Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 56
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I got out and played with mine this weekend. My aluminum carrier consistently had issues binding against the hammer. I swapped back to a steel bcg and it ran much better.

I was using a flatwire spring and I think I'm going to swap to an extra power spring. If you squeeze the trigger hard it seems to catch the bolt carrier at the rear, release slightly and it allows the carrier to complete the cycle.

Mine was on a brand new build with an A5 tube, flatwire spring and kynsot 9mm buffer. It was really slow with the rifle gas system. I swapped to an A5H2 and it was probably running around 700rpm after that.  I've got an A5H0 and next time I go out I'll probably use the H0 and an XP spring. My buddy used it and seemed to have more issues than I did. A couple times it failed to feed on him, I think swapping springs will fix that.

Hopefully I can splice together a quick video soon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#2]
If anyone doesn’t like it or has an extra let me know I will pay extra
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Elroy_Lobo:
If anyone doesn’t like it or has an extra let me know I will pay extra
View Quote

How much extra?

One went for $1325 last night on GB and executed BINs for $1000 are becoming routine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:06:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fowty] [#4]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

How much extra?

One went for $1325 last night on GB and executed BINs for $1000 are becoming routine.
View Quote

Guess I won't ever be getting one
That's an expensive turn in if they get bumpstocked.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]

How much extra?

View Quote

Yeah no that’s insane lol, I was thinking an extra $50-100 above retail
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol @ Gunbroker prices. I guess I should have neck bearded a few geez.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]

How much extra?

View Quote

Lol, wow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Dang, that’s wild

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=Rare%20breed%20trigger%20frt
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Gooood daaamn.
Why are the prices so high?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#10]
$1,500 but shipping is free!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:32:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By strangejames:
Gooood daaamn.
Why are the prices so high?
View Quote

Supply/Demand and election results.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
My FRT is supposed to arrive next week. Put this together for it.
Spikes .308 (A5 length) tubeKynshot 9mm hydraulic buffer
Tubb flat wire spring
18" rifle gas heavy barrel with pinned gas block
KAC URX rail
Keymo flash hider
Moe+ grip
M16 bcg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20201230_150658_jpg-1755360.JPG

I think I may swap to a 1-6.5x SMRS.
View Quote

I got my FRT right after xmas, Was thinking about trying in an Ar-10 also. How'd it work out ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:02:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: deadbolt] [#13]
I bought one from Big Daddy when they were "in stock" but it still has not shipped. Called them and got some BS line about their order processing and basically I'm in pre order. Get word from a friend this morning who "pre ordered" and his shipped yesterday.

I'll never buy another damn thing from Big Daddy Unlimited. They are either amateurs, liars or both.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Ordered mine on Friday. Going to try it in my integrally suppressed 9mm AR15!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Loudenboomer_8972:

I got my FRT right after xmas, Was thinking about trying in an Ar-10 also. How'd it work out ?
View Quote
ROF with the Kynshot buffer and rifle gas was really slow. I liked it a little better with the A5H2 buffer.

It doesn't like aluminum carriers, they seem to bind easily on the hammer and holding the trigger back holds the bolt open.

If you pull the trigger with a little force it catches the bcg in a rear position and your rifle won't finish cycling until you let some pressure off. Squeeze gently and you get consistent replication of full auto.

I'm going to swap to a different spring and drop the AR15 flatwire spring. Maybe go to something with some extra power so it has a larger operating window. I think the steady rate flatwire spring is a poor choice for this trigger.

I need to splice a few clips together and stick it on YouTube. It was very fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Got to play with one that my friend owned and installed on his Frankenstein rifle a few days ago. It wasn’t what my friend and I expected it to be; I thought you’d feel a break with every pull of the trigger but this isn’t a trigger with a perceivable break. The hammer will just fall past a certain point. The disconnecter at the rear really acts as a sear when the BCG catches it as it goes into battery, that frees the trigger to begin its rearward travel to a break that you won’t feel.

Whether you’d like the ability to let a few rounds fly with every trigger “pull” on semi is up to you. Having owned a M16A1 at one point, I just prefer having a dedicated third position for letting good times roll.

The trigger does have one issue that we found out and as others have mentioned: it exerts upward pressure on the BCG and that pressure is dependent on how hard you’re pulling the trigger. On an ordinary trigger, the trigger itself has a rearward stop in the way of the safety selector. On this trigger, the trigger presses against the forced reset mechanism which comes in contact with the hammer at its rearward limit. This means that it’s possible to hold down the trigger hard enough that you’ll stop the bolt in its cycle or otherwise slow it down enough that you’ll have issues where the bolt won’t go into battery (probably why they recommend a heavy buffer). My friend also didn’t lube his rifle at all, which may have contributed to the issue at the range, but once we got lube on the bearing surfaces it was still possible to hold the bolt back through pressure on the trigger alone. As others mentioned here, light to moderate pressure should be your sweet spot.

All in all, I still don’t know if I’d drop $400 on one. 🤷‍♂️ If they could make this trigger where the semi stays semi and the third position is for funsies like the Tac Con 3MR, I would buy it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]
My 02$. I had the opportunity to play with one. Kept the trigger in the same lower and tried it with 3 different uppers. One, a 12.5 suppressed  KAC, would not run it at all. one shot, dead trigger, manually cycle action, live round pops out of chamber. Second  was a suppressed colt 14.5  socom/m203 barreled A2 upper. Ran at about 80%, good 3 round bursts, occasional same issue as first upper, no consistent FA.  Third upper was the lightest, a 10.5 Gissele suppressed. Ran perfect, you could get 3rd burst and near full auto fire.  Course made me mad because I dont want to burn up my expensive upper and barrel. All uppers had m16 carriers and as I said, I had the same lower/buffer tube combo on all, so I really don't know what to  attribute the different success rates to-  I swapped back and forth upper/lowers a couple times to make sure it wasn't my trigger pull . YMMV
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:34:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HammeredSole] [#18]
I'd buy one
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:45:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QtrMOA] [#19]
Originally Posted By NineMMAR15:
View Quote

@NinemmAR15 . . . . I'm not saying it won't work, but don't get your hopes up too high.  I have seen at least two 9mm's not work. Many 9mm bolts have non full-auto cuts, and that will ruin the effect of the trigger, to say the least.

But, if it DOES work, please report back and let us know what setup you're using that will make it run!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:41:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack007] [#20]
Studying the comments here and other places, it seems that the buffer is/can be an issue.
Does anyone have an idea whether the standard H buffer in my stock Colt M4 6920 16" bbl will be okay, or will I need to order an H2 or even an H3?
Don't want to buy one if I don't need it but...
Mine should be here later this week.
I'm hoping it will be a better experience than my TAC CON was.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Jack007:
Studying the comments here and other places, it seems that the buffer is/can be an issue.
Does anyone have an idea whether the standard H buffer in my stock Colt M4 6920 16" bbl will be okay, or will I need to order an H2 or even an H3?
Don't want to buy one if I don't need it but...
Mine should be here later this week.
I'm hoping it will be a better experience than my TAC CON was.
View Quote
It's much better than taccon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:21:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#22]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
It's much better than taccon.
View Quote

A lot of people are pulling/holding the trigger way too tight. I was having issues like everyone until I stopped pulling so tight. It cannot force reset if it is pulled to tight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#23]
How sensitive is the trigger to how hard you pull?  Is it easy to pull it too tight or do you need a death grip on the trigger to stop the bolt?

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By spork:
How sensitive is the trigger to how hard you pull?  Is it easy to pull it too tight or do you need a death grip on the trigger to stop the bolt?

View Quote
You don't need a death grip to stop the bolt. I'm going to put an XP main spring in to increase the sweet spot for the operating window.  

As soon as you release pressure, the bolt finishes cycling.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By spork:

View Quote

If you use a death grip then it won't reset the trigger. Just be chill, not too much, not too little. I thought I had to do the death grip initially to make it force reset, but I was holding too hard.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SIASL:
Dang, that's wild

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=Rare%20breed%20trigger%20frt
View Quote
Holy shit. Those prices are insane.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

I put it in my 9mm, unfortunately the cut of the bolt carrier is such it does not trip the release. Also unfortunate, I do not remember who makes this bolt carrier, it's got no markings on it. If you've got a bolt carrier that does work I'd love to know what it is!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:58:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I got mine yesterday and it took all of ten minutes to strip the lower of my Colt 6920 and drop it in.
Took it out to test with a friend.
I must say I was amazed at its performance. Def the ROF of a bumpstock and honestly felt like my M16A2.
I only got to shoot a couple of 30 rd mags. I had no stoppages, but I did have one disconcerting moment. As I finished what I thought was the last round and started to turn away, it fired one last shot. It may have been error on my part as I thought the mag was empty from the last "dump"? I will test some more and be ultra careful.
My buddy would get a short burst and a FTF. I'd come over, rack the handle and he'd get another short burst...maybe 3 rds. I took it over and easily finished off the mag without issues. I am assuming he wasn't riding the trigger and perhaps jerking it trying to get bursts or pulling too hard? The carrier was always about halfway in the ejection port with the round tilted up.

So questions to those with experience:

I was using the stock H buffer. My H2 has not arrived yet due to the insanity that is the USPS. Does it sound like I will have any different performance with the heavier buffer? After all, factory is suggesting H3??? Should I have ordered an H3?

I am most concerned how ATF will view this trigger... I can say that at least mine, is IMPOSSIBLE to dry fire semi auto. No matter what I do, closing the bolt trips the hammer exactly as my M16 does in FA. There's no way to catch the hammer on the disconnect if you are even BARELY touching the trigger. I don't feel any "forward pressure" at all. As soon as the bolt is in forward battery it drops the hammer. In fact, it is indistinguishable from my 16 on FA. I am speaking here of DRY CYCLE FIRING. Not with ammunition! Is this NORMAL?

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By muricanwerewolf:

I put it in my 9mm, unfortunately the cut of the bolt carrier is such it does not trip the release. Also unfortunate, I do not remember who makes this bolt carrier, it's got no markings on it. If you've got a bolt carrier that does work I'd love to know what it is!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By muricanwerewolf:

Could post pics of the carrier you're using. Im running a Kaw Valley Precision bolt and carrier. Dont have an FRT to drop in it, but im on the fence about getting one. Id like to drop it in my 9mm or my CMMG 22lr conversion but im not hearing good things about them working in AR9's and haven't seen much about using them in 22 conversions.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#30]
———
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:24:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DackJaniels] [#31]
Redacted
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:42:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd be in if they released a version that utilized the third selector position like binaries do.

As they say, treat these new products as a beta test, if you have the patience to wait until it's proven.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Its_Raining_Lead] [#33]
Does anyone know what's going on at Big Daddy Unlimited? I ordered one on the 2nd and it listed a few hundred available. The order went to preparing for shipment and then it just sat. I called a week later and the guy said they had a lot of orders and mine was being packed to send out that day. It never went out. I sent an email two weeks after that about what the status was, and they told me they had 'thousands' of orders and they were going out in the order they were received. Did not bother to tell me if I was next to be shipped or one of the lucky 'thousands'. I ordered mine when there were a couple hundred in stock, but it seems I've just paid up front for a pre-order? They won't answer the phone anymore for shipping status it seems.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Its_Raining_Lead:
Does anyone know what's going on at Big Daddy Unlimited? I ordered one on the 2nd and it listed a few hundred available. The order went to preparing for shipment and then it just sat. I called a week later and the guy said they had a lot of orders and mine was being packed to send out that day. It never went out. I sent an email two weeks after that about what the status was, and they told me they had 'thousands' of orders and they were going out in the order they were received. Did not bother to tell me if I was next to be shipped or one of the lucky 'thousands'. I ordered mine when there were a couple hundred in stock, but it seems I've just paid up front for a pre-order? They won't answer the phone anymore for shipping status it seems.
View Quote

You're not the only one. Lots of people are having the same issue that you are.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reset9] [#35]
Originally Posted By iGottaDropADuce:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Its_Raining_Lead:

I tried to call yesterday as well.  I got kicked off the line twice when I reached the 2nd person in the que.

I was calling to cancel my order since I just then noticed that they charged my card for the trigger when I purchased it.  Bullshit.  Most companies don’t charge you until they ship.  I sent them an email requesting the cancellation and a refund immediately.

BDU can kiss my ass.  I don’t need that trigger that bad.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Reset9:

I tried to call yesterday as well.  I got kicked off the line twice when I reached the 2nd person in the que.

I was calling to cancel my order since I just then noticed that they charged my card for the trigger when I purchased it.  Bullshit.  Most companies don’t charge you until they ship.

BDU can kiss my ass.  I don’t need that trigger that bad.
View Quote

Most companies I've purchased from charge up front besides maybe Optics Planet.

Maybe it's just me though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NineMMAR15] [#37]
My sole intention was to get this trigger for my suppressed 9mm AR15, and it works very well.  My gun is a Rock River Arms LAR9 SBR purchased back in 2005ish. This gun uses Colt SMG / Uzi mags, and came with a non-ramped bolt. It would appear that the FRT trigger will only work with non ramped bolts. The hammer of the FRT trigger is not as tall as the hammer of a standard AR which is the height the ramped 9mm bolts are designed to work with. A ramped 9mm bolt strikes the hammer at a HIGHER point than than a non ramped. Because it strikes higher and resets the trigger at a different point this timing is not compatibility with the shorter hammer of the FRT.

OBSERVATIONS:
*Traditional AR triggers have a short reset, the FRT-15 trigger functions without the use of a disconnector, and exploits a even shorter reset.

*The harder you squeeze the trigger the more likely you are to stall the travel of the bolt.

* Faster ROF with PCC, and lighter buffer

*This trigger reminds me of the "Response Trigger" on the Tippmann A5 paintball gun.

IMPROVEMENTS
* Re-design with a 3rd position ( Safe, Semi , FRS ) selector would be better.

Rare Breed FRT-15 Range Time
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:41:55 AM EDT
[#38]
My sole intention was to get this trigger for my suppressed 9mm AR15, and it works very well.  My gun is a Rock River Arms LAR9 SBR purchased back in 2005ish. This gun uses Colt SMG / Uzi mags, and came with a non-ramped bolt. It would appear that the FRT trigger will only work with non ramped bolts. The hammer of the FRT trigger is not as tall as the hammer of a standard AR which is the height the ramped 9mm bolts are designed to work with. A ramped 9mm bolt strikes the hammer at a HIGHER point than than a non ramped. Because it strikes higher and resets the trigger at a different point this timing is not compatibility with the shorter hammer of the FRT.

OBSERVATIONS:
*Traditional AR triggers have a short reset, the FRT-15 trigger functions without the use of a disconnector, and exploits a even shorter reset.

*The harder you squeeze the trigger the more likely you are to stall the travel of the bolt.

* Faster ROF with PCC, and lighter buffer

*This trigger reminds me of the "Response Trigger" on the Tippmann A5 paintball gun.

IMPROVEMENTS
* Re-design with a 3rd position ( Safe, Semi , FRS ) selector would be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr5oJ6wcKWE
View Quote

Im running this bolt. Can't tell if its ramped or not, any input?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Kaw Valley 9mm bolts are ramped
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Finally took mine out to the range this morning.  Took with me a carbine, H1, H2, and H3 buffer and two different uppers.  One is is 10.5 DD and the other a 12.5 BCM.  Ran it both without a suppressor on each and with a suppressor (micro 30 in short config).  Tried the H1 buffer first on both and they each ran great with no issues, then tried with H2 and couldn’t tell much difference.  Based on the ROF I was achieving on both I decided there was no need to use the H3 or standard carbine buffer as I felt the H1 was best for both uppers.  Suppressor also seemed to make little difference although I’m sure it was slightly faster it probably helped that it was a .30 caliber suppressor and very short configuration so the back pressure was minimal.  Ran approximately 100 rounds through each upper with the trigger and had no stoppages or issues.  It is difficult to pull a single shot but it is possible if you concentrate.  Doubles and triples are very easy.  Overall, I am very impressed with it and the ROF with the H1 buffer is identical to my issued M4.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Damn I was really hoping to use it in my AR9
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Any idea if this would work better in a piston system like a lwrc or maybe even a different system like the faxon ARAK?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TBone556:
Any idea if this would work better in a piston system like a lwrc or maybe even a different system like the faxon ARAK?
View Quote

I have mine in a Superlative Arms piston. Works fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Spliced a few quick clips together.
Rare Breed FRT-15 Forced Reset Trigger

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Wouldn’t mind picking one of these up if they come back in stock.

I own a M16 would be interesting to compare them side by side.

Also wonder if I can get my .22 upper to run on it.  Runs great on my M16

M16 lower, CMMG 4.5" barrel, SilencerCo Sparrow 50 rounds drum and 4 25 round mags. Federal bulk .22

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Lohe:
Wouldn't mind picking one of these up if they come back in stock.

I own a M16 would be interesting to compare them side by side.

Also wonder if I can get my .22 upper to run on it.  Runs great on my M16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxTA41SCyic

View Quote
That .22 runs great! Details on the upper? I need one for my M16.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#47]
CMMG dedicated upper (not one of those conversions kits) 4.5” barrel, Silencerco  sparrow, CMMG full auto 22 bolt/sear trip adapter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Basically one of these.
https://cmmginc.com/product/upper-group-banshee-300-mk4-22lr/

That would be the current version.

And this
https://cmmginc.com/product/auto-sear-trip-kit-22arc/
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks. I need to get one ordered so it's on hand when my F4 gets approved.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#50]
So interesting, I spent more time trying to figure why it will run in some uppers and not others.
I noticed that in the uppers where it didn't run consistently, when I closed the uppers with
The bolt forward onto the lower with the trigger group in it, the sear would hit the bolt and wouldn't
Close without withdrawing the bolt slightly. With the upper that runs well, it closes  fine with bolt
In battery. Wondering if maybe slight dimention difference in carier shelf/length?
Page / 56
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top