Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
This was the time frame where I had a company building ARs here in Houston.  Seemed everyone wanted an AR that looked like this:

Attachment Attached File

I built hundreds and re-barreled even more...
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This was the time frame where I had a company building ARs here in Houston.  Seemed everyone wanted an AR that looked like this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55187/RFTL-BULL20-494911.JPG

View Quote
Well, I love it from the barrel nut back.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
I never could get into the bull barrel guns... too damn heavy, and worst of all, barrel heavy.  Fuhgeddabout shooting it any way but off of a bipod/ bags.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I never could get into the bull barrel guns... too damn heavy, and worst of all, barrel heavy.  Fuhgeddabout shooting it any way but off of a bipod/ bags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you on that. Just the whole barrel/forearm/gas block setup gives my eyeballs the beetus.

But at least its an M16A4 clone from the bbl nut back.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
These were taken not long after the AWB sunset; the Aimpoint Comp M3 had just come out in 2005 and, of course, I've got it mounted on the Colt 6520 with the finest ARMS carry handle mount ;p.

The second photo marks one of the few times I used the Beta Mag that I went crazy and bought after the sunset; I'd also ordered like 3 cases of D&H gray teflon magazines and was finally able to put a waffle stock on my ban era Colt Match Target Lightweight, loL.

Ah, good times :D.

Link Posted: 3/26/2018 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]
This is turning into more of a what I don't like versus actual stupid and funny parts.

HBAR isn't a fad nor is it stupid. SPR types are still fun and useful. I love AR15's of all types. So much fun from retro, hunting, target shooting, sporting events such as two gun or three gun, and defensive purposes.

I think some of you may be too serious at times. Go out and shoot to vent whatever is bothering you.

Stop being nancies and have some fun in here
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is turning into more of a what I don't like versus actual stupid and funny parts.

HBAR isn't a fad nor is it stupid. SPR types are still fun and useful. I love AR15's of all types. So much fun from retro, hunting, target shooting, sporting events such as two gun or three gun, and defensive purposes.

I think some of you may be too serious at times. Go out and shoot to vent whatever is bothering you.

View Quote
My 11.5 SBR is a HBAR.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How will you ever keep up with the "In" crowd using what you like??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them lonely unassembled lowers probably. It's the reason they are there, waiting for something new
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good answer.

Lowers breed in dark places and spawn complete rifles. Everybody knows this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them lonely unassembled lowers probably. It's the reason they are there, waiting for something new
Good answer.

Hell, sometimes just a spare barrel or safety selector spawns complete rifles.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good answer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good answer.

Everytime the safe gets opened,it's almost as if I can hear them crying out,  "Witness me! I'm worthy!"

Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're a cloner. It doesn't take much to set you guys off

I'm kicking myself for selling an old carry handle cantilever Aimpoint mount. But I'm torn though; do I want an M4 1996 clone, or something else like a KISS M4 with just double heat shields and just a removable carry handle
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm kicking myself for selling an old carry handle cantilever Aimpoint mount. But I'm torn though; do I want an M4 1996 clone, or something else like a KISS M4 with just double heat shields and just a removable carry handle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I would do is clone your service rifle (to the point where the only parts that is clone would be lower receiver and FCG)

THEN, assuming this wasn't a late 90s M4 clone, what I would do is build an M4A1 clone with a 14.5 Colt SOCOM, a KAC M4 RAS, and a remove able carry handle. (Weaponlight and KAC broomhandle optional)

Essentially a KISS M4A1 with a bare M4 RAS just in case you take it somewhere you need a weaponlight
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55187/RFTL-BULL20-494911.JPG

View Quote
I still have my "varminter" upper that was built for a friend by someone at Armalite in '98.   With a Simmons 6.5-20, I whacked many prairie poodles with it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#20]
@GSL this base rifle right here. But with remove able carry handle instead of Matech. N marked CAR, Colt waffle, or gen 1 SOPMOD.

All Colt parts.

Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I actually just wrapped up building a clone to my Ban era Bushmaster Shorty AK. Who knew it would be so hard.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I actually just wrapped up building a clone to my Ban era Bushmaster Shorty AK. Who knew it would be so hard.
View Quote
Bushy AK?
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@GSL this base rifle right here. But with remove able carry handle instead of Matech. N marked CAR, Colt waffle, or gen 1 SOPMOD.

All Colt parts.

https://i.imgur.com/lNAmfjJ.jpg
View Quote
Nice. I cloned three of the service rifles that I carried. A1, A4, and the M4. Decided not to do the A2, I hated it then and I still do just as much now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice. I cloned three of the service rifles that I carried. A1, A4, and the M4. Decided not to do the A2, I hated it then and I still do just as much now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All Colt parts.

https://i.imgur.com/lNAmfjJ.jpg
I hear ya. I prefer the A4 for 20". Which is why when I had an A2 upper, I turned it into a 727 clone.
(A2 upper'd carbine)
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tango Down. Then the resulting zip-tie work around for getting it on the rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ergo.

What was the plastic VFG  with the 2 spring loaded plungers that slid on to a rail?
People bitched about them not fitting and the manufacturer bitched about out of spec rails.
Yup, I had an original I just sold off.  The rail spec did make a difference as
It fit better on some than others.

It still was a bitch and chewed up my finger tips trying to move or change it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had a few. I bought the second because I thought that the first was out of spec. Nope. After umpteen frustrating tries with both, I said F it, not worth the heart attack
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ergo.

What was the plastic VFG  with the 2 spring loaded plungers that slid on to a rail?
People bitched about them not fitting and the manufacturer bitched about out of spec rails.

Getting one of those on a DD RIS II was still one of the hardest installs I've done to this day. Still needed to use a hammer even with the zip ties!
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bushy AK?
View Quote
Bushmaster 14.5" Heavy BBl with and AK74 style comp pinned and welded to the end.
Mine is still more or less box stock.
During the ban, I had an RRA shorty stock on it. A carbine length stock that looked like a short A1/A2 stock.
When the ban expired, I put a commercial spec carbine receiver extension on it and an M4 waffle stock.
I have a mil-spec RE and magpul MOE stock to go on it one of theses days.
But it's still the same upper it ever had.

I do have a bushy light weight 16" bbl in the spares bin, but I can't bring myself to change it all the way over.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyway, I remember buying a Bushmaster around 1994 that had a 11.5 barrel with pinned 5.5" flash suppressor.
View Quote
The only thing really wrong with them is that they're not closer to the originals.
That was the one thing that kept me from ever buying one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
CAA stock saddle.  It fit over the standard M4 stock and gave a LMT SOPMOD appearance. This was actually a well spent $20.

VFG on a section rail screwed to the standard handguard.  Nothing beats a loose VFG (because its attached to a plastic handguard held in place with the D-Ring).

Tactical latch installed in a standard charging handle.  I still use these.

Crappy flip up rear sights (ARMS #40, original blocky GG&G, goofy YHM with knurled attachment knob, etc).  We all loved those large, obtrusive sights that had a tendency to lose their detent power.

SureFire M500 Dedicated Light Handguard (looked like a standard M4 handguard but with a SureFire INCAN light molded in). I felt like I was in T2 when I ran one of these.  It just had that "90's cool" factor ...

Complicated 3 Point Sling system with enough webbing to outfit a dozen rifles.  Good stuff if you like your gun hung up on your gear, door knob, testicles, etc.

and my personal favorite stupid old AR fad ........

(drum roll please)

HEAVY BARRELS
View Quote
LOL...  CAA stock saddle...  3-Point Sling... I’m pretty sure I’ve owned everything you mentioned and still run some of it.  

One of the few “super gadgets” from that time I’ve never owned would be Surefire M900 vert-grip/light.  Not sure if that’s early enough to include in my original criteria though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I found something pretty stupid. Never picked up but it's worth the laugh:

One is none and two is one origin

Pigtail gas tubes, that was a funny one too.

Can someone post that pic, something went wrong onnmy mobile perhaps
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
MUST SEE NOW!

@Colt_sporter
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bushy AK?
View Quote
One o' these.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I found something pretty stupid. Never picked up but it's worth the laugh:

https://goo.gl/images/nBGEcc

One is none and two is one origin

Pigtail gas tubes, that was a funny one too.

Can someone post that pic, something went wrong onnmy mobile perhaps
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#36]
My favorite early 2000s AR product that falls in the category of "what the heck should I do with them now" is the Buffer Technologies Mag Cinch:

Attachment Attached File

In case you're not familiar with it, and can't tell through the plastic bag, it's a coupling system that holds two AR (or even AK) mags together with two plastic spacers in the middle and nylon straps to secure the magazines. They're actually still listed here at Midway (but discontinued) with a photo to give you a better idea. Here's a small photo showing them on the mags:

I never actually used them because I was convinced after testing one that I'd never be able to keep the straps tightened enough to be satisfied with them, but I honestly didn't give them much of a chance. I think I actually threw away a set a few months ago because I know that I'll never use them.

The old catalog from Buffer Technologies (now out of business) is probably a great collection of these types of early 2000s products.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My favorite early 2000s AR product that falls in the category of "what the heck should I do with them now" is the Buffer Technologies Mag Cinch:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/MagCinch-495248.JPG

In case you're not familiar with it, and can't tell through the plastic bag, it's a coupling system that holds two AR (or even AK) mags together with two plastic spacers in the middle and nylon straps to secure the magazines. They're actually still listed here at Midway (but discontinued) with a photo to give you a better idea. Here's a small photo showing them on the mags:

http://www.mwgco.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/BUFT-MC2.jpg

I never actually used them because I was convinced after testing one that I'd never be able to keep the straps tightened enough to be satisfied with them, but I honestly didn't give them much of a chance. I think I actually threw away a set a few months ago because I know that I'll never use them.

The old catalog from Buffer Technologies (now out of business) is probably a great collection of these types of early 2000s products.
View Quote
I have a set.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:13:56 AM EDT
[#38]
KAC rails being best, ARMS rails being best, Larue rails being best, the ABC's being best (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt), RRA two stage triggers, the entire company Tango Down, Aimpoints bigger than ACOG's, TA01 ACOG's being relevant for anything, M4 profile barrels being the best, ARMS mounts (are they still in business), people paying $250 for SOPMOD stocks, EOTechs considered combat worthy, single point slings, and last but not least.....

The AR15.com logo had a penis on it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a set.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a set.
I bought a set during the ban that came with 2 preban magazines already set up. Like the other poster I knew there was no way I would ever get the straps right on my own. I upgraded the mags with magpul parts but it's been on bedside duty since I bought it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I bought a set during the ban that came with 2 preban magazines already set up. Like the other poster I knew there was no way I would ever get the straps right on my own. I upgraded the mags with magpul parts but it's been on bedside duty since I bought it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a set.
Mine worked right and never gave me issued. Especially when used with American made Thermolds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Cav Arm One Piece Polymer Lowers.

Period photos of the MkI Lowers.

Here's mine. It is a Cav MkII lower.

Always lusted after one....

Oleg Volk's ads were a big part of why.

Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#42]

US Made Thermold mags were something folks wanted. They were quality mags of the 90s. They got a bad rap when Thermold were made in Canada for their military. The Canadian made ones were shit since the Canadians used a different polymer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Remember this stuff.
Surefire M500AB

Surefire M900

Crappy Carry Handle Scope Rails

Thermold/Thermelts

PSG1 AR Grips

Carbon 15

Magpuls

DPMS Freefloat Handguards

Badger Ordnance Latch Might be more mid to late 2000s not sure.

Beta C Mag
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I remember when that was first posted here.

I built my first AR in 2004, and it was a M4A1 clone. They were referred to as "M4gery" by most here at that time. Bushmaster barrel, detachable carry handle, and Colt M4 (double heat shield ) hand guards. I knew I couldn't afford a good optic at first. Most of the parts I bought for the build were used. I think I had $530 in that base rifle.

I later bought a new Hakko Tacpoint Blue Ring (Aimpoint ML2 clone) from CDNN, and mounted it in what was definitely an airsoft high ring (6-screw) so it would lower-third cowitness with my ASA copy of a GG&G M.A.D. BUIS.
I did much reading here deciding on that setup. The reviews were favorable. (Not the high ring. I took a chance and ordered it directly from Hong Kong, along with some other crap.)

Mine didn't have blue paint in the markings, but the blue ring bothered me, so I carefully covered it with flat black Testors model paint. I was very pleased with its performance and it held zero just fine. Only the switch and covers felt cheap.
The next upgrade was a YHM 2-piece quad rail (with KAC VFG and Magpul XT covers). This was before RIS/RAS were all over eBay for $100. I actually got that Bushy M4 barrel from eBay. Someone had messed up and listed it as a M5 15" barrel. I was the only bidder.

I still have most of that AR, but it now has a real CompM2 in a GG&G cantilever, KAC RAS, real M.A.D. and PVS-14 QD. These upgrades were 2006/2007 timeframe, when I could finally afford a PVS-14 and other fun toys.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Badger Ordnance Latch Might be more mid to late 2000s not sure.
View Quote
I deployed with one of those on my rifle in March 2005, so I think they were introduced a couple years before that. I installed it on a DPMS steel charging handle - reduced the flex from the side pressure on the latch, but caused excessive wear on the inside of the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Oh yeah, the tacpoint.  Twas an argument or two on here about them........  I never did get one myself.  Should have.  I had a thermold and I think it actually worked.  But I have no clue what happened to it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for info Scout! I know I got one on about 2007 ish.

Thermolds fed ok. I think the Canadian ones were the ones that had all kinds of issues. I never had any misfeeds with the few I had in Colt Ars. They sure were ugly though! Most my shooting was National Match with HBAR with 20 RD USGI mags early 2000s.

I remember seeing Magpul in Colorado at the gun shows with tables of the early Magpuls funny to see how much great stuff they make now!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I really wish the Z-M Weapons LR-300 was still produced. IIRC I remember always seeing CDNN adds of the more updated Para Ordinance version for a while years ago but the original one always has a special place in my heart.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  Remember this stuff.
Surefire M500AB
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_4085.jpg
View Quote
Saw one of those in the box for sale in a Baghdad PX in 2011.
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top