Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 7:58:40 PM EDT
Has anyone drilled a hole in the side back of their raptor CH to vent gas for a suppressor? Did it work well?  I have a freedom bone CH and it was very disappointing. I've been looking at my raptor and comparing it to my griffin snach. It looks do-able.

Edited for clarification
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd go with this modification long before drilling a hole. I've performed this mod to all of my charging handles....LINK
View Quote
thanks for the link! The funny thing is I have some of the high temp silicon that I bought for trying to seal the area around a gas block (long story involving a piston AR). I am curious to see if anyone drilled a gas vent on their raptor CH. I have been looking it over and it seems possible.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Has anyone drilled a hole in the back of their raptor CH to vent gas for a suppressor? Did it work well?  I have a freedom bone CH and it was very disappointing. I've been looking at my raptor and comparing it to my griffin snach. It looks do-able.
View Quote

I've heard of people drilling a hole in the side just in front of where the handle lever is attached, on the ejection side of the rifle, directing gases to the right
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
OP stated that he already has one of those
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP stated that he already has one of those
View Quote
My bad.

@OP: Why not just get another snach then? Maybe even sell the raptor to fund it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've heard of people drilling a hole in the side just in front of where the handle lever is attached, on the ejection side of the rifle, directing gases to the right
View Quote
Have you seen it for yourself or photos? I had heard of people doing it but never saw it first hand.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Already have one or I think I have two hahaha. I really like my raptor so I'm been pondering this idea for a mod.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My bad.

@OP: Why not just get another snach then? Maybe even sell the raptor to fund it.
View Quote
I like the raptor design more
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I was going to drill the relief hole in my Raptor but decided to try the sealant first. It actually worked pretty well firing suppressed on FA. It seemed to work as well as my Gasbusters and BCM charging handles but I don't know how it will hold up in the long run.

I still may try drilling the relief hole on one of my GI CH's.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was going to drill the relief hole in my Raptor but decided to try the sealant first. It actually worked pretty well firing suppressed on FA. It seemed to work as well as my Gasbusters and BCM charging handles but I don't know how it will hold up in the long run.

I still may try drilling the relief hole on one of my GI CH's.
View Quote
If you do post a photo. I've seen photos but they are BCM CHs no raptors
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

thanks for the link! The funny thing is I have some of the high temp silicon that I bought for trying to seal the area around a gas block (long story involving a piston AR). I am curious to see if anyone drilled a gas vent on their raptor CH. I have been looking it over and it seems possible.
View Quote
Not the Raptor but I did this to a cheap CH I had lying around. Also filled a small portion of it with siliconeso the gas would be readily directed out. After a few rounds, the gas is still in the vicinity of your face so the hole only prolongs gas face. I now is a SI extended CH with a thick O-ring gorilla glued in the arch which has worked great. Can be done to any CH
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I may try high temp silicone with my Raptor, but will go with black rather than red.  Permatex, 3M, Loctite and others make a black formulation good for 600 degrees F.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#15]
What about this?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What about this?
View Quote
The FA vent is a great idea. The only problem is you lose the FA function or if your upper does not have one. i wonder if you could make one that will function and give you the gas vent. I'm going to look at one of my extra milspec FA and see if it might be possible. thanks for the idea!
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah, I didn't use red either. Besides it's easier to find Black Silicone.
View Quote
Black looks better on the rifle anyway
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Silicone mod, take a little dab of neutral shoe polish and apply to the upper receiver and buff it lightly, the silicone won't to stick to it and should pop free cleaner.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
It's designed like the freedom bone which does not work that well. Rapid fire with a suppressor give you tons of gas to the face. I have no idea why they keep fronting this failed design. I would think they would go with a port on the side which works better
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I drilled a hole for a gas vent but it didn't go well.  There was a spring in there if I recall.  I don't remember the angle but I couldn't go all the way through like i have on other CH's.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:54:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I drilled a hole for a gas vent but it didn't go well.  There was a spring in there if I recall.  I don't remember the angle but I couldn't go all the way through like i have on other CH's.
View Quote
Thanks that helps a lot. I was wondering if anything would be in the way. Do you have any photos of it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Take the spring out and continue drilling. The spring is still captured and won't hurt anything (as long as the drill bit is not excessively big for the spring to fall out)

Don't use it anymore, but worked just fine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#24]
FWIW I did the silicone mod to all my blowback, 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 ARs. The first one was done 8 years ago and shows no sign of stress.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What about this?
View Quote
Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#26]
This is what you seek. I have on on my 10.3 and it's worked wonders.

Raptor suppressor optimized ch
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I run a gunfighter with  small hole drilled in the side, works very well especially suppressed.  
The RTV trick is an old mod and works well.  
That forward assist gas vent is a ripoff at $38,  gonna make my own.  The gas bustin ch is overpriced and doesnt work well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is what you seek. I have on on my 10.3 and it's worked wonders.

Raptor suppressor optimized ch
View Quote
I have the Raptor freedom bone which is the same revamped Raptor in the post. Originally I liked it but my buddy had gas issue with it. Then I used it suppressed in several rapid fire drills. What I have found out is it works great in a suppressed non adjustable gas block DI carbine as long as your do not fire rapid. I am not impressed with its performance during suppressed rapid fire.  My thoughts are drilling a port on the side in one of the regular raptors would solve the gas problem and give you the ergonomics of the raptor (which I love). I love the performance of the griffin SNACH but I am not fond of the ergonomics of the CH same goes for the gas buster.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I run a gunfighter with  small hole drilled in the side, works very well especially suppressed.  
The RTV trick is an old mod and works well.  
That forward assist gas vent is a ripoff at $38,  gonna make my own.  The gas bustin ch is overpriced and doesnt work well.
View Quote
Do you have a pic of the gunfighter you modded? I'd love to see it
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Well for shits and giggles I decided to take apart and my freedom bone CH. There was a spring on the right side. I took it out and drilled a little hole through into the CH. Spring does not seem to be an issue. I think the side vent hole will help with the f'ed up designed porting in the freedom bone. Testing soon

Link Posted: 11/10/2017 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#31]
This is relevant to my interests. 
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top