Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 123
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Found a vfg and a short panel digging through my parts box get stuff ready for my 727 clone....guess it wasn't done

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:32:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GHOS7] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GuynamedDave:

That said, my last 2 Recce rifles were not NSW Seal spec. Far from it. I had a Vortex 1-4 and 9” rails on one, Midwest rails and a 3-9x40 on the other..... I’m stoked to be building this one to spec including the can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That said, my last 2 Recce rifles were not NSW Seal spec. Far from it. I had a Vortex 1-4 and 9” rails on one, Midwest rails and a 3-9x40 on the other..... I’m stoked to be building this one to spec including the can.
'Turns head and pretends to check watch and tries to go unnoticed'

LOL, I have a complete parts list spec'd out for a Larue type SPR build with their 12" quad rail, but then I got a contract working near the border and decided to build something a bit more purposeful and functional for my circumstances and decided go with a 13.5" mlok CMR. I'm actually going 1-4 also, Steiner PX4i as of now.

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

And it was at that point you realized just how influential the Mk12 SPR program was to the recce concept.
I've honestly been somewhat obsessed with the SPR/accurized M16s/RECCEs and the M262 round since reading "Trigger Men" by Hans Halberstadt, quite sometime ago. I actually read it for a second time while overseas last year in a couple sittings, it's that good.

Anyone that has interest in the era and origins of the SPR should read this book.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GHOS7:

I've honestly been somewhat obsessed with the SPR/accurized M16s/RECCEs and the M262 round since reading "Trigger Men" by Hans Halberstadt, quite sometime ago. I actually read it for a second time while overseas last year in a couple sittings, it's that good.

https://i.imgur.com/Aanrdsb.jpg

Anyone that has interest in the era and origins of the SPR should read this book.
View Quote
Duuude, yes. I'm getting that; thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for the info and insight. In your opinion (and others here) is the NF 2.5-10x24 (compact?) worth the premium over the Leupold MRT 2.5-8?

For $1150 I would be very interested in the NF...

Another note I wanted to add: my best friend and I are on a trust together. He owns an AEM5 for his Mod 0, as such I have access to it. So after I get my upper assembled and glassed, I can take it out without the AEM5 while my own AEM5 is in jail!

Pic of Mod 0 (I painted it, Duracoat)

https://i.imgur.com/u3ByAUT.jpg
View Quote
Get one of the newer NF x24s in MIL/MIL and you won't be sorry. The older Leupolds are great scopes until your shooting buddies start calling adjustments in MILs and you're looking at a MIL reticle with MOA adjustments. Fuck that shit. Matching reticles and turrets are where it's at - even better when you and your buddies all have the same. Some say it's not that big of a deal and it might not be if you've got good dope, know your holdovers, and have a ballistic calculator on hand. Most of us do all that stuff as it is. It's just nice to be on the same page speaking the same language as everyone else.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/Aanrdsb.jpg

Me too. Ordered
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Get one of the newer NF x24s in MIL/MIL and you won't be sorry. The older Leupolds are great scopes until your shooting buddies start calling adjustments in MILs and you're looking at a MIL reticle with MOA adjustments. Fuck that shit. Matching reticles and turrets are where it's at - even better when you and your buddies all have the same. Some say it's not that big of a deal and it might not be if you've got good dope, know your holdovers, and have a ballistic calculator on hand. Most of us do all that stuff as it is. It's just nice to be on the same page speaking the same language as everyone else.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info and insight. In your opinion (and others here) is the NF 2.5-10x24 (compact?) worth the premium over the Leupold MRT 2.5-8?

For $1150 I would be very interested in the NF...

Another note I wanted to add: my best friend and I are on a trust together. He owns an AEM5 for his Mod 0, as such I have access to it. So after I get my upper assembled and glassed, I can take it out without the AEM5 while my own AEM5 is in jail!

Pic of Mod 0 (I painted it, Duracoat)

https://i.imgur.com/u3ByAUT.jpg
Thanks for the input. I was thinking it over today and I think I would be happier with a NF than a Leupold. I prefer the aesthetics of it on the gun, plus the extra 2x on the top end is really nice. If I’m going this deep I might as well go all the way.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Me too. Ordered
Enjoy guys, it's one of my favorites books!
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#8]
What lenght KAC FF Rail do I need for a clone  MK12 / Recce Build?
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Lawdog-1:
View Quote
The Long/Rifle FF RAS and I’m pretty sure there are pics of the Medium FF RAS being used.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
All of this 2.5-10x24 talk is really making me want one. I really don't want to give up the 3-9 mk4 but I may have to finally bite the bullet and try one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 6:41:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:
All of this 2.5-10x24 talk is really making me want one. I really don't want to give up the 3-9 mk4 but I may have to finally bite the bullet and try one.
View Quote
Do ittttttttttt
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

Do ittttttttttt
View Quote
Threw the 3-9 up in the ee so we'll see...
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:
That Marine is using a MK12 mod 1, I believe
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JJREA:
http://www.rhinoden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_0061.jpg

Who's got the one that is sitting on a table in like a conference room. It's painted and has vertical stripes like a grass paint job, tan, 1-4, sopmod stock.....  That one should be in here I think .  Harris 6-9...  LT-104   Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?
This is very confusing.
A) Looks like desert MARPAT and not AOR1, so Marine
B) Looks like tan land CIRAS vest, so Recon Marine.
C) Looks like Sig 226, so SEAL.
D) Looks like 2.5-10x24, so SEAL.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
The Long/Rifle FF RAS and I’m pretty sure there are pics of the Medium FF RAS being used.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Originally Posted By Lawdog-1:
This. 12” long RAS. I ordered one this week from operationparts.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Unpopular opinion regarding the NF x24 that I have shared several times: It's a badass little scope as far as performance in a small form factor. However, I did not particularly enjoy being behind mine. It's a matter of physics with the small exit pupil. My head placement and the eyebox were very unforgiving which made for a rather exhausting day of shooting. I stepped up to the x32 which was a notable improvement but once the x42 came out it was a no brainer as it sacrificed basically nothing compared to the x32. YMMV of course but just sharing my experiences with the compact NFs and there are always compromises with optics.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Outrider:
Unpopular opinion regarding the NF x24 that I have shared several times: It's a badass little scope as far as performance in a small form factor. However, I did not particularly enjoy being behind mine. It's a matter of physics with the small exit pupil. My head placement and the eyebox were very unforgiving which made for a rather exhausting day of shooting. I stepped up to the x32 which was a notable improvement but once the x42 came out it was a no brainer as it sacrificed basically nothing compared to the x32. YMMV of course but just sharing my experiences with the compact NFs and there are always compromises with optics.
View Quote
Yeah that's what has made me hold off on getting one, kind of want it more for aesthetics than functionality at this point. I really like the 3-9 mk4 I have now. I threw the mark for up for trade in the ee, see if I get any bites. I may hold off and see if I can pick up a x32 or x42 down the line and try them both out at the same time and see if I like them better. Downside for me on this is if I get rid of the 3-9 I'll probably never get another one, it's taken me 2 years to get the one I have.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:54:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#17]
View Quote
It’s a tight eye box and is not good in direct sunlight at sunset. In the middle of the day or sun at your back and it’s awesome for a x24. Of course it won’t gather as much light, but that’s ok. This platform is a 5.56 not a .338 so it’s fine.

However, it’s looks G as fuck. That trumps all. Get the new Mil/Mil if you get one like J said. The Mil-r reticle is a must as pretty much all your holds out to 500 are roughly in half Mil increments.

Adco shipped my barrel so hopefully I’ll update the original post with my rig. Still debating on a MRDS or not. 2.5 is good up to 25 yards or so. I rarely shoot super close and have a shorty for up close fun stuff.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Yeah that's what has made me hold off on getting one, kind of want it more for aesthetics than functionality at this point. I really like the 3-9 mk4 I have now. I threw the mark for up for trade in the ee, see if I get any bites. I may hold off and see if I can pick up a x32 or x42 down the line and try them both out at the same time and see if I like them better. Downside for me on this is if I get rid of the 3-9 I'll probably never get another one, it's taken me 2 years to get the one I have.
View Quote
Try and score a used one in the EE and give it a go. It may work for you but if it doesn't hopefully you can recoup your cost by reselling. Optic selection is very personal so unfortunately there is a lot of trial and error which sucks on something so expensive.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Try and score a used one in the EE and give it a go. It may work for you but if it doesn't hopefully you can recoup your cost by reselling. Optic selection is very personal so unfortunately there is a lot of trial and error which sucks on something so expensive.
View Quote
Yeah, so very true
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 12345678:
This is very confusing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 12345678:
http://www.rhinoden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_0061.jpg

Who's got the one that is sitting on a table in like a conference room. It's painted and has vertical stripes like a grass paint job, tan, 1-4, sopmod stock.....  That one should be in here I think .  Harris 6-9...  LT-104   Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?
This is very confusing.
Uniform patterns don’t mean anything. I’ve seen guys wearing kryptek highlander everywhere just because he liked it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ehudbengera:

Uniform patterns don't mean anything. I've seen guys wearing kryptek highlander everywhere just because he liked it.
View Quote
Yep. Mod1 wearing a x24 NF and a P226 = vanilla SEAL.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Enjoy guys, it's one of my favorites books!
View Quote
Ordered as well thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

Ordered as well thanks!!
View Quote
Touche.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#25]
AEM5 order today from Capitol Armory! It’s happening!
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#26]
Originally Posted By SD307:
a recce is nothing but a fudd AR15. throw a hunting optic on a light er rifel with a free efloat barrel. that is a fudd gun.
View Quote
My Fudd barrel.  I'll try to do better next time.

Link Posted: 6/15/2018 6:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#27]
Originally Posted By SD307:
a recce is nothing but a fudd AR15. throw a hunting optic on a light er rifel with a free efloat barrel. that is a fudd gun.
View Quote
Get the FUDD outta this thread then!
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

Get the FUDD outta this thread then!
https://i.imgur.com/lZlhM1C.jpg
View Quote
How many dickmod rails you think that guys got.....hahah
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By rgb:
https://i.imgur.com/k4pBQas.jpg
View Quote
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#30]

How many dickmod rails you think that guys got.....hahah
View Quote
Lotta dicks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Colt is primarily what was used, the A1 variant lowers (which are used for Mk12's) were used in these as well.
View Quote
Are there pics of A1 lowers on SEAL Recce rifles? I'm thinking of converting my MK12 Mod 1.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Hopefully these fit. I know the 1.9" KAC mounts aren't kosher but they fit my likes....
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#33]
While I was putting my Blackhawk Down carbine together today I realized why I can't afford a Nightforce for the recce....hahaha. I may need to start the clone diet for a while.

Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#34]
While I was putting my Blackhawk Down carbine together today I realized why I can't afford a Nightforce for the recce....hahaha. I may need to start the clone diet for a while.

https://i.imgur.com/W1rF7Jz.jpg
View Quote
Good lord that M1 is beautiful. I really need to get one some day. On a side note I know how you feel, I'm building a MK18 Block 2, RECCE, MK17, Custom bolt gun, and comp gun's all at once. MK12 and KAC 11.5 CQB are done though (pending stamps).
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Good lord that M1 is beautiful. I really need to get one some day. On a side note I know how you feel, I'm building a MK18 Block 2, RECCE, MK17, Custom bolt gun, and comp gun's all at once. MK12 and KAC 11.5 CQB are done though (pending stamps).
View Quote
Unfortunately being exposed to clones, you realize if you do t get it when it's presented to you you may have to wait forever or may never get another chance, then you have 4 projects going that you can't afford to finish
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Unfortunately being exposed to clones, you realize if you do t get it when it's presented to you you may have to wait forever or may never get another chance, then you have 4 projects going that you can't afford to finish
View Quote
Clone therapy is a real struggle man
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#37]

don't forget your German cousin
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By handbook:
https://imageshack.com/i/pmciXRClp
don't forget your German cousin
View Quote
That's pretty awesome! How's the 416 barrel as far as accuracy goes?

And on another topic does anyone know if Leupold custom shop can turn a non-illuminated mk4 into an Illuminated version?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#39]

That's pretty awesome! How's the 416 barrel as far as accuracy goes?

And on another topic does anyone know if Leupold custom shop can turn a non-illuminated mk4 into an Illuminated version?
View Quote
I literally just emailed them about that. They got back to me within a day the last time I emailed them about something, so I might have an answer for you tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
I’ve had NF 2-5-10s X24,32,42.

42 is the best scope and the only one I own now.   I have an NX8 on the way but I’m not sure I’m going to like it for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Question on uppers. Digging through my parts, I noticed my Colt upper just has the C and splintered A forging. From reading this thread, it isn’t correct. What time period would this be from? Thx
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#42]
do people prefer a 100yd or a 200yd zero with their mil-r reticle NXS scopes?
Ive got the 2.5-10x24 now and cant stop admiring the x42, just wondering how much better it might be.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sevin8nin:
do people prefer a 100yd or a 200yd zero with their mil-r reticle NXS scopes?
Ive got the 2.5-10x24 now and cant stop admiring the x42, just wondering how much better it might be.
View Quote
100 yard. Better light transmission and eyebox on the x42. Plus parallax adjustment. Do whichever you like the most.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By unoigo:
Question on uppers. Digging through my parts, I noticed my Colt upper just has the C and splintered A forging. From reading this thread, it isn’t correct. What time period would this be from? Thx
View Quote
It’s Colt your GTG.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#45]
What's the word on slings?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#46]
What's the word on slings?
View Quote
Looks like BFG and some 3 points. Can’t get a good read on which models. The one photo looks like the clips on the BFG or VTAC.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

Looks like BFG and some 3 points. Can’t get a good read on which models. The one photo looks like the clips on the BFG or VTAC.
View Quote
BFG works
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Took you long enough to show up! That fist pic is an mk12 tho
View Quote
Woooops.  I took it off.  My bad.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Woooops.  I took it off.  My bad.  
View Quote
It's all good!
Page / 123
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top