Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/3/2002 1:16:47 PM EDT
What's the quality like on these units? The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for a unit that will fit my Bushmaster Dissipator. My PRI tube was a "no go" because of where the gas block is positioned (underneath the HG's). So I was looking at either the KAC RAS M5 or this thing. Yeah, don't laugh, fellas. Just need some feedback on the FOBUS stuff if you have any experience with 'em. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 1:19:13 PM EDT
i assume you mean the Fobus integral rail handguards???

i have a a few of the holsters and i love them, good quality.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 1:27:11 PM EDT
I had a chance to handle a set (and vertical foregrip) at the Indy 1500 show last weekend. They have a profile similar to the M4, except that the single-piece panels (one top, one bottom) slide off the handguards, exposing the full length rails molded into the plastic. The rails are plastic, so I don't know how they'll hold up as compared to aluminum, but the M3 light slips right on (and off). I did notice that the rail covers did not have a seamless fit. They were solid, but there was a gap between the cover and the handguards. Not really a big deal. The dealer was asking $90 for the set (handguards and grip), but I passed (for now).
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 2:34:54 PM EDT
Plastic handguards are no good for optic and laser mounting platforms and if the rails are plastic< they make it even worse cause they crush a dif. amount every time you re-mount an optic/laser as the plastic is very much effected by temperature( they will not hold zero). Those cheapo plastic hand guards are only able to hold a flashlight and pistol grip, but don't pull on the pistol grip too hard.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:34:47 PM EDT
What was I thinking, 3rdtk!? I guess I just had to ask.

So, I guess I'm looking at the KAC RAS M5 for my Dissipator.

If ARMS made a rifle length SIR system I'd snap that up in a heart beat, because I like the fact that you can take it OFF and ON in case the rifle were to get extremely dirty (i.e. heavy field use). I know the KAC RAS M5 can be taken off rether easily, but it doesn't free float the barrel like the ARMS SIR.

This is what I started to think about when I recieved my PRI tube. It's a great design (and a helluva lot cheaper than the FF KAC tube pluse cooler because of its carbon fiber construction!), but how the heck will I be able to take it off if I need to get to stuff stuck in the tube?

Well, just a thought. Thanks for the info, 3rdtk.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 12:01:10 PM EDT
According to Bushmaster, the Hogue FF forend or the C-more forend will fit the Dissipator. I was going to see if the Armalite or the PRI would fit. I guess I can cross the PRI off the list.

I was wanting to do something like the SPR rifle with my Dissipator. The SPR uses a PRI tube with a special ARMS #38 that goes all the way to the end of the tube and is mounted to it, 3 other short rails mounted at end of tube @ 3, 6 & 9 oclock and a PRI fold down frt site.

You also might be able to grind the gas block down smaller so the PRI tube will fit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:39:13 PM EDT
ARMS are coming out with a full length SIR, but they haven't said too much about what, if anything, is planed for even more features. They said some time this year. Hope so.
Good Shootin, Jack
Top Top