AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 923 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jormungandr:
All I know is the warcomp feels a mile long lol.

Thought about just getting a standard 3 prong instead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jormungandr:
Originally Posted By ChandlerKJ:
Does anyone have a comparison photo of all the different RC compatible muzzle devices from Surefire? Which one is the absolute shortest?
All I know is the warcomp feels a mile long lol.

Thought about just getting a standard 3 prong instead.
Just did some googling and the closed tine FH (non warcomp type) is the shortest of all the RC compatible muzzle devices. 2.33 inches. Going to pick one up for my mod 0. If someone has a pic of their mod 0 with one please post it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Posting in here because I know a lot of guys shoot their Mk18s under NODs.

I recently bought a 5/8" Wilcox Riser system for my CQBRish clone, so that I could shoot through the EXPS passively.  My first time out, I realized that I can't keep my front BUIS on the riser because it blocks the IR laser from my ATPIAL-C.  The BUIS i'm using is the KAC micro, not the 99501.  So I'm wondering if anyone has this setup and knows if the 99501 works, if any other BUIS work, or if I'm just SOL.  Thanks!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BTooneUSMMA:

I recently bought a 5/8" Wilcox Riser system for my CQBRish clone, so that I could shoot through the EXPS passively.  My first time out, I realized that I can't keep my front BUIS on the riser because it blocks the IR laser from my ATPIAL-C.  The BUIS i'm using is the KAC micro, not the 99501.  So I'm wondering if anyone has this setup and knows if the 99501 works, if any other BUIS work, or if I'm just SOL.  Thanks!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209203/20171017_201334-337324.JPG
View Quote
It does not work with the 99051 either, @cmcflex actually just stated the same about his 99051 a page or 2 back.

I think he said the PEQ-2 did work tho, I'm not sure on the dbal's or PEQ-16.

Honestly bro I would prob just ditch the BUIS. If the EOTech did go down you can just use the center of the window in a pinch, or even the shitty vis laser if close distance. I like having BUIS for peace of mind but if it comes to NODs or BUIS, ditch the BUIS.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

It does not work with the 99051 either, @cmcflex actually just stated the same about his 99051 a page or 2 back.

I think he said the PEQ-2 did work tho, I'm not sure on the dbal's or PEQ-16.

Honestly bro I would prob just ditch the BUIS. If the EOTech did go down you can just use the center of the window in a pinch, or even the shitty vis laser if close distance. I like having BUIS for peace of mind but if it comes to NODs or BUIS, ditch the BUIS.
View Quote
Thanks brother!  Of course my question just got answered, I went an entire 2 days without checking this thread and just posted without reading what I'd missed! As for the BUIS, I've really only got them on there because the Marine in me likes to shoot with irons every few range outings, so not really a loss.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't use the riser is the easiest way to fix. Non riser based system works just fine, I use my APTIAL-C all the time.

I literally never use the Eotech window as with NOD use, shooting from center chest with the laser as aiming point works amazingly well and I'm never running the risk of having the reticle too bright/burning in

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:50:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#6]
Originally Posted By elucidate:
Don't use the riser is the easiest way to fix. Non riser based system works just fine, I use my APTIAL-C all the time.

I literally never use the Eotech window as with NOD use, shooting from center chest with the laser as aiming point works amazingly well and I'm never running the risk of having the reticle too bright/burning in

http://i64.tinypic.com/b515jr.jpg
View Quote
The point of using the optic is twofold.  First, you don't have to deal with the offset of the aiming laser on the ATPIAL.  You can zero the LAM in a constant offset method, which eliminates this issue, though.  The other thing is LAMs are not passive.  Anyone else with NODs can see your illuminator and laser.  Aiming through the optic using head mounted NODs eliminates this issue as much as possible.

Personally, I'd rather have the option be able to aim through the optic using my head mounted NOD than have BUIS.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:21:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elucidate] [#7]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:

The point of using the optic is twofold.  First, you don't have to deal with the offset of the aiming laser on the ATPIAL.  You can zero the LAM in a constant offset method, which eliminates this issue, though.  The other thing is LAMs are not passive.  Anyone else with NODs can see your illuminator and laser.  Aiming through the optic using head mounted NODs eliminates this issue as much as possible.

Personally, I'd rather have the option be able to aim through the optic using my head mounted NOD than have BUIS.
View Quote
Outside of the military I don't see constant offset zeros being useful. In the civilian/LE world, if you're running high risk warrants or killing pigs, your target ID is max 200yds in reality. Which means a collimated zero at 100 is going to get you a max deviation of 1" closer than 100 and 2" out to max distance. I really don't see passive illumination being a thing anyone outside of the military need to worry about. 

However, your Eotech running out of batteries, or breaking on a warrant situation, those BUIS suddenly become absolutely fundamental.

EDIT to add - My viewpoint is that of an LE and Civilian trainer, I left the Army over ten years ago now so my viewpoints are formed by liability and needs of a primarily LE user base.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:30:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#8]
Outside of the military I don't see constant offset zeros being useful. In the civilian/LE world, if you're running high risk warrants or killing pigs, your target ID is max 200yds in reality. Which means a collimated zero at 100 is going to get you a max deviation of 1" closer than 100 and 2" out to max distance. I really don't see passive illumination being a thing anyone outside of the military need to worry about. 

However, your Eotech running out of batteries, or breaking on a warrant situation, those BUIS suddenly become absolutely fundamental.

EDIT to add - My viewpoint is that of an LE and Civilian trainer, I left the Army over ten years ago now so my viewpoints are formed by liability and needs of a primarily LE user base.
View Quote
All valid points.  Every person has to choose what works best for their needs.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ChandlerKJ:

Just did some googling and the closed tine FH (non warcomp type) is the shortest of all the RC compatible muzzle devices. 2.33 inches. Going to pick one up for my mod 0. If someone has a pic of their mod 0 with one please post it.
View Quote
Hmm, after looking at the CT more closely, that would be more than tolerable on a Mod 0. Hell, I might be crazy, but I wouldn't even mind an SFCT on a CQBR. The SF3P I'm running currently is already incorrect, but I suppose it's a lot closer to kosher than the CT. Nonetheless, that SFCT looks pretty shnazzy. I think I'll be grabbing one when a decent sale comes around.

Speaking of SF flash hiders, I wonder how suppressor wear compares between the 3/4 prong and the SFCT. I know the SFMB acts as a sacrificial baffle and offers the most suppressor life, but I wonder how the others impact the service life. Probably doesn't vary much between the FHs, but I'd still be curious to know for sure.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:56:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#10]
Re-configured some stuff.  This is the most comfortable personal rifle setup I’ve had in a while, although it’s not surprising considering it’s pretty much identical to my work rifle aside from a few minor details (shorter barrel, riser, AP Micro).  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry for the crappy cell pics.... Trying out a new light setup before taking it to work. Like it so far.

IMG_5066 by Bob Stump, on Flickr

And yes I know, the KNS pins, at first I was lazy, but now I use it as a quick reference to differentiate between my two triggers, since I'm not so great at memorizing my serial numbers.

IMG_5072 by Bob Stump, on Flickr

Time for round three...

IMG_50762 by Bob Stump, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:

I have an m4a1 rattle can build that I run my surefire can on, also painted and cooked ten times over. My unpainted mod 0 wears an M4SD2 that is also unpainted. I want to put a closed tin flash hider on the mod 0 so I could use the surefire can on my mod 0. But then I would paint my mod 0 to match the burnt up can finish. This is how my mind works...

I've been addicted to paint lately, and the mod 0 is never going anywhere, soooo, might as well?
View Quote
I'd get the NT4 for sure. It just looks right on the Mod 0.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:

I'd get the NT4 for sure. It just looks right on the Mod 0.
View Quote
I was going to start my mod 0 upper but since I can only get those weird socom pofile 10.3's, its going to wait. that barrel + an NT4 makes a 10" gun weigh more than a 14.5 carbine I think
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Can someone who knows about 511's/551's shoot me an IM to help me make sure it's legit? Pretty sure it's good to go, but want an experts eye.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TNW:
Can someone who knows about 511's/551's shoot me an IM to help me make sure it's legit? Pretty sure it's good to go, but want an experts eye.
View Quote
Saw your post about the buttons, i think the early ones were different when they just switched over from being bushnell holosights.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah past that, found a good one if it's legit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah past that, found a good one if it's legit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry if it's already been covered...but what paint do you guys use on these clones? Most of the rattle can jobs I've done appear to come out flatter.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jonesal08:
Sorry if it's already been covered...but what paint do you guys use on these clones? Most of the rattle can jobs I've done appear to come out flatter.
Thanks.
View Quote
Krylon or rustoleum camo from home depot or walmart is what I think most guys use.  Maybe some Aervoe Camo paint if you're fancy
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:48:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackfoot_7] [#20]
Originally Posted By BTooneUSMMA:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209203/20171017_201334-337324.JPG
View Quote
Are you opposed to running the ATPIAL at the 9 or 3 o'clock position in order to retain the use of the BUIS? Or running the BUIS behind the ATPIAL instead of in front?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By plinker8:

Krylon or rustoleum camo from home depot or walmart is what I think most guys use.  Maybe some Aervoe Camo paint if you're fancy
View Quote
Thanks, I'd been using the Rustoleum Camo. Guess I'll have to do some experimenting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By plinker8:

View Quote
You have me exact. In the past I primarily used Rustoleum camo colors, but I recently switched to Aervoe (Earth Yellow, Field Drab, Earth Brown, etc.) to be fancy :D. Although, I still like Rustoleum Khaki, Sand and Earth Brown - maybe I'll get crazy and try a mix of the two.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By krdt:

You have me exact. In the past I primarily used Rustoleum camo colors, but I recently switched to Aervoe (Earth Yellow, Field Drab, Earth Brown, etc.) to be fancy :D. Although, I still like Rustoleum Khaki, Sand and Earth Brown - maybe I'll get crazy and try a mix of the two.
View Quote
My rifle has Krylon Tan and Brown and Aervoe Coyote on it.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#24]

My rifle has Krylon Tan and Brown and Aervoe Coyote on it.  
View Quote
I need to get some Aervoe Coyote; their Field Drab is just too dark for spraying stuff to match Magpul FDE. I only bought it because I read several places it was the same as Coyote, but I compared FD to the Earth Brown and they are only a few shades apart. I wish Brownells carried Coyote with the other Aervoe paints they have; I could toss it into an order and get free shipping :\. DSG seems to be the only place that carries Coyote at a reasonable price. How is a man to be properly fancy without a full complement of Aervoe paints?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Jonesal08:
Thanks.
View Quote
I used the Rustoleum camo.  IIRC just brown and tan.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:20:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By krdt:

I need to get some Aervoe Coyote; their Field Drab is just too dark for spraying stuff to match Magpul FDE. I only bought it because I read several places it was the same as Coyote, but I compared FD to the Earth Brown and they are only a few shades apart. I wish Brownells carried Coyote with the other Aervoe paints they have; I could toss it into an order and get free shipping :\. DSG seems to be the only place that carries Coyote at a reasonable price. How is a man to be properly fancy without a full complement of Aervoe paints?
View Quote
Matching?

Clone?

Definitely not allowed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

Matching?

Clone?

Definitely not allowed.
View Quote
Pfft. I'm fancy, I make my own rules.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:55:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pbjunkiee] [#28]

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Cute dag.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

Cute dag.
View Quote
Im an atf agent in training
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Not starting any rumors or anything just a question but did DD lose the contract?  Ive seen them around a lot more and even the 14.5 block II lately.  I know the speculation is that G was getting the block III contrcy but is G also getting the MK18 contract too?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#32]
Originally Posted By deuc224:
Not starting any rumors or anything just a question but did DD lose the contract? Ive seen them around a lot more and even the 14.5 block II lately. I know the speculation is that G was getting the block III contrcy but is G also getting the MK18 contract too?
View Quote
Well... G did just get a contract for a 10.0 and 13.5 inch MLok rail that is loosely based on their Mk14 rail. It's called the Mk16 rail.... I have nothing to offer other than that. You can Google or look back a few pages for pictures of the Mk16 rail. About the time those became "known" DD started dumping a ton of Mk18 complete uppers and now M4A1 RIS II complete uppers on the market...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
Well... G did just get a contract for a 10.0 and 13.5 inch MLok rail that is loosely based on their Mk14 rail. It's called the Mk16 rail.... I have nothing to offer other than that. You can Google or look back a few pages for pictures of the Mk16 rail. About the time those became "known" DD started dumping a ton of Mk18 complete uppers and now M4A1 RIS II complete uppers on the market...
View Quote
Yeah i can tell by all the G 9.5 and 13 rails getting bought up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:33:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#34]
pbjunkiee

AWESOME!!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Curious to see if the 10" MK16 will be a different length than the 10" MK2. The MK2 is not SF can compatible with a 10.3" barrel - or even 10.5". I'll try and post pics later. That may sound stupid, but rail lengths given by many companies seem to vary a lot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
View Quote
Have those photos handy? I can’t find them. Ironically I just dumped all of my mod 0 stuff to build a cqbr type with a MK8. Really looking to see how they are attaching lights and what VFG they are using.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Curious to see if the 10" MK16 will be a different length than the 10" MK2. The MK2 is not SF can compatible with a 10.3" barrel - or even 10.5". I'll try and post pics later. That may sound stupid, but rail lengths given by many companies seem to vary a lot.
View Quote
Yeah the more modern Geissele rails are standard 9.5" long so they work with the standard 10.3-10.5" barrels on the market.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
I'm pretty sure it's a 9.5", not 10". I haven't seen anything that says the Mk16 is the "Block III" rail.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

I've got your civilian application for using the optic with NV: I can shoot with it while I save the money for a laser. I do realize the optic alone with NV isn't a great option, but it works fairly well in my limited experience. With NV, I can set up my optic to be used as my primary, and then later on when I have my laser I can incorporate it and have my optic already configured for passive use/backup. I'll put my irons anywhere if I run them at all... they're pretty much my last priority.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:
Yeah the more modern Geissele rails are standard 9.5" long so they work with the standard 10.3-10.5" barrels on the market.
View Quote
Yep, had a 9.5 that worked well with a 10.3. The pic posted above, though unclear, looks more like "9.5" than "10.0"
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep, had a 9.5 that worked well with a 10.3. The pic posted above, though unclear, looks more like "9.5" than "10.0"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:
If that’s a 10.3” barrel, which I’m assuming it is, that is certainly a 9.5” G rail. The Mk18 RIS II is 9.55” for a reason. You can’t go any longer and clear a can.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#45]
ok, i finally feel this is worthy to post here. as a canadian that can't own suppressors how'd i do.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By White_knight:
ok, i finally feel this is worthy to post here. as a canadian that can't own suppressors how'd i do.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4509/37132624264_b30b6965e3_h.jpg
View Quote
Wrong trigger guard.

Looks fucking killer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Wrong trigger guard.

Looks fucking killer.
View Quote
I know i know, it's KAC at least that's gotta count for something. the charging handle is getting swapped and i have an M3X on the way as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I know i know, it's KAC at least that's gotta count for something. the charging handle is getting swapped and i have an M3X on the way as well.
View All Quotes
Wrong trigger guard.

Looks fucking killer.
What color(s) did you use for the receivers?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#49]
What color(s) did you use for the receivers?
View Quote
aervoe coyote and od
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

Where’d you find that snazzy tan 99051?!
View Quote
Apparently that's the official 99051 color to have if you live in Arizona.

Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 923 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top