Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2017 3:31:06 AM EDT
I'm fairly new to the AR plateform, and not sure if this is a stupid question. I have a Ruger AR-556 MPR rifle, the new AR release from Ruger. I bought a mil-spec full auto toolcraft NiB BCG to swap out the semi-auto BCG that came with the Ruger. Since the full auto bcg weighs a little more than the semi auto, I was wondering if it would affect the reliability of the gun once I've done the swap? The Ruger is a 18 inch barrel, rifle length gas system. Do I need to change the buffer weight to compensate? The buffer weight on the Ruger is unmarked, which I assume means it's a carbine buffer. Any advice and comments from the knowledgeable folks here are appreciated. Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
99.87% no problem.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't change a thing, it would be an upgrade if anything.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Full-auto BCG?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Full-auto BCG?
View Quote
FA profile is not a .
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
99.87% no problem.
View Quote
I've swapped a 1/2 moon BCG (from a 6721) for a F/A Colt (temp) & and now has a PSA prem FA BCG....several hundred rounds later, not a hiccup.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]
In what situation would require a buffer change? I guess if somehow the BCG was made lighter? The buffer weight would need to go up?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In what situation would require a buffer change? I guess if somehow the BCG was made lighter? The buffer weight would need to go up?
View Quote
A lot depends on such things as over gassed, undergassed, barrel length etc.
A FA bolt carrier will probably just slow down the cycling of the weapon a small amount, making it a bit more reliable. I would think in todays world, factory rifles that come with a semi carrier, do so just because they don't want any legal issues. Of which there would not be any..
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Of my 5 ARs, only 1 runs a semi carrier.  Other 4 are full profile.  Never a problem.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]
just switch bolt carriers

I don't like mixing used bolts with used barrels.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Safe? Yes
Legal? Yes (unless you live in WA state or some place with crazy laws).

It should be more reliable (if anything) due to the extra weight.

Unmarked carbine buffers are almost always standard carbine buffers.
No, you do not need to compensate for extra mass by adding extra mass. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Would the gun wear and tear faster with a carbine buffer, despite it being reliable?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Edited.  This is not GD - Old_Painless
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#18]
4 poster with a bait question? Maybe, but it isn't bait, because a FA carrier is legal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
4 poster with a bait question? Maybe, but it isn't bait, because a FA carrier is legal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
he's in, that's his bait
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Until it's a sure troll/shitpost thread that will be locked in due time, please keep GD out of Tech.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#21]
If you own a Colt with the hardened steel block in the lower receiver that precludes the use of a full auto and even a semi-auto bolt carrier you will have zero problems. Those limited production Colts appeared for a short time around 1992 - 1994 and has bolt carriers with virtually no material on the bottom 1/3 of the rear. A standard semi-auto or auto bolt carrier will not function in those rifles, all others are GTG.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Without seeing the bolt carrier, and the hammer, I can't tell you how swapping the BCG from a semi-auto to a full-auto will affect the operation of the gun.

Semi-auto bolt carriers come in different flavors, including those with shrouded firing pins (and those without shrouded firing pins), and the whole world of full length, partial length, half circle, and full circle rear sections.

Unshrouded firing pin semi-auto bolt carriers are getting pretty rare, but if your bolt carrier is unshrouded, the firing pin, and firing pin retaining pin can get damaged by contact with the hammer.

If your gun has a unshrouded bolt carrier, the bolt carrier can hang on a notched hammer, and switching to a full-auto bolt carrier, and round hammer can improve reliability.

If your semi-auto bolt carrier has a unshrouded firing pin, and half-circle body, the weight difference between a full auto bolt carrier, and your semi-auto bolt carrier will be more than .5oz.  The gun was designed to operate with the extra weight of the full-auto bolt carrier, and restoring the proper weight to the bolt carrier assembly will not hurt reliability.

From my experience, the full auto bolt carrier, with a round hammer will wear slower than a semi-auto bolt carrier with unshrouded firing pin, and a notched hammer, and is likely to not suffer from firing pin and firing pin retaining pin damage (when compared to a semi-auto bolt carrier with unshrouded firing pin and notched hammer).
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Good to hear. My Ruger AR's BCG is unshrouded, but it isn't a half circle, its a typical semi auto BCG. So I guess I actually made a reliability improvement to my MPR, which is always a good thing. I don't plan on using it for home defense anyways, but an upgrade is an upgrade. My Colt LE6920 will remain my home defense rifle.

If anyone can tell me how to embed images, it would be appreciated. I'm already using the img html tags, but they aren't working. Here are some pictures of the toolcraft BCG I bought:

Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Full-auto BCG?
View Quote
Actually it is better called the 'M16 Bolt Carrier'. Built heavy for heavy use and it also retards the cycling speed a little. Most new ARs today come with one. Its legal because it has no automatic fire function in a semi-auto rifle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, if I may ask why do you feel the need to swap the BCG? Have you had any functioning problems with the Ruger BCG?

If the gun is working well as is I'm not sure what actual benefit you are expecting from a new BCG.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:12:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Because I wanted to feel good knowing I have an upgraded BCG. I like having a full auto BCG. A shrouded firing pin.. etc. and as mentioned above the increase in reliability it provides.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Unless the weapon is on the ragged edge of short stroking it should work.
You should check headspace.
I have seen several bolts at both the min and max tolerance.
The allowed tolerance for bolts .003” so there is a potential for the headspace to be out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Colt has b shipping their 6920's with Auto BCG for quite a while.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Because I wanted to feel good knowing I have an upgraded BCG. I like having a full auto BCG. A shrouded firing pin.. etc. and as mentioned above the increase in reliability it provides.
View Quote
Fair enough. If it makes you feel good then do it.

I've never had an unreliable semi BCG as long as the gas key screws were properly staked and the materials were of a known quantity.

Your rifle and your money, use whatever you like.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:53:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Unless the weapon is on the ragged edge of short stroking it should work.
You should check headspace.
I have seen several bolts at both the min and max tolerance.
The allowed tolerance for bolts .003” so there is a potential for the headspace to be out.
View Quote
I assume since it's Toolcraft, a trusted high quality BCG manufacturer, I wouldn't have to worry?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#32]
It is up to you.
It is a tolerance stacking issue not how good the manufacturer is.
It is a civilian manufacture weapon not military where by contract the parts of weapons must be interchangeable within a given lot.
I have found a number of bolt/barrel combinations that did not pass a headspace check even though the bolts were in spec.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I put a BCM FA BCG in my 13-year-old Wyndham Bushmaster about seven years ago.  It works better than the original BCG, which I keep around for an emergency spare.  No problems at all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Safe? Yes
Legal? Yes (unless you live in WA state or some place with crazy laws).
View Quote
That is not true. I wish people, dealers, and distributors (wholesalers) would stop spreading that nonsense. Our law bans items that are for the exclusive use in full auto. Since so many brands ship with the standard bolt carrier now, it's hard for anyone with sense to argue that it's a full auto only part. It's not an auto sear, or hammer with the hook, or a selector switch.

And that prohibition doesn't apply to a FFL with SOT.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#35]
My mistake. 
That’s what I had heard from guys in WA state. When I read the law, it looked pretty vague.

What parts do they define as “exclusive” to a MG?
Does one have to be a SOT to own a MG there?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top