Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/30/2002 8:40:01 AM EDT
Hi guys,

I have tried searching for info on this before I decided to post. I've been trying to trade a preban Colt HBar barrel for a 16" barrel preferably Colt.My barrel is unfired.
There's a guy who has a 16" to trade,but the only markings are SS 5.56 . My first guess is that its an Olympic made in stainless. Are these barrels any good,or are they garbage? And last but not least how do they compare to a Colt mfg. barrel?

If any of you have a Colt or Bushy to part with let me know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 10:34:28 AM EDT
Oly stainless is OK, Oly SUM (Stainless Ultra Match) is very good for a precision rifle.

The Colt's worth should be closer to the SUM than to the standard stainless.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 1:52:42 PM EDT
I had a Oly medium contour 1:9 Blackened Stainless Brl. It was one of the most accurate brls of the dozen or more I have owned.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:32:06 PM EDT
I have two Oly barrels, one a 20" fluted SS button cut the other a 16" SUM nonfluted. The 20" shoots my 60gr. handloads under 1" at 200 yards. The 16" has not been to the range since I initially zeroed it at 50 yards. It made one tiny hole at that time with 5 rounds. I'm sure it will do very well at 100 yards when I get the time to try it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:31:47 AM EDT
I got an OLY 16" heavy bbl. It's pre-ban and markes SS 5.56 as well. Apparently oly states that this is a match barrel and their top of the line is called ultra match. Mine knocked out the thought I once had that a 16" carbine wouldn't be as accurate as a 20" rifle, I can often outshoot my friends and one of then has a 20" bull bbl. It's not that I'm better than him, he can use my carbine and cut better groups than he can with his rifle.
Top Top