AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Per Foxtrot08:
"By adding an engine oil, you’re over saturating the grease number first off. Which just leads to a slinging mess. Two, the detergents in the engine oil will break apart the grease, which leads to its further inability to protect as a grease.
If you want a thinner grease, buy a fucking thinner grease."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
normally I use synthetic oil

Debating trying this blend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTpWfjVFfEU

Per Foxtrot08:
"By adding an engine oil, you’re over saturating the grease number first off. Which just leads to a slinging mess. Two, the detergents in the engine oil will break apart the grease, which leads to its further inability to protect as a grease.

only had a few minutes to digest some of foxtrot08 but here are a couple relevant threads to read when I have more time

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Best-grease-for-home-brew-lube-Motor-Oil-Synthetic-grease-mix-/7-759311/?page=2

archived :(
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yup, bought a can of it myself, like 15 years ago. I use it in syringe, with a 14 gauge needle (both off eBay).
I put that S#it on a lot of stuff besides firearms.
Just wish it was a little lighter. Doesn't say on the can, but may be a NLGI-2. Edit: Confirmed on their web site, #2 (Magnalube-G tech info)

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/z237/duaxmachine/20220504_112331.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use Magnalube grease on all my firearms. Rarely do I bother with oil, and I don't go out of my way to buy any. Grease stays put longer and does a better job of keeping carbon in suspension.

Yup, bought a can of it myself, like 15 years ago. I use it in syringe, with a 14 gauge needle (both off eBay).
I put that S#it on a lot of stuff besides firearms.
Just wish it was a little lighter. Doesn't say on the can, but may be a NLGI-2. Edit: Confirmed on their web site, #2 (Magnalube-G tech info)

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/z237/duaxmachine/20220504_112331.jpg

Nice. On the rare occasion I need to thin, I've mixed in MPro7 to good effect.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Fireclean FTW

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
In my experience, the most important factor in AR lube is whether or not it's in the gun. Buy whatever, use whatever. I honestly don't think it matters. I use mobile 1 synthetic because that's what I have  laying around. I've used tons of different stuff, but never seen any difference in performance or cleanup. I'd use canola oil or sunblock if I needed to, and probably not be any worse off for it.

As a matter of fact, I'm lubing my rifle with sunblock after the next cleaning. Stay tuned for updates.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
50 years ago my dad told me if it slides grease it, if it spins oil it. I have wandered from this advice over the years, but not often.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
50 years ago my dad told me if it slides grease it, if it spins oil it. I have wandered from this advice over the years, but not often.
View Quote

A myth that's stuck around for a long while- depends on the application and specification. Again, as far as firearms are concerned, [most] any lube is better than no lube, and they're not very picky. I don't think that rule is causing much in the way of harm, though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I took some 90 wt gear oil from the rear end of my car and some 10-40 synthetic I drained from my son's motorcycle.  I mixed them together and let them set for a month to let anything heavy sink to the bottom.  From there I put it in a small squirt tube and that is what goes on all my guns. It really sticks to the metal and when I wipe it off it takes the carbon with it.  The only issue is it has a bit of an odor.  

If it doesn't go onto my guns it goes into the chainsaw as bar lube.  

kwg
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Per Foxtrot08:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
normally I use synthetic oil

Debating trying this blend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTpWfjVFfEU

Per Foxtrot08:

That's actually a lot easier said than done. Go and try to buy a lithium complex grease in NGLI #00 in less than a 35lb bulk pail -- you're gonna have a really hard time. About the thinnest you can get in a non-industrial size/amount for lithium complex is NLGI #0. While I don't disagree cutting in commercially packaged engine oil probably isn't the best way to go about it, the suggestion of "just buy thinner grease" isn't necessarily a solution, either. However, you can find the base oil minus additives for most grease mixtures and cut that in and it shouldn't be an issue.

What that guy is showing in the video is more like #000 or even a bit thinner. Probably works just fine as long as it's used fast enough and replaced often enough that the thickener base doesn't start breaking down from the detergents.  

Edit: Also not sure what he means by "oversaturating the grease number." I'm assuming he's referring to the NLGI grade, and while he possibly makes a good point about the detergents, the "grease number" literally refers to its thickness. Grease is nothing more than oil combined with a thickener -- simple soap, complex soap, or non-soap -- and potentially an additive package. Mixing in more base oil minus detergents or additives is exactly how you get a thinner grease and lower NLGI grading.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's actually a lot easier said than done. Go and try to buy a lithium complex grease in NGLI #00 in less than a 35lb bulk pail -- you're gonna have a really hard time. About the thinnest you can get in a non-industrial size/amount for lithium complex is NLGI #0.
View Quote

@krdt

Any experience/opinions on THIS ?

I was thinking about giving it a try....
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@krdt

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's actually a lot easier said than done. Go and try to buy a lithium complex grease in NGLI #00 in less than a 35lb bulk pail -- you're gonna have a really hard time. About the thinnest you can get in a non-industrial size/amount for lithium complex is NLGI #0.

@krdt

Teflon cooked off gives bad shit I think.  Dallas from CherryBalmz talked about that.

I use Cornhead grease from tractor supply.  semi liquid like a good milkshake.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Teflon cooked off gives bad shit I think.  Dallas from CherryBalmz talked about that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@krdt

Yeah, I've read that as well, from several with differing opinions. Not much actual data though.

So many firearm lubes/products contain PTFE, it's difficult to sort.

From what I gather (and I've not dug too deep into it) PTFE depolymerization is somewhere between +500-700*F, and that's where the bad juju comes into play.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@krdt

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@krdt

Yeah, as mentioned, if you aren't bothered by the PTFE content, it's great stuff. Essentially a pre-packaged version of the mix I make with Superlube oil and NLGI #2 grease.

Concerns about PTFE aside, as far as performance under harsh conditions, Superlube is one of the best in my experience. It also holds up as a long-term storage lube without issue as well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lubrication of the BCG.
Have to believe this has been beat to death in the past but I couldn’t find anything specific and new products and technology march on.
Grease or oil for the BCG? Whats the latest greatest consensus?
View Quote

Oil. Grease is unnecessary, and will cause issues in cold weather.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, as mentioned, if you aren't bothered by the PTFE content, it's great stuff. Essentially a pre-packaged version of the mix I make with Superlube oil and NLGI #2 grease.

Concerns about PTFE aside, as far as performance under harsh conditions, Superlube is one of the best in my experience. It also holds up as a long-term storage lube without issue as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@krdt

Thanks man, I appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lubrication of the BCG.
Have to believe this has been beat to death in the past but I couldn’t find anything specific and new products and technology march on.
Grease or oil for the BCG? Whats the latest greatest consensus?
View Quote
AR15 was designed for oil. It gets oil.

One of the key maintenance improvements Stoner made over the previous generation’s requirement for 2 different lubes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I got an email a couple days ago regarding this.

They also announced they will be starting to make some CLPs to their lineup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I  just combed through the site pretty thoroughly and I can’t find anything about supply issues

I got an email a couple days ago regarding this.

They also announced they will be starting to make some CLPs to their lineup.

Man, I placed my order on 4/30, they took the money, but still have not shipped.  I have emailed CS, cannot get a reply.  Not sure what to think at this point, but wanted to throw the warning out there for anybody thinking about ordering from Cherrybalmz
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top