Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 87
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:39:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:

Hey Dyzastr you can't be in here
It's the 9 inch rail I believe. Go look at my post on the previous page (69) with a pic of one
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:
I've been interested in doing an older clone with the Troy rail, 11.5" colt barrel...etc. I was curious if this was the correct older optic combo they used. It's a 552 on the RRA riser that brings the optic to lower 1/3. Would this optic have been seen on Troy rail variation? And what size rail? 10" fde Troy alpha?https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/5ACDA7D4-89C7-4C0A-8262-2EA09E0CFC9E_jpe-1851450.JPG

Hey Dyzastr you can't be in here
It's the 9 inch rail I believe. Go look at my post on the previous page (69) with a pic of one
I'm branching out...

i think the clone in the ad you posted was off in his rail length choice. Based on these pics, I'd have to say it is the 10" rail. I also vaguely remember that being the magic number from years back when I had the itch and didn't scratch it. Not my pic, took it from into page... too long to be 9", too short to be 11".
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm branching out...

i think the clone in the ad you posted was off in his rail length choice. Based on these pics, I'd have to say it is the 10" rail. I also vaguely remember that being the magic number from years back when I had the itch and didn't scratch it. Not my pic, took it from into page... too long to be 9", too short to be 11".
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/52599B35-1F6D-4F81-B541-B388BE9F2F90_jpe-1852598.JPG
View Quote

So it’s the 11 inch cut down to 10
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:43:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#3]

So it's the 11 inch cut down to 10
View All Quotes
I'm branching out...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/52599B35-1F6D-4F81-B541-B388BE9F2F90_jpe-1852598.JPG

So it's the 11 inch cut down to 10
Lol. It must be 11". I think the muzzle device in the pics are throwing me off. Usually an 11" rail will end at the shoulder before the threads on an 11.5" barrel. I think the muzzle device is making me think the barrel looks longer than it really is.

Edit- I also saw in the begging of the thread someone post that they had lmt rears with the eotech 552. They were really using RRA dominators as rear sights and risers to bring the eo up to lower 1/3. From a distance they look like lmt’s but they were really rock river dominators. I’m pretty sure they were the first gen that had spacing specifically for the eo. The newer one has a full picatinny. I had one of each but regrettably sold the first gen because I wanted more choice on where the optic was mounted. On the gen 1’s, the eo had to be all the way back to the sight to mount properly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thinking of getting back into this build & picked up a barrel, upper, & etc.
Think I want to go the DDC route this time.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Just bought it. Has there been a determination made as to which part of the FBI uses black? I read that it was HRT.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By l1ving:
Just bought it. Has there been a determination made as to which part of the FBI uses black? I read that it was HRT.
View Quote

Black is regular agent rifles, HRT is DDC, and regional SWAT is green. I'm currently working on a black build as well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AZgunner:

Black is regular agent rifles, HRT is DDC, and regional SWAT is green. I'm currently working on a black build as well.
View Quote

And gray is the Vehicle Teams or whatever it’s called?
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:

View All Quotes

Yep, exactly. And it seems the grey rifles have that weird PDW stock, can't recall the brand off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By l1ving:
View Quote

Check out the bottom of the original post on Page 1 where I’m quoted. It breaks down the colors and features of each variant.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Are the charging handles, grips, and stocks FDE for the HRT rifles? I've got the DDC federal rail but couldn't tell from the photos if the rest of the furniture is FDE.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:14:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ConanTheCimmerian] [#12]
Originally Posted By ResponsibleSecond:

Are the charging handles, grips, and stocks FDE for the HRT rifles? I've got the DDC federal rail but couldn't tell from the photos if the rest of the furniture is FDE.
View All Quotes

Going purely off photos I've seen, the stocks on the HRT rifles appear to be FDE. Charging handles appear to be black, same with grips most of the time. Though the grips seem to have the most variation, so I wouldn't be shocked if an HRT agent had an FDE grip of his choice.

I love the DDC and ODG rails, but my agency only allows black. Since mine will also be my work gun, going for an Agent clone works best for me. I'm pretty close to moving forward with my build. My Geissele SGB is on the way back from BRT and I just need to Form 1 my Colt lower.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Going purely off photos I've seen, the stocks on the HRT rifles appear to be FDE. Charging handles appear to be black, same with grips most of the time. Though the grips seem to have the most variation, so I wouldn't be shocked if an HRT agent had an FDE grip of his choice.

I love the DDC and ODG rails, but my agency only allows black. Since mine will also be my work gun, going for an Agent clone works best for me. I'm pretty close to moving forward with my build. My Geissele SGB is on the way back from BRT and I just need to Form 1 my Colt lower.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. It is hard to tell from the limited photos of the HRT guys. I saw g makes the federal charging handles in ddc so I wanted to be sure what to lookout for. I will look at picking up a CTR in FDE then to complete my RRA lower and leave the a2 black grip for now as well as try to score a federal ch in black.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Thanks for the info. It is hard to tell from the limited photos of the HRT guys. I saw g makes the federal charging handles in ddc so I wanted to be sure what to lookout for. I will look at picking up a CTR in FDE then to complete my RRA lower and leave the a2 black grip for now as well as try to score a federal ch in black.
View All Quotes

All of the issued Government Charging Handles are black AFAIK, Geissele just offers other colors on the commercial market.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is mine, finished.

It is a clone of an issued rifle. The differences real vs this are:

Real one is ex-crane full-auto.
Real one has the older Spur mount with an H1, I will move mine over to Spur when I find one, but will retain the T2 because NODS.
Real one has Geissele SSF trigger

Setup is

Colt rollmarked M4 lower
Geissle SSA
All colt parts (brownells sourced)
RRA Grip, this is the one made for RRA by hogue, they were often moved over from the agents prior RRA guns
Colt buffer tube, Magpul CTR
Geissele aluminum trigger guard
Magpul QD endplate

Colt Upper
Geissele Fed rail
Colt factory 11.5" commando barrel
Geissele gas block with 0.70 port
Colt BCG
Geissele Gov charging handle

Daniel Defense mount with spacer
Troy Sights
Surefire dual switch
PEQ15 high power
FAB defense grip
Thenar attachment
VTAC Sling
Arisaka Surefire mount
Surefire Light
Magpul MLOK panels

As stated, this is a clone of a real rifle so some of the exact set-up is to exactly mimic this rifle, as opposed to being a generic copy of a generic rifle.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Fucking sweet, mines gonna be very close to this. Mainly waiting for a gov charging handle to pop somewhere before grabbing the last few non-exclusive parts I need.

Never heard of this thenar device thing, sounds interesting, you say it was on a real FBI regional team rifle?

Great job
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:41:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urushiol] [#17]
The OG for reference

Originally Posted By elucidate:
Well this thread is WAY off track. Let's get it back.

This is a 100% real rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/TSIjB9I.jpg

Some key points:

The HRT mount is often used within Regional as well as HRT, it all depends on if said regional guys were involved in the early testing of the new rail and accessories solution, if so they tend to keep the stuff vs moving over the the DD mount. The DD mount is definitely more common though.

Commando barrels are 'the' barrel that is correct for regional SWAT. Some are converted 14.5s that are chopped, although those are now rare. More common are regular 11.5" commando barrels. The newest are Colt CAGE code marked barrels, you will see these where people have had barrels replaced. Not all barrels are Colt, although most are.

There are a good number of the RRA marked Hogue grips out there as people moved them over from their previous RRA lowers.

Colt lowers come from multiple sources, including Crane, so some are weirdly marked or older, such as the one above is a M4 Carbine, US property marked. Not an M4A1, although many are M4A1 marked.

With lasers, both PEQ15 and LA-5 are being used.

There is a large variety in the finer details, mostly related to how long the particular person has been in position.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:43:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ed_Victory] [#18]
Originally Posted By Urushiol:

Never heard of this thenar device thing, sounds interesting, you say it was on a real FBI regional team rifle?

View Quote

They’re usually hiding, look close and you’ll see one here.

They work great with AFGs, creating a second indexing point that effectively locks your hand in place.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Never noticed that before, good eye!
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Urushiol:
Fucking sweet, mines gonna be very close to this. Mainly waiting for a gov charging handle to pop somewhere before grabbing the last few non-exclusive parts I need.

Great job
View Quote

Ex FBI guy designed it, so a LOT of the rifles have it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is mine, finished.

Real one has the older Spur mount with an H1, I will move mine over to Spur when I find one, but will retain the T2 because NODS.

Setup is

Colt rollmarked M4 lower
Geissle SSA
RRA Grip, this is the one made for RRA by hogue, they were often moved over from the agents prior RRA guns
Magpul QD endplate

Colt Upper
Geissele Fed rail
Colt BCG

Troy Sights
Surefire dual switch
PEQ15 high power
FAB defense grip
Thenar attachment
VTAC Sling
Arisaka Surefire mount
Surefire Light
Magpul MLOK panels

As stated, this is a clone of a real rifle so some of the exact set-up is to exactly mimic this rifle, as opposed to being a generic copy of a generic rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/tP7Ywt4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UN3xXJi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5QCGyTZ.jpg
View Quote

Very nice rifle. Is that one of those older rare Colt 6920 property M4 carbine marked lowers?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#22]
@elucidate do you have a link to the thenar attachment?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
@elucidate do you have a link to the thenar attachment?
View Quote
https://www.provenoutfitters.com/thenar
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Here is mine, finished.

Setup is

Colt rollmarked M4 lower
Geissle SSA
Magpul QD endplate

Colt Upper
Geissele Fed rail
Colt BCG

Troy Sights
Surefire dual switch
PEQ15 high power
FAB defense grip
Thenar attachment
VTAC Sling
Arisaka Surefire mount
Surefire Light
Magpul MLOK panels

View Quote

That is spot on. Nice looking setup
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

What is the process for getting BRT to modify your gas block?  I notice that they are all sold out online and they haven't responded to an email inquiry that I sent out about a week ago.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By daylapaul:

What is the process for getting BRT to modify your gas block?  I notice that they are all sold out online and they haven't responded to an email inquiry that I sent out about a week ago.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By daylapaul:

I placed an order on their website and shipped them my gas block, after emailing them and confirming they still offer the service.

It was a bit of an ordeal and I don't know that I would work with them again. I shipped them the gas block, tracking showed delivered, and then I didn't hear anything for like 3 weeks. Contacted them and they said they never received it. I sent them the tracking info showing it was delivered and who signed for it. A couple days later they "found" it. No more communication until I got a shipping notification a couple weeks later.

I'd say it took at least 6, maybe 7 weeks to get the gas block done. No apologies or explanation from them at all. Original turnaround time was supposed to be about a week. Everyone raves about the product, so I'm sure when I assemble my upper I'll be happy, but I think their customer service sucks. If I built another upper, I'd probably just deal with the bigger gas port and throw a sprinco blue and H3 buffer in it and call it a day.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: l1ving] [#27]
Damn I missed getting the HRT Spuhr mounts when Mile High had them. Any chance they'll come back in stock?

Edit: Looks like they're back
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:19:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lmc10278] [#28]
Someone please sell me a gen1 Mk4 federal rail in ODG. Looking to spend up to $650 plus for one in good shape! This is the last piece of the puzzle for me and my build will be complete.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:05:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Lmc10278:
Someone please sell me a gen1 Mk4 federal rail in ODG. Looking to spend up to $650 plus for one in good shape! This is the last piece of the puzzle for me and my build will be complete.
View Quote

I spent about $500 on a gen1 black MK4 federal recently. I knew the gen2 would be in stock again at some point, but wanted the gen1. I think your price range is reasonable, you just need to find a seller. I kept an eye on the Equipment Exchange and eventually found a black gen1 new in box. Be patient.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I way overpaid for a gray Mk4 Fed (latest gen) because I hadn’t seen one for sale in a long time and had a bit extra money at the time. Then a week later I got a really nice gray Gen 1 Fed on Gunbroker for $400.

Someone finally answered my WTB for a black Mk4 Fed. It’s a Blemula but in great shape. Got it and it’s great... but it’s missing the word “Federal” in the marking. Literally 2 days later G has black Feds in stock.

So now I have:

Gen 1 ODG
Gen 2 DDC
Gen 1 Gray
Gen 2 Gray
Gen 1 Black (Blemula)
Gen 2 Black

When it rains it pours....
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I way overpaid for a gray Mk4 Fed (latest gen) because I hadn’t seen one for sale in a long time and had a bit extra money at the time. Then a week later I got a really nice gray Gen 1 Fed on Gunbroker for $400.

Someone finally answered my WTB for a black Mk4 Fed. It’s a Blemula but in great shape. Got it and it’s great... but it’s missing the word “Federal” in the marking. Literally 2 days later G has black Feds in stock.

So now I have:

Gen 1 ODG
Gen 2 DDC
Gen 1 Gray
Gen 2 Gray
Gen 1 Black (Blemula)
Gen 2 Black

View Quote

Hurry up and get building!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#32]

So now I have:

Gen 1 ODG
Gen 2 DDC
Gen 1 Gray
Gen 2 Gray
Gen 1 Black (Blemula)
Gen 2 Black

View Quote

That's a hell of a list. Your safe is going to look like an FBI arms room.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:54:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jttaylor1228] [#33]
Hey Guys, I actually contacted Troy about this and they said it is the 9 inch rail. Whooops I forgot to quote the post I was replying to.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone remember what page the GRAY Fed rail-equipped FBI guns for the Vehicke Teams or whatever were talked about?

Or any idea what generation Maxim PDW stock was used on these?

It won’t be an authentic clone or anything but the PDW looks awesome.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Started to build the wrong clone, in the process of taking the layers of paint of my 98 or 99 Rock River lower and realised its green, lol
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone remember what page the GRAY Fed rail-equipped FBI guns for the Vehicke Teams or whatever were talked about?

Or any idea what generation Maxim PDW stock was used on these?

It won’t be an authentic clone or anything but the PDW looks awesome.
View Quote

I looked through over 20 pages of the thread trying to find it before giving up. I do have this pic, which I believe was posted originally by hrt4me. Hope it helps. The gray rifles are super cool.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:25:49 AM EDT
[#37]

I looked through over 20 pages of the thread trying to find it before giving up. I do have this pic, which I believe was posted originally by hrt4me. Hope it helps. The gray rifles are super cool.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/500752/green___grey_M4_carbines_jpg-1584398_jpe-1879019.JPG
View Quote

Thanks! That does help a lot!
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Thanks! That does help a lot!
View Quote

Page 37, I think he posted the original pictures, some close ups  of the stock that might help
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#39]
Originally Posted By tamboi:

Page 37, I think he posted the original pictures, some close ups  of the stock that might help
View Quote

You da real MVP

Pics courtesy of @hrt4me from pg 37

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And with his black-railed gun

Attachment Attached File

Now I just need to figure out what model Maxim PDW that is.  Off to study....
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Maxim made a specific "HRT" collapsible stock they advertised for sale a while ago, but I believe it was just one of the regular (not sure what model/gen) that used a standard carbine spring/buffer instead of their own, which came in the later gens.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
Maxim made a specific "HRT" collapsible stock they advertised for sale a while ago, but I believe it was just one of the regular (not sure what model/gen) that used a standard carbine spring/buffer instead of their own, which came in the later gens.
View Quote

Thanks man

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

our carbines are ever-evolving, and the next gen version will have upgrades and be different once again... probably an even shorter barrel, different (better) RDS optic, similar collapsible stock with modifications, different WML and different sling, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes

Any idea where to buy one? Having little luck at the moment.

Originally Posted By hrt4me:

our carbines are ever-evolving, and the next gen version will have upgrades and be different once again... probably an even shorter barrel, different (better) RDS optic, similar collapsible stock with modifications, different WML and different sling, etc.

So basically soon this thread will be full of out dated relics. Hope that means I can finally pick up a grey rail at a decent price.

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Looking for ODG Gen1 MK4 rail, NIB, PM me if you have one you want to sell. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is mine, finished.

Setup is

Colt rollmarked M4 lower
Geissle SSA
Magpul QD endplate

Colt Upper
Geissele Fed rail
Colt BCG

Troy Sights
Surefire dual switch
PEQ15 high power
FAB defense grip
Thenar attachment
VTAC Sling
Arisaka Surefire mount
Surefire Light
Magpul MLOK panels

View Quote

If you momentary the remote doesn't that block the PEQ?

I know you're cloning but I rarely see "operator" types mounting the PEQ that far back.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Slu54:

If you momentary the remote doesn't that block the PEQ?

I know you're cloning but I rarely see "operator" types mounting the PEQ that far back.
View Quote
This is the current method. From regular American FBI regional SWAT though to Obi Wan Nairobi SAS.

The reason is that the illuminator is basically never used. So you aren't blocking anything when you activate it. The laser is the opposite side. This then puts the switch where your hand naturally sits and it far easier to activate. For natural hand placement nothing beats the MAWL but the PEQ back with buttons in front is a close second.
The caveat to that is the MAWL (obviously) and the Wilcox, the Wilcox has the same illuminator as the MAWL (same technology, not exact same unit) and it produces a perfectly clear wide beam that floods, or a tight far beam, so you actually can use the illuminator to improve your world with those units. Try that with a PEQ. It sucks. The wide filter is like looking at a Petri dish and the far throw is pitiful.

The more you look the more you'll see the units mounted where mine is mounted.

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By doyouquaxu:

Any idea where to buy one? Having little luck at the moment.

View Quote

Date: March 29, 2021 at 12:23:57 CDT
To: C6H12O6
Subject: Contact Form Submission

C6H12O6,

Undecided at this time.

Thank you,

Maxim Defense

Confidential Information © Copyright 2013-2020 MAXIM DEFENSE All rights reserved. This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately by replying to sender.

NOTICE: This electronic communication, (including any attachments) is intended exclusively for the individuals or entities to which it is addressed. It may contain sensitive, confidential, or proprietary information. Any unauthorized disclosure, use, dissemination, or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Furthermore, this communication may contain technical information that is subject to U.S. Export Control Laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Dept. of Commerce Export Administration Regulation (EAR). If so, transfer to a foreign national or representative of a foreign government or interest, even in the U.S., without prior Government authorization is prohibited and violation of such Export Control Laws is subject to significant penalties. If you have received this communication in error, please notify its sender immediately by replying and then permanently delete this communication from your IT system.

On 3/28/21, 1:11 PM, "Maxim Defense"  wrote:

Name: C6H12O6
  Email: C6H12O6
  Subject: HRT stock

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Educate me guys, got a Colt HRT heavy 11.5, FSB is removed and going to send to Adco for a shave. Quick question, my build will be with the DDC MK4 Gen1. This takes standard carbine gas tube with the shaved FSB?  Stainless or black?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:11:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#50]

I spent about $500 on a gen1 black MK4 federal recently. I knew the gen2 would be in stock again at some point, but wanted the gen1. I think your price range is reasonable, you just need to find a seller. I kept an eye on the Equipment Exchange and eventually found a black gen1 new in box. Be patient.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lmc10278:

I didn’t realize that they were bringing so much, I think I’m going to buy a gen 2 and put my gen one back in the box.
Page / 87
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top