AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 60
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jonny1904:

That's the problem, he's enabling the eating of our own. He could be so much better by refraining from enabling the toxicity with the GD esque shit posting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

He’s doing pretty well for himself.  Down to earth, seems self aware. All around good guy. Let’s not eat our own.

That's the problem, he's enabling the eating of our own. He could be so much better by refraining from enabling the toxicity with the GD esque shit posting.

Start a competitive channel and take all of his subscribers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]

View Quote
Maybe on some things, but that video was very straightforward and contained no elitist flare. I personally can't stand the "I'm better than you" gear queer types, but he doesn't come off that way.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:04:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AliasSLH] [#3]
The only problem flannel daddy has is the same as a lot of us.
Surrounded by boomer fudds who cant see the future is now.

Picture!

SOLGW
10.5 Upper
bcg
LFT

Raptor
Surefire m600sr07
GA M2 BUIS
BCM MLOK grips(not in this picture I have guntec mlok grippers in this one.)
YHM Break and Flash Can thing
Trash handguard I really need to replace but works

ADM UIC lower
A5 RE
A5h3
green sprinco
SBA3
Radian 45*

magpul grip
ms1 sling in RG
Splitfix in gods plaid

Holoshit solar will be replaced once I get a different scope for my rifle and the p4xi will go on this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#4]
NM, not worth it.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#5]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

AK47 was designed as a sub machine gun. The SKS was to be the infantry rifle

CD
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M-4matus:

I agree on the Galils.  Most people don't know this, but the AK-47 was designed for use as a sub-machinegun.  That is what the Russians were trying to produce.  The fact that Russian Ammunition manufactureses largely utilized soft steel cored FMJ projectiles in order to save cost, cause those Ruskies to come up with all kinds of crazy rounds, mostly in 7.62 and 9mm.  The fact that steel core projectiles are lighter than lead FMJ of the same size required many of their cartridges tk be loaded very hot.  Think 9mmx21, they needed the extra powder.  Due to this reoccurance of high pressure rounds the Russians made a lot of firearms that were heavier than their eastern counterparts.   This is especially true in many of their pistols.  And Sub-Machineguns.  This is the story of how the Russians designed a weapon with sub-machinegun characteristics which often weigh about the same as U.S. fielded .30 caliber rifles of that time.

AK47 was designed as a sub machine gun. The SKS was to be the infantry rifle

CD

@Combat_Diver    Good to hear from you Brother.
That's interesting to hear the SKS part of the story.  I am new to Comm Block Firearms of any type.  I had a buddy with a CZ52 that I rebuilt, it had FTF issues, fun project.  I know the Czech market is a bit separate from what might be considered Comm Block, but it got me interested on the topic.  Got looking and Ian McCullom had a video about Russian ammo and how their steel core projectiles sent them down quite an interesting path.  It is one to watch for sure.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]

He’s doing pretty well for himself.  Down to earth, seems self aware. All around good guy. Let’s not eat our own.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
I like Garand Thumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwR3MT4_Hq0

I know that he's not a pogue but I'd be taking him more seriously if he would stop catering to mall ninjas with his meme persona act.

Completely agree.  He has, in a quite positive way been able to reach a lot of young, new gun owners.  I have many times, especially when choosing optics and other rather expensive equipment, referred to his videos to better understand what I am buying.  I live in a rural area and do not have the ability to handle the items I want to purchase so His reviews have been useful to Me.  I believe He provides unbiased information about the items He reviews and you can't really expect much more out of a guy who is trying to feed his family creating content which is immediately demonetized.  If He is a sellout, I blame You Tube.

I especially like that he consistently pushes training over spending.  I think He is a positive member of Our Community and We should stick together.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
@bigstick61
The only problem with 7.62x51 is that there are a lot of guys running barrels that a for too short.  I think if you are under 16'' or maybe even 18'', say, 13.7 or 14.5, many people just don't grasp that their .308 is now a 200M weapon.  IMHO, when comparing 7.62x51 & 7.62x39, you might as well just shoot 7.652x39 if you want to go under 16''.  I could be wrong, but I believe 7.62x39 was initially designed around a 12'' barrel.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#8]
@bigstick61
The only problem with 7.62x51 is that there are a lot of guys running barrels that a for too short.  I think if you are under 16'' or maybe even 18'', say, 13.7 or 14.5, many people just don't grasp that their .308 is now a 200M weapon.  IMHO, when comparing 7.62x51 & 7.62x39, you might as well just shoot 7.652x39 if you want to go under 16''.  I could be wrong, but I believe 7.62x39 was initially designed around a 12'' barrel.
View Quote

ugh. come on man. This thread is cool in spite of you. you sound like someone who works behind a gun counter with the amount of tired gun trope talking points you constantly bring up.

A 12.5" 308 is launching much heavier projectiles at the same velocity as a 16" 762x39 or same-weight projectiles several hundred fps faster than a 16" x39. The difference obviously increases the longer you go.

For a guy who insists the marginal fps increase going from 10.5 to 11.5 556 makes a real-world and appreciable difference, you should be excited about a gun that is several inches shorter shooting the same projectiles several hundred fps faster than the competition.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Completely agree.  He has, in a quite positive way been able to reach a lot of young, new gun owners.  I have many times, especially when choosing optics and other rather expensive equipment, referred to his videos to better understand what I am buying.  I live in a rural area and do not have the ability to handle the items I want to purchase so His reviews have been useful to Me.  I believe He provides unbiased information about the items He reviews and you can't really expect much more out of a guy who is trying to feed his family creating content which is immediately demonetized.  If He is a sellout, I blame You Tube.

I especially like that he consistently pushes training over spending.  I think He is a positive member of Our Community and We should stick together.
View Quote

Kind of the same situation for me.  I don't have the money to spend to try things out and not know the issues on, so I enjoy the vids from him and others like Mr. GunsNGear.

Garand Thumb had a great video on Cannae Phalanx backpacks that I have to go with my GOTO weapon.  Really like it a lot.

Basics of Go Bags / 3 Day Assault Packs
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:

ugh. come on man. This thread is cool in spite of you. you sound like someone who works behind a gun counter with the amount of tired gun trope talking points you constantly bring up.

A 12.5" 308 is launching much heavier projectiles at the same velocity as a 16" 762x39 or same-weight projectiles several hundred fps faster than a 16" x39. The difference obviously increases the longer you go.

For a guy who insists the marginal fps increase going from 10.5 to 11.5 556 makes a real-world and appreciable difference, you should be excited about a gun that is several inches shorter shooting the same projectiles several hundred fps faster than the competition.
View Quote

Daggertt, no homo brother, but i enjoy your posts
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:00:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#11]
Originally Posted By Daggett:

View All Quotes
@bigstick61

@Daggett
You would bite off Your nose to spite your face.  
The entire point is that most Short Barreled Semi/Full Auto, Magazine Feed Rifles in caliber .308 are generally much heavier than one chambered in 7.62x39. And, when considering barrels UNDER12'', 7.62x51 NATO does not significantly outperform, 7.62x39 or 300BLK for that matter.  Daggett, would you choose an 8" 300 BLK AR-15, or an 8" .308 in AR-10?  Also, you are becoming unlikeable.  Stop sending out personal attacks, let just relax a bit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
@bigstick61

And, just to be clear.  I work behind a milling machine, not a counter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]

@Daggett
The entire point is that most Short Barreled Semi/Full Auto, Magazine Feed Rifles in caliber .308 are generally much heavier than one chambered in 7.62x39. And, when considering barrels UNDER12'', 7.62x51 NATO does not significantly outperform, 7.62x39 or 300BLK for that matter.  Daggett, would you choose an 8" 300 BLK AR-15, or an 8" .308 in AR-10?  Also, you are becoming unlikeable.  Stop sending out personal attacks, let just relax a bit.
View All Quotes
@bigstick61

@Daggett
The data doesn't support your claims, no matter how many fancy colors, bold, or all caps you use to make them.

You said "I think if you are under 16'' or maybe even 18'', say, 13.7 or 14.5, many people just don't grasp that their .308 is now a 200M weapon.  IMHO, when comparing 7.62x51 & 7.62x39, you might as well just shoot 7.652x39 if you want to go under 16''."

That is demonstrably false. When I point that out, you switch gears to 8" barrels.

And telling me I'm unlikeable in the same breath that you're accusing me of making personal attacks doesn't make much sense either. Especially since you're following up a post where someone literally just said they like my posting.

Why don't we just stick to posting cool rifle setups and tone down the gun counter mythology a bit? BTW I never said you work at a gun counter. I said you sound like someone who does. Because you do.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Like this awesome go-to rifle.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Whatever it takes Brother.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:56:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: topgunshooter] [#16]
Here's one of my "go-to rifles".

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Speaking of short 308s, though...here's a 12.5" 308 that will trounce anything out of a 762x39 out of any length. And it weighs as much as an AR15, uses an AR15 barrel nut/handguard, bolt carrier, and AR15 length receivers. This has been sbr'd and rattle canned since the photo was taken.

Attachment Attached File

And here's a 13" 308 that is in a similar configuration to the 13" scars the ODA I was working with in afghanistan several years ago was using to smoke guys out to 600m (back when there was actually shooting going on). They had 6x elcans though.

Attachment Attached File

Of course I have nothing against 762x39 but the only value it really brings to me is cheap plinking ammo.

Here's my mutant. Meh.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#18]
Sold 2) 16'' AR-10s in past few months.  Decided to run 20" AR-10's because neither are much fun to lug in the thick woods of Maine.  They just are not a good choice for Me as a GoTo.  They are great Prone Shooters.  
I went in a different direction for 16" .308, and it's not a GoTo either.

I have a 13.7'' LW Contour LMT MLC.  It's great, it's not super heavy, but I still believe an AR-15 of the same barrel length is a better GoTo RIFLE.  I know what a POF Revolution is, pretty cool, I want one.  SCARs are too heavy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve killed whitetails out at 300m in Texas out of my 18” SAR48 Bush Rifle (FAL). 150 gr REM Corelok still expanding

CD
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]
@Daggett

Out of curiosity.  Both guns coming from the same Manufacturer, of Your choosing.  Would you choose a 12.5'' AR-15 in 6.8SPC2 or a 12.5'' AR-10 in 7.62x51?  I am just interested in what your thoughts are about this.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#21]
I’ve killed whitetails out at 300m in Texas out of my 18” SAR48 Bush Rifle (FAL). 150 gr REM Corelok still expanding

CD
View Quote

Oh, I killed deer with the 16" AR-10s just fine, no complaints there out to probably even 450-500.  They are just too long and heavy for hunting in Maine, in the woods.  Great for fields, but deer come out in fields during daylight in Maine for about the first 2 days of hunting season.  Then, You are hunting swamp the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
14.5” 7.62x51 can do work out to 600m easy, especially if you have a rangefinder
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm building a 16" .308 DMR gun at this moment.  I don't expect to shoot it past 800 yards because I know the limitations of the gun.  If I want to reach out further I need to change calibers and move to a bolt gun
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cone256:
I'm building a 16" .308 DMR gun at this moment.  I don't expect to shoot it past 800 yards because I know the limitations of the gun.  If I want to reach out further I need to change calibers and move to a bolt gun
View Quote

A 16'' .308 is capable of ranges exceeding 800 yards easily.  You just have to use quality parts, ammo, and optics.  It may not be the greatest option for that range, and the wind might start beating it up, but it is fully capable of 1000.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mban2:

A 16'' .308 is capable of ranges exceeding 800 yards easily.  You just have to use quality parts, ammo, and optics.  It may not be the greatest option for that range, and the wind might start beating it up, but it is fully capable of 1000.
View Quote

Especially if you have a faster twist barrel
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:08:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#26]
What about 6.5 or a .26? Surely a 16" in either or would be perfect for 500 and under.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

I'm sure the gun is capable but if I'm purposefully shooting past 800, I'm gonna bring something a little better like a 6.5CM in a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm sure the gun is capable but if I'm purposefully shooting past 800, I'm gonna bring something a little better like a 6.5CM in a bolt gun.
View Quote

We can definitely do better in just about anything for a purpose build but 308 is more than fine up to 1000 with a capable shooter.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:23:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbutcher] [#29]
Its really hard to beat a 14.5" - 16" 308 for a "clear the building, go to the roof, take a 700m shot" out of one gun. 6.5 grendel would also do it unless there were specific energy, bullet weight, or other requirements.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#30]
My GHB and weapon that rides with me when on the road for work trips away from home and staying out.

10.5 PSA nitride upper, Bootleg BCG, poverty pony lower with PSA ELPK, Sparc II, and YHM Turbo.  Cannae Phalanx pack.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
My GHB and weapon that rides with me when on the road for work trips away from home and staying out.

10.5 PSA nitride upper, Bootleg BCG, poverty pony lower with PSA ELPK, Sparc II, and YHM Turbo.  Cannae Phalanx pack.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73248/IMG_20210301_152545255__2__jpg-1847144.JPG
View Quote

That’s a good looking stick.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:

That’s a good looking stick.
View Quote

Thanks, funny thing is, my cheapest build, used it in a carbine course over Colts, shot the most of all my AR15s never failed once, not a lot of gas back, always held zero.  Bought the upper used years ago just as braces were really catching on.

If not traveling, it's my home defense AR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#33]
GOTOSHTF 308

Yes, I know...barrel needs chopped.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
GOTOSHTF 308

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50982738618_6afc2634b0_b.jpg
View Quote

Pretty Dope!  I believe this is the first .308 HK we have seen yet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Is there anyway we can get a Mod to unlock the polls?  I am unable to create any more.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Is there anyway we can get a Mod to unlock the polls?  I am unable to create any more.
View Quote

I don't understand why you want 87 different polls in the same thread. That's not normal. Its locked for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

I don't understand why you want 87 different polls in the same thread. That's not normal. Its locked for a reason.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:30:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#38]
@UndrGrndPrdcts
I want 3 polls.  There have only been 2 and I wanted to complete the last poll by adding other manufactures.  I believe it's locked because you can only make 5 and I closed the first poll 3 times to make changes in the first few minutes of creating them.  The polls were popular and have both times, increased images posted.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#39]
@UndrGrndPrdcts
I want 3 polls.  There have only been 2 and I wanted to complete the last poll by adding other manufactures.  I believe it's locked because you can only make 5 and I closed the first poll 3 times to make changes in the first few minutes of creating them.  The polls were popular and have both times, increased images posted.  
View Quote

Well hopefully mods can clean it up for you. It just shows 5 locked polls for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
GOTOSHTF 308

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50982738618_6afc2634b0_b.jpg
View Quote

I always wanted that, though I consider my somewhat similar scar 17 my "say hello to my little friend" set up over something I'd grab in shtf. That's for long distance or if I really have to mess stuff up

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#41]
My 6920. Bought it new in 2011. I recently bought a streamlight  protac  and a PA 1-8 scope for it. I had a Troy rail on it but I tore my rotator cuff at work, so I put a magpul handgaurd on it to try and lighten it up some. I would like to change the stock also.  
betta tank with plant on top
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

Well hopefully mods can clean it up for you. It just shows 5 locked polls for the rest of us.
View Quote

Yes, I hope a Mod can delete one of the polls so I can extend the Best Manufacturer and add brands like Colt, H&K, FN, B.C.M.; to name a few.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Wildwest22:
My 6920. Bought it new in 2011. I recently bought a streamlight  protac  and a PA 1-8 scope for it. I had a Troy rail on it but I tore my rotator cuff at work, so I put a magpul handgaurd on it to try and lighten it up some. I would like to change the stock also.  
https://i.postimg.cc/hPpNGFBv/627-A6423-2-F05-48-E9-8456-9045-C9714638.jpgbetta tank with plant on tophttps://i.postimg.cc/qvZfjPbS/CCFAF37-D-4-EE1-427-C-BDC1-35-F0-CB37-FC72.jpg
View Quote

@Wildwest22
Nice guns!  How's that Surefire Mag work?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Honestly they only malfunction I’ve ever had with my 6920 was with that mag. I attributed it to the cheap ammo I was shooting and it’s never happened again
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:33:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesJones] [#45]
Honestly they only malfunction I’ve ever had with my 6920 was with that mag. I attributed it to the cheap ammo I was shooting and it’s never happened again
View Quote

The d60 is pretty nice and reliable

Again like the Hk762/308 rifle above a few post I wouldn't want it (d60) for shtf but if there was a short engagement that involved messing **** up I'd pick it up quick.

Home defense and shtf I'd probably leave those for last resort.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:03:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#46]
View Quote

That mag loaded with cheap ammo?  

Yeah.  

I wouldn’t count it against the gun either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:36:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nickel_Plated] [#47]
My current go to rifle. All DelTon upper and lower. I replaced the M4 style stock that came on it for the older style CAR stock. I prefer the straight vertical butt of those over the slanted M4 butts. Went with an A2 upper because they just look cooler, and the extra optic height doesn't really bother me.

Burris AR332 scope
Magpul MS1 sling with BCM ULoop attaching it to the front sight.
and Streamlight HL-X light on an IWC Mount-n-slot.
OKAY mags.

Had pretty regular double feed issues that I attribute to C Products mags I used to use. Dumped them for the OKAYs and not a problem since.

Later on I want to swap the Burris for an ACOG and add a suppressor. Perhaps a KAC NT4 to complete the retro tactical look. But that's all more money than I got to play with right now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:48:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#48]
Originally Posted By jkitchen:

Again like the Hk762/308 rifle above a few post I wouldn't want it (d60) for shtf but if there was a short engagement that involved messing **** up I'd pick it up quick.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jkitchen:

Personally, I like the Surefeed E2 as ''most reliable mag", but on my home defense, I like to start out with double stacked Gen3 Windowed PMag's.  I saw this was one of the standard Set-Up's available to the British Transport Police stationed in places like Airport's. (FYI, they run LMT MRP's w/ I believe 10-5 barrels, not 100% on barrel length)  I could see the real world advantages of having the first mag stacked, you run through 60, then dump them for 30 round mags which are easily carried on a vest or belt.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:
My current go to rifle. All DelTon upper and lower. I replaced the M4 style stock that came on it for the older style CAR stock. I prefer the straight vertical butt of those over the slanted M4 butts. Went with an A2 upper because they just look cooler, and the extra optic height doesn't really bother me.

https://i.postimg.cc/FRTYXSPs/20210307-081926.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/CKN1bDpH/20210307-081944.jpg

Burris AR332 scope
Magpul MS1 sling with BCM ULoop attaching it to the front sight.
and Streamlight HL-X light on an IWC Mount-n-slot.
OKAY mags.

Had pretty regular double feed issues that I attribute to C Products mags I used to use. Dumped them for the OKAYs and not a problem since.

Later on I want to swap the Burris for an ACOG and add a suppressor. Perhaps a KAC NT4 to complete the retro tactical look. But that's all more money than I got to play with right now.
View Quote
11.5"?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#50]
11.5"?
View Quote

Yep, 1:9 chrome lined. Heavy under the handguards. Would have preferred a standard Gov't profile, but that's what was on there when I got the upper and it doesn't really bother me enough to change it. Suppose I just got used to the extra weight.
Page / 60
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top