Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 180
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You guys aren’t helping my AEM5 desires...   And subsequent MK12.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mossyrocks:
You guys aren’t helping my AEM5 desires...   And subsequent MK12.
View Quote

Just give in. It's inevitable.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#3]
mk12s are terrible.  You should never build one.

You should build 4 or 5 or 6.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Blessings be to the GWOT gods

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By StinkPotJoe:

Just give in. It's inevitable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Just give in. It's inevitable.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
mk12s are terrible.  You should never build one.

You should build 4 or 5 or 6.
View Quote

As with all things
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Just buy one maybe two parts and BAM next thing you know you have a mk12!

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:52:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#8]
View Quote

The Mk12 is cool but I think the SEAL recce 15.1/16" setups are cooler with a flush fit can. That gap on the Mk12 doesn't do it for me nor does an 18" barrel. Hollands are sweet too.

Builds I no longer have:

The CQBR is a KAC Mod 2 chopped to 10.3" that is now my current 416 bastard thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Blessings be to the GWOT gods

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20200520_101348_jpg-1424824.JPG
View Quote

Good choice
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Blessings be to the GWOT gods

View Quote

Not bad. Not bad a'tall.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
Blessings be to the GWOT gods

View Quote
When i see them at gun shows i buy em for like $8 and send em to my weirdo FSP buddies
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
 When i see them at gun shows i buy em for like $8 and send em to my weirdo FSP buddies 
View Quote

I wouldn't mind finding one for $8. Heck I'd pay double!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got some awesome news. There is a range less than 2 hours drive from me that will let me transfer the can to them and shoot it while I wait. I've also been reading the SEAL recce thread pretty heavily so I'm going to use the FF RAS I already have.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got some awesome news. There is a range less than 2 hours drive from me that will let me transfer the can to them and shoot it while I wait. I've also been reading the SEAL recce thread pretty heavily so I'm going to use the FF RAS I already have.
View Quote

Hell yeah. Much better than waiting 10 months before you can hear the goodness.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#15]
This bad bitch will be getting a barrel spun soon and profiled for aem5.  Just dunno what profile to spin yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got some awesome news. There is a range less than 2 hours drive from me that will let me transfer the can to them and shoot it while I wait. I've also been reading the SEAL recce thread pretty heavily so I'm going to use the FF RAS I already have.
View Quote

I will say that the AEM5 is much louder on the 15" vs the 18".
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

I will say that the AEM5 is much louder on the 15" vs the 18".
View All Quotes

All depends on how it's gassed.

AEM5 is the quietest on my 13" barrel, but the GP is choked to 062.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I haven’t noticed but I also shoot with ear pro on suppressed 5.56 no matter the barrel length or suppressor.

Only things I shoot suppressed without ear pro would be subsonic loads from .22, .300BLK, 9mm etc
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Three0h8] [#19]

View Quote

Would you say it's quieter than your Socom?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#20]

Would you say it's quieter than your Socom?
View Quote

Yes but I've only shot very hot 6.5cm loads through the socom. The 762RC is a thud. Where the AEM5 is a skkkttt sound.

If your going after the most quiet setup in 223 possible a MK12 with AEM5 is going to win hands down.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Is anyone versed in silver soldering a muzzle device temporarily? I have a local gunsmith that swears he can do it without barrel or muzzle device discoloration/damage and can be removed without issue when the crown says I can be trusted an a barrel shorter than 16". What's more annoying than the $200 price to play is that this muzzle device makes it over 16" and likely won't ever leave the barrel. So it will essentially be a tax stamped legal carbine. Sure, I'll probably dabble with a mini recce at some point, but at least for now it's just for this build.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#22]
My silencerco hybrid isn't the quietest with a .46 cal end cap and 5.56. It's also an 8" can and doesn't reflex so it's quite a beast of a can on a 16+ barrel. How balanced does the 12.5-13" guns feel with it? I'm also planning on doing a 12.5" fsp upper with it at some point.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#23]
My silencerco hybrid isn't the quietest with a .46 cal end cap and 5.56. It's also an 8" can and doesn't reflex so it's quite a beast of a can on a 16+ barrel. How balanced does the 12.5-13" guns feel with it? I'm also planning on doing a 12.5" fsp upper with it at some point.
View Quote

It's a heavy can but it's indestructible, mine fell off the top of my safe onto the concrete floor the other night. Nothing happened to it.

A 12.5 feels way better than a 16-18" but there are trade offs.

About every 100fps you loose with 77gr 223 your losing about 50 yards off it's distance before it hits transonic flight. Now you can obviously still be accurate and gets hits well into subsonic flight, but staying above 1300fps really helps with other variables and keeping a little energy on target.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#24]
This thing is starting to get close also. Waiting on my Black Sopmod to get here and the gas tube. Can is a thread on so just running a thread protecter while it's getting re cerakoted.

It's going to have an NX8 from time to time but wondering if I should just put a Steiner on it and call it done.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:
Is anyone versed in silver soldering a muzzle device temporarily? I have a local gunsmith that swears he can do it without barrel or muzzle device discoloration/damage and can be removed without issue when the crown says I can be trusted an a barrel shorter than 16". What's more annoying than the $200 price to play is that this muzzle device makes it over 16" and likely won't ever leave the barrel. So it will essentially be a tax stamped legal carbine. Sure, I'll probably dabble with a mini recce at some point, but at least for now it's just for this build.
View Quote

I've done a couple of mine. Mapp gas or acetylene torch is what you'll want. Propane just doesn't get it hot enough, quick enough. Heat block paste slathered on the barrel will prevent and heat coloring. Get everything prepped and do the heating in a darkened room, it's easier to see when the md starts to glow. Oil up the md after and it should  look like factory. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, practice with an old A2 md and crappy barrel you don't care much about.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I've done a couple of mine. Mapp gas or acetylene torch is what you'll want. Propane just doesn't get it hot enough, quick enough. Heat block paste slathered on the barrel will prevent and heat coloring. Get everything prepped and do the heating in a darkened room, it's easier to see when the md starts to glow. Oil up the md after and it should  look like factory. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, practice with an old A2 md and crappy barrel you don't care much about.
View Quote

I would give it a go myself if I planned on leaving it, but ultimately I want it removed when it's SBR'd. And my gunsmith seemed very confident when he promised me that he could do it with no issue. But I'd be an idiot to not get another opinion that it can be done.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#27]

I would give it a go myself if I planned on leaving it, but ultimately I want it removed when it's SBR'd. And my gunsmith seemed very confident when he promised me that he could do it with no issue. But I'd be an idiot to not get another opinion that it can be done.
View All Quotes

I've done a couple of mine. Mapp gas or acetylene torch is what you'll want. Propane just doesn't get it hot enough, quick enough. Heat block paste slathered on the barrel will prevent and heat coloring. Get everything prepped and do the heating in a darkened room, it's easier to see when the md starts to glow. Oil up the md after and it should  look like factory. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, practice with an old A2 md and crappy barrel you don't care much about.

I would give it a go myself if I planned on leaving it, but ultimately I want it removed when it's SBR'd. And my gunsmith seemed very confident when he promised me that he could do it with no issue. But I'd be an idiot to not get another opinion that it can be done.

Removing it is just as easy. Heat paste, warm the brake up and spin it off when it gets red. I did it on one of mine when I finally SBR'd a lower.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Removing it is just as easy. Heat paste, warm the brake up and spin it off when it gets red. I did it on one of mine when I finally SBR'd a lower.
View Quote

Guess I'm putting the Bushmaster aluminum CAR on tomorrow!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Finally got this upper back in working shape. She sat in the parts bin for a while until I realized I had a spare barrel nut. She’s sharing a lower with my Colt MRE upper until I can get it’s own lower with an older N1 stock or something. Also I’ve been thinking, anyone think I could slide a bottom rail from a midlength SIR to give the A2 SIR a cutout FSP look?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And I busted out the Korean Drum Mag I got for $50
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#30]
This bad bitch will be getting a barrel spun soon and profiled for aem5.  Just dunno what profile to spin yet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20200520_151419_jpg-1425178.JPG
View Quote

I was really pleased with my recon barrel from cle. If I were to do a custom for an MRE I’d either get a recon or step down to .750 after the chamber to just past the FSP, then whatever you need for the AEM5 collar.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#31]
If any of you folks are looking for the gwottiest of gwot stocks, I’m thinking of letting my N1 with John masen pad go
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#33]
AEM5 is on its way
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#34]
AEM5 is on its way 
View Quote

Nice. You won't be disappointed. I've been thinking about an AEM5-30 here recently to run on a bolt gun or SR-25.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Nice. You won't be disappointed. I've been thinking about an AEM5-30 here recently to run on a bolt gun or SR-25.
View Quote

Now I've got to decide between a 16" and an 18" barrel. They both look awesome but I'm tempted by the 18. I've never shot a rifle gas ar before.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By StinkPotJoe:

Now I've got to decide between a 16" and an 18" barrel. They both look awesome but I'm tempted by the 18. I've never shot a rifle gas ar before.
View Quote

I run a 16.5 rifle length with Spikes tapered gas block and it is a sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

I run a 16.5 rifle length with Spikes tapered gas block and it is a sweet shooter.
View Quote

Was it custom spun or did you have an 18" cut to 16.5"? Curious about GP size.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

That would work with a FF RAS right?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#39]

You ass!!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:30:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#40]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

Was it custom spun or did you have an 18" cut to 16.5"? Curious about GP size.
View Quote

I had a 18" WOA SPR barrel chopped to 16.5". You do not need the barrel profiled for a collar as the collar is built into front of the gas block. I left the gas port alone which I measured at .108. It seemed a little under gassed even suppressed so I dropped down to JP silent capture spring lightest weight. It's extremely soft shooting. I kind of want to reroll it with a Douglas as my 15.1" Dougie was so damn good.

I use a KAC URX 3.1 (13.5") but a FF RAS would be fine just leave a slight gap at 12.x" long (your normal Mk12 Mod 1 rail to gas block gap).

Here's an on/off picture.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Well the deed is done and everything looks like it wasn't even touched. That puts me more at ease. I'll feel better when it's off and still looks good.

I'm looking for a KAC tri mount with the 300m built in, but slapped a RDS on a DD offset mount and it actually seems like it would be useful. Not on this build, but conceptually I'm not hating it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Here was another 15.1" configuration I had using a rifle length URX II.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:
Well the deed is done and everything looks like it wasn't even touched. That puts me more at ease. I'll feel better when it's off and still looks good.

https://i.postimg.cc/dQBz5vbW/IMG-20200520-153606.jpg

I'm looking for a KAC tri mount with the 300m built in, but slapped a RDS on a DD offset mount and it actually seems like it would be useful. Not on this build, but conceptually I'm not hating it.

https://i.postimg.cc/C1mB9w6S/IMG-20200521-133249.jpg
View Quote

Did you do it yourself?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:59:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#45]
Guys,

I need a sanity check.  Am I fucking retarded for spending almost $500 on a barrel for my MRE abortion?

Edit - Criterion SS blank w/ FSB taper pinned and profiled for aem5

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Guys,

I need a sanity check.  Am I fucking retarded for spending almost $500 on a barrel for my MRE abortion?

View Quote

Thats quite a bit for a barrel. But if it makes yiu happy thats what matters. Heck I spend 400 is on rails so there is that, 300 for bugs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

Thats quite a bit for a barrel. But if it makes yiu happy thats what matters. Heck I spend 400 is on rails so there is that, 300 for bugs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
Guys,

The alternative is a 14.5 socom, which is $360, then I can't run the aem5 and would have to use my turbo
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#48]

The alternative is a 14.5 socom, which is $360, then I can't run the aem5 and would have to use my turbo
View Quote

Dsarms makes good barrels.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Guys,

Edit - Criterion SS blank w/ FSB taper pinned and profiled for aem5

View Quote

I guess it depends on what you want the gun to do. Print awesome tiny groups or just be a blaster?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Here was another 15.1" configuration I had using a rifle length URX II.

https://i.imgur.com/TD8b7fc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kK8rOMa.jpg
View Quote

This was my favorite of your rigs.
Page / 180
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top