User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...So yes, while not absolutely necessary, I greatly prefer to have a forward assist.
View Quote
It is about as "absolutely necessary" as having chrome lining in the insider of the bolt carrier and gas key.  Does the average net / range commando need it?  No.  Do you want it there for serious use?  Absolutely!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The landowner where I hunt asks that we not chamber our rifles until we’re on our stand. I don’t agree with his reasoning, but that’s his rule and I agreed to it.

I have a large frame AR with a dual ejector LMT bolt. That one is a PAIN to chamber quietly. You don’t just “stick your finger in the ejection port and press on the carrier.”  So yes, while not absolutely necessary, I greatly prefer to have a forward assist.
View Quote
What is his reasoning?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yea, my bad.

I cant keep up on every thread across the spectrum, having a marriage, kids, a job and all of the associated crap with that stuff.

I should probably just say F-it, leave my family, quit my job (too young to retire), and just surf ARFCOM on McDonalds free Wi-Fi then...

EDIT: which is worse?  A dupe'er, or a deadbeat foodstamp snowflake...

Things that make you go, "hmmmmmm"

ArsenioHall.jpg
View Quote
Or do avoid the drama do a search.  I'm guessing from your answer you like the drama.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Because it has little to no practical use outside of a duty environment? And no, what you just described is not a practical use. If you're rechambering ANY round over and over, that is a no-no. Unless its your only AR and you don't have a dedicated HD blaster, there's no reason for you to not just keep it loaded - mag in, round in chamber, safety on. I have AR's ready to go in every room in my house. But then again, i have lots of AR's.

The whole FA debate has been discussed ad nauseum. I don't feel too strongly one way or another. Its like BUIS - If i have them, i'll use them, but for what I do - multigun and the occasional night blasting at little piggies, it is a moot factor. I have never had issues in live fire with a bolt failing to fully seat... but if you have one you're not sacrificing anything besides a little weight - there has been the occasional fool who has depressed his forward assist on a wall or barricade while firing, exploding his upper, but the solution is.... don't do that?

The fact is, some people have a significant disconnect between what makes a rifle practical for civilian use versus suitability in combat. I don't need all those little redundancies that add ounces and pounds to my gun. I have nothing against slick-sided uppers. Then again, I have nothing against uppers with forward assists.

Earlier this year I ordered a stripped slick-side Aero upper for a new build. They accidentally sent me one with a forward assist... They offered to send the correct one but to me it wasn't worth the expense of shipping that thing back to them. I just don't understand why some people care so much. Just my two cents
View Quote
I love this thread whenever it pops up  

I am not going to say you are wrong with the specifics, but there is a range of what constitutes civilian use.

Even in the lower 48, the last couple of times I went out to practice or zero I encountered large predators.   On a few prior occasions I had weather induced stupid stuff going on and very much regretted not having a forward assist.

Between those two things, I don't plan on building another upper without one.   I'd honestly take one over BUIS as long as I'm not expecting to slog through snow.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is his reasoning?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The landowner where I hunt asks that we not chamber our rifles until we’re on our stand. I don’t agree with his reasoning, but that’s his rule and I agreed to it.

I have a large frame AR with a dual ejector LMT bolt. That one is a PAIN to chamber quietly. You don’t just “stick your finger in the ejection port and press on the carrier.”  So yes, while not absolutely necessary, I greatly prefer to have a forward assist.
What is his reasoning?
He’s afraid someone will walk up on a big buck, shoot at it, and hit another hunter. The land is big enough and we communicate well enough to make the chances of that very remote, but it’s his land.  He’s an active gentleman in his upper 80’s, still working the land that has been in his family for generations. He has his own ways. We don’t hunt on Sundays either, because “the deer need a day off, too.”
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
No one needs forward assist, ever.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
No one needs a 2 stroke. But we both enjoy those.

Different strokes for different folks. @Combat_Diver has needed his before.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You obviously didn't read my most convincing argument on the first page.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair I can barely remember yesterday, let alone what somebody posted 2 days ago.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#10]
FA do have their uses but I don't use it to drive a bad round it.  Most of the time it is to ensure the bolt is "Quietly" seated as used for hunting game and the most dangerous two legged varmin.  Yes, you can close the bolt using the recess if your not wearing thin gloves.  Try winter warfare or dive gloves.  When coming out from underwater, you need to drain the water out of the barrel.  To do that pull bolt back (round in chamber) to break the seal so water will drain.  Tap the FA to seat bolt quietly as your in the bad guys backyard (remember dive gloves on as you still have swim gear on).  If you don't like it get either a slick side or remove and insert a foam ear plug.  I hope you never do need to use one when SHTF as it isn't fun.  But for those that sneak around in harms way, glad mine is there.

CD
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FA do have their uses but I don't use it to drive a bad round it.  Most of the time it is to ensure the bolt is "Quietly" seated as used for hunting game and the most dangerous two legged varmin.  Yes, you can close the bolt using the recess if your not wearing thin gloves.  Try winter warfare or dive gloves.  When coming out from underwater, you need to drain the water out of the barrel.  To do that pull bolt back (round in chamber) to break the seal so water will drain.  Tap the FA to seat bolt quietly as your in the bad guys backyard (remember dive gloves on as you still have swim gear on).  If you don't like it get either a slick side or remove and insert a foam ear plug.  I hope you never do need to use one when SHTF as it isn't fun.  But for those that sneak around in harms way, glad mine is there.

CD
View Quote
End of Discussion
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I guess if you like touching things that are hot as fuck
View Quote
Bolt carrier gets hot? You sure?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
End of Discussion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD
End of Discussion
LOL
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I shoot wolf ammo with suppressors. It only takes about 200 rounds to really gum things up. I'm glad for chrome lining in the bolt and the forward assist. While I could just push on the bolt carrier like Stoner intended, I'd prefer to not stain my thumb with a disgusting mix of Russian powder fouling and slip 2000.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can you imagine if he'd just posted "forward assist sucks and mark larue is the antichrist"?

half the site would be lost in the carnage.  
View Quote
Hmmmm... That may be a good friday morning GD post.

Just to see what happens, lol
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Glad you seemed to get something out of that post. I don't worry about primer indentations, but I don't chamber the same round repeatedly either - in AR's or any blaster for that matter. As a side note, if you have a question and reason to think it has been answered (like this topic, which has been beaten deep into the Earth's crust time and time again), enter this into your Google search bar "site:www.ar15.com >insert topic<" and sumshit will come up. Hope this helps
View Quote
Yea... prolly should have searched.  I really didnt realize that this topic was such a highly debated item.

But.  Why wouldnt it be!  lol!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BS. if you’re that busy to not know all the threads than how did you even know there was hate in the first place?

whats the point in your question? you all ready have a difinitve opinion.

this thread is crap.
View Quote
Thanks for your opinion!

Please, whatever monitoring equipment you have installed on me or in my AOR, please remove it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If my bolt isn't closing the very last thing I want to do is try to force it closed.  That's how things get very badly stuck.
View Quote
Unless your on a two way range.  Then youll do ANYTHING to get that gun back up and running, regardless if it goes bang, boom or click afterwards.

but i digress...
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ah, forward assist... The older I get, the lower my balls seem to hang. Is this normal?
View Quote
Well if you keep tuggin on them like that, yea!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well done sir.  Tgis board has become much less friendly over the years.  Well played.....
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote
Nice post brother, thank you!

And thank you for doing what you do!  Be safe, God speed!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is about as "absolutely necessary" as having chrome lining in the insider of the bolt carrier and gas key.  Does the average net / range commando need it?  No.  Do you want it there for serious use?  Absolutely!
View Quote
This. Have and not need always beats need and not have.

Internet commando or not.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Stupid statement.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote
I used mine the last time I had to drain the barrel. I mean if you arent submerging your rifle in the drink when you go shoot why are you even at the range?

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
End of Discussion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD
End of Discussion
Agree. We were taught the forward assist is for quiet chambering after inserts and clearing water from barrel by cracking the seal as described above. It works as described very well in SE Asia during the tours I was there.

The instructors were very adamant about not jamming a round into the chamber, only gentle tap push in above situations.

Trying to jam your finger in that slot doesn't work well if it's lubed well. Try it under stress and in the dark sometime.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Stupid statement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid statement.
You obviously didn't read first page post
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well if you keep tuggin on them like that, yea!
View Quote
Its about the only PT I do anymore. Its a push/pull thing... Push on the FA, pull on the nuts. Repeat...
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid statement.
I read thru all of it but somehow missed your first one... Sorry.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]
In some hunting situations or when the dog alarm starts growling in the middle of the night I like the option of quietly chambering a round. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Personally I wouldn't get a AR without a forward assist. I never used the forward assist myself. However, on bolt designs like that of the M1A or M1 Garand where the op rod/charging handle acts as a forward assist, I have used it in cases where the ammo got really dirty and I had tap on the charging handle to close the bolt.

As far as historically, from what I recall the original AR design did not have a forward assist. The Air Force was okay with it, but the Army was not. Apparently they were still old school probably recalling the old M1 design where they had to hit it to close the bolt. They probably figure if such a case happened with the AR, there was no way to close the bolt without having to rack it again. Since ARs were new then, and most magazine designs at the time were locked into place, I don't think they really thought of the tap, rack, bang method of correcting stoppages. That sort of came into play much later when people began to understand how ARs failed and began teaching certain methods to fix it. In my opinion, such method is dangerous for the regular range users.

From what I seen at the range and just general people using AR is that for some reason a novice would rack the slide, tap the forward assist like crazy, then begin shooting wildly like a mad ape. So in a way, I think forward assists just look like something that needs to be pushed by certain people. Some folks use it as a press check but I think that is silly. The best way to check for a round in the chamber is to just take the mag out and see if took one by knowing how many you loaded and if it is even or odd side.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Personally I wouldn't get a AR without a forward assist. I never used the forward assist myself. However, on bolt designs like that of the M1A or M1 Garand where the op rod/charging handle acts as a forward assist, I have used it in cases where the ammo got really dirty and I had tap on the charging handle to close the bolt.

As far as historically, from what I recall the original AR design did not have a forward assist. The Air Force was okay with it, but the Army was not. Apparently they were still old school probably recalling the old M1 design where they had to hit it to close the bolt. They probably figure if such a case happened with the AR, there was no way to close the bolt without having to rack it again. Since ARs were new then, and most magazine designs at the time were locked into place, I don't think they really thought of the tap, rack, bang method of correcting stoppages. That sort of came into play much later when people began to understand how ARs failed and began teaching certain methods to fix it. In my opinion, such method is dangerous for the regular range users.

From what I seen at the range and just general people using AR is that for some reason a novice would rack the slide, tap the forward assist like crazy, then begin shooting wildly like a mad ape. So in a way, I think forward assists just look like something that needs to be pushed by certain people. Some folks use it as a press check but I think that is silly. The best way to check for a round in the chamber is to just take the mag out and see if took one by knowing how many you loaded and if it is even or odd side.
View Quote
Your method of press checking my work for you IF you only have one type of follower.  Trying having numerous mags with half the follower on the right and others on the left ie USGI green/brown followers.

CD
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Your method of press checking my work for you IF you only have one type of follower.  Trying having numerous mags with half the follower on the right and others on the left ie USGI green/brown followers.

CD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD
I have to concur here. Assuming your chamber is clear off of thinking you know how many rounds were in the mag is reckless and lazy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#34]
All I have to say is

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:59:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I still remember the shell deflector from that upper. Looked friggin' sweet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Link to source?

Also put me in the id rather not have it but I don’t go cutting it off category.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Doing something like this isn't worth doing if your trying to save weight really but does make it different than the rest!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I've never seen a F/A do anything but make a problem worse, and as a lefty its in the way...so I've deleted them completely from most of my builds.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Doing something like this isn't worth doing if your trying to save weight really but does make it different than the rest!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/474614/20170528_213344-1965x3492_jpg-771756.JPG
View Quote
I dig the shit out of the looks of that.

Now I kiiiiiiiinda wanna spend the 40 bucks on an Anderson no-FA upper and fuck around with it.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I have zero need for them. Just built an upper with one and plugged it.

I am sure there are those, like CD, who do need it. If I were going to a warzone, I would want one. Why not?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The recess in the carrier for the ejection port cover can easily be pushed with your finger.
View Quote
Bingo, I don't need 2 forward assists on the gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#42]
didn't see this referenced in this thread, so herewith:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-For-those-of-you-who-worship-at-the-altar-of-the-Forward-Assist-/118-731287/?page=1
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The recess in the carrier for the ejection port cover can easily be pushed with your finger.
People that say 'bingo' are generally annoying people.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yea, my bad.

I cant keep up on every thread across the spectrum, having a marriage, kids, a job and all of the associated crap with that stuff.

I should probably just say F-it, leave my family, quit my job (too young to retire), and just surf ARFCOM on McDonalds free Wi-Fi then...

EDIT: which is worse?  A dupe'er, or a deadbeat foodstamp snowflake...

Things that make you go, "hmmmmmm"

ArsenioHall.jpg
View Quote
To be fair I went months and even a year between post on here and everything is regurgitated on here. A noob reading this forum for just a couple of months will go from asking the most basic questions to being an expert on propper gas port sizes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top