AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 60
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SurtrsFire] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

That is where I mount the Atpial C (Peq) on my MCX, because that is where the upper receiver ends.  Just ahead of the peq is where the handguard starts.   IMO, its a more stable position to mount the peq on the receiver rather than the removable handguard....

View Quote

does the mcx handguuard flex a lot or something?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbutcher] [#2]
It’s been discussed several times here by @coregon that the Virtus handguards do return to zero when removed. I, however, have simply decided to ignore that whole discussion and mount it on the monolithic part of the upper receiver as previously mentioned.

I find it balances better and my small-ish hands mean that grabbing the PEQ around the 2” suppressor handguard is just not as comfy. It’s worth nothing that all my other guns have the laser pushed as far forward on the rail as it can go. This is just exception to that rule.

Since I’m using a pressure switch to activate it while it’s already back there, I mounted it as far back as I could while still being able to insert/remove batteries into the PEQ without having to remove it or the sight.

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#3]

That is where I mount the Atpial C (Peq) on my MCX, because that is where the upper receiver ends.  Just ahead of the peq is where the handguard starts.   IMO, its a more stable position to mount the peq on the receiver rather than the removable handguard....

View Quote

@JohnnyUtah427
IDK, I kind of think any high quality handguards made today hold zero quite well.  I do like to run LMT MRP's for the piece of mind, but I have D-BaL's on KAC URX4s, Geissele MK16, MK14, MK8s and a V-Seven, none have shifted on me.  I think all the free float rails I mentioned have alignment devices, so yeah, maybe some of the older rails or cheaper options may have issues???
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By M-4matus:

@JohnnyUtah427
Any high quality handguard made today seems to hold zero in my experience.  I do like to run LMT MRP's for the piece of mind, but I have D-BaL's on KAC URX4s, Geissele MK16, MK14, MK8s and a V-Seven, none have shifted on me.  I think all the free float rails I mentioned have alignment devices, so yeah, maybe some of the older rails or cheaper options may have issues???
View Quote

I know man....We were discussing MCX in particular, which is a whole other animal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rickesis] [#5]
I added a Cloud Defensive rail and tape switch mount and Surefire tape switch to my 10.5 today.  I'm really happy with how compact and streamlined it ended up.

Bushmaster upper and lower
Remington Defense heavy 10.5" barrel
Geissele SSA
Cloud Defensive CORv1
LWRCi ultra compact stock
AAC 762SDN6 can
Surefire M300C in an Arisaka offset mount
Aimpoint H1 on a Geissele mount

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok yeah the cloud defensive rail made that reaaaaaaaally slick...
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Switched out the T1 for the LPVO.  Not sure if it will stay this way.  Have another 11.5 build in the works that it may go on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rickesis:
I added a Cloud Defensive rail and tape switch mount and Surefire tape switch to my 10.5 today.  I'm really happy with how compact and streamlined it ended up.

Bushmaster upper and lower
Remington Defense heavy 10.5" barrel
Geissele SSA
Cloud Defensive CORv1
LWRCi ultra compact stock
AAC 762SDN6 can
Surefire M300C in an Arisaka offset mount
Aimpoint H1 on a Geissele mount

https://i.imgur.com/Prwzaty.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YGUalHX.jpg
View Quote

Needs like button.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I voted 16” because I have 16” barrels.

This is a Colt 6920.
BCM 7” rail
Arisaka light
LaRue VFG
Magpul MOE stock
VCAS sling w/BFG fixed mount
Nightforce NX8 in 1.5” 0 MOA Uni-Mount
KAC 300M buis
Tan follower G.I. mags, MK262 clone

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#10]

@JohnnyUtah427
IDK, I kind of think any high quality handguards made today hold zero quite well.  I do like to run LMT MRP's for the piece of mind, but I have D-BaL's on KAC URX4s, Geissele MK16, MK14, MK8s and a V-Seven, none have shifted on me.  I think all the free float rails I mentioned have alignment devices, so yeah, maybe some of the older rails or cheaper options may have issues???
View Quote

Then... little knowledge of 10.3-10.5” barrel ballistics > 50m

Now... little knowledge of MPX/MCX hand guard attachment method.

MPX/MCX hand guards are friction fit and are only locked to the upper via the front takedown pin. They can loosen up a bit as the round count goes up. Not very confidence inspiring.

Attachment Attached File

This is the only thing that positively holds the hand guard onto my upper/lower on my gen 2 MPX.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Then... little knowledge of 10.3-10.5” barrel ballistics > 50m

Now... little knowledge of MPX/MCX hand guard attachment method.

MPX/MCX hand guards are friction fit and are only locked to the upper via the front takedown pin. They can loosen up a bit as the round count goes up. Not very confidence inspiring.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/FF434A89-5C71-456C-A9BB-981A6BD16AED_png-1611828.JPG

This is the only thing that positively holds the hand guard onto my upper/lower on my gen 2 MPX.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/D79DC8AF-F233-4398-809F-E47AE357D12C_jpe-1611835.JPG
View Quote

didn't know that, thanks.

I was interested in a mcx but I can't bring myself to buy a sig rifle...sig isn't trust worthy as a company anymore imo.

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:

I was interested in a mcx but I can't bring myself to buy a sig rifle...sig isn't trust worthy as a company anymore imo.

View Quote

The modularity is kinda cool, but the monolithic extended upper receiver rail is pretty neat. To me the platform really shines under the parameters with which it was originally designed: a super short barrel 300 blk that has a folding stock. Bonus points for a super fat can.

I personally don’t see the point of using the mcx as a dedicated 556 gun with a longer barrel, but I would understand having a 556 barrel for your 300 blk gun. I also realize that at the end of the day it really doesn’t matter. It’s the Indian, not the arrow. Run what you have and burn it down.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By rbutcher:

The modularity is kinda cool, but the monolithic extended upper receiver rail is pretty neat. To me the platform really shines under the parameters with which it was originally designed: a super short barrel 300 blk that has a folding stock. Bonus points for a super fat can.

I personally don’t see the point of using the mcx as a dedicated 556 gun with a longer barrel, but I would understand having a 556 barrel for your 300 blk gun. I also realize that at the end of the day it really doesn’t matter. It’s the Indian, not the arrow. Run what you have and burn it down.
View Quote

I wanted a rattler but don't trust sig enough to drop that kind of money on one of their products.

its a very interesting gun for sure.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:49:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: david665] [#14]

I zeroed my 16'' mid-length Frankenbuild, the DelMag DerRetto, yesterday with some Tulammo steel cased. I hear it's not overly accurate, but I had nickle sized shot groups. I reckon anything within 100 meters won't have a very good day.

16'' Del-Ton mid-length 1/9 twist with A2 sight post
RCS M16A1 3 prong flash hider
Anderson Upper and Lower
PSA fire control group
PSA full auto BCG/buffer kit
Blackhawk single point backplate
USGI TA-312 strap as a sling
DPMS forward assist/dust cover kit
USGI A4 carry handle
Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock
Magpul MOE grip/handguards
Magpul Gen 1 20 round mag
M-7 bayonet
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#15]

View Quote

I own a MCX and I agree.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 4:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#16]

@JohnnyUtah427
I know man....We were discussing MCX in particular, which is a whole other animal.
View Quote

OK, I missed that part.  I dont have an MXC but I do have an MPX.  They have about the same rail system,  I could see return to zero for a PEQ maybe being an issue at range...+100yds

I replaced my factory rail with a Mid West Ind's and I have not had any issues with my BUIS.  And I do kind of put my gear through hell...I just would't think that an MPX or MCX rail would take a hit as well as some rail systems out there.  I like how they lock up,  I just wonder how they stand up to drop testing???

Maybe we can get Garandthumb to throw his off his house, lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I don’t remember if Aaron Cowan did a RTZ for a laser when he reviewed the Tacops, but I would say that he probably didn’t since he probably just tested the optic. I’ll have to rewatch it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
A 10.3 with my .30 cal can for now.

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:

https://i.ibb.co/PNJ5qw9/20200925-220806.jpg
View Quote

That's a lot of can. Makes my 10.5" with Turbo K look insignificant.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BUIS:

That's a lot of can. Makes my 10.5" with Turbo K look insignificant.
View Quote

I know. I have a smaller one coming.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:35:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n] [#21]
I've updated my go-to rifles here in FL to an 18" X95 and kept my 14.5" BCM upper, but swapped out the lower with my favorite New Frontier one:

Liking it so far Swapped out the lights to my Surefires as well and left the Streamlights back home.

Speaking of MCX.. I was extremely tempted to pull the trigger on a gray Virtus pistol I saw when I went to pick up my X95 at the LGS, but decided against it for monetary reasons
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:39:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#22]
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:

https://i.ibb.co/PNJ5qw9/20200925-220806.jpg
View Quote

@Hydra-shokz
Good to see you posting again.  I can always spot one of your guns before I look at the name.  So, what happened, you told me you weren't all that into suppressors?  Sick looking SBR!  Must be about as quiet as a 5.56 can be???  I actually like 30cal cans on my 5.56, I think they are a bit quieter for the shooter.  Probably not so down range.  Is that an SF SOCOM?
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#23]

@Hydra-shokz
Good to see you posting again.  I can always spot one of your guns before I look at the name.  So, what happened, you told me you weren't all that into suppressors?  Sick looking SBR!  Must be about as quiet as a 5.56 can be???  I actually like 30cal cans on my 5.56, I think they are a bit quieter for the shooter.  Probably not so down range.  Is that an SF SOCOM?
View Quote

Hey man. I'm not really into cans, but I am in the process of getting 3 more just to have. I'm going to get a dedicated 5.56 can, a 9mm and a .22LR. The .22 is the one that will be most practical since I'm building a new house on 12 acres. I'm in the suburbs so I probably won't be shooting centerfires on my property unless I have too, but I can get away with shooting a suppressed .22 all day. I've been around. Spending most my time here fucking off in GD. I'm really busy with the house build so I've taken a break on the AR stuff. I bought a 9mm Dan Wesson in May and have been shooting the crap out of that. I really haven't fired a rifle since spring.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#24]
@Hydra-shokz
NIce on the Wesson!  I've been doing the opposite, I have a lot more 5.56 than 9mm.  I have been shooting Subsonic 9mm here and there.  I wish I could do a lot more shooting than I have been.  This ammo issue is just awful.  I hate to stop my usual training.  I would normally shoot 3 or 4 days a week.  I only shoot on Sundays now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Got 'er done, minus final decision on MD. This one will be my replacement for go-to once I get her broke in. I also noticed that I just have daylight between the Arisaka finger stop screw and the GB, and fit a business card between them. Deciding if I want to take it off and attempt to shorten the screw a bit.

Kinda wishing now that I wouldve gone with an ODG ACOG and ODG Streamlight and LCS combo, but Im hoping itll grow on me. Just need to add the BFG Vickers sling when I get it

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't been in this thread in a few months. I've been selling a few rifles/handguns to fund other projects. I still have my four Colt LE6920's, one of which is the SOCOM with the 14.5" barrel. It's not even close to set up how I want it for my "go to" rifle. I'd like to set up the Colts roughly the same. Either with Eotechs or Aimpoint and maybe a Trijicon on one. Almost picked up a Eotech 512 today at my LGS.

All of my full size AR's are in my safe at my parents house. So for right now I have a PSA 10.5" with a CHF upper for home defense with the magpul hand guard, Vortex Sparcc and a stream light. I just put together another PSA lower with the SBA3 and ordered another 10.5" CHF upper with an M-lok rail which will be here Wednesday. Picked up a holosun red dot for it along with magpul back up iron sights today as well.

My PSA rifles have all gone bang for me but there is always a thought in the back of my mind if i'm making the right choice of having them as my HD rifle/Trunk gun.

My thought is for my Colts is;
1.Quad rail or magpul fore grip
2. eotech or aimpoint pro
3. Stream light or sure fire
4. Sling - Just no idea which ones.

Every time I start thinking of getting quality optics, lights and setting up the rifles the way I want, I end up buying a new gun instead. I want that to change here shortly and get these rifles "ready", should I ever need them.

Any advice you guys have would be much appreciated. My other "go to" rifle is my Springfield SOCOM. Have plenty of 20 and 25 round mags and plenty of ammo. Using iron sights with that gun but do have a scout scope for it,
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:57:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#27]
@davidb1982
You could also shave a FSP on one of the Colts and run a free float.  I built this 11-5 in this way.  I was going for different...
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#28]
@davidb1982
You could also shave a FSP on one of the Colts and run a free float.  I built this 11-5 in this way.  I was going for different...https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20201003_113426-1617835.jpg
View Quote

That’s not a bad idea. I’ve thought of removing the FSB on one and putting a free floating rail.

The Colt 6933 upper I found would be another route I want to go on another.

They aren’t fancy, but I’ll try and post my two PSA 10.5s tomorrow. My upper for my new build arrives o tomorrow so I’m anxious to get it together.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Considering picking up a Cloud Defensive Micro REIN and eventually, an Eotech G43/G45 magnifier for the top rifle.

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#30]
@CalebWBrink2000
Nice setups!  What slings are you running?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#31]
DEVGRU clone(ish) in progress. ACH on the way. Still need a gen 3 v2 Noveske upper before I can send parts off for Cerakoting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#32]
DEVGRU clone(ish) in progress. ACH on the way. Still need a gen 3 v2 Noveske upper before I can send parts off for Cerakoting.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/C9CA3322-8670-403A-985F-CF518D7145BF_jpe-1623676.JPG
View Quote

Love it. Sandman would look good as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#33]

Love it. Sandman would look good as well.
View Quote

Yeah... it still needs a bit of work. I’ll probably order a Sandman. The big dilemma for me is the ATACR. I just got a Razor 1-10x so I’m really not needing a 1-8x right now.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:52:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rbutcher] [#34]
Edit.

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Yeah... it still needs a bit of work. I’ll probably order a Sandman. The big dilemma for me is the ATACR. I just got a Razor 1-10x so I’m really not needing a 1-8x right now.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/B14222C8-B3FC-4540-8A45-6362A938634F_jpe-1624012.JPG
View Quote

@PFran42
Very nice setups!
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#36]
MCX LVAW-esque build from earlier but updated with the fatter can.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/405936/15CAFDE4-AB14-4660-A394-40F64E7D05C9_jpe-1624492.JPG
View Quote

@rbutcher
Yeah, that's a pretty sick rig I'd say.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Massive change in AO, massive change in the go-to. Happy with this one.

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask all of you to remember to vote on your favorite barrel length at the top of the page.  I'd like to get 500 votes before I close the poll.  That being said, it looks like 11-5 is the clear favorite thus far!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#39]
My 12.5 “other” firearm is my main squeeze at the moment for range time and SHTF.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By HimIOwe:
Massive change in AO, massive change in the go-to. Happy with this one.

https://i.imgur.com/ehbxvhY.jpg
View Quote

How Looooong is that?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By imdBman:

How Looooong is that?
View Quote

18”
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File
Full power Saturday
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Just got the shipping notification from triarc my 12.5 complete upper has shipped, gonna put my razor 1-10, modlite and surefire rc2 on it to create the best do everything blaster
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By hburn21:
Just got the shipping notification from triarc my 12.5 complete upper has shipped, gonna put my razor 1-10, modlite and surefire rc2 on it to create the best do everything blaster
View Quote

thats gonna be pretty sick.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

I'm pretty pumped on Triarc as well.  Definitely going to build my next SBR from a Triarc Upper.  How do the Triarc Uppers run Suppressed?  I know they make Suppressor only uppers but does anyone have experience running standard Triarc Uppers with Cans?  In my experience with other High End Manufactures, a change in buffer weights usually does the trick...
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

@hburn21
Make sure to post that Triarc!
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

When did you order?  I'm sitting on a June 1 and July 27 order, neither have been shipped.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:39:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DefenderAO] [#48]

I'm pretty pumped on Triarc as well.  Definitely going to build my next SBR from a Triarc Upper.  How do the Triarc Uppers run Suppressed?  I know they make Suppressor only uppers but does anyone have experience running standard Triarc Uppers with Cans?  In my experience with other High End Manufactures, a change in buffer weights usually does the trick...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Triarc standard size gas ports are .0625".  Their suppressed only is something like .046". Given DD is around .068" and BCM is .075" (all + or - a hair) I'd say it would be a nice shooter for a wide variety of applications.

Edit: Triarc doesn't have a suppressed only passed 11.5" bbl.  They say run a Sprinco blue spring and H buffer for the 12.5".  They usually run OSS cans with little blowback so I'd suspect they don't change internals for that can.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 3:24:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hburn21] [#49]

@hburn21
Make sure to post that Triarc!
View Quote

I’ll make sure to throw up a few pics as soon as I get it together

I’ll put probably 500 rounds suppressed through it and give a quick report
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:42:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#50]
@DefenderAO
I would have to agree with you.  I port my carbine gassed barrels .0625- .064 and they run well both suppressed and unsuppressed.  I usually run an LMT Spring and H3 Suppressed, H2 unsuppressed.  For some reason, H3 seems to cause a bit more felt recoil than H2 when shooting unsuppressed.  All my 10-5s and 11-5s run with either an H2 or H3, but H2 seems to be the sweet spot for Carbine Gassed, Unsuppressed Rifles & Pistols...
Page / 60
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top