Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2017 4:41:16 AM EDT
Found a BNIB spikes T2 buffer in the gun closet that i dont ever remember buying.

How good are the tungsten powder buffers? Gimmick or good?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Gimmick.  You want a dead blow, not a sleepy slosh.  Andrew Tuohy did a high speed camera test of various buffers' mitigation of bolt bounce and the T2 wasn't effective.  As a rule, H or H2 is the way to go depending on your setup.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:46:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run 2 T2 buffers in 14.5" issue free.
View Quote
2 buffers in one 14.5? howd you manage that
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I run only ST-2 spikes buffers in every AR I have to include the following

11.5" suppressed - also has a gemtech carrier
14.5" suppressed
16" suppressed
12.5" suppressed - also has a gemtech carrier
10.5" 7.62x39 suppressed - also has a gemtech carrier
8" 45ACP - this one is a spikes ST-1 which I don't believe is tungsten but I can't remember right now

all run with zero issue

ETA: Only the 7.62x39 is a gay ass pistol (for now), waiting on stamp, the rest are SBRs if that matters.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gimmick.  You want a dead blow, not a sleepy slosh.  Andrew Tuohy did a high speed camera test of various buffers' mitigation of bolt bounce and the T2 wasn't effective.  As a rule, H or H2 is the way to go depending on your setup.
View Quote
which means nothing to 100% of semi shooters

"special" buffers have become snake oil

If you have a gas problem, control it with a adj gas block
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#7]
When has bolt bounce EVER been a problem with a semi-automatic AR?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blasphemy!  You definitely aren't one of the Tier one kool kids. Me either. I've been telling new builders to just get an adjustable gas block for their 300BO builds for a couple of years. I don't know why it's ok to have adjustable gas as standard equipment on a piston AR but a misbehaving DI gun must need a heavier buffer. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not everyone wants to bother with an adjustable gas block, especially if they run an FSB.  The same weight format that prevents bolt bounce delays unlocking, aiding extraction reliability and minimizing bolt stress.  Furthermore, the momentum sans bounce ensures full battery in dirty or fouled conditions.  The T2 is snake oil, but heavy buffers are not unless an adjustable gas block is used, which is not always desired, convenient, or economical.  In fact, if trying to tune a rifle to run reliably without repeated gas adjustment both suppressed and unsuppressed, mixing and matching of gas adjustment and buffer weight can provide a performance envelope that gas adjustment alone may not.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have them in 3 of my ARs and like them a lot. Makes for a smooth quiet action when paired with a CS buffer spring.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not everyone wants to bother with an adjustable gas block, especially if they run an FSB.  The same weight format that prevents bolt bounce delays unlocking, aiding extraction reliability and minimizing bolt stress.  Furthermore, the momentum sans bounce ensures full battery in dirty or fouled conditions.  The T2 is snake oil, but heavy buffers are not unless an adjustable gas block is used, which is not always desired, convenient, or economical.  In fact, if trying to tune a rifle to run reliably without repeated gas adjustment both suppressed and unsuppressed, mixing and matching of gas adjustment and buffer weight can provide a performance envelope that gas adjustment alone may not.
View Quote
you missed the entire point.

you control the gas=fix the problem.

heavy buffers were needed because of poorly made guns/overgassed.

If you needed a heavy buffer for reliability then the M4/M16 would have had them, they dont. The only reason they have the heavy buffers is because they came out before gas blocks did and before most barrels makers started to get the gas ports correct
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#13]
It has been posted many times that the T2 buffers don’t handle bolt bounce as well as the conventional design.
However for practical purposes a lot of people use these buffers without known issues.
If very many people were having problems you would see a lot of negative posts to that effect.
My personal preference is for the std design, but since you have one try it or sell it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It has been posted many times that the T2 buffers don’t handle bolt bounce as well as the conventional design.
However for practical purposes a lot of people use these buffers without known issues.
If very many people were having problems you would see a lot of negative posts to that effect.
My personal preference is for the std design, but since you have one try it or sell it.
View Quote
was going to try it in a 10.3 sbr today to see how it does since i already have one. Been using a standard colt H2 in it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#15]
It's a buffer between an H and H2 it works just like either of those. It would work great to replace a Std Carbine buffer, but not better than any other imo. I have a few them but only because they were on sale.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you needed a heavy buffer for reliability then the M4/M16 would have had them, they dont. The only reason they have the heavy buffers is because they came out before gas blocks did and before most barrels makers started to get the gas ports correct
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure if you're only referring to the H2 or heavier, but yes the M4 carbine came from Colt with an "H" buffer.  So did my factory 6933 built in 2015.  The 6945 factory SBR I own that still is sitting in NFA jail also has an H in it.  Sometimes as others have stated having a heavier cycling mass will help with chambering rounds if your weapon is dirty or needs lube.  For chairborne rangers like me it's no big deal but for real live shooters that go in harms way I'd rather have a slightly overgassed rifle that will run reliably with a heavier buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#17]
my form 4s are starting to roll in so ive been looking at h2s for some of my guns.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#18]
What exactly is snake oil?  I mean the AR community is full of individuals that will pay $50-$100 more for a particular logo/roll mark on a lower receiver from a company that doesn't even manufacture the receiver. Ironically the T2, a actual functioning part that pretty much cost the equivalent of the original design is "snake oil".

And let's not forget the LARB which was called "snake oil" but then was proven to do everything it advertised to do. But for some reason the nay sayers disappeared after the fact.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its you who is missing the point. As was stated,  not everyone wants to run an adjustable gas block and many of us prefer a fixed FSB which is impossible to use with an adjustable.

http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4-myth-fouling-caused-by-the-direct-impingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable/

Here is proof positive that heavier buffers and action springs do indeed aid in reliability.

OP I've used a ST-T2 in a few guns over 2-3k rounds they work just fine IME.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top