Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/22/2002 1:34:48 PM EDT
Has anyone coated a bolt and carrier with NP3?
Would there be any disadvantages?
Just something that I am pondering
Dave
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 1:49:20 PM EDT
Not a bad idea, it will hlep you clean your carrier faster, and it will act as a lube for those difficult times you run dry.

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 1:53:13 PM EDT
Thats what I was thinking. I was just looking for some point\counterpoint on the issue before I decide to throw some money into the idea
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:17:03 PM EDT
I have a friend with NP3 on the bolt assembly of his competition AR. The only part is wasnt good on was the extractor. The teflon in it was actually slippery enough to allow it to occassionally slip off case rims without completing extraction. He put a standard extractor on it and it worked great. Cleans up beautifully and its self lubricating.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 7:41:57 PM EDT
FOR INFO
this was the reply to the email I sent to Robar

Dave,
Thank you for your interest in Robar. Yes, we do the bolt and bolt carrier for the AR15 all the time with no problems at all. The price for the NP3 is $90.
Please feel free to call or email us if you should have any further questions.

Thank You,
The Robar Companies
623-581-2648
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:43:23 PM EDT
But you have to remove the milspec chrome lining of the bolt carrier. This was my Q&A with Robar.

What would the cost be to NP3 a Colt AR15 bolt and bolt carrier but to leave the inside of the bolt carrier chrome plated?

Dear Devron
Thank you for your interest in Robar. We can NP3 the bolt and bolt
carrier, but we would have to coat the whole part, the price is $90. Please feel free to call or email us if you should have any further
questions.

Thank You,
The Robar Companies
623-581-2648

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 2:30:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DaveMcDonald:
Would there be any disadvantages?

Giving someone $90 for it
I doubt if you'll ever get $90 worth of increased anything from your investment.
But, If it's what you want, go for it. It's your rifle and your $$$. It won't hurt much more than your wallet ;)

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 3:02:58 PM EDT
Then my follow up question to them...

Can you robar over the hard chrome? I dont want to strip it and I dont care if the NP3 does not stick to the hard chrome.

Devron,
I just spoke to our plating technician in detail about your request. There would be no way for us to avoid having to strip the chrome off, prior to finishing and they thought it best if you kept the chrome on. But, unfortunately, we would not be able to finish it for you. We can NP3 just the bolt, the price is $45.
Please call or email us if you should have any further questions.

Thank You,
The Robar Companies
623-581-2648
Top Top