Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2002 3:11:05 AM EDT
I am ready to purchase a S.I.R. for my AR.  I see there are two different versions of the S.I.R.  Is there one that I should be leaning more towards?  I've got the Colt M4 upper W/ removable carry handle.  

Thanks.  You guys have all the answers!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#1]
M model looks better since it has more "integrated view". That requires remove of your delta ring/spring as you install it. Usually, the removal is done by gunsmith if you don't destroy the delta ring.

C model is still good and no need to remove the delta ring to install it.

IMHO, I will go for M model. Say if you've paid $400 for the SIR, why don't make it look damn good!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I suppose you could say the M model does have somewhat more of a stream lined look. My presumption was that the M model mounted the rail more sturdy than the C Model. That was the main reason I bought the M model. I was mistaken. They are both just as sturdy.

When installed your overall rifle will be about an ounce lighter with the M model, compared to the C Model. Installing the M model does not require a gunsmith. Best way to do it is to get a dremel the delta ring off. It's an $8 part and is easily done. I was nervous about it too, but once I saw how easy it was, (and I am not handy with tools at all) I have every confidence in telling people installing the M model is easy.

Having said all of that, if I had to do it again, I would probably go with the C model. The C model is an easy "drop on - take off" accessory. Once the M model is installed, it is on your gun and you cant really use anything else.

Believe me, I am not unhapy with the M model on my gun at all. I think the thing is fabulous and I really am in no way disapointed I got the M over the C. But like I said, if *I* had to do it again, I'd probably go with the C. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with the -C model.  The idea of dremeling the delta ring off hadn't been brought up yet, and I've got a permanently-mounted muzzle brake.

I also wanted the option of being able to take the SIR off and putting regular handguards back on, in case I got a new upper.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The C version is more versatile.  Should you ever need to sell you upper, you can revert back to the original handguards with ease.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top