Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
Originally Posted By Outrider:

I give him credit for making it this long.

It's because he didn't want to get shamed in his own thread.

Hahahaha.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

I give him credit for making it this long.

It's because he didn't want to get shamed in his own thread.

The Mk12 draws you in but that flush fit sex is impossible to ignore.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]

The Mk12 draws you in but that flush fit sex is impossible to ignore.
View Quote

Big ol' fax right there, bru. No cap.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Paint it? Or leave it?

The only thing holding me back is the lack of worn look painting over cerakote would have. That's what makes the rattle so good looking.

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
Paint it? Or leave it?

The only thing holding me back is the lack of worn look painting over cerakote would have. That's what makes the rattle so good looking.

https://i.imgur.com/dZ9ruhp.jpg
View Quote

Why you ask, bruh. You already know.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Haha I do have another black A2 and rail panels. Might have to go grab that rusto tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Paint it? Or leave it?

View Quote

*rattle rattle*
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Paint it? Or leave it?

View Quote

Seems a bit weird that you’re worried about running a unimount because of clone correctness but then cerakoted your gun. Still confused by this one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#10]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

Seems a bit weird that you’re worried about running a unimount because of clone correctness but then cerakoted your gun. Still confused by this one.
View Quote

Cerakote was done when it was not a clone of any rifle.

I just cerakoted the rail when it got rebuilt to match the rest.

Hence why I'm painting it again...
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:49:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#11]
Unless I'm not tracking your question correctly, why wouldn't rattle wear over the cerakote? I think black/brown over that tan would look sick when it starts to wear. Sort of reverse of what you normally see rattle over black ano, but same concept.

I gotta get a NF so I can play, too. I have everything but that. My other projects are pretty much wrapped up so I can focus on doing something "proper"
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Cerakote was done when it was not a clone of any rifle.

I just cerakoted the rail when it got rebuilt to match the rest.

Hence why I'm painting it again...
View Quote

Well yeah you're kinda f'd at this point then if you're going for the authentic look. You could re-cerakote it black then rattle can it. You could sell the cerakoted parts and purchase new anodized parts and rattle can them. Or you could just try rattle canning the thing black, let it dry then do the camo, but the black would wear with the camo as well so… you'd still end up with wear parts showing tan cerakote.

Other idea would be to just rattle can it so thick that none of the tan cerakote shows through on wear, or when it does just keep adding more. This would be pretty authentic and have the right look. Also the cheapest/easiest option.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I could have sworn I read the whole reason for the cerakote was because you were tired of having paint on your hands and cheek from it wearing off while you shot?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:
I could have sworn I read the whole reason for the cerakote was because you were tired of having paint on your hands and cheek from it wearing off while you shot?
View Quote

To love is to suffer
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#15]
You know what I need? An x24

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 4:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#16]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

To love is to suffer
View Quote

Well put.

I was tired of that shit getting all over my face and hands but I also had every single long gun I owned at the time rattle canned so it was a constant with whatever I took to the range.

I also have ADD and can never leave anything alone.

I missed the rattle look for sure. The cerakote is super nice but it just doesn't have that true NSW Recce look.

So now it's rattled again.

At least it keeps the thread interesting. Been pretty stagnant as of late.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Well put.

I was tired of that shit getting all over my face and hands but I also had every single long gun I owned at the time rattle canned so it was a constant with whatever I took to the range.

I missed the rattle look for sure. The cerakote is super nice but it just doesn't have that true NSW Recce look.

https://i.imgur.com/IxFpUY1.jpg
View All Quotes

To love is to suffer

Well put.

That’s Awesomeness right there..
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Well put.

View Quote

You did a hell of a job!  The cerakote looked awesome but that is 10x better!
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

Well yeah you're kinda f'd at this point then if you're going for the authentic look. You could re-cerakote it black then rattle can it. You could sell the cerakoted parts and purchase new anodized parts and rattle can them. Or you could just try rattle canning the thing black, let it dry then do the camo, but the black would wear with the camo as well so… you'd still end up with wear parts showing tan cerakote.

Other idea would be to just rattle can it so thick that none of the tan cerakote shows through on wear, or when it does just keep adding more. This would be pretty authentic and have the right look. Also the cheapest/easiest option.
View Quote

Last one is what I ended up doing. I had a black rail panel and A2 grip so those will wear correctly. Sprayed a little black on the Sopmod. I could always swap that one out with a black one if needed.

Good thing is it's not cerakoted zombie green or some goofy shit like that. So when the cerakote shows it'll blend in with the rest pretty well.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:19:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#20]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:
View Quote

Yea I cerakoted it when it was built with the PRI handguard and AEM5 tucked underneath. It was after the original NSW I built got parted out and before I rebuilt it.

I still stand by the statement that it's annoying getting sticky fingers and cerakote solves this issue.

It just didn't look like a true NSW with the cerakote. It was really cool looking for sure just didn't have the vibe I kept wanting from it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Paint being sticky is a really easy fix.

Wipe it with oil, any oil.  Hell, even shit dick WD40.  It gets rid of the grittyness too.  It'll take a week or so to dry, but it will no longer get sticky.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

Wipe it with oil, any oil.  Hell, even shit dick WD40.  It gets rid of the grittyness too.  It'll take a week or so to dry, but it will no longer get sticky.

View Quote

I took your advice doing that a while back and it definitely helped out for sure.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Will do!
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I've always heated my parts in front of a space heater before and after painting and I've never had any sticky paint. Krylon has been g2g within 8-12 hours. Aervoe at about 18-24. It also seems to have made the paint resist wear better too, but that's not operator.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Ima have to give that a try..
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:

Ima have to give that a try..
View Quote

It gives it a nice gloss finish too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#27]
This is what finally pushed me toward a NSW. It's on track and it will probably stay as is and play second fiddle to NSW. I tried out both of my Vari-X III 2.5-8x & 3-9x on it before ordering this and those are nice scopes but low light is garbagio on my old Leupys. And the crazy low capped turrets scream commercial and not the later pre-Mk4 models. Not that it really matters, but I wasn't digging either. I have everything else secured but a x24

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Fire. Straight fire.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#29]

1000% yes. It's the only AR15 you will ever need. You may want more but if your truly trying to master one setup it's awesome.

Now obviously you could run a more modern version. Like a 14.5 URGI with 1-10 Razor. Or let's say a 13.7" with a 13" URX4 and Razor/ATACR/NX8. But it just doesn't have as much of a cool factor to me.

Is it more practical? Yes, especially with a Flash Hider and a Socom can. If I had a short Socom can and never experienced an AEM5 I would 100% have one of the above.

You want a clone?
You want something everyone else at the range doesn't have?
You want to smash steel at 6-800?
You want to run and gun up close?
You want an insanely quiet 5.56 SBR?

If you answered yes to all the above then the NSW is for you.
View Quote

This quote should be in the OP. Man, I wish I'd gone through with the NSW Recce I wanted back in the day instead of trying to build a "modernized" gun I ended up selling weeks after finishing.

At the same time, it wouldn't be much fun at the indoor 20yd ranges we have around here...
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:53:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#30]
Originally Posted By minion42:

This quote should be in the OP. Man, I wish I'd gone through with the NSW Recce I wanted back in the day instead of trying to build a "modernized" gun I ended up selling weeks after finishing.

At the same time, it wouldn't be much fun at the indoor 20yd ranges we have around here...
View Quote

I shot mine once at my SOT's indoor 40yd range while waiting for the AE stamp. It's like driving an M3 in the grocery store parking lot...

The 600yd line is where the NSW makes you have a shit eating grin the most!
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]
For OG Seal Recce, what Vari-X features are pleasurable and/or deal breaker? I have my Vari-X III 2.5-8 back on my 7mag, but Lilja has barrels back in stock. So it could get ripped away again

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:24:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#32]
For OG Seal Recce, what Vari-X features are pleasurable and/or deal breaker? I have my Vari-X III 2.5-8 back on my 7mag, but Lilja has barrels back in stock. So it could get ripped away again

https://i.postimg.cc/RZmdsv18/MVIMG-20190915-162604-2.jpg
View Quote

Keep your eyes in the prize X24 is life. There was one on SH. Priced a little high but it was there a week ago.

Edit:

Here is the link. Not too bad of a price considering it's got the LT mount you can offload.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/mk12-clone-scopes-leupold-ts30-a2-nightforce-2-5-10x24mm.7032860/
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

The "OG" DEVGRU Recce scope (prior to the Nightforce 2.5-10x24) was the Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40mm with 3/4 Mil Dot reticle and 1" tube, P/N 49212 seen here.

I have the exact same scope and extremely rare new old stock 1" KAC Rings that I might be looking to let go of.  Email me if you're interested.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:52:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#34]
Originally Posted By usnguns:

The "OG" DEVGRU Recce scope (prior to the Nightforce 2.5-10x24) was the Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40mm with 3/4 Mil Dot reticle and 1" tube, P/N 49212 seen here.

https://i.imgur.com/W6cYrvV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AbOtNgq.jpg?1

I have the exact same scope and extremely rare new old stock 1" KAC Rings that I might be looking to let go of.  Email me if you're interested.

https://i.imgur.com/RsjNnLv.jpg
View Quote

@lancecriminal86

Aren't these the rings for the Horrigan build? Or were those 30mm?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Keep your eyes in the prize X24 is life. There was one on SH. Priced a little high but it was there a week ago.

Edit:

Here is the link. Not too bad of a price considering it's got the LT mount you can offload.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/mk12-clone-scopes-leupold-ts30-a2-nightforce-2-5-10x24mm.7032860/
View Quote

I sent the guy an offer on that but it says he hasn’t been online for 2 weeks so who knows.
Any other leads on a x24? Or is this pretty much a unicorn nowadays?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Soberglitch:

I sent the guy an offer on that but it says he hasn’t been online for 2 weeks so who knows.
Any other leads on a x24? Or is this pretty much a unicorn nowadays?
View Quote

do you care if it's the mil or moa reticle? the moa-r reticle is easier to come across.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

do you care if it's the mil or moa reticle? the moa-r reticle is easier to come across.
View Quote

I have very little time behind a moa or mil reticle so either way it’d be a learning curve. I’d take either gladly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#38]

@lancecriminal86

Aren't these the rings for the Horrigan build? Or were those 30mm?
View Quote

I am quite certain those rings pictured above are the ones he needs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:23:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaston4] [#39]
Just need 2k stimulus for the optic setup and then some paint and this clone will be done!

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By gaston4:
Just need 2k stimulus for the optic setup and then some paint and this clone will be done!

https://i.imgur.com/uxiJfhZ.jpg
View Quote

Daaamn, that's GWOT-fresh bru.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

They put all the risers on that thing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Excellent!  That is one of two unique sr25’s I have wanted to build.  Looks like I’ll be doing the other now since you did that one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Awesome and the best part is I know who took that wild pic
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cherokeefan03:

https://i.imgflip.com/4s3a3j.jpg
View Quote

Minh found this brain buster too.

300BLK NSW Dev Recce. OG G rail, 7.62 NT4, and x24...

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By j-dubya1:

Excellent!  That is one of two unique sr25's I have wanted to build.  Looks like I'll be doing the other now since you did that one.
View Quote

What's the other?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah that pics been around for a while(relatively), definitely one of the more unique and purpose built setups out there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#48]

https://i.imgur.com/rtvEV2Z.jpg
View Quote

That's Damian's setup, he posted it a year ago.

Apparently I'm the pic police today
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By TheGreatDanton:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheGreatDanton:

https://i.imgur.com/rtvEV2Z.jpg

It is also a .300BO with a Noveske barrel. Damian said that the Noveske outperformed everything that they were testing at the time.

Ironically, DEVGRU ditched the HK416 and is now issuing Noveske carbines in 5.56 and .300BO in the last year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#50]

What's the other?
View Quote

An early mk11 with the rail Larue made for them and collapsible stock that received the same EMC barrel conversion as the BR that Gaston did.
Page / 123
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top