Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2002 10:32:06 PM EDT
Can a regular person like me get one?

Not a look-alike, but the genuine article.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Uhh yeah there is nothing special about the upper.

If you have a post-ban lower however you will have to have the bayonet lug ground off and either sleeve the flashhider or replace it with a post-ban compliant muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Hold on!  No you can't just get one.  The barrel on the XM177 is 10.5 or 11.5 inches so it has to be registered as a SBR.  The moderator is considered a silencer so it falls under NFA/class 3 rules.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Almost forgot.  No XM177 had a bayo lug.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hold on!  No you can't just get one.  The barrel on the XM177 is 10.5 or 11.5 inches so it has to be registered as a SBR.  The moderator is considered a silencer so it falls under NFA/class 3 rules.  

Yes but he can get one.  However most XM177 uppers that are sold have a 5.5" flash hider that looks like the Moderator and is welded on making 16" required for legality.

If you are going for a "look-alike" that is easy - if you want an "exact copy" you are going to have the issues Kurt brought up (then it becomes dependant on you buying two $200 tax stamps - one for the SBR - one for the Moderator; and you living in a Class III friendly state).  I would think finding an acutual XM177 Moderator would be very difficult.  As far as I know they have not been produced in decades (Colt didn't want the NFA issues).
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
That figures.  This is the freest country on earth, after all.

Thanks for the help, though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#6]

As far as I know they have not been produced in decades (Colt didn't want the NFA issues).
I don't know when it was actually made and registered, but I bought a Colt-marked moderator from Dennis Todd several years ago. I'm sure they probably just registered the ones they had left laying around the factory so they could get rid of them. BTW, Colt still makes machine guns. ;0)

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Colt still makes machine guns.

Actually they make automatic rifles if you want to be a wise-a$$.  I don't think they've made real machine-guns since WWII ( I used to know a guy who made REAL machine guns at Colt at that time).

Anyway it was the pain of having to deal with the NFA over a single part - in addition to the whole rifle that soured Colt.  They didn't have a problem making them till the BATF came up with that silly interpretation.

If you still got a line on them why not shoot the contact info over to QBit so he can make an informed decision as to cost and availability.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The reason I heard was that the Carter administration banned exporting evil, nasty weapons (including anything "silenced") and since the US military had already lost intrest in it they stopped making them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#9]

If you still got a line on them why not shoot the contact info over to QBit so he can make an informed decision as to cost and availability.
I think Dennis Todd's email is [email protected] and I think it cost me $250. That was about 5 years ago.

Nope, it cost me $350. I have another one registered by S&H (Neil Smith?) of Ark. thatcost $200. Got the numbers all mixed up. My misspent youth seems to be catching up to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top