Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 87
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

I didn’t realize that they were bringing so much, I think I’m going to buy a gen 2 and put my gen one back in the box.
View Quote

Yeah it's good to know at least this stuff doesn't go to zero value, a lot of gun related purchases which I've done on a whim and thought I was basically burning cash have turned out to be good financial decisions unexpectedly.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, it's worth whatever the market will bear. I haggled the price down a bit after the listing sat for a few days. A couple months prior a black gen 2 sold for around $425 from what I recall. When I was shopping for my black gen 1, I saw ODG rails (don't remember which gen) on gunbroker for around $600 and up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:37:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:54:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#4]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
Nvm
View Quote

I finally just broke down and bought a CQB Gen 6. Yeah it’s not the actual HRT stock but it appears it’s as close as I’ll get.

Also it seems like when I buy a substitute or  pay outrageously for something I find the real deal soon thereafter which I’d really welcome now.

Kinda wish I wouldn’t have sold my Romeo 4M and literally thrown the silly Sig mount in the trash.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:

I finally just broke down and bought a CQB Gen 6. Yeah it's not the actual HRT stock but it appears it's as close as I'll get.

Also it seems like when I buy a substitute or  pay outrageously for something I find the real deal soon thereafter which I'd really welcome now.

Kinda wish I wouldn't have sold my Romeo 4M and literally thrown the silly Sig mount in the trash.
View Quote
Nice

If you find an extra let me know! Really digging the look
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:06:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: elucidate] [#7]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

While it is "a" method, it is hardly "the current" method.

Most shooters from the bottom to the mid tier to the best assaulters in the world are pushing their LAMs as far forward as possible.

The trend seems to be that some individuals in units who aren't shooting under NODs much prefer the LAM rearward for the ergos for day time shooting.
View Quote
Agreed. I think 'current' depends on whose world.

FBI of course it's very commonplace because they are mostly day users, using the red laser to point at things.

Honestly, with the NGAL and Wilcox being so light and the profile being smaller, I think we'll see a trend towards front mounting across the board again. I'm still astounded the NGAL won the contracts over the MAWL. That is THE unit with perfect ergos as well as being front mounted.

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Get ‘em.

Correct barrels
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:23:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dms888] [#9]
Get ‘em.

Correct barrels
View Quote

Is this not the barrel with the oversized gas port (.078)?  Does anybody provide a service to install the BRT insert in the Giessele low profile gas block?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:29:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#10]
Originally Posted By dms888:

Is this not the barrel with the oversized gas port (.078)?  Does anybody provide a service to install the BRT insert in the Giessele low profile gas block?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Get ‘em.

Correct barrels

I honestly don’t know, but I planned to use a BRT insert. I went to their site and all inserts appear to be OOS.

If I manage to snag one I plan to contact John Thomas to see if he’ll do it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Who is John Thomas and what does he do?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:33:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#12]
Who is John Thomas and what does he do?
View Quote

John is a machinist/gunsmith who runs Retro Arms Works. He does all sorts of work — not just retro stuff. I’ve used him for quite a bit of work over the years. He does excellent work at fair prices and is lightning fast.

I’d gotten a BRT insert for a 300Blk barrel I am using in my OD Fed gun and sent it to John after looking at it and deciding I didn’t wanna mess it up.

John Thomas @ Retro Arms Works
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

BRT did the install on mine. That being said, I don't know if I would deal with them again. I posted about it before in here, but let's just say their customer service was less than stellar.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 3:56:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#14]
Gray build in motion. Still need to Form 1 the lower below:

Attachment Attached File

Not sure if I’m gonna stick w/ the titanium parts. I’d done this lower to be kinda Gucci-ish after doing clones for so long. Might be a bit over the top and gaudy for the gray fed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#15]

John is a machinist/gunsmith who runs Retro Arms Works. He does all sorts of work — not just retro stuff. I’ve used him for quite a bit of work over the years. He does excellent work at fair prices and is lightning fast.

I’d gotten a BRT insert for a 300Blk barrel I am using in my OD Fed gun and sent it to John after looking at it and deciding I didn’t wanna mess it up.

John Thomas @ Retro Arms Works
View Quote

I had JT shave and repark my FSB, add the BRT insert, and assemble the rest of my FBI upper.  He did great!
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#16]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123535/BD98FDF7-5A7D-4D26-B272-344EDC77132D_jpe-1888911.JPG

Not sure if I'm gonna stick w/ the titanium parts. I'd done this lower to be kinda Gucci-ish after doing clones for so long. Might be a bit over the top and gaudy for the gray fed.
View Quote
Nice!

On a side note I contacted Maxim Defense about the HRT stock, there reply:

No ETA.  Not sure if we are bringing it back for retail sale.
Thank you,

Brett Peterson
Maxim Defense

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice!

Thank you,

Brett Peterson
Maxim Defense

View Quote

They’re like “we’ve gotten 2 requests for HRTs in the past week. WTF?”  Just need a ton of us from this thread to add on.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#18]

They're like "we've gotten 2 requests for HRTs in the past week. WTF?"  Just need a ton of us from this thread to add on.
View Quote
Yup!

COME ON PEOPLE, CONTACT MAXIM DEFENSE AND SPAM THEM UNTIL THEY MAKE THE STOCK AGAIN!!

Maxim Defense Contact page
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#19]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123535/BD98FDF7-5A7D-4D26-B272-344EDC77132D_jpe-1888911.JPG

Not sure if I’m gonna stick w/ the titanium parts. I’d done this lower to be kinda Gucci-ish after doing clones for so long. Might be a bit over the top and gaudy for the gray fed.
View Quote

Dat titanium got to go!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:55:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#20]
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:

Dat titanium got to go!
View Quote

Ignore the silver trigger guard. It’ll be Cerakote-d black.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Ignore the silver trigger guard. It’ll be Cerakote-d black.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123535/32A611F1-CBA5-4756-AC65-F3A96E681265_jpe-1889899.JPG
View Quote

Much better!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#22]
On a DDC HRT build, what color of Giessele CH?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice!

Thank you,

Brett Peterson
Maxim Defense

View Quote

I had messaged them 3/25 after I posted in here too. They told me they're doing a redesign to be released in the future, but no ETA.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:58:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Emailed them yesterday no eta.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#25]
On a DDC HRT build, what color of Giessele CH?
View Quote

Black Gov model
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By doyouquaxu:

I had messaged them 3/25 after I posted in here too. They told me they're doing a redesign to be released in the future, but no ETA.
View Quote

Originally Posted By Sleepym4:
Emailed them yesterday no eta.
View Quote
Nice keep it up guys
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By doyouquaxu:

View Quote

Ugh, I don’t want a redesign. I want the HRT stock.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#28]
If I was going for a SWAT build would this barrel be correct?

https://www.apexgunparts.com/colt-ar-barrel-11.5inch-401065-npf-new.html
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:17:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#29]
If I was going for a SWAT build would this barrel be correct?

https://www.apexgunparts.com/colt-ar-barrel-11.5inch-401065-npf-new.html
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Yes
View Quote
Isnt that the one I link by mistake
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:24:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#31]
View All Quotes

Yes

For some reason it looked like an M4 profile to me when I first looked at it, but I clicked it again and realized it was the right one.

I didn’t see the one you linked before.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Ugh, I don’t want a redesign. I want the HRT stock.
View Quote

Yeah same. I may break down and get the regular stock, and then purchase an HRT one when/if it ever comes back. My green rail build is more "inspired by" than a true clone anyways so the wrong stock on a grey rail won't bug me too much
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I emailed Maxim Defense about the HRT stock and they responded with the following:

We are currently focusing on our CQB GEN 6/GEN 7 Stocks. We will have the HRT available again in the future.
View Quote

Didn't say when, but at least that's progress.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:51:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#34]
Originally Posted By AZgunner:
I emailed Maxim Defense about the HRT stock and they responded with the following:

View Quote

Awesome that is better than “undecided at this time.”

I really do like the CQB Gen 6 I have. It’s pretty solid and the cheek weld isn’t terrible. Hopefully I can buy an HRT stock piece in the future and swap it out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I received my commando barrel from Apex today, I don't have any way of measuring the gas port, but otherwise everything looks good.

It's undrilled if anyone was wondering. Now to wait on BRT.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I received my commando barrel from Apex today, I don't have any way of measuring the gas port, but otherwise everything looks good.

View Quote

You go with the Gas tube or the insert? If doing the insert, are you having them install it?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:21:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#38]

View Quote
What does he mean by undrilled? Is he talking about the gas port?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I'd bet he means for a gas block pin or FSP tapered pins. That means Apex advertised properly that these are stripped barrels.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

I'd bet he means for a gas block pin or FSP tapered pins. That means Apex advertised properly that these are stripped barrels.
View Quote
Pardon my arrogance, but what is that?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Pardon my arrogance, but what is that?
View Quote

When you buy a medium profile Colt 11.5 "fbi" thicker barrel it comes with a front sight post. FSP's from the factory are drilled with taper pins to secure the front sight to the barrel. When you remove it you have exposed metal that isn't covered by a low profile gas block.

The 11.5 barrels from Apex are considered "stripped" barrels from Colt. They have never had a gas block installed, and if using a G gas block, restricted or otherwise, you should "drill" it to do a "bombproof" install using G's nomenclature for the pin.

Example, not sure if it's a colt barrel:

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:19:45 AM EDT
[#42]

When you buy a medium profile Colt 11.5 "fbi" thicker barrel it comes with a front sight post. FSP's from the factory are drilled with taper pins to secure the front sight to the barrel. When you remove it you have exposed metal that isn't covered by a low profile gas block.

The 11.5 barrels from Apex are considered "stripped" barrels from Colt. They have never had a gas block installed, and if using a G gas block, restricted or otherwise, you should "drill" it to do a "bombproof" install using G's nomenclature for the pin.

Example, not sure if it's a colt barrel:

https://i.imgur.com/6rkN01N.jpg

View Quote
Ok I ordered one of those barrels from Apex for a clone build, what Gas block is the go to for a clone build? Giessele?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Ok I ordered one of those barrels from Apex for a clone build, what Gas block is the go to for a clone build? Giessele?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#44]
So just a Giessele super gas block?

Is having the BRT insert nessecary?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:39:43 AM EDT
[#45]
So just a Giessele super gas block?

Is having the BRT insert nessecary?
View Quote

A 100% correct gas block is a .067 restricted G super gas block. Only a handful are in circulation and likely all sitting on builds. The colt barrel you bought is likely a .070 port, it will run fine with a normal G block.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:49:31 AM EDT
[#46]

A 100% correct gas block is a .067 restricted G super gas block. Only a handful are in circulation and likely all sitting on builds. The colt barrel you bought is likely a .070 port, it will run fine with a normal G block.
View Quote

From what I was told, the stripped Colt 6933 barrels are grossly overgassed. The consensus seems to be that they're significantly larger than .070. I used a BRT insert on my Geissele SGB to get the port size down to about .069, which is in line with what the FBI guns are running.

That being said, BRT was not easy to work with, had poor customer service, and I would not use them again.

If I did a second build, I would probably just run the stock Colt 6933 barrel with an H3 buffer and a Sprinco Blue and call it a day. The increased performance offered by BRT doesn't offset their garbage customer service.

Sorry if I seem to harp on the BRT issue in this thread, but I had an extremely negative experience with them. They offered no explanation, apology, or justification. They offer a quality product, but I don't think I would ever do business with them again.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#47]

You go with the Gas tube or the insert? If doing the insert, are you having them install it?
View All Quotes

The plan is to go with the insert, but if they don’t come back in stock in the next few months I’ll probably skip it TBH.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Correct, no FSB holes, I should’ve been more clear.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#49]

From what I was told, the stripped Colt 6933 barrels are grossly overgassed. The consensus seems to be that they're significantly larger than .070. I used a BRT insert on my Geissele SGB to get the port size down to about .069, which is in line with what the FBI guns are running.

That being said, BRT was not easy to work with, had poor customer service, and I would not use them again.

If I did a second build, I would probably just run the stock Colt 6933 barrel with an H3 buffer and a Sprinco Blue and call it a day. The increased performance offered by BRT doesn't offset their garbage customer service.

Sorry if I seem to harp on the BRT issue in this thread, but I had an extremely negative experience with them. They offered no explanation, apology, or justification. They offer a quality product, but I don't think I would ever do business with them again.

View Quote

I have measured (using pin gauges checked with a calibrated mic) two 6933 barrel gas ports.  One was a FSB barrel - I removed the FSB and used it on my ODG MK4 build - and one was a stripped barrel that I got from Apex the first time they got them in.

Both gas ports measured .074".
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Muzap:

I have measured (using pin gauges checked with a calibrated mic) two 6933 barrel gas ports.  One was a FSB barrel - I removed the FSB and used it on my ODG MK4 build - and one was a stripped barrel that I got from Apex the first time they got them in.

Both gas ports measured .074".
View Quote
So a normal Geissele Block would be ok by itself?
Page / 87
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top