User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As I suspected, you reach a point of diminishing returns with a $450 barrel and accuracy.
View Quote

It looks like there are no returns.  I would like to see this compared against other FN made barrels like the spikes, PSA etc.  a comparison against the Daniel defense chf barrels would be great as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
But but but the instragramers tell me Hodge is the best it is soaked in Hodge specialsweatjizsauce to make it more accurate; they could tell ya wants in it but they'd have to kill ya then so it's a secret.  Plus $450 for a CL barrel with a shamrock is a STEAL.  Just ask the special squirrel Hodger-police.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This barrel "liked" this load better than the several other loads that I fired through it.

View Quote

Dang!!!!  

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Exactly what in the construction of 885A1 makes you think it needs some specially optimized barrel?  Its a copper jacketed projectile like any other.  Snake oil
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like digging deeper than product/marketing descriptions. Molon, for example, helps with that by providing data on a specific trait for a variety of barrels. I would imagine FN has a variety of proprietary steels for different uses, same with HK and their 416. The Hodge barrels claim to be optimized for M855A1 (hint: not your average gun enthusiast), I think interpreting anything else is a personal bias, it's widely known there are a few barrel brands that have used that ammo in service.

Exactly what in the construction of 885A1 makes you think it needs some specially optimized barrel?  Its a copper jacketed projectile like any other.  Snake oil

Why did Geissele and Daniel Defense market the URGI with a 855A1 optimized barrel?
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why did Geissele and Daniel Defense market the URGI with a 855A1 optimized barrel?
View Quote

Make and sell a standard broom.

It sells okay.

Then market it as a broom optimized for sweeping in austere environments. Don't change the broom at all. Also charge more for it now.

It suddenly sells to a brand new set of clueless consumers. And almost none of them are ever going to be in the austere environment from the marketing.

Those people will defend paying more for that broom to a point of being red faced and up 2 hours past bedtime.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Supposedly, Hodge uses a specialty steel that can last twice as long.
View Quote

It was all brought up in the Hodge thread and the people who hate on Hodge continue to hate even after it was posted that the Hodge did the best in the SEP and even after a copy and paste from a guy who did the testing said it did the best. It’s easy…don’t want Hodge parts then don’t buy them. Nobody is forcing it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It was all brought up in the Hodge thread and the people who hate on Hodge continue to hate even after it was posted that the Hodge did the best in the SEP and even after a copy and paste from a guy who did the testing said it did the best. It’s easy…don’t want Hodge parts then don’t buy them. Nobody is forcing it.
View Quote
You're showing a hate for people making valid points yourself. You don't have to to participate if you can't handle their criticism for a brand you're showing favoritism for. Nobody is forcing you either to read these threads or certain posts within them rather.

Consumers are allowed to question things. Especially in a relevant thread such as this one where people like myself actually care about specs and what's going on and what the consensus is. $450 is a lot to some people and some take barrel purchasing not lightly. I've personally been affected and have changed course in barrel purchases based on both the thread's OP and those verifying with the OP with their own personal experiences.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should try...

posting a source.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the biggest issue is this barrel being priced where it's at. Without any data points to back it up it seems on par with barrels half (or less) its price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You should try...

posting a source.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should try...

posting a source.

I posted in the Hodge thread and I’m not rehashing it. People are free to spend money on what they want, I really don’t care.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think the biggest issue is this barrel being priced where it's at. Without any data points to back it up it seems on par with barrels half (or less) its price.
View Quote

This. I'm not sure what Jim Hodge does, other than not actually make anything, or what makes the barrels with his name better than any other FN CHF barrel. The general response of "if you know, you know" doesn't really fly. Obviously it's not accuracy or this barrel should consistently perform better than a Colt SOCOM. I guess a Hodge FN CHF barrel is cheaper than a Novekse...
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Molon in terms of general accuracy and longevity that the Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrels are the best "bang for the buck" at the moment?
View Quote

The Colt M4A1 barrel is made from 4150V Chromium-Molybdenum-Vanadium per Milspec B-1159E and is chrome-lined. I purchased my latest Colt M4A1 barrel for close to half the price that I paid for this Hodge barrel.  Combined with the superior accuracy/precision that they can produce, they provide a great bang for your buck.

Here’s a little known military secret about the Colt M4A1 barrels:  they have been used to shoot M855A1.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#16]
great right up and nice shooting barrel.

on a side note if these barrels are so long lasting can FN just not produce them or tweak them somehow to compete against the DD barrel in the URGI? didn't the DD barrel win by a pretty wide margin as far as longevity goes with the new m855A1 ammo? not being a smartass but a general question.  If HK would sell just barrels for the a standard DI M4 it would of been nice to see these barrels compete in their test.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You should try...

posting a source.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should try...

posting a source.

That would be lovely.

I find it hard to believe FN is using a different ‘special steel’ just for the barrels they make for hodge.

Every reseller of FN barrels mentions a special steel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Colt M4A1 barrel is made from 4150V Chromium-Molybdenum-Vanadium per Milspec B-1159E and is chrome-lined. I purchased my latest Colt M4A1 barrel for close to half the price that I paid for this Hodge barrel.  Combined with the superior accuracy/precision that they can produce, they provide a great bang for your buck.

Here’s a little known military secret about the Colt M4A1 barrels:  they have been used to shoot M855A1.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Molon in terms of general accuracy and longevity that the Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrels are the best "bang for the buck" at the moment?

Colt SOCOMs are great barrels, do they hold up with 855a1? And if they do, why is the DD barrel in the URGI being touted as “specifically designed for m855a1”
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Colt SOCOMs are great barrels, do they hold up with 855a1? And if they do, why is the DD barrel in the URGI being touted as “specifically designed for m855a1”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly believe it is a marketing gimmick.  I’d love for someone to prove otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#20]
It’s funny that everybody points to the accuracy as the reason a Hodge barrel isn’t worth the price.  That’s never been started anywhere as to the purpose of this barrel.  But, if it holds up as well as “anecdotal” reports, the cost of ammo you put through it to wear it out will eclipse the price of the barrel.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
great right up and nice shooting barrel.

on a side note if these barrels are so long lasting can FN just not produce them or tweak them somehow to compete against the DD barrel in the URGI? didn't the DD barrel win by a pretty wide margin as far as longevity goes with the new m855A1 ammo? not being a smartass but a general question.  If HK would sell just barrels for the a standard DI M4 it would of been nice to see these barrels compete in their test.
View Quote

Supposedly DD uses a……wait for it…. A secret steel in the URGI barrels and won’t disclose what’s in it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I honestly believe it is a marketing gimmick.  I’d love for someone to prove otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USASOC already proved it with the URGI. MLGS URGI outlasted and is a more reliable gun than the m4.

ETA Crane proved it
https://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/14/nswc-crane-carbine-mid-length-gas-system-testing-shows-increased-performance/
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It’s funny that everybody points to the accuracy as the reason a Hodge barrel isn’t worth the price.  That’s never been started anywhere as to the purpose of this barrel.  But, if it holds up as well as “anecdotal” reports, the cost of ammo you put through it to wear it out will eclipse the price of the barrel.

View Quote

True, but for the price of it you can buy 2 barrels that will outshoot it and combined last longer. Which way makes more sense?
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Supposedly DD uses a……wait for it…. A secret steel in the URGI barrels and won’t disclose what’s in it.
View Quote

That's nothing but BS that was started by Bill Geissele leading up to the civilian release of the URG-I and he was never able to provide a legitimate source for that claim.  Once the part numbers for the URG-I components were revealed by members of the military it was found that the DD barrel used in the URG-I was just their standard 14.5" mid-length barrel made from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium steel.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I posted in the Hodge thread and I’m not rehashing it. People are free to spend money on what they want, I really don’t care.
View Quote

This is just bull shit.

You say you don't care, but then you also try to post things supporting Hodge, but will not substantiate them because you "don't care". For someone who's identity seems to revolve around having bought a Hodge rifle, I'd expect your reasoning to be more than paper-thin.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

is that just for the URGI barrel or for all their barrels? Do we even know what barrels were placed in the crane test? or did they just pick carbine colt barrel from past and compare it to a midy from DD? or did they take multiple mfg middy's and run them against each other and against the colt/or now FN carbine barrels
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is just bull shit.

You say you don't care, but then you also try to post things supporting Hodge, but will not substantiate them because you "don't care". For someone who's identity seems to revolve around having bought a Hodge rifle, I'd expect your reasoning to be more than paper-thin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is just bull shit.

Three Hodge rifles…and the Army has already said the Hodge AU Mod 2 did the best in the SEP.  That’s why it was selected to write future requirements off of. I wish Hodge still used the DD barrels because it was definitely a more accurate barrel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

the Army has already said the Hodge AU Mod 2 did the best in the SEP.  
View Quote

Would that be the same Army that intentionally sabotaged the M16 during early field testing to make it have malfunctions and degraded accuracy to try to block its adoption in favor of something else that they wanted instead?

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Would that be the same Army that intentionally sabotaged the M16 during early field testing to make it have malfunctions and degraded accuracy to try to block its adoption for something else that they wanted instead?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the Army has already said the Hodge AU Mod 2 did the best in the SEP.  

Would that be the same Army that intentionally sabotaged the M16 during early field testing to make it have malfunctions and degraded accuracy to try to block its adoption for something else that they wanted instead?

Probably not, nobody that was in the Army then is in the army now. I get what you are saying though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Three Hodge rifles…and the Army has already said the Hodge AU Mod 2 did the best in the SEP.  That’s why it was selected to write future requirements off of. I wish Hodge still used the DD barrels because it was definitely a more accurate barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is just bull shit.

That’s unacceptable accuracy for a $450 barrel imho.

What makes the hodge $100+ more valuable than the equivalent DD?
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's nothing but BS that was started by Bill Geissele leading up to the civilian release of the URG-I and he was never able to provide a legitimate source for that claim.  Once the part numbers for the URG-I components were revealed by members of the military it was found that the DD barrel used in the URG-I was just their standard 14.5" mid-length barrel made from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium steel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I suspected.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is just bull shit.

Nothing…Jim should have stuck with the DD barrel like on the Mod1 guns imo
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As I suspected, you reach a point of diminishing returns with a $450 barrel and accuracy.
View Quote

A top tier $450 barrel can definitely give you a significant improvement in accuracy/precision, particularly if your handguard has been properly anodized.

10-shot group at 100 yards from a Noveske Recon barrel . . .

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A quality $450 barrel can definitely give you a significant improvement in accuracy/precision, particularly if your handguard has been properly anodized.

View Quote

Yes, several other SMEs have also come to this conclusions after exhaustive testing.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I see what you did there ??
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exain how it was optimized.  What did they change that specifically tailors it to m855A1, and what design parameter of m855A1 ammunition is different from conventional ammo, other than the exposed steel tip which has nothing to do with the barrel anyhow?  Marketing gimmick.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Exain how it was optimized.  What did they change that specifically tailors it to m855A1, and what design parameter of m855A1 ammunition is different from conventional ammo, other than the exposed steel tip which has nothing to do with the barrel anyhow?  Marketing gimmick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn’t change anything with the barrel, but it’s sold as a optimized barrel for 855a1 and did perform better in Cranes testing than the carbine m4, probably do to the fact that it’s chf and has a mlgs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#38]
A barrel being optimized for M855A1 on the civilian market is a baffling selling point for me since that stuff doesn't exactly exist in any form of abundance.

Great post Molon, love seeing your content
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A barrel being optimized for M855A1 on the civilian market is a baffling selling point for me since that stuff doesn't exactly exist in any form of abundance.

Great post Molon, love seeing your content
View Quote

In theory it should equate to longer barrel life using lower pressure ammo
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Will you be doing a velocity comparison? Everyone claims the hodge barrels have much higher velocities than similar lengths.
View Quote

They don’t, at least mine didn’t
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Will you be doing a velocity comparison? Everyone claims the hodge barrels have much higher velocities than similar lengths.
View Quote

LOL it never ends.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Molon if you need any M855A1, let me know. It's on me.
View Quote

Alright, that does it.

Where in the F are you all getting M855A1 from?? All I've ever seen was projectiles and I have definitely missed that boat too. Same for M80A1. Fell off a truck somewhere? Secret seller that no one wants to share so they can hoard it all to themselves? What?
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Molon if you need any M855A1, let me know. It's on me.
View Quote

Amazing!
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 12:49:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Proven, repeatable velocities of common off the shelf 855 (from Hodge rifles) . . .

Proven, repeatable velocities of two different lots of common, off the shelf M855, chronographed from five different Colt barrels.

Quoted:
Black Hills  MK262 (from Hodge rifles)

Black Hills MK262 chronographed from three different Colt barrels.

…..

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Jim wishes he could be Karl Lewis. So he releases small small batches and gets the people who measure their dick by buying super duper exclusive parts. These drive prices up. Jim makes people think it's tier 1.  Meanwhile Lewis is getting contracts worldwide.  

I joined the site because I read a write up by Molon. Lewis Master race!
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top