Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1045 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:08:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By krdt:
Say what you will about DD 10.3" barrels not being Colt for clone points, but that's one of the reasons I like them (especially now that they are .070). I don't have to wonder, "Will it be 10.2? 10.3? 10.4 or worse?" Even if that weren't an issue, they are CHF and generally all-around awesome barrels. I don't feel the least bit bad running a DD 10.3 :D.

Now, if only they hadn't fucked up and decided to use that god awful proprietary FSB, I could get one for the Mod 0/CQBR B1 come replacement time. I mean, I guess I could buy a blank and have a fresh FSB pinned, but that's the kind of hassle and extra expense I prefer to avoid. Why can't DD just use a normal goddamn FSB? Makes that Crane spec BA 10.3" w/ FSB from Andro Corp very tempting.
View Quote
I'm right there with you on the fsb. I wasn't in any way bashing the dd barrel. I was only stating that my almost 10.4 colt could be viewed as clone incorrect as a dd barrel. The dd barrel availability and longevity make them a very good choice for cloning/ shooting. I've gone back and forth between the andro and dd barrel option many times. Aren't dd socom profile barrels going to be used near future, or do I got my facts mixed up?
Eta-technically not correct-10.3" colt socom barrel

Eta- the armorers at crane are human too, so I'm sure there are examples of everything from 10.25" to 10.38 somewhere out there. This is purely hypothetical, with absolutely no proof to back it up. Just a thought. Depending on quality control on any given day, there is a definite possibility of some barrels getting through that exceed the high or low end of their specs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ankratz] [#2]
RIS II MK18 FSP FAKENEWS

20180621_150512 by A K, on Flickr
20180621_151138 by A K, on Flickr
20180621_151209 by A K, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The middle one has DD 10.3" mil barrel. The tother 2 has factory Colt 10.3"s.

Swapped out SD-3Gs for SSPs today !!

Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:
I'm right there with you on the fsb. I wasn't in any way bashing the dd barrel. I was only stating that my almost 10.4 colt could be viewed as clone incorrect as a dd barrel. The dd barrel availability and longevity make them a very good choice for cloning/ shooting. I've gone back and forth between the andro and dd barrel option many times. Aren't dd socom profile barrels going to be used near future, or do I got my facts mixed up?
http://i.imgur.com/eYaENxg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TxdaqMf.jpg

Eta- the armorers at crane are human too, so I'm sure there are examples of everything from 10.25" to 10.38 somewhere out there. This is purely hypothetical, with absolutely no proof to back it up. Just a thought. Depending on quality control on any given day, there is a definite possibility of some barrels getting through that exceed the high or low end of their specs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Say what you will about DD 10.3" barrels not being Colt for clone points, but that's one of the reasons I like them (especially now that they are .070). I don't have to wonder, "Will it be 10.2? 10.3? 10.4 or worse?" Even if that weren't an issue, they are CHF and generally all-around awesome barrels. I don't feel the least bit bad running a DD 10.3 :D.

Now, if only they hadn't fucked up and decided to use that god awful proprietary FSB, I could get one for the Mod 0/CQBR B1 come replacement time. I mean, I guess I could buy a blank and have a fresh FSB pinned, but that's the kind of hassle and extra expense I prefer to avoid. Why can't DD just use a normal goddamn FSB? Makes that Crane spec BA 10.3" w/ FSB from Andro Corp very tempting.

Nah, it's all good. I didn't think you were bashing the DD barrel.

So, I just totally spent some money I didn't need to :\.

Looks like I have a 4 prong now, though :D.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:

https://i.imgur.com/pAiuilp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fQWbVST.jpg
View Quote
How do you like the SSP compared to the SD3G? Any trigger time yet? Guessing not if you swapped today ;p.

I've played around with the idea of swapping one (or more) of my S3Gs for SSPs, but I'm still on the fence. I know academically what to expect, but it's one of those things where I'm probably not going to know for sure until I actually try one. It'd have to be damn snazzy to replace my S3Gs. Still, hearing some feedback is always good.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MNRidesHonda] [#6]

How do you like the SSP compared to the SD3G? Any trigger time yet? Guessing not if you swapped today ;p.

I've played around with the idea of swapping one (or more) of my S3Gs for SSPs, but I'm still on the fence. I know academically what to expect, but it's one of those things where I'm probably not going to know for sure until I actually try one. It'd have to be damn snazzy to replace my S3Gs. Still, hearing some feedback is always good.
View Quote
Honestly the S3G/SD3G are much lighter with shorter/faster reset; which is awesome. I've been using them since they first came out in 2010ish so I do have a few years behind them and I do love them.

That being said I've alway use them for fun; also people said you can't use them for precision shooting but truth be told I've shot very tight groups with them. But the thing is, fun is all that they are. For serious duty uses tho I prefer a slightly heavier trigger.

I've been using SSA/SSAE for duty use but I never like 2-stage trigger on CQB-type rifle. This is where the SSP shines. Even thought it's not a light or fast as the 3G trigger it is by no mean heavy or has a long reset. I dry fired the 2 I installed today a bunch of times and I am honestly very happy and will be buying a few more of them for sure.

ETA: all of my S3G/SD3G have what to me feel like a slight trigger slap when reseting; I think this is due to the very short reset. I don't feel that in any of my SSA/SSAE/SSF, Match DMR, and the newly installed SSP which is also another thing I'm very happy about.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:

https://i.imgur.com/pAiuilp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fQWbVST.jpg
View Quote
Nice gunz
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
Dat purple
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Very nice score on the 4p!  At that price, you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:03:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Dat purple
View Quote
It will never get painted. I paired that upper with the ris ii since I don't plan to paint it either.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:20:22 AM EDT
[#12]
It will never get painted. I paired that upper with the ris ii since I don't plan to paint it either.
View All Quotes

Dat purple
I was issued an A4 that turned a wonderful purple. I wouldn't mind cloning it one day.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes

Yeah, figured it'd be silly to pass it up. Actually more excited than I thought I'd be to get a 4 prong, lol.

Now I'll just have to boil up the 3 prong like a lobster and get the Rocksett loosened up :\.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:34:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#14]
View Quote
Don't get me started on those guys at Crane on 10.3" bbls (cut down 14.5"s).  Always couple barrels in each batch they send us that the thread pitch is off on muzzle.  Go to screw on a Surefire 4P and strip the threads on the barrel!  Haven't had that issue on the new FN SOCOM 10.3" barrels.

CD
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Yeah, figured it'd be silly to pass it up. Actually more excited than I thought I'd be to get a 4 prong, lol.

Now I'll just have to boil up the 3 prong like a lobster and get the Rocksett loosened up :\.
View Quote
Hell of a score. I guess I have to be nice now about your quantity of prongs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry if this is the most autistic thing ever, but is it possible to pin and weld a surefire training suppressor? Would that make it over 16"?

I'm thinking this is the best option for a block ii if I cant get any tax stamps.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rusten:
Sorry if this is the most autistic thing ever, but is it possible to pin and weld a surefire training suppressor? Would that make it over 16"?

I'm thinking this is the best option for a block ii if I cant get any tax stamps.
View Quote
You can pin and weld cans..
Why would you not be able to get a stamp though?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
Barrel length would be right at 16" with an RC attached. You would need to have someone on here with an actual 10.3" barrel place a 16" rod down on a closed bolt and see if it protrudes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By wissota4:
View All Quotes

Parents don’t let me -_-
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Is it possible to take off a DD FSB and put a regular one on the DD barrel?  Or would the pin holes be in the wrong place?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Nevermind, I see they sell stripped barrels.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Parents don’t let me -_-
View Quote
Are you still living under their roof? If so then I agree to abide by their rules.

If you live on your own then sorry, they have no say in what you do with your time or money.

Ultimately I wouldn't bother with the time and money involved in pinning and welding a training suppressor. Just build the rifle how you want in pistol format and save the money for purchasing a real suppressor when you move out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wissota4] [#23]
Originally Posted By JSchell1309:

Are you still living under their roof? If so then I agree to abide by their rules.

If you live on your own then sorry, they have no say in what you do with your time or money.

Ultimately I wouldn't bother with the time and money involved in pinning and welding a training suppressor. Just build the rifle how you want in pistol format and save the money for purchasing a real suppressor when you move out.
View Quote
This.
You can avoid a sbr stamp if you go with a pistol brace.
Many people choose this route.
Where in mn are you?
@Rusten
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#24]

View Quote
It’s not at all. The best option is for you to throw a block ii CQBR on a pistol lower, then once you’re old enough that your parents have no say you can tax stamp that lower to an SBR and remove the pistol brace for a stock.

ETA just realized you’re obviously not 21 yet, so that pistol lower MIGHT need to be in your parents name until then
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#25]
This.
Where in mn are you?
@Rusten
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JSchell1309:

This.
Where in mn are you?
@Rusten
Anoka county, how about you?

I’ve really debated the pistol route but it just looks so ugly IMO. If I pin and weld it will look exactly alike (minus the bigger hole in the can).
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#26]
And yes I live under their roof but I’m over 21. I’m not bummed about not getting the stamp either, some small compromises but I save boatloads of cash.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#27]

I’ve really debated the pistol route but it just looks so ugly IMO. If I pin and weld it will look exactly alike (minus the bigger hole in the can).
View Quote
Personally, with the release of the SBA3, the pistol brace on a Mk18 doesn't look as bad as it used to. Even better since it's quickly adjustable and simply slides over a milspec M4 extension. It's the best option to have the build as a pistol while you wait for a tax stamp.

The Surefire may be incredibly difficult to pin and weld since it is not direct thread and has a rotating ring for a lock collar. You may be paying quite a bit of money to a gun smith to figure that out. It may not work in the end.

I don't mean to get too far out of discussion here, but honestly if you are living with your parents I would put cloning rifles on hold and I would start saving up for moving out.

Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#28]
And yes I live under their roof but I’m over 21. I’m not bummed about not getting the stamp either, some small compromises but I save boatloads of cash.
View Quote
Oh.

Well if going for a B2 CQBR I still say pistol lower that way you have the benefits of the short gun and not excess length with a fake can.

But if it was me and didn’t want pistol I would do the 14.5” block II pin/weld muzzle device, that way I would get something out of the excess length (velocity increase) and not just dead space if you know what I mean
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like some of you are not using the beveled spacer that comes with the surefire muzzle devices, any reason for that?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By WTXSBR01001:
Looks like some of you are not using the beveled spacer that comes with the surefire muzzle devices, any reason for that?
View Quote
I am using the beveled spacer on mine above, but the angle of the photo the rail blocks. it.

The purpose of the bevel is to overcome any kind of chamfer that may be on the barrel from the cutting procedure (shown in red below). If someone is using a well cut barrel that doesn't have a ledge there and is more of a 90degree angle then they shouldn't need the beveled washer.

Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wissota4] [#31]

View Quote
Princeton.

I agree that the braces now days are looking pretty nice. And there's no dicking around. Just slap a brace on the lower and go.

ETA.   Also, if you have your carry permit, you can just throw the sucker in the car, loaded if you want, and drive to range, or wherever. No need for permission to cross state line either.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#32]
For a mod 0 with a cut carry handle,  is the handle cut with a saw? Or is it milled nice?

Just want to know if the bandsaw will do or if I should throw it in the mill.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Wissota- I did mine with an angle grinder. Touched up with black paint. Turned out perfect. Use whatever but aim for the shape of the LMT, close as you can
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Wissota- I did mine with an angle grinder. Touched up with black paint. Turned out perfect. Use whatever but aim for the shape of the LMT, close as you can
View Quote
Thanks milspec. Have pics of yours by chance?

Text em or post here if you could plzz
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm sure they're in this thread somewhere. It was probably 3-4 years ago so its most likely on my old phone. But let me check my backed up pics to look
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Lol. I would get so lost trying to go back and look for them here.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Lol. I would get so lost trying to go back and look for them here.
View Quote
So its definitely on my old phone but since Google apparently is not your friend, I hooked it up phat with that good good.

This is exactly how I did it except I skipped cut number 1 because its a useless cut. Make those 2 rear cuts then just round it off smooth to match the LMT, hit bare metal with black paint. Wear a SARS mask to be sure not to get any metal shavings, paint fumes, or foreign cock materials in your suck and enjoy.

Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#38]

So its definitely on my old phone but since Google apparently is not your friend, I hooked it up phat with that good good.

This is exactly how I did it except I skipped cut number 1 because its a useless cut. Make those 2 rear cuts then just round it off smooth to match the LMT, hit bare metal with black paint. Wear a SARS mask to be sure not to get any metal shavings, paint fumes, or foreign cock materials in your suck and enjoy.

https://i.imgur.com/DrOPCdj.jpg
View Quote
Damn brother, you hooked it up real good.
Google is not my friend.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Google is not my friend.
Thanks.
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/DrOPCdj.jpg
Google is not my friend.
Thanks.
Shit yeah. I'm not here to kick ass and I'm out of bubble gum anyways so its the least I could do

Show us how it goes. Honestly its pretty hard to mess up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eMc9001] [#40]
So what else is kosher besides an A2? As an Electrician who abuses his wrists everyday I'm not very fond of the grip angle on the A2 lately. The Ergo is tit's on my MK12 and I know I've seen a picture of a Magpul Miad before which both of those are way more comfortable.

Edit: Retard alert, should have read page 1 again which I've looked at a 1000 times.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:08:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wissota4] [#41]

Shit yeah. I'm not here to kick ass and I'm out of bubble gum anyways so its the least I could do

Show us how it goes. Honestly its pretty hard to mess up.
View Quote
If that guy ever ships it to me, I'll snap pics of the cut job fo sho.
I may run as the handle for a bit first
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#42]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
So what else is kosher besides an A2? As an Electrician who abuses his wrists everyday I'm not very fond of the grip angle on the A2 lately. The Ergo is tit's on my MK12 and I know I've seen a picture of a Magpul Miad before which both of those are way more comfortable.

Edit: Retard alert, should have read page 1 again which I've looked at a 1000 times.
View Quote
Ergo is kosher. Got one on my pistol build

edit- should have read edit

Edit- pic
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Ergo is kosher. Got one on my pistol build

edit- should have read edit

Edit- pic
http://i.imgur.com/yUF4GKv.jpg
View Quote
Sweet, Ordering one. That blue-ing (sp) on that colt upper tho, look's great man.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I was issued an A4 that turned a wonderful purple. I wouldn't mind cloning it one day.
View All Quotes

Dat purple
Whatcha waitin for? Do it! I've got two colt square forge (meuller brass I believe) and both have the purple tint to the anodizing. Plus it helps that most times the square forge uppers are $20 to $30 cheaper than keyhole for some reason. So I'd start there. Many of the square forge colt uppers I've seen in the EE appear to have that purple tint.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Whatcha waitin for? Do it! I've got two colt square forge (meuller brass I believe) and both have the purple tint to the anodizing. Plus it helps that most times the square forge uppers are $20 to $30 cheaper than keyhole for some reason. So I'd start there. Many of the square forge colt uppers I've seen in the EE appear to have that purple tint.
View Quote
I have a couple purple ras'

I like it lol
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

Yep, looks like prong quantity will be intensifying :\.

Not sure I understand the logic here. They don't mind you having a gun in their house, but they care whether it has a tax stamp? What difference would that make?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Not sure I understand the logic here. They don't mind you having a gun in their house, but they care whether it has a tax stamp? What difference would that make?
View All Quotes

I took it as pops don't want the ATF associated with his address/name. In which case I don't really blame pops.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes

Dat purple
Money

Just spent a good chunk on glass for the Holland.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I took it as pops don't want the ATF associated with his address/name. In which case I don't really blame pops.
View All Quotes

The person filing the form is really the only one getting the scrutiny, but fair enough I suppose. Hell, we're probably all on a list somewhere just for posting regularly on this site, lol.

If it were me, obviously I'd go the pistol route and file the F1 later. Not giving up very much with an SBA3 or SBM4.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Money

Just spent a good chunk on glass for the Holland.
View Quote
That will do it. I think I'd have to sell 90% of my mk18 collection just to build one good spr. Those can be some expensive builds for sure.
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1045 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top