Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/13/2002 3:11:05 AM EDT
I am ready to purchase a S.I.R. for my AR. I see there are two different versions of the S.I.R. Is there one that I should be leaning more towards? I've got the Colt M4 upper W/ removable carry handle.

Thanks. You guys have all the answers!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:03:21 AM EDT
M model looks better since it has more "integrated view". That requires remove of your delta ring/spring as you install it. Usually, the removal is done by gunsmith if you don't destroy the delta ring.

C model is still good and no need to remove the delta ring to install it.

IMHO, I will go for M model. Say if you've paid $400 for the SIR, why don't make it look damn good!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:14:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2002 7:59:46 PM EDT by new-arguy]
I suppose you could say the M model does have somewhat more of a stream lined look. My presumption was that the M model mounted the rail more sturdy than the C Model. That was the main reason I bought the M model. I was mistaken. They are both just as sturdy.

When installed your overall rifle will be about an ounce lighter with the M model, compared to the C Model. Installing the M model does not require a gunsmith. Best way to do it is to get a dremel the delta ring off. It's an $8 part and is easily done. I was nervous about it too, but once I saw how easy it was, (and I am not handy with tools at all) I have every confidence in telling people installing the M model is easy.

Having said all of that, if I had to do it again, I would probably go with the C model. The C model is an easy "drop on - take off" accessory. Once the M model is installed, it is on your gun and you cant really use anything else.

Believe me, I am not unhapy with the M model on my gun at all. I think the thing is fabulous and I really am in no way disapointed I got the M over the C. But like I said, if *I* had to do it again, I'd probably go with the C. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:50:09 PM EDT
I went with the -C model. The idea of dremeling the delta ring off hadn't been brought up yet, and I've got a permanently-mounted muzzle brake.

I also wanted the option of being able to take the SIR off and putting regular handguards back on, in case I got a new upper.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:04:10 PM EDT
The C version is more versatile. Should you ever need to sell you upper, you can revert back to the original handguards with ease.
Top Top