Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank You

I am currently working on a article for SWAT Magazine online
will feature more pictures of the guns from downrange
Subject will be... single optic carbines specifically red dots are a thing of the past!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great articles and thank you for your service.
Thank You

Subject will be... single optic carbines specifically red dots are a thing of the past!
Wait! I just bought an Eotech G33 magnifier for my AP PRO! Don’t tell me it’s obsolete!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Wait! I just bought an Eotech G33 magnifier for my AP PRO! Don’t tell me it’s obsolete!!
View Quote
So 2012
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell me about it, bro. I’m slow to adopt new tech and most of my shooting is 300 yards max, so I have been content with my set-up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Great articles, I follow the series..
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tell me about it, bro. I’m slow to adopt new tech and most of my shooting is 300 yards max, so I have been content with my set-up.
View Quote
Well that is all that really matters if it works for you.

For me Im all about tech...one reason years ago I was at a 3gun match shooting a 1x4 optic
1x6 scopes had just hit the scene. Ability aside, guys shooting 6 power scopes
were all able to out pace me at long range stages. Just faster picking up/hitting small targets at range.

So for me if it makes shooting in matches or combat easier I say go for it.
But also there is merit to the fact; if it works for you then stay with it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are running a red dot for close up, why not put more a more powerful scope on?  Like a 2-10 or similar?

BTW, good read, and thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are running a red dot for close up, why not put more a more powerful scope on?  Like a 2-10 or similar?

BTW, good read, and thanks for your service.
View Quote
I think, and I could be wrong, that the red dot secondary is for quick transitions when running at 6x (or 8x) for sudden close up action, but I would guess that they run at 1x when expecting all close up. At least that's what makes sense in my head. Faster to rotate to red dot and back than to adjust optic
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Great series of articles, really enjoyed seeing how guys are able to mod and optimize their weapons with non-standard, non-issue equipment now.  Guess 17+ years of continuous combat operations does result in some lessons learned; not only recognizing them, but adopting them as well.  QC in 88, and Devens from 88-92 - I could never understand why teams were issued A2s.  I was on staff at SFC and USASOC when M4s and SOPMOD became the standard, and was always envious of the guys that got to teams after I did.  Well done!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think, and I could be wrong, that the red dot secondary is for quick transitions when running at 6x (or 8x) for sudden close up action, but I would guess that they run at 1x when expecting all close up. At least that's what makes sense in my head. Faster to rotate to red dot and back than to adjust optic
View Quote
I ran on 6x entire time (in Part III, I also never needed to use scope illumination black BDC worked great)
The issue is; its not always up to you when you expect to shoot close or far
its up to the enemy also.
Having offset red dot allows best for both near and far with just flick of the gun
keeping both hands on rifle you are ready for both.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#10]
@Stukas87

Just finished Part 1

Any of the SOP warriors runningCAV COMP?

Give er a field test, the teams might like em.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I ran on 6x entire time (in Part III, I also never needed to use scope illumination black BDC worked great)
Having offset red dot allows best for both near and far with just flick of the gun
View Quote
This is why we run miniature red dot in 3 gun, Open Div. dating back to 2005-ish.  JPoint and Tasco were the rds of the time.

OP, did you leave the rds on all the time or just at the start of your patrol?

Thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is why we run miniature red dot in 3 gun, Open Div. dating back to 2005-ish.  JPoint and Tasco were the rds of the time.

OP, did you leave the rds on all the time or just at the start of your patrol?

Thank you for your service!
View Quote
MRDS only on outside the wire.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Stukas87

Just finished Part 1

Any of the SOP warriors runningCAV COMP?

Give er a field test, the teams might like em.
View Quote
The success of SF SOCOM suppressor has put to rest any notions of running any other muzzle device
I ran a FERFRANS Break a little in 2014 but really the SF 4 prong now War Comp is where its at.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The success of SF SOCOM suppressor has put to rest any notions of running any other muzzle device
I ran a FERFRANS Break a little in 2014 but really the SF 4 prong now War Comp is where its at.  
View Quote
Roger that!
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
That was similar to the question I had:

If you knew you were going into a building/close quarters, would you use the LPVO on 1x or the MRDS?

Great articles, I've been following them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you knew you were going into a building/close quarters, would you use the LPVO on 1x or the MRDS?

View Quote
Afghanistan stayed on 6 power
Military you must be ready for both internal and external threats
fighting your way onto target then back off.

Now If I went to Iraq where all fighting takes place in cities then maybe put LPVO on 1x power too.
Cant give a for sure answer until I was on the ground.
But optics and optic settings should not be based on mission say CQB but on threat's usual actions and methods
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Now If I went to Iraq where all fighting takes place in cities then maybe put LPVO on 1x power too.
But optics and optic settings should not be based on mission say CQB but on threat's usual actions and methods
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.  I wondered if the MRDS might enough of a speed advantage that it wouldn't use the LPVO on 1X even if you knew you wouldn't be making any long shots.

Again, great articles.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For me Im all about tech...one reason years ago I was at a 3gun match shooting a 1x4 optic
were all able to out pace me at long range stages. Just faster picking up/hitting small targets at range.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@stukas87

Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

I have a question for you, and please forgive me if you have already answered this. In regards to LPVO’s, is there is a certain reticle design you like? Do you ever make adjustments on the fly? Or is it pretty much just hold-over you use?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@stukas87

Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

I have a question for you, and please forgive me if you have already answered this. In regards to LPVO’s, is there is a certain reticle design you like? Do you ever make adjustments on the fly? Or is it pretty much just hold-over you use?
View Quote
Well I got the VCOG for the reticle. I like BDCs for 3gun, combat
MIL/MRAD type reticles yes more accurate but too slow. for a 5.56 rifle
Shooting on a flat range with known distance sure you can be fast with MIL scope
But combat half the challenge is estimating the range of threats running around.
Its easier to guess, set quick hold over with BDC and let bullets fly. Then correct off impacts.

I think the VCOG reticle could use some improvement now.
The design is 5 years old now. The center dot is too big on 6 power

fun facts....My Vortex 1x8 Strike Eagle has more forgiving eye relief than VCOG
But compared to a Vortex Razor VCOG closer to true 1x

But VCOG is indestructible, I took some pretty good falls on rocks and such on missions
banged the VCOG around pretty well (put small dent in focus ring) VCOG never lost zero.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info, Stuka. I’ll probably end up picking up an LPVO in the near future just to see what all the fuss is about, lol.

Side note: I used my current set-up at a CSAT course (Paul Howe), but, past 400 yds more magnification woulda been nice. The longer range shooting was done on my own time, not during the course, and it did highlight the need for more magnification.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Always enjoy, thanks Jeff!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thank You very kind.....
Now if only we can convince my Teenage kids to pay attention to me!
View Quote
Yea, right. My kids are grown already and i never cracked that code. Don't think i could do any better with yours.

And thanks for finally getting this info out in a "legit" manner. One of the main reasons i never spoke up much about the stuff i'd seen in afghan(2016) was because the guys really didn't like me bugging them with a camera in hand. So no pics and some cloners are anal as anal gets. Didn't want to deal with cloner drama.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yea, right. My kids are grown already and i never cracked that code. Don't think i could do any better with yours.

And thanks for finally getting this info out in a "legit" manner. One of the main reasons i never spoke up much about the stuff i'd seen in afghan(2016) was because the guys really didn't like me bugging them with a camera in hand. So no pics and some cloners are anal as anal gets. Didn't want to deal with cloner drama.
View Quote
I wish I had started documenting sooner what team guys were running
I remember back in 2012 for part I, when I asked fellow team guys to take photos of their guns.
Once I told them why, it was well received. Also Parts 1 thru 3 since I wrote on active duty
I did send it up thru the PAO channels to get approval... no issues.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wish I had started documenting sooner what team guys were running
I remember back in 2012 for part I, when I asked fellow team guys to take photos of their guns.
Once I told them why, it was well received. Also Parts 1 thru 3 since I wrote on active duty
I did send it up thru the PAO channels to get approval... no issues.  
View Quote
Most of my direct contact was big army (contract weapons inspector/armament technician) so what i did observe on the SOCOM side was mostly at flight terminals or when working aviation assets and the guys were tired as hell or working, so i really didn't want to bother them.

Some of the foreign teams up in mazar were pretty cool when talking gear, but didn't like pics so much. I enjoyed my time working with the mongolians although all their gear was on loan from the germans or us(the reason i was fixing their stuff).

I wanted to, but never was able to get up to kunduz.

Good times. I miss it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well I got the VCOG for the reticle. I like BDCs for 3gun, combat
MIL/MRAD type reticles yes more accurate but too slow. for a 5.56 rifle
Shooting on a flat range with known distance sure you can be fast with MIL scope
But combat half the challenge is estimating the range of threats running around.
Its easier to guess, set quick hold over with BDC and let bullets fly. Then correct off impacts.

I think the VCOG reticle could use some improvement now.
The design is 5 years old now. The center dot is too big on 6 power

fun facts....My Vortex 1x8 Strike Eagle has more forgiving eye relief than VCOG
But compared to a Vortex Razor VCOG closer to true 1x

But VCOG is indestructible, I took some pretty good falls on rocks and such on missions
banged the VCOG around pretty well (put small dent in focus ring) VCOG never lost zero.
View Quote
So have your guys found that the PST gen II is holding zero? I imagine they're getting pretty banged around also. Are they planning on using these on their next deployment? Any sort of feedback given, little quirks or whatever? (I have a PST gen II and a Razor and I'm just curious)

To me, the big thing about the Razor & PST gen II was how they looked and felt on 1x (besides the glass & warranty). Would you use a dedicated 6x optic if something really good existed?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I did not get any negative feedback from them..
Not even any issues with guys running the Strike Eagles.

If they were not holding zero they would stop using them.

The limiting factor with Strike Eagles is the illumination
If you use it at night the scope projects a red glow from the front
That's where one corner is cut to keep price down
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Which reticle do have in the VCOG? Horseshoe or crosshair? I have always wanted to pick one up, but quite a few people complain about the reticle size.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for responding, I've always enjoyed reading your insights into carbine set ups, philosophy behind they way they are set up at any given point, and technology driving changes.

So if you could use a MRDS along with a fixed 6x optic that was similar to a Viper PST but no variable mag, would you do it? I always thought the 1x features were a big selling point to the LPVO. Do you use the 6x and MRDS as a system, with the 1x of the LPVO being a backup to the MRDS?

Hope I'm not being confusing, I'm genuinely interested in the thoughts behind all of this.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Im just west of Raleigh
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Jeff, great series of articles, really practical info data points that are a good reminder that you don't need the most gucci gear to get the job done. I'd love to see more of this in the future.

I'm curious if you have any input on barrel profiles. Were you guys running the SOCOM profile, standard gov profile, or a mix of both, and if so can you comment on any practical accuracy differences? I'm considering a SOCOM profile but not sure if it's worth ~4oz.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Jeff, great series of articles, really practical info data points that are a good reminder that you don't need the most gucci gear to get the job done. I'd love to see more of this in the future.

I'm curious if you have any input on barrel profiles. Were you guys running the SOCOM profile, standard gov profile, or a mix of both, and if so can you comment on any practical accuracy differences? I'm considering a SOCOM profile but not sure if it's worth ~4oz.
View Quote
SF has been getting the SOCOM heavy barrels since 2003ish

The only time a SF guy might end up with standard M4 barrel is if
his barrel goes down and is replaced with normal one that just happens to be on hand.

But once they go back stateside guns get refit with what SOCOM says in the requirement.

Accuracy wise I have not seen much difference especially since it really depends on ammo.

I wrote this on my testing of M855A1...

M855A1 Accuracy Results
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

SF has been getting the SOCOM heavy barrels since 2003ish

The only time a SF guy might end up with standard M4 barrel is if
his barrel goes down and is replaced with normal one that just happens to be on hand.

But once they go back stateside guns get refit with what SOCOM says in the requirement.

Accuracy wise I have not seen much difference especially since it really depends on ammo.

I wrote this on my testing of M855A1...

M855A1 Accuracy Results
View Quote
Interesting, I thought someone 'in the know' had mentioned in one of the Block II threads that most of the FSP guns were running the SOCOM barrel, but the guns with the non FSP typically had the standard gov profile.

Thanks for the link on the M855A1, that was a great read. Based on Molon's testing and posts from others that have compared both it does seem that the SOCOM profile has a bit better accuracy, of course assuming you are using high enough quality of ammo to distinguish the difference.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#36]
The Non-FSP RIS II may indeed use a standard barrel... when we got issued them in 2015 I never used one,
I stuck with RISII FSP it was mid-deployment I did not feel the need to switch uppers and re-zero.
Il have to hit up old teammates see what they got.

Jeff G.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Great articles.
I enjoyed your writing on binary triggers. I do not understand people’s rabid hate against them. They are far from a gimmic and just as viable as a 2 round burst.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Jeff, for guys who opt to individually purchase a 1-4x scope such as the viper, what is the draw vs. the Elan 1/4x? I know you touched on the advantage of the extra magnification on the 6x scopes, but I'm curious what your and others' opinions are of the Elcan vs some of the 1-4 scopes you mentioned. I've never looked through an Elcan but I've read they have great glass.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#39]
The Elcan is the best 1x4 out there, great field of view and eye relief
I never seen anyone opt for another 1x4 over a Elcan
The draw is more powerful scopes over Elcans.
Hence SOCOM finally spending money on 1x6 and Sig wining it.

Speaking with someone who got to try all the scopes SOCOM was looking at, said there were 11
Sig came in 3rd as far as quality...but best in price.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
NF & Vortex 1 & 2?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Got it, for some reason I thought I remembered some of those scopes being 1-4x in your article. I read through it again and realized they were all 1-6x. So SOCOM will now be using the SIG 1-6 and the nightforce 1-8 ATCR right? Any insights on different applications for these scope? They seem very similar.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Got it, for some reason I thought I remembered some of those scopes being 1-4x in your article. I read through it again and realized they were all 1-6x. So SOCOM will now be using the SIG 1-6 and the nightforce 1-8 ATCR right? Any insights on different applications for these scope? They seem very similar.
View Quote
White side SOF as they are called  SF maybe Rangers will get Sig scope

Tier 1 elements will get Nightforce or anything else that's cooler
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
LPTA, Lowest Price, Technically Acceptable.  ;)
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#44]
What is the preferred method to mount an RMR in the offset 45 degree position?

I’ve seen the stand alone mounts by ADM and Trijicon vs. the mount by LaRue that is a Ring mounted on the scope.

Which one for ease of use?

Thanks for the article Jeff.  I really like your work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Stand alone mount

Ive tried in front of scope and behind it, I find behind scope (closer to shooters face)
Faster to pick up and aim.

If I did not already own two Predator offset mounts I buy one of these...

AMS mounts
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Stand alone mount

Ive tried in front of scope and behind it, I find behind scope (closer to shooters face)
Faster to pick up and aim.

If I did not already own two Predator offset mounts I buy one of these...

AMS mounts
View Quote
This looks like a great solution.  I like the protective wings on the mount.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Outstanding article and I'll be sure to read parts 1-3 next.  You mentioned 3 gun, are you using your 14.5 for that as well?

@Stukas87
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great articles and thank you for your service.
Thank You

Its your funeral!!!

Just kidding. I really like my eotech/G33 combo, but I use what works for me. I don't base all my decisions on what people overseas use, as their situation is a lot different than what mine would be should I need to employ my rifle CONUS.

I also have a vortex Razor HD Gen 2, but if I had to grab 1 rifle it would be my 10.5" with EXPS-3 and G33.

I recently purchased a TA44 with ACSS. I really want to see how it does for that 300 meters and in range. Maybe further. We will see.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Outstanding article and I'll be sure to read parts 1-3 next.  You mentioned 3 gun, are you using your 14.5 for that as well?

@Stukas87
View Quote
No for 3gun or any match I run a 16in. most of the time.
But 14.5 works just fine, that is all I used to run.
I prefer 14.5 for when I do teach classes (once in awhile) and just  shooting on the flat rage.
If the big one ever hit and the Mad Max movies became reality
Id grab a 14.5 over 16 and the 11.5s I have.
Despite claims of military settled on14.5 originally to fit bayonet
I think 14.5 great balance of length for velocity and maneuverability.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I bought the Strike Eagle 1-6x24 (AR-BDC reticle (MOA) years ago for what I thought was a lot at the time. It's been on my 16" DD v11LW since then and always a solid performer. I'm pretty easy on it but the warranty is hard to beat. I've got a 14.5" URG-I build in the works and plan to buy the NF ATACR 1-8 for it. For 300 yards and out I can see how the extra 2x would be nice. With my old eyes I find myself in the 3-4 range a lot at 100 yards. I'm going to try a RDS at 45 and see how it works for me. I've always thought it was silly to buy nice BUIS for a rifle with an optic because I almost never use them and I'm not a huge fan of co-witness. Think I'll skip them on future builds.

Thanks for the insight and the article.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top