AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, on a couple SBR's. One 12.5" AR the other a K cut CZ Scorpion
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I have a VFG on this old-style build. I don't actually grip the entire VFG but treat it similar to a AFG.

Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Several of my rifles wear VFGs of various manufacture.

BCM, KAC, and Magpul are the normal suspects.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
yes, I use the KACs because I like them, a multitude of uses really.  I use as a handstop, standard vfg and can be used to rest the rifle for shooting if needed.  Love them, will not have one really.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Still do, use it mainly as a handstop and referencing point to hit my light. They’re also nice for when you’re walking a ways with it slung. Without the grip my wrist starts to hurt from being torqued around holding the handguard. With the grip my wrist is in a much more natural and comfortable position. Stubbier is usually better for me, and I prefer the modular troy w/ lower half removed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the BCM grip on some rifles and I use a magpul very grip on my 5.5” 9mm SBR. Each build is different
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Grab the shit outta that donkey dick and own it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:25:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AFGs like Magpuls put my hand at a weird angle.
View Quote
This is what I’ve found.

I’ve gone from an AFG, to handstops and now to a VFG that I hold via modified c-clamp.

My wrist feels immensely better for doing so.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, I have a VFG on this old-style build. I don't actually grip the entire VFG but treat it similar to a AFG.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1839/42970283135_fe40dfd1cd_c.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pY0lHsB.png
View Quote
This is exactly how I grip my rifles with my VFG. I find the angle much more comfortable than any AFG.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I do. A BCM Mod3 on my personal pistol build and my work rifle.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I like my TD stubby. Dont need much, just a few fingers worth...
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't have one currently; though the idea of one to store a spare bolt is appealing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, but I don't use the "choke-hold" grip on it or whatever it's called.  It's more of a vertical angled forgrip hand stop

Not my pic but it illustrates about how I grip it.
Attachment Attached File

I tried the actual M Lok handstop kit but it made my arm twist into an uncomfortable position.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't have a vertical fore grip on my ARs, but I do on my AK.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I have them on most of mine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have them on most of mine.
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I have one on my primary rifle. I typically use it like a handstop but I also like having it available to use to maintain control of the rifle when I use my dominant hand to do something like pull a door/turn a knob, etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#19]
No I have a hand stop that I can use to index or split fingers
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I have both.

Current configuration utilizes the vfg as it holds my remote switch for my light.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've only really ever liked vertical grips on really short guns. I don't use them on most of my ARs.
View Quote
No I don’t but there is some merit to this.  A shorter handguard radically changes the relationship of your arm and your hand to the rifle.  A VFG might be useful for that application.

I went to 13” handguards and never looked back.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#22]
On some I do and others I don't. The one on my FA SP1 is used as more of a handstop. I'm more likely to use them on SBRs, but again not always.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I still use LaRue FUGs for handstops/pull the rifle into your shoulder thingies.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I like short VFG's and I use them as a handstop, not like a pistol grip.  I like them for my rifles with mid or carbine length handguards.  AFG's are never quite the right angle or whatever - don't really work as a handstop how I'd like them to.  With a rifle length handguard, I like just the handguard, no forward grips attached.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I think its the opposite, more people ditching the afg and going back to short vfg or no grip at all.

That’s what I did, afg was cool and different when it came out. Now it just seems akward. When it came out I was putting afg on everything, now they are all laying a box unused.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#26]
never got the love of the angled grip...

But I did get the love for my VFG way back in 01-02 time frame.... And kept it ever sense.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Yup
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep.  A Tangodown stubby where I wrap four fingers around it and thumb over bore.  It's by far the most comfortable for my wrists.

12 hour hunting trips showed me the problems with aggressive c clamping and arm extension.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I still like a Tango Down vertical grip on my SBR. But my SBR is the only one I have with a pic rail. Everything else is MLok and handstops now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
THIS is the way to use a VFG.
I built my friend a rifle recently (His first AR).  I had a VFG on it at first but the second I gave it to him he white knuckle gripped that thing with his whole fist.  No way I was gonna let that stand.  Took the rifle back an installed a B5 gripstop.  Now he doesn't look like a fool when he holds his gun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well, NY tells us that they're all evil!

Of course, they tell us a lot of crazy bulls**t.

I do have an index tab (couldn't possibly grip it) from a handstop kit to keep my hand where it needs to be to use my weapon light (warning: may offend some posters' fragile sensibilities):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/403150/20180824_120652-sm-677625.JPG
View Quote
Good joke... where are the real ones now?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It comes down to understanding body mechanics. For example, c-clamping it a terrible way to clear a building. Mobility restrictions become more and more pronounced as you begin to add gear to the equation. Even without gear you can test this. Square up to the target (feet included). A right handed shooter with c clamp is going to have loads of movement to th left, and very restricted movement to the right unless you shift your feet. Move hand back and underneath gripping the vfg as intended and you will find much better mobility. Inside a building this increased mobility becomes more important as all the extra gear carried takes up operating space. Compound that with working with others and you quickly find out that the tighter you are the more mobile you are and the more effective you are inside that building. (Side note-I treat c-clamp and afg the same so use them interchangeably. I’m on my phone and don’t feel like retyping all this to separate the two)

Once outside the building extend the stock, punch your hand out, blade your body slightly for a better platform, and you can use the vfg as an afg.

The higher versatility of the vfg is what makes it supperior.

An important note-the tactics described are heavily geared toward combat style use and cqb. for basic self defense ymmv and you need to use what you can use comfortably and effectively.
View Quote
I’ve been wearing armor and clearing rooms for over 20 years and don’t see the difference. Most people with VFG use a modified C clamp or a hybrid type hold. As far as movement or lack thereof using a c clamp is also unfounded.  Look at shotgun shooters/ hunters.  There are no issues swinging thru left or right targets.  Same goes with carbine shooting- all about the training.  I wear armor daily and train a ton in it. I. Actually quicker on movers  and multi targets with an AFG / modified C clamp. Timers don’t lie.  My technique and stock position stays the same wether I’m clearing rooms or engaging outdoors - I may have to slightly modify something based on available cover or position I need to shoot from .  Look at all shooting schools and legit instructors for what they teach- that may be a clue
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I’ve been wearing armor and clearing rooms for over 20 years and don’t see the difference. Most people with VFG use a modified C clamp or a hybrid type hold. As far as movement or lack thereof using a c clamp is also unfounded.  Look at shotgun shooters/ hunters.  There are no issues swinging thru left or right targets.  Same goes with carbine shooting- all about the training.  I wear armor daily and train a ton in it. I. Actually quicker on. Overs and multi targets with an AFG / modified C clamp. Timers don’t lie.  My technique and stock position stays the same wether I’m clearing rooms or engaging outdoors - I may have to slightly modify something based on available cover or position I need to shoot from .  Look at all shooting schools and legit instructors for what they teach- that may be a clue
View Quote
As long as it works for you. I am only speaking from my combat experience and what works better in that situation. As I stated ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is exactly how I grip my rifles with my VFG. I find the angle much more comfortable than any AFG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, I find this particular grip to be the most comfortable.
I've tried AFG, VFG, stubby VFG, hand stop, no attachment, and the stubby VFG is my all time favorite for almost all type of shooting.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I like my KAC VFG's.

I shoot in really high ambient temperatures so it keeps my hand further away from the heat of the barrel when shooting a lot.

Also it helps me manipulate the flashlight tailcap with my thumb.

Finally I don't really care about whether my shots are 0.20 seconds or 0.25 seconds apart.  I'm not shooting in competitions.  So if it's not the best for recoil reduction I don't care.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I had one for about a minute in 2009.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Troy aluminum VFG on my Mk12 clone upper.  It makes it a little easier to carry because of the added weight in the front from the bipod.

Other then that I prefer the Magpul XTM hand stops.

Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I have one vert handle. I like it, but dont plan on using them on my other rifles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Some have and some don't.
View Quote
Do you have a slight preference of yes vs no?  If you do, what reason to not lean towards your preference on all rifles?
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Help me find that product!

I can't have a pistol grip.
It needs to come in m lok

I want to have essentially the same grip you get with a VFG.

I'm currently using a Strike grip mounted backwards. It works, but feels awkward as it wasn't designed to be used as such.

(Stock photo, but mine is mounted backwards.)

I'm currently looking at the BCM KAG.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I do have an index tab (couldn't possibly grip it) from a handstop kit to keep my hand where it needs to be to use my weapon light (warning: may offend some posters' fragile sensibilities):

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope CA tells me AFG is better than a VFG.
Still rather have a VFG. AFGs like Magpuls put my hand at a weird angle.

Is that a Remington Special Field stock on the left gun?
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes, and I use them as grips as opposed to a handstop. Frag wound to my left wrist makes the C-Clamp hold kinda uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Help me find that product!

I can't have a pistol grip.
It needs to come in m lok

I want to have essentially the same grip you get with a VFG.

I'm currently using a Strike grip mounted backwards. It works, but feels awkward as it wasn't designed to be used as such.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Fdh-v_A2uAw/maxresdefault.jpg

(Stock photo, but mine is mounted backwards.)

I'm currently looking at the BCM KAG.
View Quote
Mako PTK AFG
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Do you not?
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I like it on rails/handguards 7 inches or shorter. Other than that I could take it or leave it. With my preference to leave it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Like what some other posters were getting at, I personally feel that an AFG is good for shooting, but a VFG is better for everything else that I do with my rifle. In the military, you spend about 99% of your time with a rifle patrolling, searching, standing around, getting on and off helicopters and vehicles,etc., and I’ve just found that a VFG offers better control of the weapon. Things like point a weapon light up a stairwell or into nooks and crannies, checking around corners, climbing over a wall, and just maintaining control of the rifle with my off hand are all easier with a VFG. If I have to shoot, I can quickly transition to using it as a hand stop - but never a broomstick. I used an AFG in Afghanistan for about a month, and I (and an infantryman who borrowed my M4 once) just found it unsuited to doing all those things, especially on a bulky RAS. It may work for others, but that’s my personal experience.

We trained with an FBI SWAT team last year, and they all had AFGs at the front end of their handguards. They tended to sort of cup the AFG as they were shooting, rather than the over-the-top C-clamp. It works great for their type of operations - arrive at a target location, assemble, and prepare to make entry and engage targets. Their job has a heavy focus on being prepared to shoot, and the AFG complements how they enter buildings.

I’m another big fan of the TD Stubby, both at home and at work:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Only on my SBR.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#50]
I prefer the Gripod. I can’t stand to sacrifice accuracy by not having my barrel stabilized, and the Gripod is the lightest bipod I own. As for a VFG, I don’t really use them because the gun feels more shaky than if I grab the hand guard directly. So for me it’s either a Gripod or nothing...except on short barrels. On short barrels I get kinda skeered of blowing my fingers off, so I use AFG’s as hand stops.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top