Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked on and off for a year or so to grab a Hodge or Radian with no luck. Although I could've placed some ridiculous backorder in that time, decided I won't support companies that can't make their products available to buy. DD MK18/ KAC SR15.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd much rather have a wedgelock, regardless of it being a ZEV, SOLGW, Triarc or Hodge than any other skinny rail. The AL-Li Hodges are exorbitantly expensive but they're nicely balanced rifles at the shoulder. The interview literally says "...and money not being an issue." The price to performance gain ratio isn't skewed or misconstrued even by the man himself.
View Quote

I concur, I see now why there may have not been a hodge thread yet people just love to dislike things. Its a $2500 Ar-15 at this point there is nothing revolutionary about the AR-15 I would class it in the same group as I would the other 2k+ rifles and in my opinion at that point a lot just comes down to what you like. Sure the Sr-15 is a stand out in certain ways but even then its It wasn't anything that made me say my god this is "the" rifle matter of fact quite the opposite as I now no longer own one. Mine wasn't accurate by any stretch of the word Though when everyone talks about hodge guns They want to know why it doesnt shoot sub half moa and compare it to KAC which in my experience is certainly not an moa gun. Sample size of a couple there as I'm not the only one I know who owned or has owned one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I looked on and off for a year or so to grab a Hodge or Radian with no luck. Although I could've placed some ridiculous backorder in that time, decided I won't support companies that can't make their products available to buy. DD MK18/ KAC SR15.
View Quote

A couple of my buddies have Radians, I preferred the sr15 but I spent a lot of time with mine and only shot about a mag through one of the radians so maybe not fair. As far as hodge I dont think they will ever be more available unfortunately as he is small scale and from what I have read intends to keep it that way. He make some guns for some units and then does civ stuff in limited order.

I love an Ris II but not a fan of there gas porting though I hear they may have some new barrels out? Not sure if thats correct or I made it up
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Every Hodge thread guys come in with “I call bullshit” and “snake oil” comments, like we’re trying to convince them to buy Hodge parts/rifles.  It’s actually the opposite, less competition would be welcome so I could actually pick up more parts.  

Would be nice if we could keep this thread to guys sharing data and pics of their rifles.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The reason they aren’t available all the time.
1: Hodge doesn’t carry any overhead, he foots the bill for all the components. So if he can only afford x amount that’s what he buys. He’s not buying anything on credit.

2: he is very specific on when his components will be made, new tooling, heat treatments, ect...What this means is FN isn’t cranking out Hodge barrels round the clock,  Azmuth Tech isn’t cranking out BCGs round the clock for him.

3: A lot of his components get rejected during QA/QC because they are held to such a high standard.
He had a batch of BCGs with subpar staking. He replaced everyone that had been sold or had them checked and re-staked.

For what it’s worth, my Hodge doesn’t do anything better than my other ARs but it is machined nicer and the fit is excellent.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Every Hodge thread guys come in with “I call bullshit” and “snake oil” comments, like we’re trying to convince them to buy Hodge parts/rifles.  It’s actually the opposite, less competition would be welcome so I could actually pick up more parts.  

Would be nice if we could keep this thread to guys sharing data and pics of their rifles.
View Quote

100% I don't want to get this thread locked would really love to keep it just a tech thread like the others. I work part time for a firearms company (mainly le contracts) I don't speak about that here because this is a personal account nothing to do with that. We sell KAC, LMT, Noveske etc. we dont sell Hodge but I like them and own them and want to talk about them lol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Just the handguard

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
If you watch School of the American Rifleman he did two different' hodge barrels. Both were 12.5. Gas port sizes were dramatically different and the threads on one were not true. Who is doing the QC work on them if he has no overhead? does he doe it himself? of does he spec out barrels different when he orders more (talking about the port size).
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you watch School of the American Rifleman he did two different' hodge barrels. Both were 12.5. Gas port sizes were dramatically different and the threads on one were not true. Who is doing the QC work on them if he has no overhead? does he doe it himself? of does he spec out barrels different when he orders more (talking about the port size).
View Quote

I do remember seeing two types of 12.5 Hodge Barrels being offered for sale, one being labeled as dedicated suppressed and the other being labeled something along the lines of standard/non-suppressed. That would explain the differences in gas ports. Can't comment on the threads.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I do remember seeing two types of 12.5 Hodge Barrels being offered for sale, one being labeled as dedicated suppressed and the other being labeled something along the lines of standard/non-suppressed. That would explain the differences in gas ports. Can't comment on the threads.
View Quote

They were both the exact same product ID straight out of identical packaging.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

He relies on the company on their QC, and yes he has spec’d different port sizes. Only QC Jim probably does is on his compete rifles and uppers. As far as SOTAR goes he finds problems with all manufacturers, FCD, Knights ect.

ETA: let’s keep this a picture thread like OP wanted
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hodge Defense does offer two 12.5 barrels, Weapon Outfitters has both barrels in stock.
Optimized for suppressed use has a .064 gas port. Part# 185-10351
Optimized for general use has .069 gas port. Part# HDG-63202
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm just kinda saddened someone would dump an actual SR15 for a mixed parts gun.
View Quote
This

Right now that rifle would be worth twice as much as the parts gun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hodge Defense does offer two 12.5 barrels, Weapon Outfitters has both barrels in stock.
Optimized for suppressed use has a .064 gas port.
Optimized for general use has .069 gas port.
View Quote

Yes, but didn't the "two different spec" barrels happen because of no QC -- meaning it was a mistake those barrels were drilled with a larger port? Now, it's become a thing, but I believe the first barrels with a larger port hit the market due to a lack of QC.

Same with barrels with journals sized for FSB's.

He has alluded to the fact himself that parts sold at dealers essentially go from manufacturer to dealer; he himself doesn't QC those parts.

As someone mentioned above with respect to BCG's with bad staking; they went from manufacturer to dealer with no 'Hodge' QC.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

They were not, rewatch the video.  Chad thought that they were, but they had different manufacture dates.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They were not, rewatch the video.  Chad thought that they were, but they had different manufacture dates.
View Quote

He pretty much wasn't paying attention, I watch almost all of Chads videos that guys a wealth of knowledge.

The barrels have 2 different manufacture dates but anyone who watched the whole thing knows that I guess he also skipped the part where he said he would be happy to own either. I guess maybe he knows what he's talking about sometimes but not others in whats his faces opinion.

Dude has literally came to this thread 3 times with wrong information. Hes probably just mad he can't afford or find one

Also I wonder if he noticed literally almost every major manufacture has some type of autopsy on there, things built by people arnt always perfect. I've broken several things that were supposed to never break.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#17]
2 Hodge 12.5" Barrel Physicals
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is literally the third time you have came here with wrong information please just stop.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This

Right now that rifle would be worth twice as much as the parts gun.
View Quote

Thats why I sold it, to me it wasn't worth that price vs a pvs14 so I sold it bought nods and kept the hodge now I shoot my hodge at night so that's neat.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I concur, I see now why there may have not been a hodge thread yet people just love to dislike things. Its a $2500 Ar-15 at this point there is nothing revolutionary about the AR-15 I would class it in the same group as I would the other 2k+ rifles and in my opinion at that point a lot just comes down to what you like. Sure the Sr-15 is a stand out in certain ways but even then its It wasn't anything that made me say my god this is "the" rifle matter of fact quite the opposite as I now no longer own one. Mine wasn't accurate by any stretch of the word Though when everyone talks about hodge guns They want to know why it doesnt shoot sub half moa and compare it to KAC which in my experience is certainly not an moa gun. Sample size of a couple there as I'm not the only one I know who owned or has owned one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd much rather have a wedgelock, regardless of it being a ZEV, SOLGW, Triarc or Hodge than any other skinny rail. The AL-Li Hodges are exorbitantly expensive but they're nicely balanced rifles at the shoulder. The interview literally says "...and money not being an issue." The price to performance gain ratio isn't skewed or misconstrued even by the man himself.

The SR15 will shoot sub MOA
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Hodge barrel (14.5) a few years ago for accuracy testing, as well as I was curious on how an ‘optimized m855a1 chamber’ might react with known loads I have like a warm 77gr  in regards to velocity.  The Hodge barrel I have - a sample size of one - is on the upper end of barrels I’ve tested.  The Hodge and and Centurions are the best non-stainless ones so far.  Velocity difference was only slightly down from a multitude of Colt M4A1 I have.  Centurions on the other hand have always been at the upper end for speed when comparing 5.56 chambers in 14.5.  This is just on paper.  Won’t make any appreciable difference in reality.  I am pleased with the barrel, even though it sits on a shelf.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#22]
one point to consider is that most people won't shoot out a chrome lined 556 barrel, although this site has a large amount of people who are not "most" people. But what everyone will benefit immediately from is a reduced gas port barrel if they shoot suppressed. Obviously there are other ways of achieving that, like the BRT inserts, but it is something that even the guy who shoots two mags a year can benefit from.

That said, hodge barrels aren't really designed or marketed for that person.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bought a Hodge barrel (14.5) a few years ago for accuracy testing, as well as I was curious on how an ‘optimized m855a1 chamber’ might react with known loads I have like a warm 77gr  in regards to velocity.  The Hodge barrel I have - a sample size of one - is on the upper end of barrels I’ve tested.  The Hodge and and Centurions are the best non-stainless ones so far.  Velocity difference was only slightly down from a multitude of Colt M4A1 I have.  Centurions on the other hand have always been at the upper end for speed when comparing 5.56 chambers in 14.5.  This is just on paper.  Won’t make any appreciable difference in reality.  I am pleased with the barrel, even though it sits on a shelf.
View Quote

What does "appreciable difference in reality" mean?

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#24]
There’s a new article from AR-Build Junkie with Jim Hodge.

Y’all should give it a read. He’s talking a lot about this type of thread:

Q: I’ve found Hodge Defense Systems enthusiasts to be very helpful and friendly overall, but on some forums, the amount of venom and sarcasm can be a bit overwhelming, especially for someone who is just starting out.

Hodge: At what point and time can we just allow someone to buy something that they can actually afford and then learn from it on their own journey? Wouldn’t it be cool if we could then help that person on their journey with meaningful data and meaningful support, rather than saying, “Yo, dude, your gun sucks compared to mine.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Hodge, so hot right now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Good article. Problem is, supply and demand. And as long as Jim is unwilling to grow his company to meet demand, his products will command a premium because of said demand. If he is unable or unwilling to mitigate long lulls in product release, the scarcity will cause prices to go up.

I understand what he's saying, that he doesn't want his brand to be for everyone, but when someone approaches the market as uniquely as he does, how can you not appreciate and not want his products?

I see a handful of solutions. If Jim doesn't want his product to become a status symbol, release more product. Have regular releases with enough to go around. Or raise the price astronomically and price out most people. Or stop completely. Lack of access will create the resentment and negativity. He created a brand, scarcity has driven desirability, and there's increasing demand. I don't see what's surprising here. He may not like it, but this is simple economics and marketing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There’s a new article from AR-Build Junkie with Jim Hodge.

Y’all should give it a read. He’s talking a lot about this type of thread:

View Quote

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.  A lot of what he's saying is true, especially about the whole "poors" nonsense going on now.

Looking forward to more Hodge drops, every single one I've been late by seconds.  My 12.5" build is nearly complete, just waiting on a titanium barrel nut that I was able to source.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What does "appreciable difference in reality" mean?

View Quote

15-20fps.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a 14.5” hodge barrel, built into kind of a knockoff hodge upper.  Zev upper receiver and rail.  I’ve shot it side by side with other 14.5” barrels I own, and it is not the most accurate I own, especially with cheap 55 grain.  Not that it’s inaccurate by any means, but for me personally I bought the barrel knowing a CHF chrome lined barrel’s limitations; I bought it for barrel life/longevity shooting suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Proven, repeatable velocities of common off the shelf 855 and 193 through the 12.5”, 14.5”, and 16” HDSI rifles. Since everyone owns faster, more consistent, better barrels that were half the price this data really isn’t relevant but it keeps the thread tech related ???????Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:07:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Black Hills Attachment Attached File
MK 262
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:07:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Proven, repeatable velocities of common off the shelf 855 and 193 through the 12.5”, 14.5”, and 16” HDSI rifles. Since everyone owns faster, more consistent, better barrels that were half the price this data really isn’t relevant but it keeps the thread tech related ???????https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/483208/835562D5-E6DE-4BF6-9E4D-A3514D8A53DF_jpe-1812738.JPG
View Quote

Best pic posted in this thread so far.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#33]
14.5” keeping 50 cent a round Frontier five round groups under 1 MOA, other than the occasional rogue round that could be because it’s 50 cents a round or I screwed upAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#34]
After seeing those pics in the snow and rain, I'm getting one!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Proven, repeatable velocities of common off the shelf 855 and 193 through the 12.5”, 14.5”, and 16” HDSI rifles. Since everyone owns faster, more consistent, better barrels that were half the price this data really isn’t relevant but it keeps the thread tech related ???????https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/483208/835562D5-E6DE-4BF6-9E4D-A3514D8A53DF_jpe-1812738.JPG
View Quote

Well done
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Started load development today. Using h335 I worked up from 22 grains to 24.5.

24.5 got me an average of 2725 an es of 16

Only shot 3 round groups with the way things are lately im always trying to do more with less.

The ejection was still a little forward but the faster I got the better my es started to become ill play around in smaller increments in this area and see if I can grab a good node and get up to say 2750

Hard to tell how the groups looked as I was using the magnifier and that was a first for me only ever used magnified optics for load development best was prolly 2 moa (all me)  ill have to stick a scope on it and try again gotta decide if I really want to know what it can do from all the shit talking but again she's not a precision gun and does what I want so we will see if I get around to that.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Started load development today. Using h335 I worked up from 22 grains to 24.5.

24.5 got me an average of 2725 an es of 16

Only shot 3 round groups with the way things are lately im always trying to do more with less.

The ejection was still a little forward but the faster I got the better my es started to become ill play around in smaller increments in this area and see if I can grab a good node and get up to say 2750

Hard to tell how the groups looked as I was using the magnifier and that was a first for me only ever used magnified optics for load development best was prolly 2 moa (all me)  ill have to stick a scope on it and try again gotta decide if I really want to know what it can do from all the shit talking but again she's not a precision gun and does what I want so we will see if I get around to that.

With a decent optic CL CHF 5.56 chambered barrels do ok, 12 Y/O running five round groups at 300 yards at 3/4 MOA with off the shelf ammo with my 16” Mod 1Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thats why I sold it, to me it wasn't worth that price vs a pvs14 so I sold it bought nods and kept the hodge now I shoot my hodge at night so that's neat.
View Quote
Good choice
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#39]
12.5” with LPVO out to 300, but it was designed and intended for running and gunning not DMR dutyAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#40]
If you want a small frame DMR you go 6 ARC ??Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice shooting! ??
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
12.5” with LPVO out to 300, but it was designed and intended for running and gunning not DMR dutyhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/483208/97516A9D-9138-453D-92BB-91C24587C044_jpe-1814140.JPG
View Quote

Thats hot ??
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#43]

That a 3-8 or 5-25 mk5? I've got a 3-18 that should be back next week from leupold for the 2nd time. Really hope they got it figured out.

I have buddies with 5-25s that are great but I've been seeing some fishy stuff about the 3-18 recently.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That a 3-8 or 5-25 mk5? I've got a 3-18 that should be back next week from leupold for the 2nd time. Really hope they got it figured out.

I have buddies with 5-25s that are great but I've been seeing some fishy stuff about the 3-18 recently.
View Quote

It’s the 3.6-18, it’s not my personal optic, just using to gather data on the ammo, no telling how many rifles and rounds it has been used with and it’s crystal clear and tracks perfect, but again it’s at least a few years old so not a newer run they may have had issues with. Loo-Pold will definitely make good if they can’t fix yours, just give them a chance.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The 5-25 Mk5 has issues as well.  A friend has one that has a 10% dialing error and another feels the clarity isn't worth the price paid.  A couple of hunters I spoke with at the range last year were very happy with theirs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

My complete 14.5 Hodge Mod1 Upper

Attachment Attached File

Complete Hodge 12.5 Mod1 rifle. This has the .69 spec gas port. Both guns run the Vltor A5 system.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:21:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

My complete 14.5 Hodge Mod1 Upper

Attachment Attached File

Complete Hodge 12.5 Mod1 rifle. This has the .69 spec gas port. Both guns run the Vltor A5 system.

Attachment Attached File

Cerakote done by Roman Arms.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good choice
View Quote

Only problem is now I have a new addiction
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#49]
There's an S-Lock 11.5" going for north of $700 with six days to go on GB.

Jim, please just make more.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:43:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There's an S-Lock 11.5" going for north of $700 with six days to go on GB.

Jim, please just make more.
View Quote

I watch GB also and saw that pop up today...reminded me of missing the Big Tex drop on a 11.5" rail by mere seconds.  Had one in my cart to check out (13 in stock when I added it) and I got an error saying it was sold out when trying to pay for it.

Pic of completed upper with the Hodge/FCD LSFA
Attachment Attached File
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top