Forward Controls Design (Page 17 of 32)
Page / 32
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:16:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mnew007:
@Duffy

You guys are the best. Lol.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67457/A11C4677-16AB-4D3F-9D5C-A330BBF59E60-2435721.jpg
View Quote

I love it!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Just an FYI,  Bevan Ballistics has a few ABC/r’s (serrated/non-biased) format in stock.  

Took me forever and a day to finally get ahold of one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:20:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Radiant] [#3]
FCD everything! Great thread and Roger is a gem!

these FCD parts are going in every build as the funds permit

•RBF - Reinforced buffer retainer

•ESF-H - End plate sling adapter (3 QD slot)

•ASF-50Q (50 degree Q lever safety)

•EMR-H (mag release)

•Sling Keep B

•CNF (Castle nut)

•TGF (winter trigger guard)

•LDFA - low drag / low snag forward assist

•Snake oil

•EPC - dust cover

•I have not tried the bolt catch / release but look forward to trying it on my LMT's. I would use the ambi mag release but can't on MAR's lowers. I use surefire 3 prong's because I got a surefire can or I would be using those muzzle devices etc! If I was not running LMT MRP/MAR's / ADM UIC's, I would be running their lowers/upper's and hand-guards as well! ACF ch is fire and very sturdy / well made, I just prefer something slightly wider like the Radians / Geissele, but besides that personal preference it feels even more sturdy/robust

highly recommended!

function over form.. but the form happens to be excellent as well!  🦆 💎
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked up an ACF and when I compare it to my el-cheapo tdp charging handle and my radian it feels much more sturdy. Others often feel a bit delicate when I hold them in hand- this one feels more like it would not bend under any circumstances. Seems high quality, love the ergonomic changes done to it (thickening the handle instead of lengthening it is a great touch), can't wait to run it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NewWind:
Picked up an ACF and when I compare it to my el-cheapo tdp charging handle and my radian it feels much more sturdy. Others often feel a bit delicate when I hold them in hand- this one feels more like it would not bend under any circumstances. Seems high quality, love the ergonomic changes done to it (thickening the handle instead of lengthening it is a great touch), can't wait to run it.
View Quote

Same. The radian used to be my favorite but prefer the ACF now after running it. Very sturdy.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:45:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HyperMuteki] [#6]
Freedom Firearms still has LRF for sale. Please buy them today as my self control is too weak and I'll take another one home if I see them tomorrow as I have to shop for more parts.

I really have paranoia about the government trying to ban AR15s which is why I've been buying up magazines and parts like crazy. My girlfriend is going to kill me soon and she works from home so it's impossible to hide stuff I buy unless it comes in on Wednesday which is the only day she goes into the office and why I go shopping on Wednesdays. Stupid covid
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HyperMuteki:
Freedom Firearms still has LRF for sale. Please buy them today as my self control is too weak and I'll take another one home if I see them tomorrow as I have to shop for more parts.

I really have paranoia about the government trying to ban AR15s which is why I've been buying up magazines and parts like crazy. My girlfriend is going to kill me soon and she works from home so it's impossible to hide stuff I buy unless it comes in on Wednesday which is the only day she goes into the office and why I go shopping on Wednesdays. Stupid covid
View Quote

Weapon Outfitters has 2 in stock
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Any idea when EPCs are coming back in stock? It’s the only FCD part I currently am looking for but can’t see paying double on the EE.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelCased] [#9]
For those interested, there are charging handles (ACF) in black available on the FCD website.

ACF Randy
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SteelCased:
For those interested, there are charging handles (ACF) in black available on the FCD website.

ACF Randy
View Quote

$130 for a blem??

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Functionally Randys are the same as non-blemished units.  Aluminum prices have gone up, and will go up even further by 3 to 4x that it's gone up to already.

You can thank potato chief for that, the price hike doesn't help us, but only harm ACF sales.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Duffy:
Functionally Randys are the same as non-blemished units.  Aluminum prices have gone up, and will go up even further by 3 to 4x that it's gone up to already.

You can thank potato chief for that, the price hike doesn't help us, but only harm ACF sales.
View Quote

The forged URF I just picked up from Revival Defense for $110 has far more aluminum and machining in it. A $130 charging handle smells like internet hype and drop culture. More power to ya
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]
What it may seem like to you is inaccurate in real life, our cost doubled on ASF, while URF-F cost stayed the same from Centurion Arms, for now, that won't last.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]
What it may seem like to you is inaccurate in real life, our cost doubled on ASF, while URF-F cost stayed the same from Centurion Arms, for now, that won't last.
View Quote

I need a URF-F for my Evolve FCD lower
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HyperMuteki:

View Quote

Been there. I just realized that my ammo stash had been depleted a bit more than I was comfortable with. Ordered another case. Then went back and looked again and realized that I'd missed the shit stacked off to the side and I really had more than I thought I did. Now I just hope the new box shows up before she gets home from work because I'm already 1,000s over what she realizes 😆
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:55:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Radiant] [#16]
Originally Posted By basicAR:

The forged URF I just picked up from Revival Defense for $110 has far more aluminum and machining in it. A $130 charging handle smells like internet hype and drop culture. More power to ya
View Quote

are you busting Radian's chops as well for their price increases? how about vortex on their 1-10x? (that was a real gouging move on their part huh?) what about Trijicon or Eotech??

meh, 🤷🏻‍♂️

buying ahead of time is currently a hedge against inflation.

with how many products FCD is actually releasing, I doubt their getting rich off of a 10-20$ increase! They offer products as good as they come! If you keep your eyes peeled and come correct a deal can always be had!

happy hunting! 🦆
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Radiant:

are you busting Radian's chops as well for their price increases? how about vortex on their 1-10x? (that was a real gouging move on their part huh?) what about Trijicon or Eotech??

meh, 🤷🏻‍♂️

buying ahead of time is currently a hedge against inflation.

with how many products FCD is actually releasing, I doubt their getting rich off of a 10-20$ increase! They offer products as good as they come! If you keep your eyes peeled and come correct a deal can always be had!

happy hunting! 🦆
View Quote

Calm down, nobody’s chops are getting busted. I own one complete FCD rifle and every other rifle I own has 🦆 parts on it. Just simply pointing out the obvious that a $130 BLEM charging handle is hypebeast insane. But don’t let me interrupt the fanboying.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By basicAR:

Calm down, nobody’s chops are getting busted. I own one complete FCD rifle and every other rifle I own has 🦆 parts on it. Just simply pointing out the obvious that a $130 BLEM charging handle is hypebeast insane. But don’t let me interrupt the fanboying.
View Quote

Get out.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:05:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#19]
All good, I don't have a thin skin.  Folks can say what they want.  On some products we have a good/normal margin, on others the margin has been low since 2015 in order to not price it out of reach.  ACF at $130 is still $50 less than what it should be, but even if we were in the position to charge whatever we can command, $180 for a charging handle is pushing it into the conspicuous consumption arena.

We are, however, in a position to charge what we need to.  We're a small shop and make everything in small batches which allows us to make changes and improvements quickly.  ACF will see a few minor changes to improve it, some can be seen but most aren't visible.  ACF is already fulfilling its mission as it was designed to do, we're changing the sold dowel pins to spring/coil pins for improved reliability.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#20]
All good, I don't have a thin skin.  Folks can say what they want.  On some products we have a good/normal margin, on others the margin has been low since 2015 in order to not price it out of reach.  ACF at $130 is still $50 less than what it should be, but even if we were in the position to charge whatever we can command, $180 for a charging handle is pushing it into the conspicuous consumption arena.

We are, however, in a position to charge what we need to.  We're a small shop and make everything in small batches which allows us to make changes and improvements quickly.  ACF will see a few minor changes to improve it, some can be seen but most aren't visible.  ACF is already fulfilling its mission as it was designed to do, we're changing the sold dowel pins to spring/coil pins for improved reliability.
View Quote

is there any plans for an ACF that is slightly wider? I prefer the robust design and function of the ACF, but the Radian / Geissele is a little easier for how I manipulate my weapons. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#21]
No plans for a wide version, the current version costs plenty to make already because the shaft and T handle are one piece, and the size of the block is 2x the size of charging handles with moving handles/latches.

CHs with long handles have their share of problems, all for accessibility that I think can be easily addressed without resorting to a solution for a single issue but comes with so many flaws.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 11:52:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gotuonpaper] [#22]
I love that @Duffy is a class act on here. Most people having their prices questioned would be a little testy about it.  

You make a reasoned statement about why it is what it is and move on.  You have shown that time and again also in the OPF-G thread.  Why I will continue to buy parts from you company where and when I can.  Thanks for great stuff.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:
I love that @Duffy is a class act on here. Most people having their prices questioned would be a little testy about it.  

You make a reasoned statement about why it is what it is and move on.  You have shown that time and again also in the OPF-G thread.  Why I will continue to buy parts form you company where and when I can.  Thanks for great stuff.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Get out.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#25]
On my way to building a complete FCD rifle minus barrel. Managed to find a serrated SBCG that’ll be here tomorrow. If anyone has a dimpled SBCG I’d be interested.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn, just now catching up in this one. When I finished building out my LT UU 12", I wanted to use FCD parts exclusively for the rest of the parts, but the CHs werent out then, and some pieces here and there were OOS a lot.

Now Im going to have to redo the damn thing
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#27]
ACF is already fulfilling its mission as it was designed to do, we're changing the sold dowel pins to spring/coil pins for improved reliability.
View Quote

Have there been any reported failures of the solid dowel pins? Thought they were an interesting choice and the first charging handle to use them, that I’m aware of, but understand the benefits of swapping to coil pins.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Are the LRF lowers bolt lock on right side?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#29]
LRF's right side bolt device only releases, it doesn't lock.

Dowel pins are strong but they lack elasticity, it requires very a high degree of precision and has very little tolerance for mistakes, sometimes the pins won't seat all the way in, it's not been an issue except for 1 or 2 out of thousands we released.

ACF's design has a feature we were going to file a patent for, then I decided not to.  The latch recesses into the T handle if mortared, this places no stress on the pin so the strength of the pin is largely irrelevant in ACF's design, the design doesn't stress the material on the latch and CH body around the pin.  Coiled pins are more than sufficiently robust, the aluminum would give way before a coiled pin would, this matters for CHs with handles or latches that bottom out when mortared/hit hard, ACF gets around this by using a design that allow the latches to continue to rotate into the T handle, instead of coming to a hard stop.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I ordered one of their sling sockets. It showed up today and while installing it one of the little m-lock tabs split in half. I asked them if I could order a replacement and Roger immediately replied and said he'd send me a couple of them. Kinda hard to argue with that service. From time to time anything can wind up with a flaw, but how a company handles it says a lot. I had a rough day with gun parts today. All of my shit that showed up was a disaster.  Broke the sling mount, my mount for my light didn't work out like I'd planned, my MI quick detach mount for my acog is just a fucktarded design... But, at least FCD stepped up and went out of their way to make things right.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By EnD:
Are the LRF lowers bolt lock on right side?
View Quote

As a workaround, I've been using the Redimag redicatch mag release. Works like the radian lower where depressing the mag release will also catch the bolt as you pull back the charging handle. It's been my favorite $50 firearms purchase
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Do any of the fcd uppers require thermal fitting?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Thoughts on the FCD 6315KM muzzle device for a Sandman S on a Knights CQB 11.5?  I am waiting for the Knights SBR to get out of jail.  I was going to get a Dead Air keymo flash hider, but wanted to see the opinions on this compared to the Dead Air.   And no, I didn't read all the pages.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Our uppers do not need thermal fitting.

Dead Air, SOLGW both make very good Keymo devices.  Our Xeno devices should be here today or tomorrow
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: leoAR] [#35]
Hi Duffy,
Will the EPC be available soon? Specifically the ODG, single or double dimple, doesn’t matter. I require at least two. These seem to sell out quickly, so maybe consider larger batch production? There really isn’t anything else like it on the market. I would rather not settle for the Magpul OG port covers.
Thanks, Mike

As a follow up, I just read on the Capable Citizen site that the EPC isn’t compatible with the Centurion Arms uppers. If that’s the case then I’m SOL because I have two of those for the uppers I’m assembling. Both are forged, not billet if it matters.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#36]
It's compatible now, the first batch of SMOS made EPCs had the latch further out than TDP spec.

The shop is making plenty but ano has been the hold up.  The high rejection rate, and that we only send 100% units to dealers, means there isn't enough to go around.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Roger would you be able to share when LPD might come round again? Got some lowers like MARS-L and ADM UIC that I can't stick an EMR-A in
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#38]
They went to coating, we should get them back in couple of weeks, this will be the first production run, we had a few pre-production units in 2019 or 2020 that were missing some key features.

EMR-A v2 was complete in 2021, but we are most likely going to abandon the design that is very complicated to produce, and go to a simpler one instead.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:18:46 AM EDT
[#39]
6315XE is on the site!

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/6315xe-12-x-28.html

Will Brownells be getting a shipment soon? I have store credit with them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#40]
We should be getting 6315XE and 6310XE next week.  Brownell's will probably carry them
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#41]
They went to coating, we should get them back in couple of weeks, this will be the first production run, we had a few pre-production units in 2019 or 2020 that were missing some key features.

EMR-A v2 was complete in 2021, but we are most likely going to abandon the design that is very complicated to produce, and go to a simpler one instead.
View Quote

Thanks Roger!
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By KBar15:
Thoughts on the FCD 6315KM muzzle device for a Sandman S on a Knights CQB 11.5?  I am waiting for the Knights SBR to get out of jail.  I was going to get a Dead Air keymo flash hider, but wanted to see the opinions on this compared to the Dead Air.   And no, I didn't read all the pages.
View Quote

It's very good on a 14.5 KAC. Like almost everything FCD, its also accidentally very nice looking too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Used nearly all FCD parts for my lower parts kit to build out my LMT cerakoted lower/SR15 upper General Purpose rifle

As usual, everything looks and functions great. The extended takedown pins might be the best thing ever invented.

The castle nut is well… a castle nut and the QD cup on the endplate works as it should. The burnt bronze cerakote matches well with my 50shades of FDE/tano build.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#44]
A2 vs 6315, 6315KM

A2 and 6315 split screen 1 muted

6315 does so without incurring flash, concussion and noise, it's very closely based on the A2, itself a superb example of simplicity and functions.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 5:09:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yukarin] [#45]
I'm a fan of Rodger's philosophy in functional parts and attention to quality detail slightly midway before they started getting popular with the 'gram crowd. They're pricy than most but that comes with any small business and I support them.

Also when are we getting the chrome SBCG's again I need dimples 😩
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I too need a dimpled SBCG for my dimple gang lower
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Chromed SBCGs have been shelved, we're going to phosphate and NP3.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#48]
@Duffy, I know you previously said a couple pages back this year on SBCGs. Any more solid timeline on NP3s? Will they be 3, 4, 5 dimpled or 4, 5, 6? Thanks as always Roger.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Not on SBCGs, significant delays at coating that may prompt us to move production to yet another shop.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 32
Forward Controls Design (Page 17 of 32)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top