Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 123
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:55:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

Damn I was gonna grab one just to have. Just really wish they were a tad higher. Sucks that half the window is covered by the turret.

This top cap has always intrigued me. It's def not the Wilcox and looks like a pic rail mount on the Docter.

I really wonder what it is.

https://i.imgur.com/96efWyH.jpg
View Quote

I just grabbed the last wilcox mount from nitevis.com.  $4 more than OTN but I got one at least.

What do you mean when you said all it needs is an X24?  What are you referring to?  Excuse my ignorance.

Edit:  Oh were you referring to the mod 1 needing an x24?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

I just grabbed the last wilcox mount from nitevis.com.  $4 more than OTN but I got one at least.

What do you mean when you said all it needs is an X24?  What are you referring to?  Excuse my ignorance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Damn I was gonna grab one just to have. Just really wish they were a tad higher. Sucks that half the window is covered by the turret.

This top cap has always intrigued me. It's def not the Wilcox and looks like a pic rail mount on the Docter.

NF 2.5-10x24
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The Wilcox 30mm mounts are gone at OTN.  I called Larry and someone bought the last one yesterday.  He also contacted Wilcox for me and he said they aren't making them anymore.  They are now unobtanium so they will go for a premium.
View Quote

Haha, yeah, damn, looks like he just took the product page down. I literally ordered mine on the 5th on a whim. Must have been like the 2nd to last one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

No your NSW Recce.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

jpoint
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#6]
Originally Posted By cherokeefan03:

jpoint
View Quote

Mounts on NF rings though?

Ordered one with a Docter adapter to test. I'm still
Not convinced that's the mount. His looks like there is some overhang on the back. JP doesn't seem like it does that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Not convinced that's the mount. His looks like there is some overhang on the back. JP doesn't seem like it does that.
View Quote

Ordered a NF JP top ring?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

Ordered a NF JP top ring?
View Quote

Just the JP 30mm mount. Going to see if it lines up and maybe that's the mount on that rifle.

Just doesn't look the same as the JP mount on the helicopter Recce rifle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Misread you, thought you were asking if it was a jpoint or docter optic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I got a guy shifting one, hit me up
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cherokeefan03:

Misread you, thought you were asking if it was a jpoint or docter optic.
View Quote

The mystery continues haha.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#12]
The mystery continues haha.
View Quote

Off the top of my head, in terms of red dots mounted to NF x24 scopes, these are the only options I've seen w/ NSW guns:

- Wilcox Docter mount on NF ring
- Wilcox JPoint mount on NF ring
- Wilcox T1 mount on NF ring
- Insight Docter/MRDS 30mm mount both on NF ring and standalone
- Old pattern GG&G 30mm Docter mount
- Nightforce RULR
- ARMS #22 TRC/TRR (often chopped)

The pic, as blurry as it is, doesn't really match up with any of these. The 22 TRC/TRR is probably the closest, but those look like NF rings. So yeah, probably a continued mystery unless a higher resolution photo of that rifle ever shows up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Well gents, I'm eating crow and regretting selling my upper. If anyone has a lead on a long FF RAS, please let me know.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 03CR:
Well gents, I'm eating crow and regretting selling my upper. If anyone has a lead on a long FF RAS, please let me know.
View Quote

Also me
I keep coming to this thread for inspiration to build one
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

We forgive you. Crow taste like shit. There was one in the EE a while ago when I went cruising in there but it's probably gone.

Go ahead and grab you an x24, that's the tough one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Well sir, at least it went to a good home.   Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I've learned to hold onto KAC rails even if I have no immediate intention to build with them. It's inevitable that I come back around and want to do a build at a time where they are hard to find.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:44:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#18]
Got some velocities today out of my NSW Recce.

Barrel: 15.1" BA Govt Profile 416R 1/8 .223 Wylde w/ AEM5
Chronograph: Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX Chronograph
Temp 54F
Barometric Pressure 30.0 in Hg

Black Hills 5.56 77gr OTM
Avg FPS: 2665
ES: 44
SD: 18

Australian Outback .223 69gr Sierra Matchking HPBT
Avg FPS: 2513
ES: 72
SD: 26

IMI Mk262 77gr Sierra Matchking HPBT
Avg FPS: 2554
ES: 61
SD: 21
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Barrel: 15.1" BA Govt Profile 416R .223 Wylde w/ AEM5

View Quote

Great speeds out of that BH!

Those BA barrels are awesome. The one in J's Recce is pretty quick also.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#20]

The Wilcox 30mm mounts are gone at OTN.  I called Larry and someone bought the last one yesterday.  He also contacted Wilcox for me and he said they aren't making them anymore.  They are now unobtanium so they will go for a premium.

Thanks!
View Quote

lol, great. I slept and now I'm screwed. Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Great speeds out of that BH!

Those BA barrels are awesome. The one in J's Recce is pretty quick also.
View Quote

Yep I was impressed! Stretching her out to 600yds next Friday at CMP Talladega. Good times will be had.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Been a lurker and fan of these clones threads for a while and wanted to contribute this info for those that are curious. I tested putting a micro T1/wilcox ring mount on the rear ring instead of the front ring to see how it fits:

The thread on throw lever for the NXS does not scrape against the back of the T1 surprisingly.  You have to push forward on it purposefully while turning to get it touch, it's that tight.  I have more points to make but I'm limited to 2000 characters.  The rear ring also sits fully forward in a pic slot on a colt upper, didn't have to compromise there.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TraumaCharms:
Been a lurker and fan of these clones threads for a while and wanted to contribute this info for those that are curious. I tested putting a micro T1/wilcox ring mount on the rear ring instead of the front ring to see how it fits:
https://i.imgur.com/r7UslKD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oevdOla.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ynqUdfN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1NIfI6I.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vbugxMn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LJCpCuL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/imN1Sd9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tijQYkA.jpg

The thread on throw lever for the NXS does not scrape against the back of the T1 surprisingly.  You have to push forward on it purposefully while turning to get it touch, it's that tight.  I have more points to make but I'm limited to 2000 characters.  The rear ring also sits fully forward in a pic slot on a colt upper, didn't have to compromise there.  Hope this helps
View Quote

Thanks for the pictures.  Those are helpful.  What are the pros of putting it on the rear ring?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:29:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TraumaCharms] [#24]
you can have full range of motion for the window to see the dot versus having half of it cut off by the NXS elevation turret.  EDIT: also having it mounted here allows you to seat the scope fully forward in the rings which is nice if you're a nose to charging handle guy.  

I was hoping it would allow good aiming with head mounted NODs.  With my PVS-14 w/stock rubber sacrificial lens, I can't aim through the T1 easily at all regardless if it's forward or back.  Lots of scope crashing and barely enough room to get a picture of the dot.  without the sac lens it's only slightly better finding the dot.  I think the battery compartment is the problem along with the the rubber sac lens on the 14's. I think since the SEALs at the time this mount came out were using PVS-15s the eye piece area is a sleeker profile around those which I think might allow that little bit of extra room to aim through the T1 easier and fully (without dot being at the edge of the window)  Otherwise you gotta crane your neck back and get the nods cleared behind the NXS eye piece for room to see through, which feels weird and not practical.  

If the mount placed the micro higher then that could work better, a riser for a riser, haha.  I haven't messed with the Doctor/Jpoint versions but from the pictures I've seen, the window of the optic looks to sit higher above the scope body than the T1 mount does for the T1, which would allow easier finding of the dot with head NODs.  Although those are both optics without a NV setting so I wouldn't want to look through them for long to avoid burn spots.  

Also in regards to the micro T2, I've seen some folks who have the Wilcox mount and T2 here (wish I can remember your names).  But since the objective lens and eye piece lens body areas stick out further than a T1, I'm not sure if it would fit on the rear ring, especially with the NXS throw lever on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Barrel: 15.1" BA Govt Profile 416R .223 Wylde w/ AEM5
Temp 54F

View Quote

good data. that shows why the black hills load commands a premium. nice numbers compared to it's peers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#26]

Yep I was impressed! Stretching her out to 600yds next Friday at CMP Talladega. Good times will be had.
View Quote

NSW is all day at 600. Once you get into handloading, if you aren't already, you can cut that SD in half and be even more accurate! I might go take mine out to 600 Monday. Really need to find some more 75 BTHP's, those are my favorite!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:35:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emtothedee] [#27]

Barrel: 15.1" BA Govt Profile 416R 1/8 .223 Wylde w/ AEM5
Temp 54F

View Quote

What’s your elevation?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

What’s your elevation?
View Quote

Right around 1170’
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:25:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#29]

View Quote

Enjoy yourself. That facility is amazing. You’ve got the electronic targets out to 600 and not too long ago they did a steel unknown distance to 650 I believe.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#30]
This came in today for the NSW Recce from KERIF Night Vision.  Going to put a HS503GU on top (don't flame me ) then give her the ol whiskey rattle can job.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:22:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#31]
Anybody want to trade a J point for a Docter?

Also,

Got the JP mount in. It's not NF ring compatible and sits a tad higher than the Burris mount.

Gonna keep it though as it's clone proper.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/WTS-KAC-Mk-12-SAM-R-FF-RAS-long-part-KM21318/22-2131415/
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Thanks for the heads up, but I was too slow.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#34]
Got bored. Went back to the Docter/Burris mount. Threw it on the rear to see what that's like. You can still see what your dialing through your left eye while prone. Dot seems the same to acquire as in front of the turret.

Not really digging the JP mount. It's clone but it's way bulkier than the Burris.

Shoulda kept my Wilcox, oh well.

If anyone wants a JP mount it's yours for $50. PM me.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Got bored. Went back to the Docter/Burris mount. Threw it on the rear to see what that's like. You can still see what your dialing through your left eye while prone. Dot seems the same to acquire as in front of the turret.

Not really digging the JP mount. It's clone but it's way bulkier than the Burris.

https://i.imgur.com/wTzVed1.jpg
View Quote

Damn it I was hoping you'd cut me a deal.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Damn it I was hoping you'd cut me a deal.  
View Quote

Counter offer sent.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#37]

https://i.imgur.com/wTzVed1.jpg
View Quote

The Burris doctor mount for under $50 is super slick for these guns on the x24. I'm still trying to track down a wilcox NF doctor ring mount but the Burris is great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Did CLE get there Gap game together on the 15.1" barrels? I know you had one that wasn't so flush @eyekahn last time. I'm going to put a order in and ditch this BA barrel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
Did CLE get there Gap game together on the 15.1" barrels? I know you had one that wasn't so flush @eyekahn last time. I'm going to put a order in and ditch this BA barrel.
View Quote

I don’t know about the Gap, but I put in my order for a CLE 15.1” on 3/17/21 haven’t heard anything yet, nor taken payment..
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:23:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#40]
View Quote

Gap is more clone!

First one I had made in 2018 had way more gap than the Douglas I got last year.

So it's closer just not stupid flush.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:

I don’t know about the Gap, but I put in my order for a CLE 15.1” on 3/17/21 haven’t heard anything yet, nor taken payment..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:

I figured it would take a minute. They have been backlogged for a while.

Gap is more clone!

https://i.imgur.com/TPPr7Yw.jpg

First one I had made in 2018 had way more gap than the Douglas I got last year.

So it's closer just not stupid flush.

Tight gap is beat gap. I was going to ask what you went with. I have the Douglas in my cart.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#42]
You gonna offload the BA you have?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:57:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#43]
Is barrel whip really a thing when running the AEM5 so close to the FF RAS?

I’m pretty happy with the gap on the upper I bought that D Wilson did.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:
You gonna offload the BA you have?
View Quote

Yeah when the CLE comes in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Yeah when the CLE comes in.
View Quote

I'll be waiting!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#46]

I figured it would take a minute. They have been backlogged for a while.

Tight gap is beat gap. I was going to ask what you went with. I have the Douglas in my cart.
View Quote

Bart wasn't worth the extra cost honestly.

Doug has been great. Haven't spent a ton of time developing a handload for it but it shoots my BS 73gr eld load very well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Bart wasn't worth the extra cost honestly.

Doug has been great. Haven't spent a ton of time developing a handload for it but it shoots my BS 73gr eld load very well.
View Quote

Good to know, I ordered the Douglas. I was wondering if the Bartlein or Kreigers would be worth the cost on this platform having only owned Bartlein on the boltys.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#48]

Good to know, I ordered the Douglas. I was wondering if the Bartlein or Kreigers would be worth the cost on this platform having only owned Bartlein on the boltys.
View Quote

I've gotten to the point where I don't even use the same manufacturers brass with 223. Fuck it. It still shoots sub moa ha  

Bart or Proof is a must for the bolt though!

I throw my cell phone across the room when I load for the bolt! Can't have anything throwing my scale
Off.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#49]

I've gotten to the point where I don't even use the same manufacturers brass with 223. Fuck it. It still shoots sub moa ha  

Bart or Proof is a must for the bolt though!

I throw my cell phone across the room when I load for the bolt! Can't have anything throwing my scale
Off.
View Quote

With the ammo how it is now fuck it indeed lol. I've got a good amount of Black hills and IMI 77 gr stashed away just for the NSW.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#50]
Got bored so went down the rabbit hole to find a few pics.

416/Ops detailed photo.

NSW Recce from the DEV/MOH session

Page / 123
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top