User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 115
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 44Echo10:

Is it really a design flaw or was the PRI forearm out before the mid-length gas location was a common thing and just lack of foresight by the designer/s?

Have you fellows got a fix that works figured out?

The forearm, recce rail, and barrel are all the higher dollar things I need for an H. I am now considering a Block II recce with a DD rail since this seems to be a common theme with the PRI system.

I really wanted to do an H build in 6.8 SPC since the man had a big hand in both...and 6.8 was looked at early on in the SPR development.
View Quote
It shouldn't stop you from building an "H".  I'm just going to cut the end of the screw off of mine.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
It shouldn't stop you from building an "H".  I'm just going to cut the end of the screw off of mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
Originally Posted By 44Echo10:

Is it really a design flaw or was the PRI forearm out before the mid-length gas location was a common thing and just lack of foresight by the designer/s?

Have you fellows got a fix that works figured out?

The forearm, recce rail, and barrel are all the higher dollar things I need for an H. I am now considering a Block II recce with a DD rail since this seems to be a common theme with the PRI system.

I really wanted to do an H build in 6.8 SPC since the man had a big hand in both...and 6.8 was looked at early on in the SPR development.
Plastic washer solved it for me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:52:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a PRI Douglas barrel with PRI gasblock on mine, PRI built it on my upper/bcg and my screw appears to be touching as well, haven't confirmed yet though.

Problem I have this is a shooter, I've doped it to 900M and shot at 4 inch group at 1000yards once.
It shoots where I aim it with 262 mod 1 which is all I fire in it.
So do I mess with it at all?

I don't see this as a design flaw at all, the handguard  was originally used on the mk12 with rifle length gas system, so on that weapon it's not an issue.
It's an oversight on the H with shorter gas system as that screw may cause issues.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:22:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RMiller:
I have a PRI Douglas barrel with PRI gasblock on mine, PRI built it on my upper/bcg and my screw appears to be touching as well, haven't confirmed yet though.

Problem I have this is a shooter, I've doped it to 900M and shot at 4 inch group at 1000yards once.

I don't see this as a design flaw at all, the handguard  was originally used on the mk12 with rifle length gas system, so on that weapon it's not an issue.
It's an oversight on the H with shorter gas system as that screw may cause issues.
View Quote
If it shoots well don't mess with it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By prskiller:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prskiller:
Originally Posted By RMiller:

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:28:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#6]
JMO but I think this contact may be acting as a whip screw, a la Mk14 EBR. Some barrels like no contact, others like "just touching", and some need solid contact. My Mk14 clone, with 18" barrel, likes contact plus a 1/4 turn for best groups to 300m.
The Sage chassis doesn't flex meaning that this contact is repeatable on a rigid system. JAE uses a similar set up but calls it a "barrel tensioner". If there is any movement in the stock/handguard then the contact isn't repeatable and this could be the cause of wandering/inconsistent groups.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lancecriminal86] [#7]
FWIW, issued Holland uppers there's no contact between that screw and the PRI block.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:28:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#8]
There are two lengths of PRi screws out there. I like to run the AEM5 under the handguard with my SBR, and run in to problems now and again with clearance. Here they are side by side.

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. Good information.

Looks like with just cutting the plate in half everything will be good to go. Engel12626 posted a good pic in the Mk12 thread. I've never seen a PRI forearm in person so his pic gives me piece of mind it doesn't look like as much of an issue as my imagination was letting it be.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:
But who here has used/shot a Bergara H barrel? I've looked at them but can't find any actual Bergara users, other than CVA black powder shooters.

ETA For the same price, you're in WOA territory.
View Quote
PRI recommended a bergara barrel for a Hollandish upper I ordered last year. It has been accurate and flawless.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jimmyboots:
PRI recommended a bergara barrel for a Hollandish upper I ordered last year. It has been accurate and flawless.
View All Quotes
But who here has used/shot a Bergara H barrel? I've looked at them but can't find any actual Bergara users, other than CVA black powder shooters.

Would love to get feedback on rough groupings and what ammo it likes if you don't mind @jimmyboots
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Got the mk4 back from leupold and swapped to NF rings. I went with A101s as they lined up almost perfectly with my clip on. 107s were a tad high. Too bad it'll likely be a couple of weeks before I get to shoot it again with the front screw no longer touching the gas block

Thinking about grabbing an a1 lower from brownells
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TheShlouf:
Got the mk4 back from leupold and swapped to NF rings. I went with A101s as they lined up almost perfectly with my clip on. 107s were a tad high. Too bad it'll likely be a couple of weeks before I get to shoot it again with the front screw no longer touching the gas block

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223848/IMG_1809_JPG-967477.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223848/IMG_1811_JPG-967478.JPG
View Quote
Glad to see this as it's the same combo I had settled on when it comes time to getting dedicated glass for my Holland.  Looks good.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Would love to get feedback on rough groupings and what ammo it likes if you don't mind @jimmyboots
View All Quotes

Interested in feedback also. Alvin York cutting centers or "I can hit a barn if I'm inside it" accurate?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:33:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#15]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223848/IMG_1809_JPG-967477.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223848/IMG_1811_JPG-967478.JPG
View Quote
Looks good, I also ran 101's before I found some no-hump 22M's - they are solid.

Need to hunt you down a Gen Juan though :).

I cut the under brace or whatever it's called in half today and re-installed front screw only, hopefully will get to the range later this week.  Gas block definitely was marked up from the screw.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Update on screw/gb clearance.

Pulled my screw last night and I have no contact with the gas block, put a sheet of paper under it and reinstalled the screw, paper came out with ease so I have about 10-15 thousandths clearance.

My screw measures .284.

PRI did it right in fact on this one...back to shooting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#17]
So I know I can go be poor somewhere else, but what are the best “value” options besides the BA Gov Profile with Ops cut or the Bison Armory 16” SPR barrel? And if not, generally which of those two barrels is the best option? They’re about the same price.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Both the BA and Bison are solid barrels, depending on your preference for weight you could go with the Ballistic to shed some weight, or the Bison with more meat on it but closer to the correct Mod H profile.

The most correct but "budget" option is a Bergara from PRI. It's the right profile, right color (FDE coated) and a PRI gas block is the right block. It's a chunk more than the Bison/Ballistic at $285 but gets you closer in correctness south of the original Noveske barrels which nobody period has. Every time a supposed run of them has been mentioned the number floated was like $600 a pop, which IMO is pants-on-head retarded.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Both the BA and Bison are solid barrels, depending on your preference for weight you could go with the Ballistic to shed some weight, or the Bison with more meat on it but closer to the correct Mod H profile.

The most correct but "budget" option is a Bergara from PRI. It's the right profile, right color (FDE coated) and a PRI gas block is the right block. It's a chunk more than the Bison/Ballistic at $285 but gets you closer in correctness south of the original Noveske barrels which nobody period has. Every time a supposed run of them has been mentioned the number floated was like $600 a pop, which IMO is pants-on-head retarded.
View Quote
Ok then I’ll probably go with the Bison. I saw that based on each company’s website, the Bison is only 2 oz. heavier than the BA and I’d rather have the heavier profile under the handguard.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
What's retarded about wearing pants on your head?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#21]
This is the correct Bergara, yes?

https://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1295155
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:
This is the correct Bergara, yes?

https://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1295155
View Quote
yep. bergara only makes one twist option - 1/8.
originals were a noveske 1/7.7 twist, so closest is 1/8. i prefer 1/7 twist for these builds so that i can shoot some barnes 85 gr. and berger 82 gr. ammo out really far. retro arms works signed for my package today, hoping to have the uppers back early next week
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 7:12:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#23]
321 pending days on the AEM5..... and counting. my mod H is retired till i get the can in.

I was presented an M1A in 6.5 creedmoor for graduation, and i dont really care about much else at this time . I found a local 100yd outdoor rifle range to join thats 10min away, so that's what I will have to use until i become a member at the 1000yd range 1.2hrs away. I'll stretch legs there when i can. its cheap and closer than my old 600yd range was.

bison 1/7 here. no issues, shoots the same as my old WOA did. and its $200
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 4:05:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#24]
PRI Bergara 16" barrel just came in and can confirm that it is as depicted on their website. It is also dimpled for the gas block set screws and coated after dimpling. Still waiting on URX-4 to come in.
Bergara Mod H barrel
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#25]
First kill with my H

Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#26]
PRI Bergara 16" barrel just came in and can confirm that it is as depicted on their website. It is also dimpled for the gas block set screws and coated after dimpling. Still waiting on URX-4 to come in.
Bergara Mod H barrel
View Quote
Looks good - I'm on the fence.  I have the Bison Armory, and thought I was having accuracy issues, but after rebuilding the upper and re-mounting the scope as mentioned in the main MK12 thread, it's doing better.  I just don't think the Bergara would do any better so haven't ordered it even though I've had it in my cart for about 2 weeks lol.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 4:26:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#27]
Well, started with a pile of parts at 1230 local

Ended up with this about 1400 local, taking my time

gas block screws lined up with existing m-lok slots, timing the muzzle break took the most time since the shims aren't marked... I hate math

I guess I have to finish that engraved 80% A1 lower this weekend. It may be one of the last ones that a well know engraver, and ARF member, engraved.

Colt C stamped keyhole (Cerro Forge) upper
Colt C stamped BCG and MPC (with white paint dot) bolt
PRI M84 charging handle with military big latch
PRI Bergara 16" barrel with FDE coating
KAC URX 4 13" handguard
PRI gas block
Allen ALE22 mount kit (collar, break, thread protector, shims)
NF A203 rings should be in next Tuesday
Leupold 3.5-10x40 illuminated mil-dot (sku 53672 built 2004)

ETA
PRI includes a spacer to fill the gap between the gas block and shoulder (DD and Badger don't). Nice touch for the OCD crowd.
Absolutely no clearance issues between the gas block and handguard. There is a good 1/8", or more, clearance at the closest points.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks good - I'm on the fence.  I have the Bison Armory, and thought I was having accuracy issues, but after rebuilding the upper and re-mounting the scope as mentioned in the main MK12 thread, it's doing better.  I just don't think the Bergara would do any better so haven't ordered it even though I've had it in my cart for about 2 weeks lol.
View All Quotes
Bergara Mod H barrel
Burn the Bison barrel out and enjoy it, then get the Bergara if you want to bump up a clone step.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Finally got to shoot the H yesterday after getting rid of the screw over the gas block. Had some crazy 15 mph winds but still shot .8-1.2" over 60 rounds of 69 SMKs on 24.5 RL15. Pretty noticeable improvement.

The AEM5 can't get approved soon enough.

Question about the Ace socom stocks. What's the difference between the early Gens and Gen 4? I want to pick one up to try but gen 1-3 don't pop up very regularly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#30]
https://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/theshloufq/FullSizeRender_zpsplftt385.jpg

Finally got to shoot the H yesterday after getting rid of the screw over the gas block. Had some crazy 15 mph winds but still shot .8-1.2" over 60 rounds of 69 SMKs on 24.5 RL15. Pretty noticeable improvement.

The AEM5 can't get approved soon enough.

Question about the Ace socom stocks. What's the difference between the early Gens and Gen 4? I want to pick one up to try but gen 1-3 don't pop up very regularly.
View Quote
Adjustment button is different, and i think the really early ones didn't have the texture on the bottom of the stock.  I could be wrong on that last part though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:57:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#31]
Originally Posted By ProfessorHorseyhead:

Adjustment button is different, and i think the really early ones didn't have the texture on the bottom of the stock.  I could be wrong on that last part though.
View Quote
There used to be a post in the big thread about the differences with pics, I don't know if it's still there and I'm not looking through 900+ pages.
The newer ones use a standard end plate and castle nut.

ETA Found a post that explains the differences. Second link is to pics. It takes a while for the pics to load.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Official-Mk12-Mod0--Mod1--ModH-Photo-and-Discussion-Thread/118-520524/?page=806#i7415246
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/pcrunnels/IMG_2328_zpszewduzbh.jpg
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#32]
https://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/theshloufq/FullSizeRender_zpsplftt385.jpg

View Quote
Nice, what barrel?  My 12 and 18 hate 69's it seems in general, but I haven't handloaded any.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#33]

There used to be a post in the big thread about the differences with pics, I don't know if it's still there and I'm not looking through 900+ pages.

ETA Found a post that explains the differences. Second link is to pics. It takes a while for the pics to load.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Official-Mk12-Mod0--Mod1--ModH-Photo-and-Discussion-Thread/118-520524/?page=806#i7415246
View All Quotes

Thanks, I knew it was in there somewhere from years ago.

Nice, what barrel?  My 12 and 18 hate 69's it seems in general, but I haven't handloaded any.
Ballistic Advantage. I'm going to try again with some hornady 68s and 75s soon now that it's looking like the issue may be fixed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#34]
For continuing reference since we're talking about the ACE SOCOM Generations and which ones are correct, the correct version is the one indicated in the old thread as "Gen 3", with the non-ambi gusset and no built-in sling loop, threading for sling loops, round button with a flathead cut on the weak side, and a squared button back on the strong side (ejection port side).

HOWEVER COMMA

Doublestar (who bought ACE Ltd up) has previously sold/listed these "Gen 3" stocks as Gen 2s on various outlets, other clone folks have run with the "Gen Juan/Gen 1" designation for years, and most non-clone guys selling them don't know or usually list a generation, so here's some pics to visually compare to including an original Holland stock versus one I got NIB sold as a Gen 2 (but is actually "Gen 3" per the old post):

Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:58:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#35]
Well, I finally got it together. I got the 80% finished and assembled, threw some paint on the upper and lower, and the rings came in today. I need to go a shade darker on the lower to better match the "in the wild" photo (posted on page 67) but this will do for know.
I guess I need to throw it down the driveway a few time for that just right look... not.
Can't decide between the B5 gen1 poopy brown and a LMT gen1 black. Neither is correct for this build, neither is the scope, but will do until I can find a correct ACE.

I won't be able to do a range report until later this week.

Now the wait for my AEM5 sucks even more.

PRI 80% A1 lower, JohnB engraved
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Old CMMG ambi selector
B5 gen 1 poopy brown because finding a correct ACE is farking impossible
Colt C stamped keyhole (Cerro Forge) upper
Colt C stamped BCG and MPC (with white paint dot) bolt
PRI M84 charging handle with military big latch
PRI Bergara 16" barrel with FDE coating
KAC URX 4 13" handguard
PRI gas block
Allen ALE22 mount kit (collar, break, thread protector, shims)
NF A203 rings
Leupold 3.5-10x40 illuminated mil-dot (sku 53672 built 2004)
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:39:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#36]
No offense man, but that is some ugly **** right there...   Pri or Die baby!  I know it's ITW good, but man.

Maybe it will look better with the AEM5 on it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#37]
No offense man, but that is some ugly **** right there...   Pri or Die baby!
View Quote
Hehehe, I like different.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I want one of those Ba deals For 200, including bbl, upper receiver, gas block and gas tube
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:04:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#39]
Army Pilot,  get some ultra flat dark green rusttoleum paint, and spray it lightly from about 2ft away at the tan. it will.tone it down to a good "darker dirty khaki" look

ps get some pri stuff, that just looks like a recce rifle now lol
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Gonna go by Wallyworld and see if I can find some paint that is a couple shades darker. If not I'll try dusting it with some flat OD.
I gots plenty of PRI suff on her now. Wanted to do the last iteration of the Mk12 while it's still in the system.

URX4 is love, URX4 is life.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 11:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#41]
my aem5 paperwork was kicked back for euro optics signature. Mike got it resigned and sent back this week....he said rhat means we are close. prolly next two weeks! ill be just shy of a YEAR!!!!

my next pic in here will be of a completed Mk12 weapons system, at the range, shooting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Wasn't feeling the 1-6 on Holly.  As you can clearly see, when it comes to the Hollands I really dgaf about correctness

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
my aem5 paperwork was kicked back for euro optics signature. Mike got it resigned and sent back this week....he said rhat means we are close. prolly next two weeks! ill be just shy of a YEAR!!!!

my next pic in here will be of a completed Mk12 weapons system, at the range, shooting.
View Quote
I'm around 6 months right now for mine.  Thanks for the "good" news?  
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 7:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#44]
APPROVED. stamp is at dealer! 347 days

ill blow this page up on saturday with pics ;)
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 7:51:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JuanPing] [#45]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
APPROVED. stamp is at dealer! 347 days

ill blow this page up on saturday with pics ;)
View Quote
. I'm only at a little over 220 days...

Some groups out of the 16" Bergara from PRI that I shot for the first time this afternoon.

ETA: Was messing around with the scope, hence the different POI in relation to the POA.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Just passing it along, saw two, new in box AEM5 cans while at Silent Industries in Madison Al

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#47]
PSA - My Mod H w/Reece rail upper in the EE isn't getting much love, so dropped the price to $700 shipped.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/MK12-Mod-H-Holland-Uppper/159-1892413/
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks great!

I miss the beat to hell Fiocchi box tho...
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#50]
i laminated the spare one with tape to preserve it....the other one is the original, and its dwindling LOL

they still come to the range any rime i shoot OTM! :)
Page / 115
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top