BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Cost-to-performance, I don't think you can beat the LaRue MBT.  And you won't complain about having it.

However, just by feel, I can tell a MBT from a Geissele SSA.  That thing is smooth.  And twice as much money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Personal preference and sample size of one, but I prefer the feel of my MBT to my SSA. The break is much crisper.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Under $100? MBT-2S.  Nothing near it’s price comes remotely close.  They were a good trigger for the price when they used to cost over 2 bills.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]
This echoes what most have said, if you want a 2 stage, I really like my Larue MBT. If you want a single stage the ALG ACT or BCM PNT are pretty darn comparable. I can't really tell a difference between the two. Never had any problems with any of the 3.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#5]
The ALG ACT is a fancied up mil spec trigger and works well. The MBT has a much better feel to me.  No complaints about either but greatly prefer the MBT.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This echoes what most have said, if you want a 2 stage, I really like my Larue MBT. If you want a single stage the ALG ACT or BCM PNT are pretty darn comparable. I can't really tell a difference between the two. Never had any problems with any of the 3.
View Quote

I ended up going with a single stage but I think for my scoped AR I'm going to put one in, and move that trigger to my pistol.  I think for precision shooting that LaRue will be sweet from what I'm reading.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem with the ACT is the same as the Larue 1S...they haven't been in stock since November.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The problem with the ACT is the same as the Larue 1S...they haven't been in stock since November.
View Quote

I blame the secondary market. Other forums people buy 30 of em and sell if for a slim profit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I ended up going with a single stage but I think for my scoped AR I'm going to put one in, and move that trigger to my pistol.  I think for precision shooting that LaRue will be sweet from what I'm reading.
View Quote

I don't think you'll be disappointed! I'm a sucker for a good deal, so that may sway my opinion, but I like my MBT-2S more than my SSA-E...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Larue MBT
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Larue MBT went up by 7 bucks over night.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Larue MBT went up by 7 bucks over night.
View Quote

Wow, no kidding. Was it really $80 just yesterday?

It looks like they also removed the buy 5 for $70/per trigger deal as well.

Mine just arrived a few days ago. $7 extra is still so worth it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]
ALG Act I have had several all but 1 were great and the one I didn't like was still pretty good.

Alg QMS are great

BCM pnt or whatever the one they have is good to go

The PSA enhanced milspec trigger is probably the best budget trigger if you need several

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow, no kidding. Was it really $80 just yesterday?

It looks like they also removed the buy 5 for $70/per trigger deal as well.

Mine just arrived a few days ago. $7 extra is still so worth it.
View Quote

Yeah, had one in my cart but then decided I wanted a single stage.  Went to look again as I'll need another one for a different build.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#15]
MBT of course.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have been building for 11 years. Recently I cant find my fave CMC 3.5lb straight bow trigger for $99 anymore.
I MUST have a straight trigger. I was amazed at the results of mating a Bullmoose Tactical trigger with an ALG Combat hammer. Lighter Nic Taylor springs too.  Never had a light strike.
NO TAKE UP! About 1mm of creep. Short, loud reset. BETTER than the ALG Combat curved trigger! Much better IMO.
Total cost was about $50 plus the hammer.
Prolly get good results with a polished Mil Spec hammer.

http://bullmoosetactical.com/BMT-AR-Skeletonized-Trigger_p_66.html
https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/ar-skeletonized-trigger-p/ar-bm-trigger.htm
http://nictaylor00.blogspot.com/2019/05/ar15-ar10-flat-match-quality-trigger.html
View Quote

have to have flat triggers due to joint destruction in my trigger finger. I have 2 Bullmoose triggers installed in milspec groups and they're great.  $30, so why not?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm very happy with the ALG ACT!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for Hiperfire here. Their EDT series has a couple nice features over other triggers which were mentioned by others. They come with 2 hammer springs, one for a 5.5 lb trigger pull and the other for a 4.5 lb pull. They garantee that these will not drop below 5.5 and 4.5 lbs respectively as the trigger wears. The tail end of the trigger also has a curve to it with a slot which they claim is less likely to be jammed by debris/ blown primer. Have this trigger in more than one gun and love it. Oh, almost forgot to mention that due to this curve you can remove and reinstall the trigger without removing the safety lever if need be :)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Im probably up to tier 3.75 now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:26:39 AM EDT
[#20]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:37:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm sure a lot of people would recommend a LaRue MBT but I will differ and recommend a LaRue MBT.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#23]
LaRue
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ALG ACT, 5.5lbs.

Great triggers IME.
View Quote

I have several of these and like them.

I have a couple of the PSA enhanced ones and no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#25]
While all of these suggestions have merit in their own way, allow me to offer a different option that often gets overlooked but is every bit as functional:

Larue MBT

I'm hoping they catch on soon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#26]
The Hipperfire EDT DM might be nice on a mini-recce.  Might have to give that a try.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#27]
If I could have gotten a Larue single stage I probably would have, but couldn't find one.  Like the feel of this on dryfiring.  Range time this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If I could have gotten a Larue single stage I probably would have, but couldn't find one.  Like the feel of this on dryfiring.  Range time this weekend.
View Quote

2 stage works the same as a single stage if you're not paying attention
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@akethan
Excellent info...Thank you for sharing.   I would love to see more trigger pull graphs like these. ( Especially on the Schmid Tools 2 stage triggers, including the Centurion 2 stage version compared to a "normal" Schmid two stage  )

What kind of equipment does it take to do graphs and measurements like those ? ( I realize probably some serious money involved.. but )

I have a few of the Centurion Schmid's on the way... if you want one to try out and measure !
View Quote

These were apparently posted by Larue, I'd love to see a comparison with some other triggers as well. Couple interesting points.

1. Standard deviation is way better on the Larue
2. Total peak pull weight is very similar
3. Despite similar peak pull weights, the step on the SSA-E between the take-up and the break is a bit smaller. This seems to be consistent with what people generally observe by feel.

Overall these graphs highlight that the practical differences are pretty negligible, and most people are highly susceptible to the placebo effect.

There are however a couple things not captured by these plots.

1. Reset
2. 'feel' of the pull in terms of pressure on the finger. The flatter profile of the Larue distributes will distribute the force differently than the more traditional shaped G trigger. Even if the actual pull weight profiles were identical the difference in shape would probably result in a slightly different feel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad all that grit is gone from the trigger pull.  Can't wait to run some of this shit .223 steel case though it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have both and the 2s feels better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have both and the 2s feels better in my opinion.
View Quote

I'm probably going to throw a Larue in my scoped build.  But its already got a decent trigger and I'm spending too much money.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to use the MBT-2S. Before I sold my AR.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I really like the Centurion AST. Never shot MBT so can’t compare.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ummm... MBT-2S

(I have 5)
View Quote

Same with the heavier spring.

I have 5 or 6 as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Got 3 MBTs and they are great for under $100.  Got my first Geissele for Christmas. Gosh damn that thing is nice.  Worth $50-$100 more? I would have said no in December.   Now I think it could very well be.  Crazy nice. Good luck op
View Quote

I have multiple MBT's and a SSA-E.  I prefer the trigger shape of the MBT's as well as the reset.  The Geissele isn't bad I just don't like it as much and at twice the cost don't think it's worth it...to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I love the ACT. For a combat trigger, this is where it’s at
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ALG ACT, 5.5lbs.

Great triggers IME.

I love the ACT. For a combat trigger, this is where it’s at

All of the above is a "True story" .

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How long is the MBT backorder??
View Quote

When I checked a few days back, it was 6 to 8 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Just grabbed another Hiperfire DM for my scoped build.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:07:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
ALG ACT, 5.5lbs.

Great triggers IME.
View Quote

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I’ve got Geissele, LaRue, CMC, Centurion Arms and BCM

For the price and performance you are after I’d recommend any of those except G.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
BCM, ALG, SOLGW, etc are all just using the Schmidt Tool trigger. They may be applying the coating in house, not sure on that but the markings on the trigger are obvious. Schmidt is obviously great quality, but I'd say that these polished/coated mil spec triggers are not nearly as transformative as a nice 2 stage. They are definitely a step up from a standard mil spec trigger, but if you are shooting groups I definitely find that benefit from a two stage. Brownells sells the Schmidt Tool triggers with nickel teflon coating for $40, and RTB has them as well. They are a good option but I wouldn't pay over $50 for one.

I have an MBT and it is excellent, highly recommend it. Only shot it with the light spring so far but may try out the heavier one for a more positive reset.

Schmidt tool also makes a two stage that other companies rebrand including aero, KAK, centurion, etc. Apparently there are some slight differences between the rebrands, but it's no obvious what. I'd be interested in trying them out.
View Quote

The OP asked about a "combat" trigger. With those criteria, I don't think a 2 stage is going to yield any benefit. Also, tight groups isn't really a factor either IMO.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The OP asked about a "combat" trigger. With those criteria, I don't think a 2 stage is going to yield any benefit. Also, tight groups isn't really a factor either IMO.
View Quote

Sorry what?

Accuracy is irrelevant for a combat trigger? News to me...

Have you shot a 2 stage? Accuracy is not the only benefit, they can also be fired much more rapidly.

OP ultimately needs to determine what he wants but there are certainly 2 stage triggers on the market that fullfil all the requirements of being a 'combat trigger'.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sorry what?

Accuracy is irrelevant for a combat trigger? News to me...

Have you shot a 2 stage? Accuracy is not the only benefit, they can also be fired much more rapidly.

OP ultimately needs to determine what he wants but there are certainly 2 stage triggers on the market that fullfil all the requirements of being a 'combat trigger'.
View Quote

Yep, I have multiple 2 stage triggers, including an MBT-2 on my precision rig. When someone says "combat" rifle/trigger/etc that, to me, means situations where the bullets are flying in both directions. As the saying goes minute of man is the accuracy you're looking for, not the difference between sub  1 MOA vs 2-4 MOA.

In combat, the sensitivity of the 2 stage and things like a free floating rail are not really relevant. You are not likely to have time to leverage that kind of accuracy if bullets are flying at you.  Reliability, short reset and reasonable pull weight are more key.

I'm curious how a 2 stage can be fired more rapidly...I'm no trigger expert, so please improve my knowledge here. I would think the extra travel would slow things down, not speed them up.  Enlighten me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Do you have a range report, Bigerr?  How do you like the trigger pull/s?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In before 900 LaRue MBT recommendations.

Mine recommendation? LaRue MBT.
View Quote

I can second or 901st it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yep, I have multiple 2 stage triggers, including an MBT-2 on my precision rig. When someone says "combat" rifle/trigger/etc that, to me, means situations where the bullets are flying in both directions. As the saying goes minute of man is the accuracy you're looking for, not the difference between sub  1 MOA vs 2-4 MOA.

In combat, the sensitivity of the 2 stage and things like a free floating rail are not really relevant. You are not likely to have time to leverage that kind of accuracy if bullets are flying at you.  Reliability, short reset and reasonable pull weight are more key.

I'm curious how a 2 stage can be fired more rapidly...I'm no trigger expert, so please improve my knowledge here. I would think the extra travel would slow things down, not speed them up.  Enlighten me.
View Quote

Trigger reset is the key here. Extended engagement distance & targets behind cover, partially exposed will test your minute of man theory.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How long is the MBT backorder??
View Quote

Who knows, last I saw they just showed as "out".

I think at this point supply is enough of a concern that you may just have to run what you brung for the indefinite future.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top