Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2002 6:16:47 PM EDT
I am in the process of building an AR and have been struggling with the choice of an upper.  I found one today that seems to fit the bill, but I have a few questions.

The one I like is the RRA CAR A2 with Mid-Length Handguards in the Post-Ban Configuration.  It would be the 3rd one down on the following link...

http://www.rockriverarms.com/car_a2.htm

Here are my questions...

1.  What is the quality of these uppers?  The price seems almost too good to be true.

2.  It says they are Wilson HBAR 16" Chrome Moly barrels...

2a.  Would the "Wilson" they are referring to be Wilson Combat?
 2b.  Chrome Moly?  Does this mean it is a chrome lined barrel or the entire barrel is made of chrome moly?

3.  It says muzzle brakes are an option.  I could not find any brakes on their site.  Does anyone know what brakes RRA offers?

4.  Are these heavy profile... M4 profile... or gov't profile barrels?  

5.  How does the heat dissipation compare on whatever profile it is to a heavy profile?

6.  Are they heavy enough to be fluted?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You have made a wise choice,RRA quality is as good as bushy & armalite & even colt,Fit & Finish are better.The wilson barrels are made by wilson arms not combat,chrome lined chamber & bore are a $30 option not standard.The brake shown on the pre ban configurations on RRA'S web site is as far as i know the only one they offer,the option is you can get it on post ban uppers,it is pressed on & has no function,just for looks.The upper you described is an HBAR config. but they do have m 4 profile.I ordered the exact same upper with a fake brake cant wait to get it.If you have anymore questions reply back & i will try to help,i researched RRA for a couple months before i chose them.There is a guy here who is the authority on RRA & also sells them,PETE IN NH,you can find him on the industry forum at legal transfers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
RRA does offer a post-ban ATF approved muzzle brake, also.  It didn't get approved until after the catalog came out.  It's similiar to a Wilson combat brake, looking kinda like an A2 flash suppressor, but the end is closed except for the hole for the bullet's exit, and the ports are different.  They pin and weld them onto a post ban for an additional $35.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
1.Quality: Incredible.. This is the only ar I own or have heard of that you cannot get the top and bottom to wiggle: it is rock solid.

2.Wilson Barrel: Wilson barrels is different that Wilson Comabat

3.Chromoly means barrel is chromely not chrome. I would reccommend gettiing a chrome lined version..

4.There is really no reason for a brake on a .223 rifle other than for muzzle protection. Personally, I do not use them.

5. The barrels are Hbar profile barrels dependant on which variant you get.. The only real reason to go with an M-4 style barrel is for looks imho.

6. Not sure about the fluting but then again on this type of weapon that is another looks issue..

I have an RRA CarA-4 with midlength hanguards and also a BM A-3 20" have never layed eyes on a finer produced Ar-15 period when it comes to the RRA rifle....
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I am also struggling with the same issue. I cannot seem to locate the "perfect" upper for my rifle. I want a 20" A2, chrome lined, 5.56 chambered upper for a service rifle.

The RRA has a .223 Wylde chamber. After reading various info, I cannot determine the reliability of this chamber with surplus ammo, which is a critical consideration with a service weapon. The DPMS has the 5.56 chamber, but as far as I can tell, no option for the chrome lining.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. This post has already helped alot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#5]
According to Pete at Legal Transfers, getting a chrome lined 20" is not currently an option.

I'm still searching...
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I just took my brand new RRA home, and there is absolutely no wiggle between upper and lower.
The fit and finish are just fine, I am glad to say.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
5. The barrels are Hbar profile barrels dependant on which variant you get.. The only real reason to go with an M-4 style barrel is for looks imho.

Try "Weight Savings" - especially on that lever we call a barrel.  If you shoot offhand alot, carry the rifle around alot, or go to 'urban rifle' type classes; you WILL appreciate the weight savings.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Try "Weight Savings" - especially on that lever we call a barrel. If you shoot offhand alot, carry the rifle around alot, or go to 'urban rifle' type classes; you WILL appreciate the weight savings.

Definitely.  I feel that way everytime I shoot my RRA 2001 LEGP M4.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
how about trying an upper in 300 whisper. I heard great things about it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top