Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about an A.R.M.S. S.I.R. on a Windham, ME-made Bushmaster?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/001-685755.JPG
View Quote
That looks a little familiar.

Speaking of A.R.M.S., Dick Swan passed away a few months ago. Didn’t hear about it until recently.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Speaking of A.R.M.S., Dick Swan passed away a few months ago. Didn’t hear about it until recently.
View Quote
That was my inspiration.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I discovered this thread today and I am pleased ARMS #50 with the discontinued top rail.

Attachment Attached File

If any of you guys ever played Metal Gear Solid 4, you might recognize this build that emerged from the first few trailers in the early 2000’s. It should have an old Eotech 552 or a Comp M2 and the muzzle device should be an OTB mount for a suppressor with a Troy Medieval brake at the end, but I’ve changed it around for what I had on hand. It’s an old build, but it always stuck with me. I scrapped my Block II-ish for this and don’t regret it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The first upper I built, replaced my A2 HBAR that I had on this post ban bushy lower. Replaced the A2 stock with a VLTOR tube and stock kit. Also have a Tango Down VFG and bipod somewhere for this gun as well...

Built circa 2004....

DD M4 12.0

Modified PRI gas block

Denny's Guns 16" mid-length Recon Barrel on LMT M4 upper w/matched bolt

Trijicon TA-50 red chevron in Larue mount

Bushmaster (Windham, ME) lower, used to have an LMT 2 stage trigger, but replaced later with Geissele SD-C trigger

Tango Down grip

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That was my inspiration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my inspiration.
Darn it, you mean you aren't Travis?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The first upper I built, replaced my A2 HBAR that I had on this post ban bushy lower. Replaced the A2 stock with a VLTOR tube and stock kit. Also have a Tango Down VFG and bipod somewhere for this gun as well...

Built circa 2004....

DD M4 12.0

Modified PRI gas block

Denny's Guns 16" mid-length Recon Barrel on LMT M4 upper w/matched bolt

Trijicon TA-50 red chevron in Larue mount

Bushmaster (Windham, ME) lower, used to have an LMT 2 stage trigger, but replaced later with Geissele SD-C trigger

Tango Down grip

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49527/IMG_0123small_JPG-726683.JPG
View Quote
And that's still wicked cool.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Lumpy!

I beg forgiveness for the picture, but it proves that nothing really ever changes.....

Oh and duckbill grip on middle carbine

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How about an A.R.M.S. S.I.R. on a Windham, ME-made Bushmaster?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/001-685755.JPG
View Quote
Seen a picture of that rail (actually an airsoft copy) mounted on a Kel Tec SU-16.  Looked like the only way to add accessory real estate space to that rifle.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Pentagon Light, CMMG (remember tactical bacon?), and Sully stocks.

Honorable mention: OD green (in general)
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump to keep this from going archive.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I still think this stuff is cool
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Can someone tell me what in the actual eff this thing is...?

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can someone tell me what in the actual eff this thing is...?

https://i.ibb.co/y5D46ST/A293192-A-5-AE7-4-D8-B-92-A8-B304105-A1-F75.jpg
View Quote
According to the patent number, it is a "trigger actuator" LINK
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pentagon Light, CMMG (remember tactical bacon?), and Sully stocks.

Honorable mention: OD green (in general)
View Quote
I have one rifle with OD green furniture, but I’m old enough to be retro now.

I never did manage to open can and receive bacon. ??
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Love this thread!.. Here's some more SIR goodness. Direct mounting an OTAL, something else kids these days don't understand, 10-15 years before MLOK was cool!

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just looked, pricing doesn't seem too bad, I think the trouble is they only offer the kit.
While they offer the A2 stock as a kit or assembly.

I still use mine from time to time, but it just ends up being a placeholder until I get a deal on a carbine stock, then it goes back in the parts bin.
Everytime I try to build a rifle out of spare parts, I just end up with the same pile of spare parts by time I'm done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on the RRA entry,  night and day difference.  And pricing is crazy high.

I'm probably one of the few that like them. But then again, I can almost shoot with a CAR completely collapsed, short in arms.
I just looked, pricing doesn't seem too bad, I think the trouble is they only offer the kit.
While they offer the A2 stock as a kit or assembly.

I still use mine from time to time, but it just ends up being a placeholder until I get a deal on a carbine stock, then it goes back in the parts bin.
Everytime I try to build a rifle out of spare parts, I just end up with the same pile of spare parts by time I'm done.
I still have one of the RRA stocks, but I managed to lose the tube. I have thought about making a new tube since I can't find one for sale anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I thought I was the shit when I sprung for a couple of these

https://i.imgur.com/TZJk3I1.jpg
View Quote
Just bought one of these on the cheap along with a blem LMT A2 upper. Should be a fun build.

Now debating between the M&A CAR and Sully stock. Sully would be an easy choice if it weren’t so pricy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

CAR.
View Quote
Saw your CAR in the EE too. Might snatch it up if you happen to have an extra John Masen style recoil pad in the parts bin, Brownells has been OOS for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Z-M Weapons LR-300 was awesome looking, but seldom encountered.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The ones produced after Para bought them out didn't look as cool.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Where does all of this stuff end up?

If folks have it laying around in parts bins I would like to see some of it become available.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Back in the day this rail was as “Gucci” as they came.  Rifle length SIR? Better get a second mortgage...

I still think they’re sexy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I bit earlier than 2000s.

Just got a Aimpoint 2000

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Man this thread takes me back.

I'm still using a Badger Ordnance tactical latch on my rifle that sees the highest round count.

I actually like it quite a bit.  Enough that I might actually order another tac latch.  

I had a Trijicon Reflex sight.  The model with the big orange triangle.   I had both the cantilever mount for mounting it in front of a carry handle and later a GG&G accucam mount for a picatinny rail.

'Drop in' quad rails of various designs.

I still remember when ABC were the big three.

I even remember still seeing quite a few ACOGs at 3-gun matches(usually in one of those zippered scope coats to adjust fiber optic light intensity), before they were completely supplanted by the 1-4.  It has been a long time since I have seen an ACOG at a match like that.  Might be more popular at a run-n-gun due to the light weight.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My favorite early 2000s AR product that falls in the category of "what the heck should I do with them now" is the Buffer Technologies Mag Cinch:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/MagCinch-495248.JPG

In case you're not familiar with it, and can't tell through the plastic bag, it's a coupling system that holds two AR (or even AK) mags together with two plastic spacers in the middle and nylon straps to secure the magazines. They're actually still listed here at Midway (but discontinued) with a photo to give you a better idea. Here's a small photo showing them on the mags:

http://www.mwgco.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/BUFT-MC2.jpg

I never actually used them because I was convinced after testing one that I'd never be able to keep the straps tightened enough to be satisfied with them, but I honestly didn't give them much of a chance. I think I actually threw away a set a few months ago because I know that I'll never use them.

The old catalog from Buffer Technologies (now out of business) is probably a great collection of these types of early 2000s products.
View Quote
Oh man!   This sent me to the parts bin. I have one, still have two mags in it.  I never had any trouble cinching the straps down, it has been rock solid since I put it together, but the left over length of straps bugged me.  Their manual, if I recall correctly, suggesting cutting off the extra but I didn't want to have trouble putting it on another couple of mags if I ever damaged one.

So after it was cinched up I wrapped it in electrical tape.  

The problem with coupled mags is that under recoil, the top round in the uninserted magazine will walk forward.  It only takes a tiny bit of that walking and you can't insert the other mag until you reseat that round or strip it out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

DPMS Freefloat Handguards
View Quote
Still have one.  

They are kind of handy in that they can be easily removed from the barrel nut.  So if you want an extended free float handguard for an AR pistol that shrouds a silencer that is QD but you need to access the latch, they are workable.

They get hot with volume shooting if they shroud a silencer though.  Mine didn't come with a wrench, and the wrench that I bought didn't fit the holes very well.  I got tired of fucking with goofy and contrived ways to torque on a barrel nut so the last time I swapped it I said fuck the absence of scratches and just used a pipe wrench.    It is on a beater AR pistol so... whatever.

I won't buy a handguard now that requires a stupid wrench unless it makes sense because of the design like the Mega Monolithic.  If the barrel nut doesn't have wrench flats, I'm not buying it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Man this thread takes me back.

I'm still using a Badger Ordnance tactical latch on my rifle that sees the highest round count.

I actually like it quite a bit.  Enough that I might actually order another tac latch.  

I had a Trijicon Reflex sight.  The model with the big orange triangle.   I had both the cantilever mount for mounting it in front of a carry handle and later a GG&G accucam mount for a picatinny rail.

'Drop in' quad rails of various designs.
View Quote
Yup... 2005; when having a fully kitted AR also meant owning a 13 lb. rifle and sweet hernia.  Icy roads?  Not a problem, just place your 2005 RRA carbine over the rear axle and you’re G2G...
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone mentioned the Kitty Kat yet?

Might start one of these once I finish my SWAT build.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Oh man!   This sent me to the parts bin. I have one, still have two mags in it.  I never had any trouble cinching the straps down, it has been rock solid since I put it together, but the left over length of straps bugged me.  Their manual, if I recall correctly, suggesting cutting off the extra but I didn't want to have trouble putting it on another couple of mags if I ever damaged one.

So after it was cinched up I wrapped it in electrical tape.  

The problem with coupled mags is that under recoil, the top round in the uninserted magazine will walk forward.  It only takes a tiny bit of that walking and you can't insert the other mag until you reseat that round or strip it out.
View Quote
I never tried to join 2 mags.  Friends of mine in the Marines taped them together offset to be able to insert.  Did not make sense to add an extra 1.5 lbs plus 3-4 inches hanging below an M16A2 or an M203.  As much time as we spent crawling in the dirt, that open mag at the bottom did not work well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I still have one of the RRA stocks, but I managed to lose the tube. I have thought about making a new tube since I can't find one for sale anywhere.
View Quote
@103

One of these might do the trick: https://star15.com/parts-accessories/ace/buffer-tube-for-a2-buttstock-entry

Got a good deal on a Sully stock without tube and found these after a little digging. Sully and RRA Entry use the same tube so it should be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@103

One of these might do the trick: https://star15.com/parts-accessories/ace/buffer-tube-for-a2-buttstock-entry

Got a good deal on a Sully stock without tube and found these after a little digging. Sully and RRA Entry use the same tube so it should be good to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@103

Thank you, sir!
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:30:56 AM EDT
[#37]
SGW/OLY lower from 87' with A1 PG, ambi safety, flat top upper with 16" Hvy bbl OLY 1:9, KAC RIS handguard and VFG, clobbered together SF light mounted with a Weaver ring, GG&G BUIS IIRC, Colt N1 stock w/ two position receiver extension and ACOG TA01NSN.  Colt side sling swivel attached to FSB.  This picture take Apr 04'

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My rifle rack above my desk in Balad, Iraq 05-06'.  TA01NSN ACOG on my M4A1 with ARMS SIR 50C, 40L BUIS, SF light, TD VFG, HK mag and LMT SOPMOD stock.
Attachment Attached File

Other guns are Colt M16A2, Bulgarian (Circle 10) AKM with SF railed handguard with KAC VFG and M68 Comp2.  Iraqi Tabouk DMR semi auto rifle with adjustable rear sight.  Rifle mags loaded with Mk262 77 gr OTM.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I've still got one of my early "combat quality" custom builds from about 2007 or so.

Aimpoint Comp M2, picatinny "quad rail", Surefire M900A vert grip/flashlight combo, original Magpul FDE mags and furniture, DD M4 profile barrel:
are some of the features from back in the day during the beginning/middle of the GWOT.

For those of you not into ARs at the time, or new to ARs around the 2006-2008 time period, that was when a lot of people were mounting every damn part they could to their guns and 8-10 pound ARs were fairly common.

Lots of Tapco-fucked shit to be seen then as well, as the Magpul product line was not as prodigious and diverse as it it today.

ETA: M4 profile barrels were all the rage.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#39]

CDNN still has about a dozen of these old Surefire M25s for $50.00.

@Postal0311 posted a review on LooseRounds.com, looks like a nifty bit of history.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Z-M Weapons LR-300 was awesome looking, but seldom encountered.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/13082/501C2948-2791-4960-8220-A51D3CD5FD0E_jpeg-804726.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/13082/FCDD2A0B-55C1-424D-A249-761CE36DDF4D_jpeg-804727.JPG

The ones produced after Para bought them out didn't look as cool.
View Quote
Too bad Para ones didn't get marketed well
It was actually a nice shooting rifle, surprisingly low felt recoil.

Vey cool design worthy of being reintroduced
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Work in progress atm.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I discovered this thread today and I am pleased ARMS #50 with the discontinued top rail.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455660/3DBA81F8-1ADC-4F96-B618-A7DB60608974_jpeg-716074.JPG

If any of you guys ever played Metal Gear Solid 4, you might recognize this build that emerged from the first few trailers in the early 2000’s. It should have an old Eotech 552 or a Comp M2 and the muzzle device should be an OTB mount for a suppressor with a Troy Medieval brake at the end, but I’ve changed it around for what I had on hand. It’s an old build, but it always stuck with me. I scrapped my Block II-ish for this and don’t regret it

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455660/CECF7BE9-E184-4EC8-95A6-66BC9EA1238F_jpeg-716103.JPG
View Quote
I love this mgs4 build so much!
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I love this mgs4 build so much!
View Quote
Thank you! I ended up scrapping that build to put together a recce, but I was able to get a more correct setup for it :)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:58:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thank you! I ended up scrapping that build to put together a recce, but I was able to get a more correct setup for it :)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455660/7DA9BB57-76CE-48CC-8320-2C309BEC6F15_jpeg-843569.JPG
View Quote
Oh man I’d love to have one like that!  Great job!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:15:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Has anyone mentioned the Kitty Kat yet?

https://i.imgur.com/mqFj1WQ.jpg

Might start one of these once I finish my SWAT build.
View Quote
When you want the indoor range entirely to yourself.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oh man I’d love to have one like that!  Great job!
http://i67.tinypic.com/201l5x.jpg
View Quote
HNNNNGGGG, class BHD builds get my juices flowing D: one of these days, I gotta put one of those together, I’ll use yours for a template hehe
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Oldest pic I have of one of my AR15s. It was 2005 or 2006.

Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Hakko Multi Reticle Red Dot

Surefire M25 with tape switch

GG&G sling point

Vortex Flash Hider
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn that looks good @Miami_JBT. I grabbed one of those Surefire M25 kits from CDNN, here’s a WIP pic:

Surefire 660
Surefire M25
A.R.M.S. #51
Bushnell Holosight
Sully Stock
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Damn that looks good @Miami_JBT. I grabbed one of those Surefire M25 kits from CDNN, here’s a WIP pic:

https://i.imgur.com/MGCBcTb.jpg

Surefire 660
Surefire M25
A.R.M.S. #51
Bushnell Holosight
Sully Stock
View Quote
Oh man... that is super dope.

Those holosights are pretty good! I have one on my Bushmaster M17S
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top