Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
Badger would be clone correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By donkeykong:

What low pro gas blocks are you guys using under your KAC long FF RAS?

I have an inbound Lilja barrel and do not want to pin the gas block.
Badger would be clone correct.
I used a Badger with a WOA barrel on my Mod1 and had a BITCH of a time getting it to fit. I think I'm about to splurge on a 16.1" mid-length Douglas and will likely buy one of their low-pro blocks to match. Otherwise, I used a CMMG block on my mini-recce; no issues.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

I used a Badger with a WOA barrel on my Mod1 and had a BITCH of a time getting it to fit. I think I'm about to splurge on a 16.1" mid-length Douglas and will likely buy one of their low-pro blocks to match. Otherwise, I used a CMMG block on my mini-recce; no issues.
View Quote
About damn time. I think I may have seen one in the EE the other day FYI.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

About damn time. I think I may have seen one in the EE the other day FYI.
View Quote
He needs to go 15.1 but won’t listen!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]

He needs to go 15.1 but won’t listen!
View Quote
He's worried about being outcast from his own thread.

15.1 > 16 > 18
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Long collar or short collar for the AEM5?  And this would be a correct muzzle device for mounting the AEM5 correct?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003402277/smith-enterprise-vortex-flash-hider-1-2-28-thread-with-m22x10-outside-thread-for-ops-inc-suppressor-ar-15-matte
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
I had the same problem, it was so bad that I had to lap the inside of the gas block. Plus the badger inside the ff ras, I don't think you could squeeze a piece of paper between the bottom of the block and the rail. I started using PRI stainless lo-pro blocks. Tons of room and the are open front like the badger. They have a billboard logo on the side but it's nothing high temp black can't fix.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By donkeykong:

What low pro gas blocks are you guys using under your KAC long FF RAS?

I have an inbound Lilja barrel and do not want to pin the gas block.
View Quote
I'm just using a plain ole YHM low profile gas block on my Lilja Recce barrel.  But, my current rail is a Daniel Defense, so I can't say how the KAC FF RAS will fit.  That's my next step, so I'd like to know, too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
For BUIS what are we looking at? KAC only or is Troy ok?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GuynamedDave:
For BUIS what are we looking at? KAC only or is Troy ok?
View Quote
Kac black 99051 and a full size 200-600m rear
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Long collar or short collar for the AEM5?  And this would be a correct muzzle device for mounting the AEM5 correct?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003402277/smith-enterprise-vortex-flash-hider-1-2-28-thread-with-m22x10-outside-thread-for-ops-inc-suppressor-ar-15-matte
View Quote
I think that perhaps what is needed for the AEM5 is the two piece brake and collar set.  Most pics show the brake.  Not sure what collar length, but Allen Engineering or Adco would know.

https://adcofirearms.com/shop/categories/silencers/aemb-mount/
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Either collar will work buy you traditionally see the long on the Mk12 platform.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
I would go long, and the threaded vortex will work. That's what I'm running on mine
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cowboy:
I have some recce things here somewhere.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61763/F64853E9-7FE5-4731-82E1-DDC7208D8F95-504986.jpg
View Quote
Gonna need more photos of the middle rifle!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Man I wish I wouldn’t have found this thread.  Just put together a MK12 not too long ago now this build has started.  Any QD sling mounts that have been seen used?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Man I wish I wouldn’t have found this thread.  Just put together a MK12 not too long ago now this build has started.  Any QD sling mounts that have been seen used?
View Quote
Mainly just seen CQD front with the QD being used in a SOPMOD stock.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

Mainly just seen CQD front with the QD being used in a SOPMOD stock.
View Quote
The government issued stocks don't have the qd socket, but I think the KAC qd stock adapter thing has been seen in use. I could be completely wring about that though. CQD front and rear are for sure safe.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
Tell me about it. A NSW recce is about to sprout from a spare ergo grip in my spare parts bin. If I go 15.1 I’ll be relevant in 3 different recce threads
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:

The government issued stocks don't have the qd socket, but I think the KAC qd stock adapter thing has been seen in use. I could be completely wring about that though. CQD front and rear are for sure safe.
View Quote
Yeep your right, upon zoom in it's looped through the stock.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TheManimal:

Tell me about it. A NSW recce is about to sprout from a spare ergo grip in my spare parts bin. If I go 15.1 I’ll be relevant in 3 different recce threads
View Quote
Do I cut the barrel to 15" or 15.1 to get the can to match up to the rail? Is the .1" gonna make that big of a difference? I’ve seen both mentioned before...
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

Do I cut the barrel to 15" or 15.1 to get the can to match up to the rail? Is the .1" gonna make that big of a difference? I’ve seen both mentioned before...
http://i65.tinypic.com/oji3ph.jpg
View Quote
I think 15.1" is right, but if you send it to adco , they have done so many at this point all you have to do is tell them what you want to do and they got the rest.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#22]

I think 15.1" is right, but if you send it to adco , they have done so many at this point all you have to do is tell them what you want to do and they got the rest.
View Quote
This was my original plan but after the $200 to recontour and thread a barrel plus the original cost of the barrel I’m at the cost of a new Douglas. I was planning on getting a recce barrel from CLE and they said they could cut it to length from the beginning. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#23]

15.1 > 16 > 18
View All Quotes

He needs to go 15.1 but won't listen!

15.1 > 16 > 18
True, but I don't think I can stop the momentum at this point. I'm just not sure how goofy the big NF will look on one of these rigs, and I ain't about to give up that glass.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

This was my original plan but after the $200 to recontour and thread a barrel plus the original cost of the barrel I’m at the cost of a new Douglas. I was planning on getting a recce barrel from CLE and they said they could cut it to length from the beginning. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
View Quote
In that case go with 15.1, at the worst you will have a mm or two of space in between the end of the can and the front edge if the rail. Better to have a mm than not be able to fully tighten the can bc it contacts the rail.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
That's what I did with mine. Didn't even mention a number. They did the rest. Can barely see the gap on mine. ADCO never seems to amaze me, even with my crazy requests.

Asked them to do something similar with an AR57 which is a total redheaded stepchild of a rifle, and they did it without issue.

ADCO rules.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool, glad this thread was created. The RECCE pic thread pretty much just turned into another MK12 clone thread.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GHOS7:
Cool, glad this thread was created. The RECCE pic thread pretty much just turned into another MK12 clone thread.
View Quote
I was thinking the opposite... I didn’t like looking in the Recce thread and seeing dickmod/mlok 13” and 15” rails, 1-4s and 3gun rifles this is the thread I’ve wanted all along!

That said, my last 2 Recce rifles were not NSW Seal spec. Far from it. I had a Vortex 1-4 and 9” rails on one, Midwest rails and a 3-9x40 on the other..... I’m stoked to be building this one to spec including the can.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
And it was at that point you realized just how influential the Mk12 SPR program was to the recce concept.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I have access to two of these scopes for a possible clone build.  Anyone have an idea what would be a good price?

ScopePic by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/159629578@N03/]" />
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I was thinking the opposite... I didn’t like looking in the Recce thread and seeing dickmod/mlok 13” and 15” rails, 1-4s and 3gun rifles this is the thread I’ve wanted all along!

That said, my last 2 Recce rifles were not NSW Seal spec. Far from it. I had a Vortex 1-4 and 9” rails on one, Midwest rails and a 3-9x40 on the other..... I’m stoked to be building this one to spec including the can.
View All Quotes

I'm guilty of 1-4 dickmod tom foolery and non mil-spec shenanigans in the mini-recce and recce style threads. Granted, they are still within the limits of the rules laid out in the original posts. The more I see of @RTUtah and @cjwwd2 mil-spec type builds, the more displeased I become with my non-clone foolishness. I've been wandering around in the dark. For this build/thread, I've finally seen the light. Currently making plans to sell off some non-clone parts and get my 16 inch middy sent off to ADCO.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:32:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stoner63a] [#31]

View Quote
I had the same problem, I tried heating the block and freezing the bbl but No Joy.  Had to hone the block inside with emory cloth for about an hour until I could get it over the gas block journal.  And it still FVBARed the barrel Gunkote black finish, so I had to sand it down and resprayed and baked.

Mk12 Mod1 "Katniss" is getting fat, bitch needs to lose some weight. Didn't help that I have the 3.5-10x40 Illum M3 on the #36S-EX.  This may be the A Answer since Op Parts has 15 in stock and I have a C AF upper already.

Who is doing hi temp silver solder permanent brakes these days?  I don't want the AE brake pinned.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#32]
a recce is nothing but a fudd AR15. throw a hunting optic on a light er rifel with a free efloat barrel. that is a fudd gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:48:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#33]
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Oh yeah?   But your selector stops are shaved.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Another one for the homepage

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm guilty of 1-4 dickmod tom foolery and non mil-spec shenanigans in the mini-recce and recce style threads. Granted, they are still within the limits of the rules laid out in the original posts. The more I see of @RTUtah and @cjwwd2 mil-spec type builds, the more displeased I become with my non-clone foolishness. I've been wandering around in the dark. For this build/thread, I've finally seen the light. Currently making plans to sell off some non-clone parts and get my 16 inch middy sent off to ADCO.
View All Quotes

This. Everytime I see the mil-spec clones from these guys I can’t stand my non spec rifle. I’ve got KAC parts and colt parts inbound and filing form 1 for the AEM5 tomorrow. Barrel off to ADCO next week.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's my deal: the recce thread is a cool ass thread but you get some wildly different builds. From GWOT inspired builds to modern day "race" guns. They all fit the "recce" concept but from different time periods and "theaters" if you will. In my decade of being in the AR15 game I've been all over the place too with crazy billet uppers and lowers, tried more optics that I care to mention etc. The past few years I've turned into more of a traditionalist in that I appreciate parts from companies with some serious heritage in fighting bad dudes.

I'd personally appreciate a more generic GWOT build thread where you have nothing but various configurations of ass kicking rifles. I've never been a by the book cloner but I enjoy seeing period-eque builds. Quite frankly I get tired of seeing a ton of the same builds over and over again which is why the mysterious recce concept has always been far more interesting.

To get back on topic how about something that is ish...? Will remove if asked as I know I've deviated in a few areas. Need to take an updated picture as I've swapped the LT104 for a Badger recon mount and I'm strongly considering swapping the FF RAS for a PRI tube.

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Here's my deal: the recce thread is a cool ass thread but you get some wildly different builds. From GWOT inspired builds to modern day "race" guns. They all fit the "recce" concept but from different time periods and "theaters" if you will. In my decade of being in the AR15 game I've been all over the place too with crazy billet uppers and lowers, tried more optics that I care to mention etc. The past few years I've turned into more of a traditionalist in that I appreciate parts from companies with some serious heritage in fighting bad dudes.

I'd personally appreciate a more generic GWOT build thread where you have nothing but various configurations of ass kicking rifles. I've never been a by the book cloner but I enjoy seeing period-eque builds. Quite frankly I get tired of seeing a ton of the same builds over and over again which is why the mysterious recce concept has always been far more interesting.

To get back on topic how about something that is ish...? Will remove if asked as I know I've deviated in a few areas. Need to take an updated picture as I've swapped the LT104 for a Badger recon mount and I'm strongly considering swapping the FF RAS for a PRI tube.

https://i.imgur.com/tRg755C.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VRpvDC7.jpg
View Quote
I fully support everything in this post!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
Agreed. Different builds are indeed cool, I just tend to prefer the more mil-spec traditional guns. Anything based on the MK-12 is going to be sexy. I’ve never been a hardcore cloner but for this build I want it done right. Only thing I don’t plan on is the NF 2.5-10 because I just can’t do $1800 for a scope. Maybe some day but not now. I can get into a Leupy for 40-45% the cost, do the same thing, weigh less and get my build on the range long before I can save $1800+ shipping/tax and $$ for a mount.....

Also haven’t decided how I feel about $400 for KAC BUIS
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Agreed. Different builds are indeed cool, I just tend to prefer the more mil-spec traditional guns. Anything based on the MK-12 is going to be sexy. I’ve never been a hardcore cloner but for this build I want it done right. Only thing I don’t plan on is the NF 2.5-10 because I just can’t do $1800 for a scope. Maybe some day but not now. I can get into a Leupy for 40-45% the cost, do the same thing, weigh less and get my build on the range long before I can save $1800+ shipping/tax and $$ for a mount.....

View Quote
Just go without
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
You know you belong in here!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
The EE is your friend for optics. Save you quite a few bucks and minimize any losses should you not like it. Optics is also an area where I'm not afraid to deviate from the clone correct provided they are in the same "family".

In the NF 2.5-10 family I'm a HUGE fan of my x42 above. Very generous and forgiving to be behind without adding much weight/length over the x32.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#43]
The EE is your friend for optics. Save you quite a few bucks and minimize any losses should you not like it. Optics is also an area where I'm not afraid to deviate from the clone correct provided they are in the same "family".

In the NF 2.5-10 family I'm a HUGE fan of my x42 above. Very generous and forgiving to be behind without adding much weight/length over the x32.
View All Quotes

Agreed on the EE. I’m a longtime EEer and most if not all my optics have come from there. I just haven’t seen the 2.5-10 NF or MK4 illuminated for a great price.

Maybe when I’m ready to buy the glass I’ll post a WTB ad and see what happens. Right now I gotta get the form 1 filed, KAC rails and Colt upper ordered before they disappear. Then I’ll be saving for glass.

Now, if my house sells this summer as we plan on it, I will most likely splurge a bit and go for the NF 2.5-10 compact that I want....
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Agreed on the EE. I’m a longtime EEer and most if not all my optics have come from there. I just haven’t seen the 2.5-10 NF or MK4 illuminated for a great price.

Maybe when I’m ready to buy the glass I’ll post a WTB ad and see what happens. Right now I gotta get the form 1 filed, KAC rails and Colt upper ordered before they disappear. Then I’ll be saving for glass.

Now, if my house sells this summer as we plan on it, I will most likely splurge a bit and go for the NF 2.5-10 compact that I want....
View Quote
I paid $950 for my 2.5-10x32 and $1150 for my 2.5-10x24. $1800 is brand new price and I will never pay that. As for the KAC Buis the same thing never paid more than $250 for the set. Best part of cloning is the hunt for the part's, it took me over a year to build my MK12 and I'm still not done (AEM5 any day now). Take your time and look, but don't sell yourself short on the NF from price.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
https://i.imgur.com/tBDAkKn.jpg
View Quote
What MRDS mount is that? Have you tried to replace the top NF cap with it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#46]

What MRDS mount is that? Have you tried to replace the top NF cap with it?
View Quote
Insight MRDS mount, as seen on one of Dom Raso's rig's. Kinda hard to find just like the Wilcox mount.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#47]
UID labels came in, I think this is pretty much wrapped up for now until I can get a atpial-c and the aem5. Got some saving to do first

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:29:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GuynamedDave] [#48]
I paid $950 for my 2.5-10x32 and $1150 for my 2.5-10x24. $1800 is brand new price and I will never pay that. As for the KAC Buis the same thing never paid more than $250 for the set. Best part of cloning is the hunt for the part's, it took me over a year to build my MK12 and I'm still not done (AEM5 any day now). Take your time and look, but don't sell yourself short on the NF from price.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info and insight. In your opinion (and others here) is the NF 2.5-10x24 (compact?) worth the premium over the Leupold MRT 2.5-8?

For $1150 I would be very interested in the NF...

Another note I wanted to add: my best friend and I are on a trust together. He owns an AEM5 for his Mod 0, as such I have access to it. So after I get my upper assembled and glassed, I can take it out without the AEM5 while my own AEM5 is in jail!

Pic of Mod 0 (I painted it, Duracoat)

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eMc9001] [#49]

Thanks for the info and insight. In your opinion (and others here) is the NF 2.5-10x24 (compact?) worth the premium over the Leupold MRT 2.5-8?

For $1150 I would be very interested in the NF...

Another note I wanted to add: my best friend and I are on a trust together. He owns an AEM5 for his Mod 0, as such I have access to it. So after I get my upper assembled and glassed, I can take it out without the AEM5 while my own AEM5 is in jail!

Pic of Mod 0 (I painted it, Duracoat)

https://i.imgur.com/u3ByAUT.jpg
View Quote
It kinda depends. The Leupold is still a great scope but I do prefer the x24 over it for aesthetics (especially with the red dot on top) and it is compact but not by a whole lot. On my MK12 I went from the Leupold < 2.5-10x24 < 3.5-15x50 NXS F1. For this Recce I'm using the 2.5-10x32 and the larger eyebox make's a difference to me at least. I would suggest to try to find someone who has them local or nearby so you can see before shelling out that kind of money. It really is personal preference.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Insight MRDS mount, as seen on one of Dom Raso's rig's. Kinda hard to find just like the Wilcox mount.
View Quote
Yes, it will work with the nightforce rings as well as a top half. I just didn’t do it on mine because of where the rings are located and not being able to see elevation turret or the power button
Page / 123
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top