were before sight removal. Screws would not have that advantage. Are you trying to solve some problem that I do no understand? The taper pins are pretty durable. Watch-Six
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 1:25:27 PM EDT
No problems, it's just that most people I've talked to recommend replacing them each time they're removed. If it's not really necessary, all the better.

Originally Posted By Watch-Six:
Are you trying to solve some problem that I do no understand? The taper pins are pretty durable. Watch-Six

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 8:58:47 AM EDT

You have to mill four small flats on the barrel besides drilling and tapping a new fsp. Not all that big of a deal and it allows you to index the front sight "slightly".
I've seen them done with set screws on the bottom of the fsb also.
I think Bushampster *glues* the fsb on it's DCM uppers. You usually only see this on target grade uppers, FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:21:16 AM EDT
you have to replace them???

that's news to me.

just to be sure. are we talking about the two pins that hold the front sight/gas block onto the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:38:11 AM EDT
Yeah, that's them. Everything I've read about removing & reinstalling the front sight says that you should replace them, but it seems kind of silly to me as long as you don't really screw them up when you remove them.

Originally Posted By 308wood:
you have to replace them???

that's news to me.

just to be sure. are we talking about the two pins that hold the front sight/gas block onto the barrel.

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 2:20:11 PM EDT
i can't recall them being tapered.
they just tapped out when i changed uppers.
maybe i need to go back and locktite them in???
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 10:05:29 AM EDT
I have had taper pins break or flatten on the end when they are removed, but it has not usually happened. If they are not damaged, I cannot see any reason not to just reuse them. Works for me. Watch-Six
Top Top