Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the thing about the barrel life round count claims, they never specify any quantifiable data in relation to the claim. No mention of firing schedule or timelines, just throwing around an impressive sounding number.

Firing schedule is going to be the largest contributing factor regarding barrel wear in relation to round count. Believe it or not there is a massive difference between shooting 900 rounds at 1 rpm and 900 rounds at 90 rpm.

So the beauty of such a claim is if you want to challenge it, you have to blow 20,000 rounds through a $450 barrel just to prove what most of us already know. Nobody is going to do it because a barrel is a wear item.

Round count is mostly insignificant for serious end users because if a barrel doesn’t shoot to standard it gets chucked in the trash and replaced. Doesn’t matter if it has 100 rounds through it or 10,000. Thanks for paying your taxes, it goes to good use.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is the thing about the barrel life round count claims, they never specify any quantifiable data in relation to the claim. No mention of firing schedule or timelines, just throwing around an impressive sounding number.

Firing schedule is going to be the largest contributing factor regarding barrel wear in relation to round count. Believe it or not there is a massive difference between shooting 900 rounds at 1 rpm and 900 rounds at 90 rpm.

So the beauty of such a claim is if you want to challenge it, you have to blow 20,000 rounds through a $450 barrel just to prove what most of us already know. Nobody is going to do it because a barrel is a wear item.

Round count is mostly insignificant for serious end users because if a barrel doesn’t shoot to standard it gets chucked in the trash and replaced. Doesn’t matter if it has 100 rounds through it or 10,000. Thanks for paying your taxes, it goes to good use.
View Quote

You're exactly right about most of this, but I'll say again that barrel life has been selected for in military weapons before. Hodge's whole concept was not to cater to the civilian commercial market.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’m not deflecting anything, I’m saying a CHF barrel from FN  will outlast a Colt barrel, you know it too but you just want to argue. It’s your thread, I’m done posting in it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice dodge, I’m saying right now, even if a Hodge is just a rebranded FN chf barrel will the Colt outlast it given the same firing schedule and ammo? You know it won’t, you know a DD is a better barrel than the Colt.

You're you're sure doing alot of deflecting.  Again that you're unable to post any data to support your claims about your Hodge barrels you're trying to shift the topic to DD barrels again?

I’m not deflecting anything, I’m saying a CHF barrel from FN  will outlast a Colt barrel, you know it too but you just want to argue. It’s your thread, I’m done posting in it.

I agree that is very likely that a chf from Fn will outlast a colt.. i believe that that’s a quality of CHF baffles.  how much that difference is, is unknown, but it’s likely negligible. We all know the socom colt is more accurate than chf fn barrels, but chf barrels in general may last longer.

The point I’m making is that ALL of the product descriptions from FN barrel resellers mention ‘FN’s proprietary steel’… not Hodges, or PSA’s or spikes etc. it’s FN’s steel formulation.  It’s crazy to believe that FN has different steels they use for each of these manufacturers or a different Chrome lining process.   I’d like to be proven wrong.

Again, My belief is Outside of barrel profile and maybe gp size, the hodge is no different than the spikes or PSA fn barrels.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Colonel Townsend Whelen is often quoted for saying "only accurate rifles are interesting."

Fight it all you want, but it's still going to be true from civilians to the mil, especially to those who feel more passionate about these things like competition shooters or people who's reputations are known for among many other things, like being able to shoot straight using the best of the best.

The H troll "fan" is in every thread where Hodge is being under the knife. Always defending and posting hearsay and links to words, not action founded conclusive data. If he thinks that longevity that's mostly negligible, even hair splitting matters more than being able to put a round in things that need to be shot and downed right this second at all effective distances required for it, or holes made precisely where it's being aimed at by competent shooters doing service rifle type of competitions or just run and gun, then he definitely has another thing coming.

$450 is a lot to drop for snake oil. I understand that some people will always feel the need to defend what they've spent much money on or were victors finally to beat the rest of the intsa peeps or the fellow redditers to have something that the rest do not. But absolutely none of that quantifies defending something to people who want straighter shooting guns using straighter than longevity snake oiled barrels that come as a premium yet can't do premium holes other than maybe lasting more than a few hundred or maybe a thousand more. I don't know about the rest of y'all but I would absolutely do not want that, because if you know you'd KNOW.

Thanks once again Molon, and thank you for the nod towards Sionics with that private side chat of ours.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Colonel Townsend Whelen is often quoted for saying "only accurate rifles are interesting."

Fight it all you want, but it's still going to be true from civilians to the mil, especially to those who feel more passionate about these things like competition shooters or people who's reputations are known for among many other things, like being able to shoot straight using the best of the best.

The H troll "fan" is in every thread where Hodge is being under the knife. Always defending and posting hearsay and links to words, not action founded conclusive data. If he thinks that longevity that's mostly negligible, even hair splitting matters more than being able to put a round in things that need to be shot and downed right this second at all effective distances required for it, or holes made precisely where it's being aimed at by competent shooters doing service rifle type of competitions or just run and gun, then he definitely has another thing coming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A couple of Hodge's advocates were in the Army's top SMU, and at least one of those gentlemen was a sniper in that unit for 5 years. But you must know better than they do, since you went to Gunsite and everything.

$450 is a lot to drop for snake oil. I understand that some people will always feel the need to defend what they've spent much money on or were victors finally to beat the rest of the intsa peeps or the fellow redditers to have something that the rest do not. But absolutely none of that quantifies defending something to people who want straighter shooting guns using straighter than longevity snake oiled barrels that come as a premium yet can't do premium holes other than maybe lasting more than a few hundred or maybe a thousand more. I don't know about the rest of y'all but I would absolutely do not want that, because if you know you'd KNOW.

Great job superimposing your fallacious narrative into others, some of whom are real professionals, it's a great look for you.

Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Colt M4A1 barrel is made from 4150V Chromium-Molybdenum-Vanadium per Milspec B-1159E and is chrome-lined. I purchased my latest Colt M4A1 barrel for close to half the price that I paid for this Hodge barrel.  Combined with the superior accuracy/precision that they can produce, they provide a great bang for your buck.

Here's a little known military secret about the Colt M4A1 barrels:  they have been used to shoot M855A1.

View Quote
Kind of off topic but in the Australian rifle trials in the 80s, M16A2s with the same spec barrels failed the accuracy/endurance barrel life part of the tests. The Colt barrels failed at 5-6000 rounds, while the Steyr AUGs (CHF, CL) had no loss of accuracy to over 10k rounds when they stopped the tests

https://www.mediafire.com/file/r6xjht7gfczas1a/Australian_Army_AUG_Evaluation_Report_-_Complete%252C_OCR%2527d.pdf/file
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hand-loads topped with the Sierra 52 grain MatchKing.

View Quote

Load data?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

/thread

Say no more, there is no other argument to make against this. It's pointless to argue longevity to the point of insanity. Even the poors here will replace barrels before that.
View Quote

Once I notice accuracy falling off the barrel is out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You're exactly right about most of this, but I'll say again that barrel life has been selected for in military weapons before. Hodge's whole concept was not to cater to the civilian commercial market.
View Quote

He's 100% right. The Military ask's for all kinds of retarded shit they think they need. Their spending other people's money.

The SCAR is a perfect example with the non-reciprocating charging handle. They just had to have that too, until they got it, now FN makes one that reciprocates.

Did the Military lay out the firing schedule, so the vendors knew what the test criteria was going to be to measure this barrel life they had to have?

At the end of the day, it's all Bullshit marketing to sell a product. But since I'm the one paying the bill, I'd like a little bit more than what you or Hodge are selling.

Problem is, after the debacle in Afghanistan, where there is no accountability for the Billions lost, no one gives a fuck over a $500 barrel, so they just chalk it up to "Hey, they asked for it" and leave it at that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A couple of Hodge's advocates were in the Army's top SMU, and at least one of those gentlemen was a sniper in that unit for 5 years. But you must know better than they do, since you went to Gunsite and everything.

View Quote

Do these gentlemen have names?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Molon if you need any M855A1, let me know. It's on me.
View Quote

I just might take you up on that offer.  What say ye ARFCOM?  Would you be interested in me doing an accuracy evaluation of M855A1 through multiple barrels, along with chronographing?

Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I just might take you up on that offer.  What say ye ARFCOM?  Would you be interested in me doing an accuracy evaluation of M855A1 through multiple barrels, along with chronographing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Molon if you need any M855A1, let me know. It's on me.

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Really? I live in his head still because I made the informed decision to give up on the LPVO for my rifles?? And because I had suggested that I ran my guns which happened to be one of the top training schools for civilians where lessons were learned and then implemented on my guns, instead of running my mouth like he was doing before I blocked his childish self for going off at someone else who stopped liking the LPVO on his guns too??

lol, he still mad about that, good kill validation right there and the kicker? 'ol double derp wasn't the troll that I was referring to because I didn't even know that he was posting in this thread. Not that any of it matters though

When will toxic people learn that their authority fallacies do not have any place in these arguments? Oh, and I'd like to know exactly what this "sniper" or any sniper for that matter, wants a slightly longer lasting barrel that's inaccurate over an accurate one that lives are depending on? And I didn't know that our snipers are now all using the M4 to snipe with. Anybody got a link or is this more of the "if you know, you know" BS?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Really? I live in his head still because I made the informed decision to give up on the LPVO for my rifles?? And because I had suggested that I ran my guns which happened to be one of the top training schools for civilians where lessons were learned and then implemented on my guns, instead of running my mouth like he was doing before I blocked his childish self for going off at someone else who stopped liking the LPVO on his guns too??

lol, he still mad about that, good kill validation right there and the kicker? 'ol double derp wasn't the troll that I was referring to because I didn't even know that he was posting in this thread. Not that any of it matters though

When will toxic people learn that their authority fallacies do not have any place in these arguments? Oh, and I'd like to know exactly what this "sniper" or any sniper for that matter, wants a slightly longer lasting barrel that's inaccurate over an accurate one that lives are depending on? And I didn't know that our snipers are now all using the M4 to snipe with. Anybody got a link or is this more of the "if you know, you know" BS?
View Quote
Who are you talking to?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
YES
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes please. I'd also like to see M80A1 too, but that might be asking too much.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes please. I'd also like to see M80A1 too, but that might be asking too much.
View Quote

Unfortunately I don't test 7.62
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, that would be phenomenal! There is very little public data available on that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He's 100% right. The Military ask's for all kinds of retarded shit they think they need. Their spending other people's money.

The SCAR is a perfect example with the non-reciprocating charging handle. They just had to have that too, until they got it, now FN makes one that reciprocates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They sure do sometimes. They also have specific uses that may not be relevant to most civilians. I thought a comparison with another "wonder steel barrel" like the HK416 would be more apt than a reciprocating charging handle. Also, there are pictures and rumors suggesting many units are moving on from the 416, and Hodge designed his barrels a while ago so maybe priorities have changed in that time?

Did the Military lay out the firing schedule, so the vendors knew what the test criteria was going to be to measure this barrel life they had to have?

At the end of the day, it's all Bullshit marketing to sell a product. But since I'm the one paying the bill, I'd like a little bit more than what you or Hodge are selling.

I'm not privy to the test data, but why wouldn't the vendors know what was being tested? I don't know if you are actually trying to imply that I sell Hodge barrels, but I don't even own one and I might not ever. Hodge doesn't seem to have a problem selling things regardless of what I say. The government does lots of things with tax money that the taxpayer is not allowed to know about unfortunately.

Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do these gentlemen have names?
View Quote

Yes. Chuck Pressburg (sniper for 5 of his 26 years of SOF service) and Jon Canipe (currently a director of project management at Magpul).
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes. Chuck Pressburg (sniper for 5 of his 26 years of SOF service) and Jon Canipe (currently a director of project management at Magpul).
View Quote

One guy who was around the military testing DD and Hodge barrels was an arfcom member and I believe he is the Marine that Geissele sued. He had some posts about the Hodge barrels and testing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#23]
@Molon

Do you have any other 14.5 FN mid length CHF barrels you can test?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They sure do sometimes. They also have specific uses that may not be relevant to most civilians. I thought a comparison with another "wonder steel barrel" like the HK416 would be more apt than a reciprocating charging handle. Also, there are pictures and rumors suggesting many units are moving on from the 416, and Hodge designed his barrels a while ago so maybe priorities have changed in that time?

I'm not privy to the test data, but why wouldn't the vendors know what was being tested? I don't know if you are actually trying to imply that I sell Hodge barrels, but I don't even own one and I might not ever. Hodge doesn't seem to have a problem selling things regardless of what I say. The government does lots of things with tax money that the taxpayer is not allowed to know about unfortunately.

View Quote

No, not at all, and my bad if you thought that, I'm just venting in general. I can't disagree with anything your saying...But I've seen a lot of stupid shit in the small arms world over the last 20 years...

I still remember when Hammer forged barrels were a must and how all the barrel makers hyped them. And the HK guys and the 416 love, like that was the most super awesome gun ever....it gets old.

At the end of the day a good barrel that gives good accuracy with a decent life span under mostly normal conditions should not have a lot of drama.

Link Posted: 1/27/2022 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think that would be a worthwhile test. The M855A1 is a bit more spicy than the older M855 green tip. I've only used the A1 in my issued M4, not in any of my personally owned weapons, although I have been tempted to take my 14.5 CHF mid length uppers and throw it on the work gun lower and see what happens. It would be my luck that my DIV CSM would show up and throw a worst tantrum than a spoiled kid in the Walmart toy aisle and chop me from E-8 to E-1 in the blink of an eye.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hell yea!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I can't afford to feed Molon M80A1. Its $6-10/rd
View Quote

Would you happen to have any personal results? Like recoil differences between it and regular NATO weights? Group data between it and on maybe a few barrels types?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think that would be a worthwhile test. The M855A1 is a bit more spicy than the older M855 green tip. I've only used the A1 in my issued M4, not in any of my personally owned weapons, although I have been tempted to take my 14.5 CHF mid length uppers and throw it on the work gun lower and see what happens. It would be my luck that my DIV CSM would show up and throw a worst tantrum than a spoiled kid in the Walmart toy aisle and chop me from E-8 to E-1 in the blink of an eye.
View Quote

Don't risk it, it would be nice but not that nice for you in particular and thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Only shot 2 rounds so far. It puts a serious ding in AR500 3/8" at 50 yards through a 16"
View Quote

The reason I ask is because I've been noticing how much more pleasant, easier to recover from much less recoil, and faster on the chronograph 130 TTSX has been. I've been wanting to give the Hornady 125 FMJ projectiles a try because dang, the TTSX or the regular TSX of any kind is expensive.

Thanks for the update tho.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are they both Lake Arthur PD guys?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not that it's really relevant to anything in this thread, but Chuck was at one point to facilitate his training services, not sure about Canipe. Having 26 years of experience makes his knowledge base and skillset in high demand.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks once again Molon, and thank you for the nod towards Sionics with that private side chat of ours.
View Quote

I swear by my DSA Arms barrels. Cheap and get the job done.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I swear by my DSA Arms barrels. Cheap and get the job done.
View Quote

I don't know the specs on them so I can't comment.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@Molon  Do you have any other 14.5 FN mid length CHF barrels you can test?
View Quote

Negative ghost rider.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#40]
@JohnDough
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That load has shot well in every single AR-15 barrel that I've owned.

View Quote

If this is the same RL15/52gr SMK load you’ve used, I’ve also found it to be accurate in everything across the board.

Good write up, as always. I’ve been extremely pleased with the Hodge 14.5” and 12.5” I have.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Will you be doing a velocity comparison? Everyone claims the hodge barrels have much higher velocities than similar lengths.
View Quote

I’m only seeing a 125-150 fps drop between a Criterion CORE 18” and Hodge 12.5” with a variety of 69gr-77gr hand loads.  Granted, I don’t have another 12.5” to compare it against, so take that for it’s worth.  Impressive, but I also don’t think it’s unusually high for a 12.5”.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’m only seeing a 125-150 fps drop between a Criterion CORE 18” and Hodge 12.5” with a variety of 69gr-77gr hand loads.  Granted, I don’t have another 12.5” to compare it against, so take that for it’s worth.  Impressive, but I also don’t think it’s unusually high for a 12.5”.
View Quote

Mark Smith shot his Hodge 12.5 on video with chronograph. A 10-shot average of IMI 77gr was 2,498fps for him. Is that about consistent with your experience?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CY9IsJPBJW_/
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Why is it called the "John Wick Profile"?

And how/why is the hodge defense barrel "optimized" for 855a1? I'm genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And how/why is the hodge defense barrel "optimized" for 855a1? I'm genuinely curious.
View Quote

We call that “optimized” word they use a vague qualitative embellishment…. I’m proven to be optimized at eating chicken wings, farting and look at yummy milf asses at day care pick up. Prove me wrong :)

Hodge 12.5 owner
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are/were a lot of rumors that it was/is loaded hotter than most any other service round and thus harder on barrels and shortens barrel life. Having a shorter barrel like the 12.5 and using a suppressor would only make it that much worse. So mitigating that would be a priority as well as the gas port size for hot ammo, especially when suppressors are added to the equation.  

I've only used M855A1 in issued M4A1s, and it's the only ammo I've used in the M4A1 besides limited amounts of green tip for a live-fire exercise, so it's difficult for me to tell if it's notably "hotter" than say IMI 77gr that I've used in my personal ARs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've only used M855A1 in issued M4A1s, and it's the only ammo I've used in the M4A1.
View Quote

Unpossible.  The barrel of your M4A1 has not been optimized and it would be worn out after firing 87 rounds of M855A1.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Unpossible.  The barrel of your M4A1 has not been optimized and it would be worn out after firing 87 rounds of M855A1.

View Quote

"Optimized" does not mean that "everything else is nearly useless." https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/optimize
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

"Optimized" does not mean that "everything else is nearly useless." https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/optimize
View Quote

I’m guessing that was his point, that you may have missed in his sarcasm
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top