Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/10/2002 2:09:10 PM EDT
Hi,
I'm ready to buy my first AR type rifle and I need help. I was pretty much set on the Bushmaster Varminter, which is a 24" flat top. I posted in the competition forum and found out that the varminter rifle is going to severely limit me in what I can shoot in competitively. So I am taking their advice and posting exactly what I want to do with the rifle and I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

First off I live in Jersey, so pre ban is not an option. Neither is using the rifle for any kind of hunting. I love the flat top look and would like an AR that I can mount a scope with. I've handled the 16" and they don't fit me real well, I am partial to the 20" barrels and longer. I love the fluted look and also enjoy that vented floating handguard look, as opposed to the M16 handguard style. I shoot with a friend at our local range every few weeks but nothign serious. I would like to get into some kind of competition down the road, but not the kind that you have to run all over the place (3 gun?) problem is I am not aware of ALL the different type of matches available. And lastly if I had to reach for a battle rifle, I guess this would fit that need too.

I know that's a lot of info but I would REALLY apprecaite any help you can lend. I have been reading these boardss and the news groups for months and still feel kinda lost so I thought it was time to post.

Regards,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:28:47 PM EDT
You may want to look into the highpower situation since you live in New Jersey. There are a lot of highpower matches in your state and close by within a short driving distance.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:35:05 PM EDT
Don't settle for anything less than a COLT, BOG!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:11:56 PM EDT
Don't settle for Colt!

RRA for better quality AND a better price. They haven't sold out, either.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 11:12:50 AM EDT
If you want to shoot DCM/CMP or NRA Service-Rifle you'll need an AR that's nearly identical to an M16, and it doesn't sound like that's what you want. NRA has a class that does allow other rifles, but I don't think they allow scopes. If you have a good mount, you can swap the scope for irons and back w/o losing the zero so that won't be a big deal, but the lack of a front sight post will be.

I'd suggest checking out the competitions in your area, and get a rifle that's legal for whatever you're interested in. Or get the Varminter now and a second upper for competition later.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 5:41:58 PM EDT
check out a club in your area, go to a some different types of matches, then determine what the rules/limitations on the guns are. Figure out what you like to shoot. Chances are your going to find a couple different types of matches that you would like to shoot in. FYI, you'v got to shoot in a three gun to appreciate how much fun it is!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 5:43:34 PM EDT
COLT! everyone knows it! they're just bitter about buying something less.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:42:17 PM EDT
I'm pleased w/ my BM 2o" V-match. trigger isn't perfect, but I'm still less than 1 MOA out of the box. Only add ons were a nikon monarch scope, an ARMS riser, b-square rings, & and a harris bipod. I love this rifle! ZT
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:05:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kc0hak:
Don't settle for Colt!

RRA for better quality AND a better price. They haven't sold out, either.

If you want to save some$$$$ and you want the same quality, Rock River Arms is the way to go.
They make really nice rifles..
Top Top