User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 26
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 5pt56:

@InternationalM I am just going to say to defer to @Chenault because I think his response applies here. My 2 cents is that if it's not the KAC FSGB then it won't be a SAM-R but it could be a DMR rifle. I say get it, build it and enjoy the rifle but don't call it a SAM-R. If at some point you get a shot at a KAC FSGB then convert and sell off any parts that are no longer needed.

I didn't really answer your question directly because I think it's extremely subjective. Some may say it's a good stand in while others would say absolutely not.
View Quote
I plan to use it as a stand in until I find the correct sight. I can get the whole upper for 50 bucks since it kb’d.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By InternationalM:

I plan to use it as a stand in until I find the correct sight. I can get the whole upper for 50 bucks since it kb’d.
View Quote
For that money I would be in!!! Dooooo ittttt!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By chenault:

I'm going to be honest, nothing.  You are going to spend money on a front site that looks close, but isn't and it will drive you nuts and you won't be happy.  Better to just build a mod 1 and just keep waiting.  The two use a lot of common.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I've seen this cycle many times.
View Quote
What about the PRI gas block/flip sight?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BNW:

What about the PRI gas block/flip sight?
View Quote
I always thought the PRI fsgb looked pretty good. To me that is still a DMR but IMO a good stand in. I really like the PRI fsgb's. Especially the original ones.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys,
Since photobucket took a dump and ghosted most of the pics on this thread, I need some help.

Any ITW pics of a  Mark 4 3-9 x 36 mm MR/T Illuminated riflescope with M1 turrets?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
M1 turrets were never used
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
M1 turrets were never used
View Quote
I thought that on pg. 792 of the MK12 thread there were pictures posted of a SAM-R out of an armory that had M1 turrets? I know it's a stretch but I guess I'm reaching because I have a 3-9x36mm Leupy.

If that doesn't cut it then the only correct glass is the 2.5-8x36 mm 112633?

Thanks for your help @Samson-Dogg!
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I spent 3 years acquiring the two 3-9x36 M3 scopes I have. During that time I lobbied hard about M1 knobs. I was always told no. They were ever used. I think someone gave me an explanation why only M3’s were used. That being said some new info or pictures may have come out. I know back then I would have loved to have been able to go with M1’s. There is some good info on pg 792 of the MK12 thread.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ve also learned there were a lot of personally owned scopes mounted on different guns. To me it seems totally plausible. I just caught hell on a regular basis for pushing the idea.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
What by cloners?  No way.....  

Can we get a pic of said optics??????
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Any information on what light was used on the SAM-R and SDM-R?
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:
Any information on what light was used on the SAM-R and SDM-R?
View Quote
That's a great question. I've been looking for the finer specs such as light and laser myself  but keep coming up dry.

I would imagine if it wasn't actually spec'd in the deployment kit then it would have been whatever the Marine carrying her had such as a 952 or none at all. Just like the laser, I THINK would have been the PEQ-2a but can't seem to find anything to confirm either. Not even Google searching....thanks again Photobucket for shitting the bed....
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#13]
@JAR-SPR

Found this for you. Helmand province circa 2010. I'm fairly certain that it's a SAM-R. The one on each side of him are (M16A4s). They have the A2 FSP.

U.S. Marines from Lima Company 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines

Link Posted: 4/22/2018 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve also learned there were a lot of personally owned scopes mounted on different guns. To me it seems totally plausible. I just caught hell on a regular basis for pushing the idea.
View Quote
Thank you for the help. Seems I'll either take a beating and put the M1 turret Leupy on mine until I find the right one or throw the ACOG on it even though that's correct, I don't really want to go that route.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#15]
@JAR-SPR

Found this for you. Helmand province circa 2010. I'm fairly certain that it's a SAM-R. The one on each side of him are (M16A4s). They have the A2 FSP.

http://i.imgur.com/tfRNXHk.jpg
View Quote
@5pt56

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 4/22/2018 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
@JAR-SPR

http://i.imgur.com/tfRNXHk.jpg
View Quote
Not a Sam R. Look at the ring in the back. M5 ras and it's an A2 FSB, picture distorted the back of it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By aaron580:

Not a Sam R. Look at the ring in the back. M5 ras and it's an A2 FSB, picture distorted the back of it.
View Quote
Ah, you are correct.

@JAR-SPR Well that's my bad. I tried! I'm waiting to hear back from my crayon eating buddy who I'm hoping can confirm some things.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Ah, you are correct.

@JAR-SPR Well that's my bad. I tried! I'm waiting to hear back from my crayon eating buddy who I'm hoping can confirm some things.
View Quote
You are a parts buying asshole, but we're both in this game together, so I gotta help when I can
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Wasn’t the M5 RAS w/ACOG known as the west coast SAM-R?
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By aaron580:

You are a parts buying asshole, but we're both in this game together, so I gotta help when I can
View Quote

@Samson-Dogg
Yes and no. They were in fact KAC M5s with ACOGs and nicknamed " The West coast SAM-R" but in reality they weren't anything more than an M16A4. They were not accuratized like the true SAM-R.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah that's just an A4 from my perspective......
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Yeah that's just an A4 from my perspective......
View Quote
Its obvious, it has a delta ring.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MikeE23666:

Its obvious, it has a delta ring.
View Quote
We had moved on from that and all agreed that it is obvious it has a delta ring. Not what the recent comments were talking about still but thank you for the input.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]

@Samson-Dogg
Yes and no. They were in fact KAC M5s with ACOGs and nicknamed " The West coast SAM-R" but in reality they weren't anything more than an M16A4. They were not accuratized like the true SAM-R.
View Quote
Like I've always gotta ask lol, how effective were the "west coast SAM-R's" always looking for different perspectives, I like hearing about the m16a4 doing DMR type work.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone know what barrels were used for the prototype SAM-R? We know the compass lake Krieger barrels were used with the KAC gas blocks but had they already gone to Krieger barrels when they used the Quantico built gas blocks were used?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Just in case anyone needs the Knights rail system...

CLICK ME!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#27]
So I'm still trying to find a high-res image of the correct poster, but there's a USMC recruiting poster this year of the back of the "battles won" statue, basically a statue of a rifleman with an M4 covered in other statues and models of pieces of USMC equipment.
Among those pieces of equipment is the barrel and gas system pulled out of a SAMR, the gas block is unmistakable. Where they got a barrel unit without the rest of the rifle to model for this in 2017-18 is beyond me, but it's still pretty cool. If anyone has or can find the poster of the back of the statue, it's on the guys beltline, on the right hand side.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is my contribution to the SDM-R thread.
Just got in a Compass Lake Engineering built SDM-R.
-Compass Lake 18in Match bead blasted stainless barrel, 1-7in twist
-Surefire MB556AR muzzzle device
-Daniel Defense 12.0in M4 Rail
-Anchor Hartley mil spec forged upper receiver

Very interested to learn more about the history of the SAM-R and SDM-R program!
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:26:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Do y'all ever shoot your SAM-R ???

I do

Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#31]
If any one has a KAC fsgb they will sell email me. Seems to be almost impossible to find one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:09:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frens] [#32]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:
Do y'all ever shoot your SAM-R ???

I do

https://i.imgur.com/h0lTPi1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9fNhzgi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eTLNpuu.jpg
View Quote
I do regularly.
I’ve converted an old Colt Match Target into a SDM-ish gun.

Last weekend I shot a just under 1.5moa 10 rounds group with Hornady Black 75g and a 4x acog.. the rifle/ammo combo has potential and will be testing again with a 2-8x scope.
If the idiot behind the trigger improves the basic trigger control skills I feel the rifle can do even better
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Seems unlikely.

You have to be a super gear queer to have your own $1500 scope to mount on your rifle... That's if you can even get away with it.

That also ignores the possibility that the entire "system" might be tracked by all the serial numbers at once. Rifle, scope, etc. That is how the Mk12s were tracked by SOCOM. Rifle/Optic/suppressor as a package, and there was no splitting them up on a normal basis.

A company armorer being proactive and taking the optic from a dead lined sniper rifle and then putting it on a rifle with a dead lined optic? Maybe.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By USGI:
Seems unlikely.

You have to be a super gear queer to have your own $1500 scope to mount on your rifle... That's if you can even get away with it.

That also ignores the possibility that the entire "system" might be tracked by all the serial numbers at once. Rifle, scope, etc. That is how the Mk12s were tracked by SOCOM. Rifle/Optic/suppressor as a package, and there was no splitting them up on a normal basis.

A company armorer being proactive and taking the optic from a dead lined sniper rifle and then putting it on a rifle with a dead lined optic? Maybe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Seems unlikely.

Have you spoken with any SDM users recently?

What do you call this? That's not a scope anywhere in inventory that I'm aware of. *Maybe* unit purchase but I've got a few first-hand accounts that when SDM-Rs got refreshed they came back with different parts, and that some guys were running scopes instead of ACOGs, and they weren't issued scopes.

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Just went through some old pics and figured I should share these. We got the SAM-R around early 2005 in Iraq. The rifle was my Team Leader's and I would occasionally use it for static spotting duties, but never patrolled with it. We didn't have any SR-25's/Mk11's during this deployment, but got those later in 2005. It was a nice shooting rifle, but I'd rather build or buy a M110/Mk11.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#36]
Those are really good pics.  Thanks for posting them!  And thank you for taking the vacation in the desert for your fellow Americans.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Free-fly:
Just went through some old pics and figured I should share these. We got the SAM-R around early 2005 in Iraq. The rifle was my Team Leader's and I would occasionally use it for static spotting duties, but never patrolled with it. We didn't have any SR-25's/Mk11's during this deployment, but got those later in 2005. It was a nice shooting rifle, but I'd rather build or buy a M110/Mk11.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/345250/SAM-R_04_jpg-818580.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/345250/SAM-R_01_jpg-818581.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/345250/SAM-R_02_jpg-818582.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/345250/SAM-R_03_jpg-818583.JPG
View Quote
Can you tell me which exact optic is on this system here in the pic?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By hypersport750:

Thanks
View Quote
I do remember that is was a variable 3-9x Leupold, but don't know what the model name was. The rifle was fairly new, so it was probably the one spec'd for it. I do know that the Barrett SASR in the background of one pic had the 10x Unertl.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I do remember that is was a variable 3-9x Leupold, but don't know what the model name was. The rifle was fairly new, so it was probably the one spec'd for it. I do know that the Barrett SASR in the background of one pic had the 10x Unertl.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hypersport750:

Thanks
If it wasn't a TS30A2, then it would have been the 3-9x36 MR/T with M3 knobs and illum Mildot. It seems based on supply/demand with the Mk12 SPR system both marked and unmarked 3-9s were supplied by Leupold. I'd have to look really close at your pics but it's hard to tell if there are TS30 markings on it.

Oh, and awesome with having the NT4 on there, I don't know if pics had surfaced of NT4s on there but I'd heard from some other motivators it was done, and some even had their rifles painted. We always appreciate any new SAM-R pics, there really weren't a lot of those rifles around.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#40]
The scope is TS30 A2 marked...you can make out the fuzzy lettering in the first picture
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:45:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

What do you call this? That's not a scope anywhere in inventory that I'm aware of. *Maybe* unit purchase but I've got a few first-hand accounts that when SDM-Rs got refreshed they came back with different parts, and that some guys were running scopes instead of ACOGs, and they weren't issued scopes.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27540433_10155927534769435_2461800623271053408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=b32cbcc18c5bbe4ac9c6d34db111777e&oe=5CFA673F
View Quote
Congrats. You found the one guy that bought himself a Nikon. Maybe even from Larue, who would sell optics / combos AT COST to GIs if you visited their store (within driving distance of Ft.Hood).
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Congrats. You found the one guy that bought himself a Nikon. Maybe even from Larue, who would sell optics / combos AT COST to GIs if you visited their store (within driving distance of Ft.Hood).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27540433_10155927534769435_2461800623271053408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=b32cbcc18c5bbe4ac9c6d34db111777e&oe=5CFA673F
The guy I was referring to isn't even the dude in the photo, but cool if you're going to get all salty about it. Start actively seeking out guys that carried SDM rifles, there were a whole bunch with 3rd ID. The photos are predominately ACOGs but asking around there were definitely instances of guys buying different glass.

I suppose you can have fun telling them their SDM-Rs didn't come back from a rebuild with non-fluted HBARs and PRS stocks too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bildoe308] [#43]
Anymore Suppressor Pics with a SAM-R?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Can anyone make out what the FF RAS markings are in the second pic down in the above string? The rail has a purple hue to it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Can anyone make out what the FF RAS markings are in the second pic down in the above string? The rail has a purple hue to it.
View Quote
Based upon the other context clues of the rail. Lettering distance, counting the side holes in the rail and comparing to the other letting varieties on the same handguard, etc, etc I'm fairly certain it's "5.56 M4 MATCH (FF) RAS P/N #99167" like this....

Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Ive had a few purple RAS over the years...
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Based upon the other context clues of the rail. Lettering distance, counting the side holes in the rail and comparing to the other letting varieties on the same handguard, etc, etc I'm fairly certain it's "5.56 M4 MATCH (FF) RAS P/N #99167" like this....

http://i.imgur.com/TQVktb0.jpg
View All Quotes

http://i.imgur.com/TQVktb0.jpg
It caught my eye because one of my M4 MATCH marked rails has that purple hue. I wanted to use my SNIPER marked ras on a SAM-R but I guess I’ll use that one on the prototype SAM-R clone I’m doing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#48]

It caught my eye because one of my M4 MATCH marked rails has that purple hue. I wanted to use my SNIPER marked ras on a SAM-R but I guess I’ll use that one on the prototype SAM-R clone I’m doing.
View Quote
This is only my opinion but I don't think anyone will dispute you using a SNIPER marked rail for a SAM-R! That is badass! And just when I thought I was doing good with my match marked handguard.....

Link Posted: 4/28/2019 8:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#49]
If anyone is looking for an unfired PERFECT SAM-R......here's your chance...

Shameless plug here
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 26
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top