BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
VFGs work better if you are in positions, cover and corners where you actually have to worry about shooting someone and getting shot back...   angled handguards, hand stops and generally running around in wide open territory with your support hand stretched out as far as freakin possible are great in 3 gun games.

I used to make fun of the old timers for having a bunch of outdated shit, but now that I am getting old I am seeing the same happen to me.  Who wants to replace a bunch of optics when the old ones work fine...

I like my Aimpoint's to have 4MOA and that's the way I like it!!!   and no sissy range finder crap blazoned all over the recticle, granddad had 2 perpendicular lines crossing down the middle and that's all he needed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VFGs work better if you are in positions, cover and corners where you actually have to worry about shooting someone and getting shot back...   angled handguards, hand stops and generally running around in wide open territory with your support hand stretched out as far as freakin possible are great in 3 gun games.

I used to make fun of the old timers for having a bunch of outdated shit, but now that I am getting old I am seeing the same happen to me.  Who wants to replace a bunch of optics when the old ones work fine...

I like my Aimpoint's to have 4MOA and that's the way I like it!!!   and no sissy range finder crap blazoned all over the recticle, granddad had 2 perpendicular lines crossing down the middle and that's all he needed.
View Quote
I know dozens of active duty soldiers that would disagree with you, AFGs are used for plenty of serious shooting.
In fact I have seen more of those used the last 3 years of my career when I was active duty over VFGs.

But this is the early 2000s thread so AFGs don't count here since they did not exist yet!
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Heavy as shit ARMS rail/handguards.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
S.I.R. me cap'n!

Was just telling another friend/member the other day how I still want an S.I.R. rail (as I have for years) just haven't ever come across one for the right deal/trade.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]
S.I.R. rails were never popular, despite ARMS' full page ad I recall from several popular gun rags.

They still made the best A2 carry handle rail (#2), M14 base (#18), and their #17 was extremely versatile.

It was super cool when I got my Surefire M952 and M962 with the #17 QD base. I could detach the lights in the daytime to save weight. Awesome.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
S.I.R. me cap'n!

Was just telling another friend/member the other day how I still want an S.I.R. rail (as I have for years) just haven't ever come across one for the right deal/trade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
S.I.R. me cap'n!

@MILSPEC556

I have one I might be willing to let go.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

S.I.R. me cap'n!

View Quote
Pair a S.I.R. with a PRI folding front sight and you’ll have my dream setup of yesteryear.

This thread has me feeling nostalgic as heck, already bought a Lone Star grip for my RECCE thanks to you guys.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pair a S.I.R. with a PRI folding front sight and you'll have my dream setup of yesteryear.

This thread has me feeling nostalgic as heck, already bought a Lone Star grip for my RECCE thanks to you guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

S.I.R. me cap'n!

Pair a S.I.R. with a PRI folding front sight and you'll have my dream setup of yesteryear.

Lone Star grips with Ergo's The Gapper is the perfect grip setup for an AR.

Edit.... frakking auto correct. It is "THE GAPPER, not THE TAPPER".
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lone Star grips with Ergo's The Tapper is the perfect grip setup for an AR.
View Quote
That’s the plan, combined with PRI’s 12” forend, it’ll be a mix of old school and other cutting edge parts that have been a blast to piece together.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Just found my old Hakko Multi-Reticle Red Dot.

Still works great.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have the gapper on all my lowers right.  Somebody on here sent me one and I found out that it is GREAT.  So I bought a few more.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

After having owned what seems like nearly every flipping variation of AFG, VFG, short vfg, Hand Stop, etc... my fav is the KAC VFG style.  For the exact same reasons as you.
View Quote
Because it's round, the donkey dick let's you hold it from any angle, unlike most of the other stuff that forces you to use it one way.  That why I like the KAC best.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#13]

CAV ARMS Baby!

This is one sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://s22.postimg.org/dif2e1vk1/IMG_0569.jpg

CAV ARMS Baby!

This is one sweet shooter.
View Quote
Those may regain some popularity thanks to InRange TV’s ‘What Would Stoner Do’ project. Not sure I completely agree with their build so far but I’ve regained interest in that lower.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup, never thought it would sunset either.  And 6.8SPC!  I remember pouring over articles to learn about the new “super cartridge”.

For me, I remember thinking at the time that the RRA DEA carbine was the f*cking ultimate.

GUNS Magazine DEA Carbine Feature

Now looking at it, my favorite part about the article is where they say ”It was a foregone conclusion that ‘stuff’ was going to be hung on the gun”...  
View Quote
Damn. I've been unknowingly building a DEA carbine and didn't even know it - GG&G rear sight, non-FF quad rail and all.

VFGs were mandatory, as were quad rails. Tritium sights all the things!
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pair a S.I.R. with a PRI folding front sight and you’ll have my dream setup of yesteryear.

View Quote
I have a picture of that I still sometimes use as wallpaper on my laptop. It was my goal for a while but by time that build got underway I ended up with DD 9.0 and the PRI flip up. That upper cost me a grand. I could do better now with a 400 dollar PSA upper.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’m transitioning back to vfgs on almost everything even if I just use them as a hand stop I just find it suits me better
View Quote
I just took a hands to off Las night and replaced it a VFG, because I could never grip it right.
Speaking of which, it was on a Troy MRF-C rail. That bitch is wide.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  Those may regain some popularity thanks to InRange TV’s ‘What Would Stoner Do’ project. Not sure I completely agree with their build so far but I’ve regained interest in that lower.
View Quote
So popular they're out of stock for all but the green, pink, and the fully populated black receivers:

http://www.gwacsarmory.com/cav-15-mkii-ar15-polymer-stripped-lower-receiver-zombie-green-ar-15/

$129 stripped, zombie green or pink @ this time, $225 for a fully populated black lower.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I have no interest in that, but to each their own.

When I want to shoot a plastic assault rifle, I grab my G36 or F2000.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  I have no interest in that, but to each their own.

When I want to shoot a plastic assault rifle, I grab my G36 or F2000.
View Quote
Probably the lightest receiver/stock combo for the money.  I have Sabre Defense S/N 00001.  I want to put something light up top.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

S.I.R. me cap'n!

Kind Sir I must disagree. The perfect old school AR grip is the Duckbill. I have them on a number of rifles.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You were a God if you had a Pre Ban

You were cool if you had:

Flat top uppers
M4 profile barrels
Anything that had “M4” associated with it.
Pinned collapsible stock
Trijicon ACOG or Reflex

You were gay if you had a barrel with no muzzle device  attached.

Colt side sling adapter
JP Enetrprise trigger
Accuracy speaks trigger
Piston driven upper for sale in Brownell's catalog can't remember the guys name
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One of the things that I remember was guys chopping a removal carry handle to make their own BUIS.
View Quote
I did it.  Sent it out to Ted Yost he did a beautiful job too leaving the rear sight and affixing flat top picatinny rail...
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Soon....

Gonna get a lightweight 20" profile barrel.

Link Posted: 4/7/2018 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where can these be sourced?
I've not seen them and I NEED.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind Sir I must disagree. The perfect old school AR grip is the Duckbill. I have them on a number of rifles.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6163/Installed-506506.JPG
@Tigwelder1971

(Warning: 1990s era web site ahead)
http://duckbillgrip.com/

Brownells used to sell them, but they only seem to be available from the manufacturer now. Good review here.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm going through the late 90s/early 00s videos from Gunsite and Lenny Magill. Trip to the past. 16", pencil profile barrels, 60 Lumen Xexon Bulbs, fixed A2 Stocks, and chopped carry handles with grafted rails on the receiver to co-witness Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6163/Installed-506506.JPG
Hey Tig, sorry I haven't been back to this thread lately.

I see someone else has given you the website. They are definitely old school but seems to me they tick off all the right boxes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Those may regain some popularity thanks to InRange TV’s ‘What Would Stoner Do’ project. Not sure I completely agree with their build so far but I’ve regained interest in that lower.
View Quote
@ed_victory. Thanks for that, been watching it now. neat idea.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  @ed_victory. Thanks for that, been watching it now. neat idea.
View Quote
Was sighting in my son's .22 LR I built on a Sabre Defense/Cav Arms Mk2 this weekend, and it's light.  Threw my .223 upper on it, and actually noticed the recoil of Wolf .223.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#35]
@Tigwelder1971, have you received the Duckbill yet? And regarding Redi-Mag gaskets, bicycle inner tube might work in a pinch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Anybody have a source for the Redi Mag mounting gaskets?  I need a replacement set and haven't heard back from the manufacturer yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Behold my early 2000s carbine! (Minus the Magpul Furniture)

https://i.imgur.com/axskSL7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TDKe7zs.jpg

Millet Red Dot, Ancient Surefire Weapon Light, VFG, A2 rear sight, and a Chopped Redi-Mag.
Anybody have a source for the Redi Mag mounting gaskets?  I need a replacement set and haven't heard back from the manufacturer yet.
@Tigwelder1971

Bike inner tube works real well for that. Just get a couple of pieces and trim them and overlap until you get the desired thickness.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Does the carbon 15 count?

Also my old Olympic Arms Sporter. 16" carbine non-threaded with goofy thumb hole stock like a mak90. The original $500 ar-15.

What about milled out lightweight lowers? 7.5" kitty-kats. 7.62x39 AR's.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I still really like VFG's. More use as a handstop or the thumbreak. I tried going to slim, and I found out just why I quickly went to the VFG.

Has anyone mentioned clamp onto the buffer tube sling mounts yet? Man that was dumb. And single point slings, ick.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Because of this thread I now own x2 Lone Star A2 grips. I thought they were awesome at first, but more I train with it more I dislike. Ohh well, still looks cool in my opinion
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@Miami_JBT

Thanks man.  Ranger bands work also. And this was posted by another member  ( @5pt56) here in the Block 1.5 thread:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/KaOEgCx-520009.jpg
View Quote
If you contact Boonie Packer, they will send out replacements for free.

However, it's not the right and left rubber pieces, but it's the rubber band style one that wraps around the entire lower.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I still really like VFG's. More use as a handstop or the thumbreak. I tried going to slim, and I found out just why I quickly went to the VFG.

Has anyone mentioned clamp onto the buffer tube sling mounts yet? Man that was dumb. And single point slings, ick.
View Quote
I have a clamp on sling mount from GG&G and it works like a charm.

Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Because of this thread I now own x2 Lone Star A2 grips. I thought they were awesome at first, but more I train with it more I dislike. Ohh well, still looks cool in my opinion
View Quote
@crazysarge16

I love mine.... sorry they don't fit you right.
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top