Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ar15joe:

@jekbrown
adding to my LW 11.5 pistol build

Troy Fixed Front HK style sight - 42g
magpul m-lok poly rail section (3 slot - smallest avail?) 5.35g
m-lok hardware for magpul rail section - 6.36g (two bolts two mlok nuts)
TLR-4 light/laser (circa 2006?) - 80.1g
View Quote
Copy that, in Vegas currently, will add data when I get home.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking at this low cost UTG RMR high mount it has a hollow channel cut through so you can peep through it to the muzzle

Why doesn't someone make an integrated Ghost Ring rear sight from the RMR mount? Then one can have a short Stubby front fixed sight that is below the RMR and inline with the integrated Ghost ring???

Super light and always available. No springs to fail and less to break off. No need for RMR QD mount either

Does someone already make this system of integrating a rear ghost ring and a low profile fixed front sight system?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatcha doing in Vegas?

You want to shoot at Clark County range on Friday? Being retired I can shoot anytime.

I have a lot of rifles you can shoot, try my 4.46 pound AR308, or either of my 22 Noslers, or my 7.62x39 AR, or my 3.2 pound 6.8 SPC.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By breastroker:
Whatcha doing in Vegas?

You want to shoot at Clark County range on Friday? Being retired I can shoot anytime.

I have a lot of rifles you can shoot, try my 4.46 pound AR308, or either of my 22 Noslers, or my 7.62x39 AR, or my 3.2 pound 6.8 SPC.
View Quote
Getting on a plane tomorrow morning, but that woulda been pretty awesome! I was only here relaxing for a couple days at the end of our 2 week hiking trip through UT and AZ.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]
So everyone knows that Brigand Arms makes the lightest hand guards, but I'm looking at taking a generic 12" CF rail I bought from Delta Team Tactical a while ago (yes that DTT, and yes I already have it in hand) and cut it down to about 7" and remove some of the rails to make a custom light weight rail.  

This is the rail I'm talking about: Generic 12" CF rail

Currently the hand-guard with the mounting system minus the front ring is 6.6 oz.  Plan to take off the rail sections at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock  and trim the top rail to fit, and pair it with at V7 Ti GI style barrel nut.

I anticipate that I'll want something to stabilize the inner diameter of the front ring, much like the now defunct AP custom CF handguards. I'll need to measure the ID and find some kind of pipe or other material to insert without being very thick.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#6]
Originally Posted By j_cobbers:
So everyone knows that Brigand Arms makes the lightest hand guards, but I'm looking at taking a generic 12" CF rail I bought from Delta Team Tactical a while ago (yes that DTT, and yes I already have it in hand) and cut it down to about 7" and remove some of the rails to make a custom light weight rail.  

Currently the hand-guard with the mounting system minus the front ring is 6.6 oz.  Plan to take off the rail sections at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock  and trim the top rail to fit, and pair it with at V7 Ti GI style barrel nut.

I anticipate that I'll want something to stabilize the inner diameter of the front ring, much like the now defunct AP custom CF handguards. I'll need to measure the ID and find some kind of pipe or other material to insert without being very thick.

Thoughts?
View Quote
https://mcsus.com/products/aluminum-barrel-nut Here's an aluminum GI barrel nut if you wanna be a guinea pig!!! Nobody has been brave enough to try it!!! Be that guy cobbers. We all believe in you!!! :D
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#7]
i like a good customizing job...I'll be curious to see the results and the final weight. Gonna be tough to beat the BA, but if you NEED a 12 o'clock rail, this could be a good/light way to do it, and cheap too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:33:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lightpaw] [#8]
Since you've already got the cut down CF rail, that mod should work OK. If buying new, the guntec usa 7" with Alum. barrel nut and mounting screws is 6.5 oz.

Thoughts?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pscot468:

https://mcsus.com/products/aluminum-barrel-nut Here's an aluminum GI barrel nut if you wanna be a guinea pig!!! Nobody has been brave enough to try it!!! Be that guy cobbers. We all believe in you!!! :D
View Quote
LMAO, I am sure there is a reason no one want's to be the guinea pig, I haven't quite gone so far down the LW rabbit hole that PB receiver parts are something I'm willing to test. Besides it doesn't have a listed weight! :P  I'll go with V7, I've used some of their parts on my first LW build and they have a solid rep.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#10]

LMAO, I am sure there is a reason no one want's to be the guinea pig, I haven't quite gone so far down the LW rabbit hole that PB receiver parts are something I'm willing to test. Besides it doesn't have a listed weight! :P  I'll go with V7, I've used some of their parts on my first LW build and they have a solid rep.
View Quote
Meh :P It's not like it's expensive, lol. The only reason aluminum GI barrel nuts aren't common is the teeth can break off if you use too much torque or a lousy wrench. If it's 7075 aluminum then great, if it's 6061 then it'll still be fine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
i like a good customizing job...I'll be curious to see the results and the final weight. Gonna be tough to beat the BA, but if you NEED a 12 o'clock rail, this could be a good/light way to do it, and cheap too.
View Quote
@jekbrown

I got a couple flash hiders to tame my 5.56 pistol 11.5 build

weights are:

AAC (no suppressor mount) BlackOut 3 Prong = 86.25g ( I believe you already have this in the PWD)
but this one I don't believe you have
JP Enterprises Flash Hider 3 Prong JPFH-556L = 99.5g

wishing for someone to come out with a Titanium 3 or 4 prong version.... ;)
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice! I'll add the data tonight. I agree that there's some work to be done on the LW FH front. Not only are most of them heavy steel, they just aren't designed with weight savings as a main consideration. I've seen brakes that are, but not many flash hiders. The flaxon slim one does, but more because of diameter restrictions than anything else.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#13]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:

@jekbrown

I got a couple flash hiders to tame my 5.56 pistol 11.5 build

weights are:

AAC (no suppressor mount) BlackOut 3 Prong = 86.25g ( I believe you already have this in the PWD)
but this one I don't believe you have
JP Enterprises Flash Hider 3 Prong JPFH-556L = 99.5g

wishing for someone to come out with a Titanium 3 or 4 prong version.... ;)
View Quote
You should check out tactical advantage armory. They have a ton of titanium flash hiders.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#14]
This can get bad quick.
Ok, now that I have most of my rifle figured out, what is a lightweight mount for an Aimpoint T-1, or T-2?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:
This can get bad quick.
Ok, now that I have most of my rifle figured out, what is a lightweight mount for an Aimpoint T-1, or T-2?
View Quote
SLR and ScalarWorks are both pretty light.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoelK] [#16]
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:
This can get bad quick.
View Quote
Fortis

Edited to add:  Scalarworks appears to be in the process of redesigning their mounts, and the weights have gone up a little.  I will post a weight of their new RMR mount when mine comes in (although I would have rather gotten the old version).
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#17]
quick PWD update: after a few weeks 'off' to travel with my wife, I'm back in the saddle. As far as I know, all data posted in the thread while I was away has been added. Thanks, as always!

Also, for a long time I've been saying that I'll prolly get a Shield RMS for my UL SBR. The more I think about it, the longer it takes for good #s to get in the country, and the more reviews I see, the more I am thinking of going in another direction. I do not like the reviews that mention battery doors being jammed shut. Not good! Since they use the same mounting pattern, I'm thinking of using the Shield poly mount with a DeltaPoint Pro. The DPP is one of the lightest metal micro red dots around...and the poly riser is hella light as well. The Shield is $400+...and the DPP, every once in a while, can be had for $330 (recent PSA sales price). I think that'd be the better option. Still wanna try the double-height Shield poly riser and Ti screws set up though...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By pscot468:You should check out tactical advantage armory. They have a ton of titanium flash hiders.
View Quote
a. thanks for the tip on a new manufacturer!

b. holy dog poo, I hope their products are better than their www site. Kudos for them posting all the data I need, negative cool points for making the sight almost unviewable due to scaling / lack of scroll option on their site. I had to select all / copy / paste every page into a wordpad doc and then track down the info in there. meh!

All of that said, ALL of their 556 muzzle devices have been added to the PWD.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#19]

a. thanks for the tip on a new manufacturer!

b. holy dog poo, I hope their products are better than their www site. Kudos for them posting all the data I need, negative cool points for making the sight almost unviewable due to scaling / lack of scroll option on their site. I had to select all / copy / paste every page into a wordpad doc and then track down the info in there. meh!

All of that said, ALL of their 556 muzzle devices have been added to the PWD.
View Quote
Well i used to use their birdcage on my lightweight build, and I've been running their 50 Beowulf muzzle brake for over a year and it's still attached, lol. It's definitely titanium!!! Seems to be good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#20]
yeah, I kinda wish someone made a short Ti version of the Faxon slim FH. The steel one is an ounce...so being smaller and Ti it would be hella light.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#21]
hmmmm...not sure why I hadn't done this previously, but I added all 16 bbl options that Aero Precision offers to the PWD. Also checked with them to confirm plastic mil spec handguard weights. They say the carbine and rifle ones weigh the same. Seems...odd.

edit: also added all the bbls from BAD....
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Carbine hand guards are fatter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#23]
true, but fat enough to make up for 5" of length difference and wind up at the exact same weight down the the hundredth of an oz?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I think some of you were looking for Ti cam pins.

Omega has them in stock.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By larrys:
I think some of you were looking for Ti cam pins.

Omega has them in stock.
View Quote
Nice!!! i bought mine like 2 years ago, it's still in perfect shape.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#26]
anyone know where to buy the Leitner-Wise esights?

I should have everything I need to finish my lightweight build except for the buis.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
damn, its hard to keep up with all the companies that arfcom hates. What did he do, and what other buis are good, light, and not too expensive?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:13:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#30]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#31]
LW...and BUIS?  

Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#32]
New Scalarworks leap RMR with a type 1 RMR

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#33]
LW...and BUIS?  

View Quote
Not really Buis. More just IS.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#34]
@dodge223

Any way to get separate weights for the rmr and mount?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Monday
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#36]
Originally Posted By nottooslow:
anyone know where to buy the Leitner-Wise esights?

I should have everything I need to finish my lightweight build except for the buis.
View Quote
I use a bobro rear and a rosch slm-1 front. They're the lightest that aren't plastic or leitner wise. The plastic that i refer to are the MFT sights. I have 2 SLM-1's from back when v7 sold them under their name.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:38:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#37]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Dodge223:
Monday
View Quote
Awesome, thanks amigo!
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodge223] [#39]
@jekbrown

Eta: Scalerworks Leap/RMR absolute cowitness

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:06:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#40]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
Check out the weight on this 14.5" barrel J.P. Enterprises offers...

Chamber: .223 Wylde
Length: 14.5"
Gas System: Mid-length
Twist: 1:8 button rifled
Contour: .500 under hand guard/.500 in front of gas block/.740 at muzzle
Diameter at Gas Block: .750
Muzzle Threads: 1/2"-28 TPI
Material: 416R Stainless
Weight: 18 oz.

I know there are a few lighter barrels out there, but this is one of their Super Match barrels.

It's a shame it's .750 on the gas block
View Quote
That should actually be about .4 oz lighter than the Faxon 14.5 pencil. That price though ouch! I’m not looking for that kind of quality/accuracy with a LW gun. Damn I need to find someone with a lathe!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Breastroker have you seen the v7 high profile 308 magnesium handguard? Right now all they have is 15" but when they make a 10-11" it'll be the lightest metal handguard you can get. And that's with a titanium barrel nut.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeh it is sweet, 308 is larger diameter so magnesium is the best way to lighten it.

But still HEAVY compared to my carbon fiber plus aluminum barrel nut @ under 3 ounces

I have a couple of the ultra light carbon fiber tubes, even have the 308 tube on my under 3 pound AR 15 in 556. I put a CF shim between the larger diameter 308 hand guard and the light weight AR 15 aluminum barrel nut
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Interesting thing I came across: an adjustable Al stock that uses a detent in a proprietary buffer tube. The mfg said by email that they will be making one to thread right into the receiver instead of a folding apparatus and by itself it weighs 7.5 oz. link

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:22:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#44]
yeah, DF makes good stuff. I have one of their MCS pistol set ups, it's pretty slick and has been very reliable thus far.

PWD edit: all Holosun options currently manufactured have been added. All AR15-related parts from Manticore Arms added as well, though I don't have a weight for their enhanced bolt catch yet...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By check-raiser:
Interesting thing I came across: an adjustable Al stock that uses a detent in a proprietary buffer tube. The mfg said by email that they will be making one to thread right into the receiver instead of a folding apparatus and by itself it weighs 7.5 oz. link

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351839/Screenshot_2017-10-19_at_2-337934.JPG
View Quote
Now that's some cool stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By breastroker:
Yeh it is sweet, 308 is larger diameter so magnesium is the best way to lighten it.

But still HEAVY compared to my carbon fiber plus aluminum barrel nut @ under 3 ounces

I have a couple of the ultra light carbon fiber tubes, even have the 308 tube on my under 3 pound AR 15 in 556. I put a CF shim between the larger diameter 308 hand guard and the light weight AR 15 aluminum barrel nut
View Quote
Yeah, i'm not a big fan of the carbon fiber tubes, i like a more modular design. My lightweight builds aren't bare bones guns, i like having a full suite of features, being able to run a bipod, backup sights, port door, etc. I'm hoping i can get an aluminum barrel nut that'll be compatible with the v7 handguard, blacklabelholsters does limited runs of custom parts sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SgtRed] [#47]
I measured some stuff with my biggest loser kitchen scale.
DSA Titanium Extended A2 = 1.4 oz
BFG ULoop 1.25" = .3 oz
2A gen1 BL M-Lok 9.6" rail (no nut) = 5 oz
2A SR M-Lok 9.6" rail (no nut) = 5.3 oz
2A Aluminum Nut = 1.1 oz
2A Titainium Nut = 1.9 oz
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SgtRed:
I measured some stuff with my biggest loser kitchen scale.....
View Quote
data added!  
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:42:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Curious for folks on a budget here, how light are you able to get with off-shelf parts, a 16" barrel, adj gas, full rail that covers gas block, and some kind of sights?

I'm at about $800 at 4lb., that's with a poly lower, couple more oz with mag tac lower, aim lw bcg, smoke composites stock, faxon 16" 4150, etc.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:17:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#50]
Originally Posted By lightpaw:
Curious for folks on a budget here, how light are you able to get with off-shelf parts, a 16" barrel, adj gas, full rail that covers gas block, and some kind of sights?

I'm at about $800 at 4lb., that's with a poly lower, couple more oz with mag tac lower, aim lw bcg, smoke composites stock, faxon 16" 4150, etc.
View Quote
Well i'm at 3.35 lbs. I've got a tegra lower, blackthorne polymer upper, Faxon 4150 pencil barrel, 10 in bcm magnesium rail with custom aluminum barrel nut, Shield SMS red dot, smokes stock, arson a-hole micro aluminum brake, and a jp aluminum carrier with adjustable gas key. Getting to 4 lbs can be done on a budget, no problem. Every ounce under that will COST. I'm talking throwing every dollar you have at every part of the gun until your obsession becomes unhealthy and people think your AR is a bb gun :D Of course results may vary!!! The only things i could do to get lighter are get a Faxon stainless barrel, go down to 14.5 inches and permanently attach something, brigand handguard, ETC... I'm gonna stop now, lol i'm happy where i'm at!!!!
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top