Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2017 11:59:53 AM EDT
so im usually just a phosphate mil spec toolcraft/colt/bcm/psa bcg guy. They work just fine and always have for me.

However, ive been looking around at some of the more "boutique" coatings and brands of bcgs just to see if theres something that sparks any interest for me.

Anyone have any experience with the cryptic coating bcgs? I know theyre toolcraft 158 bolts which i like, ive got quite a few of them.

Is the coating worth giving a try? will be going into a sbr that is shot suppressed about 90% of the time, other 10% is just to show new shooters the difference between sounds.

$275 for the mystic black coated bcg so basically $75 bcg from toolcraft and $200 coating. the price isnt too much of a concern but i dont want to pay for something thats just marketing hype.

Thanks for any info, feel free to give alternative choices that would help with cleaning/function in the suppressed sbr.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one its mystic bronze. It feels like it's coated with oil when it's dry. I have 400 rds through it and still looks new. Wipes down easily .

Is it worth the money? You decide. It's not like we are talking a shitload of money here so I think they are worth it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a friend with a couple.  Loves them.  I can't talk myself into paying that much for a coating.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a great coating with lots of advantages. It's expensive but if money is of no concern, why not. I have an cryptic black nitrated one I bought for $110 I believe, which is their cheapest coating. It's very easy to clean.

To be honest, this was my first and last Toolcraft BCG. They claim their extractors are made of tool steel, but when you take the extractor out you'll see molded metal injection marks on the underside of the extractor. I'll bet Toolcraft BCGs for military contracts come with an real tool steel extractor. My next BCG will be a no BS BCM BCG again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a great coating with lots of advantages. It's expensive but if money is of no concern, why not. I have an cryptic black nitrated one I bought for $110 I believe, which is their cheapest coating. It's very easy to clean.

To be honest, this was my first and last Toolcraft BCG. They claim their extractors are made of tool steel, but when you take the extractor out you'll see molded metal injection marks on the underside of the extractor. I'll bet Toolcraft BCGs for military contracts come with an real tool steel extractors. My next BCG will be a no BS BCM BCG again.
View Quote
never looked too hard at the extractors on the TC bcgs but if true that sucks.

i wish cryptic would coat customers bolts for them, id love to send in a couple E3s.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
My understanding is you can MIM some tool steels.  I believe that's how Geissele triggers are made.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
You can, but you lose some of the tool steel properties. The BCM ones are machined tool steel from fresh bars. If you melt it again, then the molecular structure changes and loses some of its toughness and gains brittle properties. I am sure it's still good to go and will last you a very long time, but a machined tool steel extractor from a fresh bar is tougher. 4140 steel is also forged in the factory, which gives it toughness and elastic properties. All this goes away if it gets melted and then simply injected into a form.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never heard of extractor issues with toolcraft bolts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The Cryptic Coating BCG's are very nice.  I have both a Mystic Black and just picked up a black nitrade.  If money isn't a problem they are outstanding as their coating is very slick and they are easy to clean.  The Mystic Black I have has held up great, cleaned easily and has had absolutely no issues.  Like mentioned above, I have never heard of any issues with their extractors either.  Additionally, Cryptic Coatings is a great company with great people from my experience.  You won't be disappointed in their quality.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You will not regret buying one.

I found a mystic black 556 on the EE for $135 with 1000 rounds on it.

The only wear marks were on the cam pin. super easy clean up.

So I bought another one in 556 and one in 308.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually thought about buying one of the copper/bronze colored ones to drop in a Cerakoted FDE build, but I can't get past that hideous logo on it. It would be nice if they offered a logo/no logo option, similar to what PSA does with their premium BCG's.

Also, if Toolcraft does use MIM extractors that sucks, but I've never seen any issues out of them and they've sold a LOT of them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I will know soon.  Have one on the way.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had a mystic black for a couple years, it is nice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the mystic gold now

I love it
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Imo, no. I'd just buy a nitride or NIB Toolcraft. I have their copper looking bcg. It is an extremely nice coating, so far, and they have a great warranty, but I like both the coating and features of the Lantac ebcg better. Plus it's less $. I'd bet on Lantac sticking around longer than a coating company to honor their lifetime warranty as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:42:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Imo, no. I'd just buy a nitride or NIB Toolcraft. I have their copper looking bcg. It is an extremely nice coating, so far, and they have a great warranty, but I like both the coating and features of the Lantac ebcg better. Plus it's less $. I'd bet on Lantac sticking around longer than a coating company to honor their lifetime warranty as well.
View Quote
well....i fent hard and bought two of the mystic black BCGs lol, guess ill see if its worth it or not over something like a np3 or nib bcg.

Not too worried about their warranty, the way i see it is it either breaks soon and they are probably gonna still be around to fix a defect that didnt get caught, or it works just fine for a while and at that point id just buy a new one. Ive never really given much merit to lifetime warranties on wear parts.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Their customer service is top notch as well.. i bought a mystic black bcg from a gun show  after getting home i noticed the finish was not even and one side was rough. They sent me a pre paid shipping label to send it back and then shipped me a new one. Took about a week
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#17]
got the bcg in today.

wow.

just wow.

this thing is pretty impressive. Gonna compare it to a colt mil spec today in a mk18 suppressed and see how it does.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice.  Mine will be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#20]
These sound pretty interesting.

Anyone know what the specifics of the Mystic Black coating actually is? It sounds like DLC, and there are DLC bolts for $129-$175 vs the $275 listed for Mystic Black.

This bolt, for example:
https://primeweaponry.com/products/dlc-bolt-carrier-group
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
These sound pretty interesting.

Anyone know what the specifics of the Mystic Black coating actually is? It sounds like DLC, and there are DLC bolts for $129-$175 vs the $275 listed for Mystic Black.

This bolt, for example:
https://primeweaponry.com/products/dlc-bolt-carrier-group
View Quote
The Mystic Black is coated with CVD... Is CVD and DLC one in the same? I don't know, but it sure looks neat. I do own one of their Mystic Black BCGs BTW.

The below paragraph is from their site.

"What is CVD?

CVD is the abbreviation Chemical Vapor Deposition. Chemical vapor deposition is a chemical process used to produce high-purity, high-performance solid materials. One such material is Diamond-Like-Carbon (DLC). Since 1952 when William Eversole grew the first diamond in a vacuum chamber, DLC thin film use has grown tremendously. DLC coatings feature excellent hardness, wear and low friction properties under dry or deficient lubrication conditions. They are ideally suited for mechanical assemblies with sliding and rolling movements."
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Got mine in yesterday and shot a couple hundred through it today.  This is a sweet BCG.  I have used many.  Including several different Nickel Boron versions.  This thing looks to best them though as far as clean up goes.  To soon to tell but after 200 it wiped clean very easy with no cleaners or lube.  Not a scratch either.  I ordered another one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top