Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jack007:
Here's one industrious FRT owner.
Nice enough to post a vid of his fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyAZPzl6kOs
View Quote

What he did is exactly what I had in mind.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
These Triggers have been backordered for over a month now,like 6 weeks.
Only place is Gunbroker but at 2x  retail

Is there any word on
whether ATF is looking at them?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Some guy on tiktok 3D printed one and put the file online for free download.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Amusing vid...but I didn't see any files?
Is he just trolling?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Amusing vid...but I didn't see any files?
Is he just trolling?
View Quote
The cartridge part of the trigger isn't the secret sauce anyway. He's not going to print the hammer out of plastic.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NunyaBidness:
The cartridge part of the trigger isn't the secret sauce anyway. He's not going to print the hammer out of plastic.
View Quote

I mean you could if you could make it not brittle, the FCG for the Extar EP9, the FS2000, Aug and PS90 are all plastic.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I was somewhat surprised to see RB reply to an inquiry as to where they source their spring. Yes, they disclaim it by clearly stating that any warranties are voided by removing the current spring, BUT, that in itself is somewhat disingenuous. They clearly state that there are ZERO warranties, exchanges or refunds up front! LOL
Still, I give them props for providing the info. When is the last time a manufacturer disclosed the exact source of their materials so you could replace it yourself? Def not common practice.

https://www.springsfast.com/products/compression-springs/part-detail-compression-spring/?part=C04-018-020
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I got one from gunbroker for $600. No waiting in line.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I got one from gunbroker for $600. No waiting in line
View Quote

YOU got very LUCKY!
Typical final price there has been around $800. many have sold for much more. I know as I've been watching them for weeks.
Funny thing is that many who went the GB route did it thinking that they will somehow be anonymous if ATF lowers the boom. Like the dude who gets a visit won't give up his customer in a heartbeat?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ArkieSharpie:
These Triggers have been backordered for over a month now,like 6 weeks.
Only place is Gunbroker but at 2x  retail

Is there any word on
whether ATF is looking at them?
View Quote
I'd like to know if they're still shipping product or if they've been hit with a cease and desist. Has anyone with a BDU order later than about Jan 7 actually received it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NunyaBidness:
I'd like to know if they're still shipping product or if they've been hit with a cease and desist. Has anyone with a BDU order later than about Jan 7 actually received it?
View Quote

I would get one and just enjoy it till it's banned.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By realwar:

I would get one and just enjoy it till it's banned.
View Quote

Please stay in ca
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I have seen multiple videos on YouTube stating they are no longer shipping out new triggers because of a redesign being needed. Apparently lots of people having issues with that sear spring bending while getting pinched.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By my69camaro1:
I have seen multiple videos on YouTube stating they are no longer shipping out new triggers because of a redesign being needed. Apparently lots of people having issues with that sear spring bending while getting pinched.
View Quote

Hopefully the redesign includes a standard semi-auto setting, as well as a separate selectable forced reset setting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully the redesign includes a standard semi-auto setting, as well as a separate selectable forced reset setting.
View Quote

Never gonna happen. They stayed away from three positions apparently for legal/marketing concerns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
FRT-15 Vs An Actual Machine Gun
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Never gonna happen. They stayed away from three positions apparently for legal/marketing concerns.
View Quote

Well I guess I'll pass then.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Tacon 3MR still holds the patent on a 3 pos forced reset trigger!
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Tacon 3MR still holds the patent on a 3 pos forced reset trigger!
View Quote

I don't think this trigger with a third position is anything like the 3MR.
But then again I'm not a patent attorney.
BTW...I was an early adopter of the TAC CON. First shot it at SHOT Show Range Day. While they got some impressive results, to this day I still can't. Sits in one of my old Colt rifles cuz I've been too lazy to replace the original FCG. Most disappointing considering the high hopes I had initially.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:24:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
I’d really like to see a R.O.F. (Rate of Fire) comparison between...

Franklin Armory
Fostech
Rare Breed
DigiTrigger

Using a PACT Timer.

It also appears that Rare Breed has a MINOR design flaw that the manufacturer should easily correct. (Spring angle)

Comparing it to jaqufrost’s bumpsaw would be a total fail for binary triggers, no trigger is going to achieve a R.O.F of 1,400 rpm!
View Quote

I’m sure you could get 1,400 rpm with the FRT if you messed around with different uppers, buffers, spring combos.  I am consistently getting between 900-1000 rpm with mine with H1 or H2 buffer.  I prefer less than 1000 rpm personally as I struggle to stay on target much faster than that.  The other triggers on your list don’t compare in any way to the FRT from my experience as I have owned all of them except for the digitrigger (can’t speak for it).
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sanausnol:

I'm sure you could get 1,400 rpm with the FRT if you messed around with different uppers, buffers, spring combos.  I am consistently getting between 900-1000 rpm with mine with H1 or H2 buffer.  I prefer less than 1000 rpm personally as I struggle to stay on target much faster than that.  The other triggers on your list don't compare in any way to the FRT from my experience as I have owned all of them except for the digitrigger (can't speak for it).
View Quote

I tried an aluminum bolt carrier with the FRT and it didn't like it, so I don't think 1400rpm is happening easily.

You would need to pump the gas way up and get the lightest steel m16 cut carrier you could find.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:43:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I tried an aluminum bolt carrier with the FRT and it didn't like it, so I don't think 1400rpm is happening easily.
View Quote

Never heard of an aluminum carrier! Not sure what the objective would be? But then again I'm a purist so there's that.
I'd be curious why the AL carrier wouldn't work? Weight?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:05:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jaqufrost] [#24]

Never heard of an aluminum carrier! Not sure what the objective would be? But then again I'm a purist so there's that.
I'd be curious why the AL carrier wouldn't work? Weight?
View Quote
Aluminum carriers are great for increasing cycle rate in machineguns or minimizing recoil in game guns.

With the FRT the hammer would bind up on the carrier and lock back until you released the trigger. The same thing happens with regular carriers if you pull hard, but with the aluminum carrier you didn't have to pull the trigger very much to lock it up.  It's possible some grease on the hammer face would have solved it, but I swapped back to a traditional bcg and went on with my range day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#25]
jaqufrost, thank you for the lesson! After messing with the AR/M16 platform since around 1985, I can always learn something new!
Such knowledgeable people here on ARF!
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:38:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0002s] [#26]
I’d really like to see a R.O.F. (Rate of Fire) comparison between...

Franklin Armory
Fostech
Rare Breed
DigiTrigger

Using a PACT Timer.

It also appears that Rare Breed has a MINOR design flaw that the manufacturer should easily correct. (Spring angle)

Comparing it to jaqufrost’s bumpsaw would be a total fail for binary triggers, no trigger is going to achieve a R.O.F of 1,400 rpm!
View Quote

I’ve ran a few videos and timed the FA Binary at 400-420.

The issue is it changes slightly from weapon to weapon. Also accuracy is better in consistent 6 shot taps rather than full dumps.

/jm2c
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Fowty:
Some guy on tiktok 3D printed one and put the file online for free download.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32OJzVagVTI
View Quote
Wherever he put it its gone now and rare breed doesn't appear to be in production.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Where did you get that idea?

The website simply shows out of stock!

LINK
View Quote
I haven't seen it say anything else.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

They send out an email to those in the queue. The longest time they've stayed in stock is about 15 minutes, or so I've heard. When I got my email it was late in the evening and I just happened to be on my computer working. It was literally under a minute before I was ordering. The whole process couldn't have taken more than five minutes tops. Afterwards I went back to the home page and it said sold out.
If you want one, either submit an email address you monitor 24/7, or pay the premium and buy one on Gunbroker.
But please don't spread disinformation. There's enough of that already.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack007] [#31]
I posted a clip of the finished product after I fixed mine. I used the fix that one guy did, and then improved it with a guide rod. I gave the guy FULL credit and even linked to his video but I guess he didn't like that and deleted my comment and link without commenting.
I put the details in the description.
This fix is simple and short of redesign with a torsion spring, should prelude any spring failure.

https://youtu.be/qWL6dZt_96E
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#32]
I posted a clip of the finished product after I fixed mine. I used the fix that one guy did, and then improved it with a guide rod. I gave the guy FULL credit and even linked to his video but I guess he didn't like that and deleted my comment and link without commenting.
I put the details in the description.
This fix is simple and short of redesign with a torsion spring, should prelude any spring failure.

https://youtu.be/qWL6dZt_96E
View Quote

I actually took mine apart to see if I had the issue. It appears I also did, as my spring was jacked up. I only put a few mags downrange.

So instead of buying that screw like you, and using different aftermarket parts, I tried something different.  First I beveled the safety sear like your and the other dude's video. I then attempted to try different AR15 parts that are already available. I ended up finding a bolt catch spring and an extractor pin, which fit PERFECTLY. The extractor pin acts as a guide rod and sits inside the safety sear/rear hole, while the bolt catch spring sits against the rear hole (not inside) and the front part of the spring seats inside the safety sear hole. There's not any slop as the sizes are pretty perfect.  I'm assuming it will still work if the hole is not beveled and is probably light-years better than the current flawed design.  Disconnecter spring also works, but bolt catch spring worked better.

Thank you for your idea. I'm excited to take my to the range to see if this fixed it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

I actually took mine apart to see if I had the issue. It appears I also did, as my spring was jacked up. I only put a few mags downrange.

So instead of buying that screw like you, and using different aftermarket parts, I tried something different.  First I beveled the safety sear like your and the other dude's video. I then attempted to try different AR15 parts that's are readily available. I ended up finding a bolt catch spring and an extractor pin, which fit PERFECTLY. The extractor pin acts as a guide rod and sits inside the safety sear/rear hole, while the bolt catch spring sits against the rear hole (not inside) and the front part of the spring seats inside the safety sear hole. There's not any slop as the sizes are pretty perfect.  I'm assuming it will still work if the hole is not beveled and is probably light-years better than the current flawed design.  Disconnecter spring also works, but bolt catch spring worked better.

Thank you for your idea. I'm excited to take my to the range to see if this fixed it.
View Quote

You always post good info man.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#34]

They send out an email to those in the queue. The longest time they've stayed in stock is about 15 minutes, or so I've heard. When I got my email it was late in the evening and I just happened to be on my computer working. It was literally under a minute before I was ordering. The whole process couldn't have taken more than five minutes tops. Afterwards I went back to the home page and it said sold out.
If you want one, either submit an email address you monitor 24/7, or pay the premium and buy one on Gunbroker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

When was the last time they sent out an email? I have been signed up for 3-4 weeks without a single email (not I got an email and missed out, no emails period). On the other hand they must be trickling out somehow given the number appearing on the ee.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SageEBR:

When was the last time they sent out an email? I have been signed up for 3-4 weeks without a single email (not I got an email and missed out, no emails period). On the other hand they must be trickling out somehow given the number appearing on the ee.
View Quote

They and big daddy aren't sending email updates.

There was a drop on Big Daddy a couple days ago where they dropped 500. I was able to score 3. Lasted about an hour or 2.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Welp, couldn't resist

Will have to see if the function warrants a dedicated upper.  I've always had my eye on green mountain's finned barrel for a jackassy project like this... Is that a valid thought?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah never got an email or text from BDU that they were in stock for that drop.

Also just went back and checked and the trigger isn't listed on BDU's parts manufacturers list anymore and the trigger page is gone from their shop as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#38]
Originally Posted By reschke:
Yeah never got an email or text from BDU that they were in stock for that drop.

Also just went back and checked and the trigger isn't listed on BDU's parts manufacturers list anymore and the trigger page is gone from their shop as well.
View Quote

BDU keeps removing it when they go OOS. They announced the drop on Instagram. Next time it happens I'll post here so y'all know, for those that don't use social.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#39]

BDU keeps removing it when they go OOS. They announced the drop on Instagram. Next time it happens I'll post here so y'all know, for those that don't use social.
View Quote

Thanks! Not sure why but it is now showing up on their page with a order quantity limit of 10. Also I hate it when a company says they will email when items are back in stock and then they don't send out the emails. If I can snag 10 of them I'm going to just to have them in case I feel like I need to have parts for sale.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Triggers are up at BDU.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Ran another 250+ rounds and not even a stutter.
Here's a quick vid dumping a 60rd mag.

https://youtu.be/K1cdg1GgbCA
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By sdrake100:
Triggers are up at BDU.
View Quote

Dangit, must have just missed out, I checked there this afternoon likely before they were listed and see nothing now. Well, hopefully someone got in on this round.

Thanks, and keep em coming if you see them in stock anywhere again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Ran another 250+ rounds and not even a stutter.
Here's a quick vid dumping a 60rd mag.

https://youtu.be/K1cdg1GgbCA
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: reschke] [#44]
They were up at RBT's site also just a few minutes ago and they were out by the time I had entered my CC info.

I was trying to double dip and get em from BDU and RBT but got nada out of it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:10:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#45]
So I wanted to give an update on the mods. A few things to note are that this actually allows much more flexibility to the safety latch because it's not crushing the spring improperly like stock. I noticed that the stock spring would jack up if the safety latch compresses too much, which would occur more when there is heavier buffer spring/buffer because the carrier goes back into battery and slams the safety latch with more force, thus causing more pressure to the spring/latch. This is probably why some of those using stock buffers and springs aren't getting a crushed and deformed spring, but others are. The fix included has more spring tension, as well.  My fix and Jack's fix essentially fix that problem exclusively.  While I haven't tested my changes just yet but he has, I'm 100% confident my changes will work flawlessly. I used the parts I did because most of us have a plethora of these lying around and in case of failures, they can be easily replaced and are not proprietary.

Parts used:
- Extractor Pin: guide rod and pseudo "stop"
- Extractor O Ring: dampens the max force exerted on the pin/spring when the bolt goes back into battery
- Bolt Catch Spring: to replace the flawed spring and allow used of the other parts in this modification to work with one another.

Tools used:
- Dremel
- Flitz

The modification should leave enough space for the spring to seat and should NOT go all the way down to when the hole and the modification are flat together. The reason being is because the hole is tapered so the spring won't sit at the bottom of the hole. You don't need to go wild, but it should like like this in terms of depth:

What it should look like on the outside. You don't need to be an expert machinest, as show:

Parts used:

This is how the parts should fit into the safety latch:

Where you're installing the spring/pin and safety latch, make sure the front of the spring seats 100% into the tapered safety latch hole, otherwise it will not compress correctly:

Where the safety latch compresses the spring/pin  in stock configuration and no carrier pressure is on the latch (what it would look like when the carrier cycles to the rear)

Approximately where the safety latch compresses the spring/pin when installed and there is static carrier pressure (I observed through the safety hole):

When the safety latch is fully compressing the spring/pin:
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Anybody know off the top of their head of this will work correctly in an ar9 with a jp bolt and SCS?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#47]
So I wanted to give an update on the mods. A few things to note are that this actually allows much more flexibility to the safety latch because it's not crushing the spring improperly like stock. I noticed that the stock spring would jack up if the safety latch compresses too much, which would occur more when there is heavier buffer spring/buffer because the carrier goes back into battery and slams the safety latch with more force, thus causing more pressure to the spring/latch. This is probably why some of those using stock buffers and springs aren't getting a crushed and deformed spring, but others are. The fix included has more spring tension, as well.  My fix and Jack's fix essentially fix that problem exclusively.  While I haven't tested my changes just yet but he has, I'm 100% confident my changes will work flawlessly. I used the parts I did because most of us have a plethora of these lying around and in case of failures, they can be easily replaced and are not proprietary.

Parts used:
- Extractor Pin: guide rod and pseudo "stop"
- Extractor O Ring: dampens the max force exerted on the pin/spring when the bolt goes back into battery
- Bolt Catch Spring: to replace the flawed spring and allow used of the other parts in this modification to work with one another.

Tools used:
- Dremel
- Flitz

The modification should leave enough space for the spring to seat and should NOT go all the way down to when the hole and the modification are flat together. The reason being is because the hole is tapered so the spring won't sit at the bottom of the hole. You don't need to go wild, but it should like like this in terms of depth:
https://i.ibb.co/59ym67B/IMG-20210224-212042.jpg

What it should look like on the outside. You don't need to be an expert machinest, as show:
https://i.ibb.co/bb60bCk/IMG-20210224-212102.jpg

Parts used:
https://i.ibb.co/r7XbGRQ/IMG-20210224-212156.jpg

This is how the parts should fit into the safety latch:
https://i.ibb.co/ZKTvyvd/IMG-20210224-212315.jpg

Where you're installing the spring/pin and safety latch, make sure the front of the spring seats 100% into the tapered safety latch hole, otherwise it will not compress correctly:
https://i.ibb.co/k3KSyX6/IMG-20210224-212709.jpg

Where the safety latch compresses the spring/pin  in stock configuration and no carrier pressure is on the latch (what it would look like when the carrier cycles to the rear)
https://i.ibb.co/DwLwShX/IMG-20210224-214010.jpg

Approximately where the safety latch compresses the spring/pin when installed and there is static carrier pressure (I observed through the safety hole):
https://i.ibb.co/Zz9Q20Y/IMG-20210224-214040.jpg

When the safety latch is fully compressing the spring/pin:
https://i.ibb.co/CwdSrQQ/IMG-20210224-214028.jpg
View Quote

Nice write-up, thanks for taking the time to do it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:17:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IceChimp] [#48]
Bdu in stock

Eta: just sold out
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SageEBR:

Nice write-up, thanks for taking the time to do it.
View Quote

Absolutely. I forgot to note that the stock spring feels super rough when interacting with the safety latch. With my mod, it feels very smooth.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#50]
The O ring is a nice touch!
Kinda like a buffer in a trigger.
Hopefully the boys in F Troop won't shit on our parade after all our efforts?
Meanwhile, we can enjoy a taste of FREEDOM!
Page / 56
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top