Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pscot468:
Soo the San tan tactical aluminum bolt catch appears to be available on cheaper than dirt. But on the San tan tactical website it says it's steel 🤔 anyone laid eyes or hands on one of these???
View Quote

i took one for the collective...

If it's aluminium it's awefully magnetic...

Weight 3/8oz... I didn't bother with grams.... it's clearly not what was described.

Don't order it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

Material?
View Quote

I'm sorry, they're titanium. It however doesn't give me an exact grade though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ahrion:
I found gas ti key screws that are about 140k psi and aren't the tapered socket head screws. They say it's a parallel socket head screw. Anyone know the difference between this and socket head?
View Quote

Pretty straightforward, the parallel socket head has a 'head' with sides that are parallel (rectangular in profile)...while tapered get narrower the closer to the top you go (trapezoidal in profile).
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

Good question. If they were consulting, they picked the right person. Not blowing smoke-- as far as I know 'stroker is the foremost expert on the planet when it comes to ultralight 308 ARs. Definitely one of the best resources in the entire thread.
View Quote

Okay so he's the plug to go to when I pick up my POF Rogue?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:22:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#7]

Source?

The ones I ordered from McMaster Carr are Grade 2 and only 50,000 psi. 
View Quote

https://www.ti64.com/product-p/6716.htm

140ksi is 140,000 psi. Grade 8 is 150,000 so it's close.  According to the description, it looks like this would work and a regular allen wrench would too. I would expect it to be about the same or better than a grade 8 alloy socket head as a result of less stress while heated.  I'm sure there's a scientific name for that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:53:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:17:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#9]

Actually the U.S. abandoned the term “SAE Grade 8” for socket head cap screws in the eighties.

The U.S. Standard is ASTM A574

The tensile strength of ASTM A574 Socket Head Cap Screws is 170,000 psi.

Socket head cap screws are not grade designated as are hex head cap screws. A standard inch series socket head cap screw is 20% stronger than a Grade 8 hex head cap screw and 50% stronger than a Grade 5 hex cap screw. The tensile strength is a minimum 180,000 psi for sizes 1�?�2′′ diameter and smaller and 170,000 psi for 5�?�8′′ diameter and above (Tensile strength may vary according to heat treatment and manufacturer.) Low head, flat head and button head cap screws are rated 10,000 psi lower due to the head configuration and are seen more in lighter duty applications.

As an alternative drive, Torx Plus (Star Head) screws offer more contact points allowing for a higher level of torque transfer and extended tool life. Additional benefits include faster tool engagement and reduced camout and end load.

I use only ASTM A574 Torx Plus in my carrier key screws.

If you look MANY bolt carrier’s have the key mounted with screws marked Y F S, those are Chinese manufactured!

https://i.imgur.com/MmeJxPy.png
View Quote

Thank you for correcting me. I also didn't know about YFS.  I'm kind of confused though because there are some bolts that McMaster offers that aren't astm a574 but yield higher tensile strength than the torx plus @180k psi. https://www.mcmaster.com/92562A219
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:03:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#10]
so what IS our current source for Ti gas key screws and gas block set screws? I'm going to be collecting the rest of the parts for my non-NFA ultralight at some point.

Also, I forget, did we ever find a Ti replacement for the BCG firing pin retainer?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:08:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#11]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
so what IS our current source for Ti gas key screws and gas block set screws? I'm going to be collecting the rest of the parts for my non-NFA ultralight at some point. 

Also, I forget, did we ever find a Ti replacement for the BCG firing pin retainer?
View Quote

The above link would be the closest and best source so far for ti gas key screws. In terms of block, it's to my understanding all of them are different.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#13]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

The above link would be the closest and best source so far for ti gas key screws. In terms of block, it's to my understanding all of them are different.
View Quote

Well sure, but anyone building an ultralight (to the point of using Ti set screws!) would probably be using one of the lightest 2-3 options. BAD Ti is what I'll be using in this build...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Taccom 223 Three Stage Recoil System
https://taccom3g.com/product/223-three-stage-recoil-system/
1.83 oz, however I'm 100% sure that my scale is off.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Micron:
That's a crazy of a long wait in my opinion!  I have never used them so cant help you there.  I do know I would have moved on by now and spent the cash elsewhere but I'm not real patient any more! (OLD)
Liking the build you got there! Show us when its all finished up please!
View Quote

@Micron

Don't know my weight yet, but noticeably lighter than my 10" 300 blackout. Just finished last night so no range report yet.

12" space force build in 6.5 grendel

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Dude, get you some Unimags while they're still in stock.  $20 at RDS:

https://rossdefensesystems.com/products/unimag
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Dude, get you some Unimags while they're still in stock.  $20 at RDS:

https://rossdefensesystems.com/products/unimag
View Quote

Thanks I ordered 2
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#19]
This is a new idea I'm working on, meant for permanently attaching to a 14.5" barrel.  I still have some analysis work to do to optimize it for weight and manufacturability but this first iteration is already approximately .5 oz.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#20]
If there's still enough meat when you create the flats, might as well make it octagonal on that end to remove a little more material.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andyglidewell] [#21]
That's an easy weight loss idea, it also should make it slightly cheaper to make.  Thanks for the suggestion!  It's hard to tell but it thins out a lot in the center and comes back inward at the end all internally. It's going to be a titanium 3d print.  Also the OD is less than .625".
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:31:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#22]
My original though was to have flutes the same shape as the current holes that ran from the existing holes down through the threaded end. Pretty shallow probably, but it would add continuity with the rest of the design.

Also,.I don't know jack about material science, but how does printed Ti hold up to high temps / muzzle blast?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't really find this answer anywhere, but what are the lightest free floating handguard (that aren't carbon fiber/polymer or tubes) that use the standard barrel nut?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:25:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Dumb question: why? What problem calls for such criteria?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
My original though was to have flutes the same shape as the current holes that ran from the existing holes down through the threaded end. Pretty shallow probably, but it would add continuity with the rest of the design.

Also,.I don't know jack about material science, but how does printed Ti hold up to high temps / muzzle blast?
View Quote

Printed Ti should have no issues. I still need to analyze it but the amount of open area in it should probably make the stress it sees from muzzle blast really low. The main things I'm worried about are whether it sends debris back into your face when you shoot it.  That and the process is expensive.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Issued weapons.  The drop-in free-float handguard that looks most like a KAK RAS is the now discontinued DD Piston Omega.  The narrower Omega is still available.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Adams Arms piston build.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#28]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

Adams Arms piston build.
View Quote

Hmmm, hadn't really been concerned with that in the past, but I can see how some might be. I'll add a field for this in the PWD. Until I can figure out how I'd like to do that, here's a list it compatible rails...

https://www.adamsarms.net/support/kb/faq.php?id=4

You could filter the rail sheet by the length you want, and then just run down the list top to bottom until you run into a compatible rail?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Hmmm, hadn't really been concerned with that in the past, but I can see how some might be. I'll add a field for this in the PWD. Until I can figure out how I'd like to do that, here's a list it compatible rails...

You could filter the rail sheet by the length you want, and then just run down the list top to bottom until you run into a compatible rail?
View Quote

So far the lightest one I found was the faxon slimline Carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:16:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#30]
Originally Posted By andyglidewell:
This is a new idea I'm working on, meant for permanently attaching to a 14.5" barrel.  I still have some analysis work to do to optimize it for weight and manufacturability but this first iteration is already approximately .5 oz.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172608/Screenshot_20200523-082734_CAD_Assistant-1429067.JPG
View Quote

This is a really cool project! I’m envious of you guys with the fancy tools! 😁

I don’t think you will have enough wall thickness for wrench flats with an OD of .625 though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You'd have to verify that the AA piston kit will clear the inside of the Faxpn Carbon handguard.

Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#32]
I was so impressed with the Smoke Composites hand guard that I went ahead and ordered one of the 10” Battle Arms carbon fiber rails.
It’s made by Smoke.
It is advertised at 5.2 oz on their site and it weighed in just a fraction over that at 5.243 oz including barrel nut and screws.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#33]
So how much did the barrel nut weigh? Total please
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:46:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By breastroker:
So how much did the barrel nut weigh? Total please
View Quote

Unfortunately I already installed it, I didn’t weigh the barrel nut separately.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 2:17:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Has anyone seen or used these? Was looking around for a light carrier to throw in a 6.8 Dissy build, and stumbled upon this skeletonized Ti one from RCA:  https://rubbercityarmory.com/product/titanium-black-ti-carrier-only-ti-ultralight-profile/

They seem to claim 3.9 ounces with gas key and nothing else.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By WriterClarke:
Has anyone seen or used these? Was looking around for a light carrier to throw in a 6.8 Dissy build, and stumbled upon this skeletonized Ti one from RCA:  https://rubbercityarmory.com/product/titanium-black-ti-carrier-only-ti-ultralight-profile/

They seem to claim 3.9 ounces with gas key and nothing else.
View Quote

Damn.  I have their standard Ti BCG, not I need a skeletonized one.

My sad little wallet weeps.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:09:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WriterClarke] [#38]
Not really looking into buying one of the Ti ones, just thought there'd be people interested in one since I hadn't seen that one in this thread before.

Got a line for a JP LMOS carrier for 175$ new from a company I already buy parts from, so I'm likely gonna nab that soon. The rifle I'm putting it in isn't a lightweight build, so I'm not worried about squeezing out every ounce I can get on this one. Guess I'm looking for a smoother cycling gun, and I always hear that the LMOS is smooth as can be.

Edit:  Since I'm gonna be running an LMOS with a Superbolt, might as well go full goof. Anybody run an LMOS with a POF roller cam pin and gas key? Seems like a fun option to run around with
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, got tired of the sorta mismatched nature of my lightweight build, and swapped out the Brigand stock for a Doublestar ARFX Skeleton stock. Jumped up the weight from 4.7 lbs to a little over 5 lbs at this point, need to snag a scale again to confirm the specifics.  

Now I just need to offload the stocks I'm starting to collect.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#40]
How are the plastic upper and lower holding up?
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
How are the plastic upper and lower holding up?
View Quote

No issue with roughly 600 through the tube. The Kaiser's are just about the only polymer receivers that I've held that don't flex easy, even when trying to crush the mag well by hand. Feels even more solid now that I've replaced the Brigand stock.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 4:54:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#42]
Originally Posted By WriterClarke:
Well, got tired of the sorta mismatched nature of my lightweight build, and swapped out the Brigand stock for a Doublestar ARFX Skeleton stock. Jumped up the weight from 4.7 lbs to a little over 5 lbs at this point, need to snag a scale again to confirm the specifics.  

https://i.imgur.com/EvCDlCR.jpg

Now I just need to offload the stocks I'm starting to collect.
View Quote

Nice looking gun. I was looking at the  Doublestar stock for my Vepr12, how do you like it?
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:11:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By larrys:

Nice looking gun. I was looking at the  Doublestar stock for my Vepr12, how do you like it?
View Quote

I really dig it, always preferred fixed stocks and it is probably my new favorite outside of my AUG's stock.

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#44]
If it's allowable:

Giving a heads up.  Likely going to have to part out my ultralight build, wanted to give the bro's and bra's of the UL build group a first dibs on parts before the EE.  Specs to follow
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Handled a JP aluminum carrier today and the titanium firing pin.  Holy hell that thing weighs nothing!
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 1:06:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:
If it's allowable:

Giving a heads up.  Likely going to have to part out my ultralight build, wanted to give the bro's and bra's of the UL build group a first dibs on parts before the EE.  Specs to follow
View Quote

intrigued...hopefully you're not being forced to sell due to job loss etc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#47]

intrigued...hopefully you're not being forced to sell due to job loss etc.
View Quote

No, it's better than that.  Buying a dream piece of property to raise our kids on, but it's at the ragged edge of our budget.  Need earnest $ and inspections etc.

Building the ultralight was a joy, and an exercise in the potential of the platform.  This doesn't represent the end of my ultralight interest, but it is a good point to restart and apply my knowledge to doing it again, better!
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 5:26:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#48]
Awesome, congrats. I just closed on my 'range property' myself. 12.26 ac of prime south texas cactus/grass, lol. No restrictions of any kind. Can't wait to start shooting there. Gonna start with a 50yard pistol/shotgun/rifle range first, just need to build the berm system / shoot house. Eventually I plan on having a big berm and a 100/200/300 yard range there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow, congrats and good luck to both of you!
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By larrys:
Wow, congrats and good luck to both of you!
View Quote

Thanks!  Like Jekbrown I'll be able to build a range on my property... 100 yards at least and maybe up to 200 yards if I get the angles right.  Will make reviewing guns a lot more time-streamlined
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top