Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
FYI
I got hold of a Fostech upper receiver with smoother finish. It weighs 4.5 oz

The rougher texture Fostech upper receiver weighs 5oz
View Quote
That fits with what they told me:  the weight increase of the new uppers is due to the [more durable] finish.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of my parts are on the way.  Still missing a charging handle, gas block and muzzle device.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Lots of my parts are on the way.  Still missing a charging handle, gas block and muzzle device.
View Quote
Charging handle can go lots of ways with minimal penalty/gain, so pick what you like IMO.

Battle Arms Development is the clear choice on gas blocks unless you need adjustable.

Muzzle device has some more options to it but I really like the Faxon slim flash hider. Let's you pin and weld to a 14.5" barrel and still be able to pass a gas block or barrel nut over it. It's also near the top for lightweight anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rusten:
Hey breaststroker, or anyone really, have you guys actually shot your lightweight ar15’s yet?
View Quote
Yah I know where this question is coming from. I wonder the same thing myself.

I lost count a long time ago but I have around 2k through this. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By hfrog355:

Charging handle can go lots of ways with minimal penalty/gain, so pick what you like IMO.

Battle Arms Development is the clear choice on gas blocks unless you need adjustable.

Muzzle device has some more options to it but I really like the Faxon slim flash hider. Let's you pin and weld to a 14.5" barrel and still be able to pass a gas block or barrel nut over it. It's also near the top for lightweight anyway.
View Quote
I think I'm going to go Adjustable.  So probably going with the SLR Ti .625 Adjustable Gas block.  I figured as much with the Charging handle.  I like the Gieselle and the Radiant Raptor so probably will just get whichever is cheaper.  
Not doing the 14.5" with pinned route so not worried there.  So i'm definitely looking at a lightweight brake for sure.  Was looking at this site for their test results.   Seems like the Venom Defense 3-Chamber Comp is the a great muzzle reduction per price per weight.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/10/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-3/
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
DSA Titanium Flash Hider

Weighs 1 oz. exactly on my scale.  I replaced the AAC flash hider on my ACR with it.  Weighed 2 whole ounces less than that pig of a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kiran04:
DSA Titanium Flash Hider

Weighs 1 oz. exactly on my scale.  I replaced the AAC flash hider on my ACR with it.  Weighed 2 whole ounces less than that pig of a muzzle device.
View Quote
Dark hour defense makes an aluminum a2, it's the lightest functional muzzle device you can get!!! I like mine, the finish is great. To answer a previous question in this thread I do shoot my lightweight guns, but not as much or as quickly as my duty guns. You can build a lightweight AR that's more durable than a mil spec using titanium parts but it's gonna get very expensive! Most lightweight metal parts from reputable companies will last a good long time though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
I think I'm going to go Adjustable.  So probably going with the SLR Ti .625 Adjustable Gas block.  I figured as much with the Charging handle.  I like the Gieselle and the Radiant Raptor so probably will just get whichever is cheaper.  
Not doing the 14.5" with pinned route so not worried there.  So i'm definitely looking at a lightweight brake for sure.  Was looking at this site for their test results.   Seems like the Venom Defense 3-Chamber Comp is the a great muzzle reduction per price per weight.
View Quote
That's what I'm using on my 14.5" build. I haven't shot it yet but great combo of UL and good performance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
FYI
I got hold of a Fostech upper receiver with smoother finish. It weighs 4.5 oz

The rougher texture Fostech upper receiver weighs 5oz

both have a similar loose fit to a Cross Machine Tool ambi lower which can be dialed out mostly by using the lower adjustment screw under the grip area
View Quote
How'd you get one? We've all been waiting for those to come out. Pics?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JerDerv:

I lost count a long time ago but I have around 2k through this. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
https://i.imgur.com/To5i3Vx.jpg
View Quote
Such a simple, good looking rifle....
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have shot all my light weight rifles

My Ultra light AR 556 @ 2.584 pounds about 100 rounds total. Every time I change a part I shoot about 10 rounds to make sure it functions good.

My AR 6.8 SPC @ 3.26 pounds about 300 rounds

My AR556 pistol @ 2.90 pounds about 1000 rounds

My AR 308 @ 4.38 pounds about 400 rounds, every thing from 110 grain to 178 Supermax.

My walnut stocked Savage bolt 6.8 SPC II  @ 6 pounds about 200 rounds. This shoots under 0.3 MOA !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#12]
little heavier than I hoped but  adequate. " />
" />
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:05:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j_cobbers] [#13]
I like my A-Hole micro  Weighs .7 oz it's loud affordable and works nicely.

I also like my strike industries phantom CH, no latch to worry about and it's .9 oz, also not going to break the bank compared to other ambi and extended charging handles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By j_cobbers:
I like my A-Hole micro  Weighs .7 oz it's loud affordable and works nicely.

I also like my strike industries phantom CH, no latch to worry about and it's .9 oz, also not going to break the bank compared to other ambi and extended charging handles.
View Quote
@j_cobbers thank you for posting that CH.  first i'd seen of it (i rotate hobbies so one doesn't get me too burned out, and am coming back into ar building after a brief hiatus) and i like the different design.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Hey breaststroker, or anyone really, have you guys actually shot your lightweight ar15’s yet?

What’s the weight?
How does it shoot?
Would it be good for 3gun?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#16]

What’s the weight?
How does it shoot?
View Quote
Weighs 4lbs 13.5oz as pictured without the mag.  
Weighs 4lbs 7oz no optic no sling.

Shoots great, i 100% trust the rifle, i have ran several tests with a wide variate of ammo in varying conditions. I expect it to perform well with whatever i feed it, whenever i feed it.

I have never ran 3gun, i am not familiar with what specific features are favored. I would imagine that recoil control and fast target transition would be top prioritys as well as a rifle you can perform consistently with throughout the day. Any sub 5lb AR with a reduced action weight (lightweight bcg and buffer) will be easier to control and faster to get on target than a heavier gun. Reducing weight also reduces fatigue, aiding in your ability to hold the rifle steady. Reduced weight will also help with sections when you might have to run or even walk while shooting. If my rifle was a competition rifle there are things i would do differently. Even lighter action components, reduced spring rate buffer spring as opposed to the stiffer buffer spring i run. I would have gone with a muzzle break instead of an A2 comp. My goals were not to build the lightest gun or to have the softest recoil, i built to optimize the platform and to keep the rifle light without sacrificing dependability.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#17]

What’s the weight?
How does it shoot?
View Quote
https://loadoutroom.com/44182/ultralight-ar-15-ver-2-0-final-testing/

mine is down to about 3.9 lbs, or 4.75 lbs with suppressor and red dot.

shoots around 1.5-2 MOA

Don't know about 3 gun.  very little recoil

recoil vid here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5l0p1a2EHE
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Anybody Running Titanium gas Key Screws?

https://truenortharms.com/ar15_default_store_view/gas-key-screw-titanium.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Several of us are using titanium screws in the carrier key. That price is way too expensive!!!!! That's over $32 for the 2 screws BEFORE shipping.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Just saw a new thing on the New Products board: a CF buffer tube

Web site link here.  Claiming a 2.6 oz weight, which if verified puts it at .1oz lighter than the polymer AR15.com one, and it comes with AL threads.

Reminds me a bit of what Incognito Arms is doing, but allowing for compatibility with existing adjustable stocks, so while it wouldn't be able to be the lightest thing out there for a full on stock, not a bad option if you want to save some $ and still go CF in part on the back of your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By breastroker:
Several of us are using titanium screws in the carrier key. That price is way too expensive!!!!! That's over $32 for the 2 screws BEFORE shipping.
View Quote
I absolutely agree that the price is ludicrous. Just wanted to see if anybody was actually doing that. Are you running them on your ar15 an LR308 as well?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes but you have to realize my AR308 has less recoil than most AR15s of larger caliber
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#23]
So does anyone know where I can purchase some titanium gas key bolts?  Or link?  Thanks for any info on this!
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Micron:
So does anyone know where I can purchase some titanium gas key bolts?  Or link?  Thanks for any info on this!
View Quote
I want some too, and some gas block screws too!
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blAck_Rice] [#25]
Originally Posted By pscot468:

I want some too, and some gas block screws too!
View Quote
I checked with SLR as to the screw size in their/my Sentry 6 gas block and was told it's 6-32 x 5/16".  I found a few sources for those...

https://usaknifemaker.com/titanium-screw-6-32-button-head-5-16-thread-length-10pack.html - $8.29 for 10pk, Grade 2 Ti, button head not hex head

https://lunsfordracing.com/collections/standard - has some 6-32 Ti (grade 5) button heads, 4pk for $9.80

https://www.mcmaster.com/98511A311 - $8.86 for 10pk 7075 Al ... also has red and blue anodized for same price

https://www.mcmaster.com/95435A481 - $5.04 ea for Ti (grade 2)

Would aluminum be bad on the gas block, or does the heat level drop significantly from that of the barrel?

p.s.  That's for the clamp-on block.  I don't know whether the set screw blocks use the same thread size.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#26]
If I were rich, building a titanium lightweight rifle with an 18-20" barrel would be a great project.  Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

I wouldn’t want an aluminum gas block on a serious weapon, but J.P. Enterprises has aluminum gas blocks so I’d say they are GTG.
View Quote
I meant aluminum screws on the gas block, as opposed to titanium screws -- aluminum tends to bind when heated -- but if there are aluminum gas blocks, that probably answers the question indirectly!
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 5:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#29]
Originally Posted By blAck_Rice:

I meant aluminum screws on the gas block, as opposed to titanium screws -- aluminum tends to bind when heated -- but if there are aluminum gas blocks, that probably answers the question indirectly!
View Quote
Aluminum should be fine in this application. Just be sure and use a good high heat thread locker. I think I'll order some. Set screw gas blocks use 10-32x3/16
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#30]
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I would go with titanium set screws over alum as the threads might strip if you torque them on aluminum. I find you really need to clamp those set screws down to keep your gas block secure.
I was able to source some titanium set screws for the BAD titanium gas blocks. I had to order 10 of them though as they were special made. I ended up grinding off about 1/3 of the set screw to make it as light as possible. A .625 BAD gas block with the front section cut off and a titanium set screw is probably the lightest setup. If anyone wants to buy a titanium set screw pm me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By blAck_Rice:

I checked with SLR as to the screw size in their/my Sentry 6 gas block and was told it's 6-32 x 5/16".  I found a few sources for those...

https://usaknifemaker.com/titanium-screw-6-32-button-head-5-16-thread-length-10pack.html - $8.29 for 10pk, Grade 2 Ti, button head not hex head

https://lunsfordracing.com/collections/standard - has some 6-32 Ti (grade 5) button heads, 4pk for $9.80

https://www.mcmaster.com/98511A311 - $8.86 for 10pk 7075 Al ... also has red and blue anodized for same price

https://www.mcmaster.com/95435A481 - $5.04 ea for Ti (grade 2)

Would aluminum be bad on the gas block, or does the heat level drop significantly from that of the barrel?

p.s.  That's for the clamp-on block.  I don't know whether the set screw blocks use the same thread size.
View Quote
I don't think the aluminum set screws would have enough thread strength, but I have never tried them!  I do have a few lightweight rifles with aluminum gas blocks that work fine so far with hundreds of rounds on each!

Thanks for taking the time searching for and posting the screws!
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't think the aluminum set screws would have enough thread strength, but I have never tried them!
View Quote
Yeah, I'd be leery of aluminum for set screws...probably best to go with Ti for those.  For clamp-on blocks, I wouldn't think thread strength is an issue.  I haven't seen comparative torque specs, but I assume clamp-on blocks are much lower.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#34]
For the gas key, one could order these then grind them down from 8-32x3/8 to 8-32x1/4

http://www.ti64.com/product-p/6710.htm

Not sure if that's what other guys have done or not.

Has anyone ever found a Ti version of the 8-40 x 1/2 Torx Aero UL scope mount screws? I Can't seem to find Titanium 8-40 torx in any length.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Less than an ounce they say. TYR defense Ti grips.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo-RX7BnaMR/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1t4w2w6uhnb0u
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BKKJ] [#36]
Looks like 3/4 oz for pistol and 5/8 for foregrip.

Video of them getting weights:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmwoFi8n0SJ/?hl=en&taken-by=tyrdefenseindustries
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#37]
It seems like they can 3D print any material nowadays, but that's the first I've heard of titanium.  Incognito Arms better hurry up and get their overdue CF grip to market now that it's almost obsolete in the weight savings game!
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#38]
If TYR Defense could make these shorter it could be closer to 0.60 ounces.

Someone quick get one of these cheap for the price and weigh it on a more appropriate scale, in grams as it is more accurate.

I don't mind all the holes, make the grip hold better to the hands.

I spoke with TYR Defense just now. They will be putting the titanium grip on their web site late next week. They also will give Veterans a discount.

He is going to weigh a grip in grams for me, later today.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#39]
So here's a question for you all: What's the lightest you've gotten a "practical" or duty-type setup, with no real compromise on durability? Just weighed my 20" barrel ultralight, came in just a hair under 5 lbs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Just what is a
  a "practical" or duty-type setup
View Quote
? Should it be as tough as the ARs used in "Lone Survivor"? I don't think running over it with a 20 ton truck qualifies, nor does dropping the rifle off a 20 foot roof.

A reasonable standard would be able to fire after dropping it from shoulder height, be able to always fire every time with no failures to feed and no failures to eject.

My 4.35 pound AR308 will easily meet those standards and keep shots under 1.5 MOA with many types of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Just what is a  ? Should it be as tough as the ARs used in "Lone Survivor"? I don't think running over it with a 20 ton truck qualifies, nor does dropping the rifle off a 20 foot roof.

A reasonable standard would be able to fire after dropping it from shoulder height, be able to always fire every time with no failures to feed and no failures to eject.

My 4.35 pound AR308 will easily meet those standards and keep shots under 1.5 MOA with many types of ammo.
View Quote
I suppose that's a bit subjective, isn't it? For me, the standard is "not significantly less durable or reliable than a similarly-equipped rifle from a major company that is not focused on weight;" say from Daniel Defense or one of the other major boutiques. Shoulder-height drop is a decent metric but I'd include the ability to clear a malfunction through mortaring, as well as the ability to do push-ups off it, as that's a pretty good way to test the structural weak-points of a rifle. Unfortunately, the prices of these parts being what they are, one becomes a little hesitant to put these metrics to the test . StW ratios and other numbers can tell a lot, though, and I did manage to scrounge up a review that said the Smoke Composites stock was able to handle mortaring just fine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#42]

What’s the weight?
How does it shoot?
View Quote
Might be fun for close bay style shooting or fun 2 gun matches.

But, most top 3gun shooters use much heavier rifles with heavier barrel profiles. Never seen an ultralight like this at a 3gun match. But the ones I have attended have quite a bit of precision longer range stuff.
Although I have seen some fairly light mid length rifles. I use as 14.5" lightweight on matches that are 300 yards and under. But it's still heavier than anything here. Probably 7-8 lbs with optic (never weighed mine).

Lighter guns are not necessarily faster, actually many feel heavier guns are faster. They shoot flatter and are not as squirrely. You have to be able to hit long range flashers out to 500 yards and whatnot (from odd positions), as well as very fast doubles at close range. Lighter weight doesn't really help. Check out some Daniel Horner or Miculek vids. Never seen a top guy with anything like this. Just my limited experience and opinions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I think the LW guns are really well made for longer events where you need to carry everything with you. I'm planning on running mine at this:

http://sotdrunandgun.com/
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eazy_tom] [#44]
Someone has probably done this already but here's the weight for the BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Grip Mod 1
edit- Grip screw and washer are not being weighed, just the grip.

Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice work posting both the calibration weight and the grip weight in grams.

What did they make that out of, lead? Converts to 2.96301 ounces
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:03:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hfrog355] [#46]
Comfortable though. My favorite grip.

Random ask: Does anyone have a TA33 sitting around collecting dust they'd like to turn into cash? I'm looking for a second hand one because new is outside what I can spend. PM me if so.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#47]
What did they make that out of, lead? Converts to 2.96301 ounces
View Quote
2.8 to 3.0 oz is typical for non-minimalist grips, especially ones with a compartment cover.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Well I ended up parting out my build. I still have a Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel with pin/weld slimline flash hider for sale in the EE if anyone is looking.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Styer:
Well I ended up parting out my build. I still have a Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel with pin/weld slimline flash hider for sale in the EE if anyone is looking.
View Quote
 What section is it listed in?  I looked but did not see it.   Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#50]

What section is it listed in?  I looked but did not see it.   Thanks
View Quote
Unaffiliated with seller but found the link.

It's right here
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top