Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 10.5" SBR's bolt cycling is noticeably softer, and much more pleasant to shoot. The noise within the buffer tube is near nonexistent. Something as simple as pulling the charging handle back results in a much smoother feel. These are all noticeable compared to the other springs I've used; SpringCo, Tubbs, Spikes Tactical, etc.. The Geissele Super 42 does work for me, but then again I run quality parts, and not just the crap some people throw on their rifles.
View Quote
Running the LARB or the 42 spring?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Running the LARB or the 42 spring?
View Quote
The Geissele Super 42.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I had a customer a while back say either it didn't work or he didn't like it. Can't remember, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I personally use a Strike Industries flatwire spring in my rifle and LARB. I love it.
View Quote
The Super 42 springs are larger diameter than stock springs and the Geissele buffers are turned down a small amount to compensate for the extra spring thickness.  I doubt the Super 42 spring would work with your buffer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Super 42 springs are larger diameter than stock springs and the Geissele buffers are turned down a small amount to compensate for the extra spring thickness.  I doubt the Super 42 spring would work with your buffer.
View Quote
Ah, that's it. So the 42 spring won't work with any mil spec buffer. My buffer uses mil spec springs
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Michael, cudos for the LARB turn on. 

My Grendel has been prone to stovepipes with premium ammo due to very fast action cycling from an oversize gas port.  A 4oz buffer partially solved that problem, but after seeing your measured performance of a 10% decrease in cycle rate, I decided to try an LARB for a complete fix and I shot it today.  I had zero malfunctions for the first time ever and the rifle felt great.  Smoother operation, less perceived recoil and I don't hear the spring vibrating in the tube after each shot now.  And it still spits out cheap Wolf ammo as fast as I can pull.

Thanks Buddy!  That was a great "heads up".
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey Michael, cudos for the LARB turn on. 

My Grendel has been prone to stovepipes with premium ammo due to very fast action cycling from an oversize gas port.  A 4oz buffer partially solved that problem, but after seeing your measured performance of a 10% decrease in cycle rate, I decided to try an LARB for a complete fix and I shot it today.  I had zero malfunctions for the first time ever and the rifle felt great.  Smoother operation, less perceived recoil and I don't hear the spring vibrating in the tube after each shot now.  And it still spits out cheap Wolf ammo as fast as I can pull.

Thanks Buddy!  That was a great "heads up".
View Quote
Awesome
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]
My last look at the LARB. Compared to the H2. With similar weights the LARB wins but at the standard 4.0 oz the LARB does not slow down bolt velocity as much as the H2.

https://youtu.be/gcAQJa9uFDQ
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My last look at the LARB. Compared to the H2. With similar weights the LARB wins but at the standard 4.0 oz the LARB does not slow down bolt velocity as much as the H2.

https://youtu.be/gcAQJa9uFDQ
View Quote
Isn't it possible that what is slowing down the rate of fire on the LARB is extra friction on the spring from the anti-tilt buldge?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#9]
So much for the whole "snake oil" debate. Loved every second of your video mbell!
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:...at the standard 4.0 oz the LARB does not slow down bolt velocity as much as the H2.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Isn't it possible that what is slowing down the rate of fire on the LARB is extra friction on the spring from the anti-tilt buldge?
View Quote
What? No. There's no "extra friction" on the spring. Why would I design something like that?

Thanks Mike! I appreciate your videos and honest non biased reviews. Good info for sure. The LARB does exactly what it was designed to do right out of the package. And it does it well. It's not a cheap part by any means, it's a high quality component and it's not for everyone. It was never designed to be a cure all for overgassed guns (it just happens to absorbe energy very well and tame overgassing) but rather was designed to add several small benefits and an over all performance upgrade to an AR platform. It's something that you can feel the very first round. I'm glad that time is starting to prove that the LARB does donwhat ive said and that I'm not tricking anyone. It's a legitimate product that does what it's supposed to. They are selling great and feedback has been extremely good. I don't think I've had any actual "bad" feedback as of yet. It's a pricey part, but take into consideration what's involved in making it, fit and finish, moving parts, number of parts and the fact it's cheaper than a muzzle brake, on par with other buffer systems and cheaper than it's only other direct competitor. The $450 AR guys will absolutely benefit from the LARB but they are not the intended customer target. The guys who say that a normal mil spec H2 does the same thing (while wrong) are not my target customer base. It's guys who don't mind spending money on high quality components that add (in any degree) performance to their rifle. It's been proven over and over that the LARB does out perform a mil spec buffer and many other aftermarket buffers, in more ways than just reducing bolt speed (only one of several moments in a recoil pulse). It's the combination of several features that add up to a better performing product.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thank you.
View Quote
I can agree with this, this is just physics. Simply throwing weight at the AR is not always the correct solution. The LARB weighs 4oz for a reason. That's the "magic" number that all my R&D has proven to be optimal. I will bet that the 4oz LARB "felt" better than the standard mil spec H2 though. And still adds the other benefits over the mil spec H2...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top